Bacon meat loaf

Sundancer7
  • Total Posts : 13389
  • Reward points : 0
Bacon meat loaf - Wed, 02/2/11 2:52 PM
Apparently this is a old Armour recipe.  I have never ever tried it but I was wondering if any of you ever did?  I think I would except I would like to know that if you did, how did you like it?

http://eatocracy.cnn.com/2011/02/02/lunchtime-poll-where-do-you-get-your-recipes-and-a-bacon-meatloaf-bonus/?hpt=C2

Thanks
Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17838
Re:Bacon meat loaf - Wed, 02/2/11 3:14 PM
I'm having computer problems today and when I tried to open the URL for the bacon meatloaf recipe it, as countless other sites, knocks be off the internet. When you say bacon meatloaf do you mean the meatloaf is either topped with bacon or wrapped with bacon before cooking? I ask because I've always covered the top of my meatloaves with bacon

Greymo
  • Total Posts : 3663
Re:Bacon meat loaf - Wed, 02/2/11 3:28 PM
Paul, this does not sound like a great recipe to me.  In my opinion, I think it is pointless to buy lean beef and lean veal and then mix it with 1/4 pound ground bacon.  I would think that you would get enough bacon flavor with the bacon draped over the top.  It also calls for no seasonings at all.  I would not make it but maybe someone else has different ideas about it.

boyardee65
  • Total Posts : 1457
Re:Bacon meat loaf - Wed, 02/2/11 3:28 PM
 I also like to wrap my meatloaf with bacon and then douse it with BBQ sauce when it is almost done. I also like to grind up some bacon and add it to the mix, especially if the beef is lean. MMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!

David O.

Sundancer7
Re:Bacon meat loaf - Wed, 02/2/11 3:30 PM
Michael Hoffman

I'm having computer problems today and when I tried to open the URL for the bacon meatloaf recipe it, as countless other sites, knocks be off the internet. When you say bacon meatloaf do you mean the meatloaf is either topped with bacon or wrapped with bacon before cooking? I ask because I've always covered the top of my meatloaves with bacon

Michael, I am sorry that you are having issues and I hope it was not with my post.

They totally wrapped the meatloaf top and bottom with bacon.  I guess it was a bit of a meatloaf sandwich with bacon as a bread.  Quite frankly, it looked delicious.  I just wondered if it would be a bit greasy?  I always double up on onions, jalapeno's and other spices.  I noticed that the recipe called for veal?  I always use good burger and spicy sausage.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Sundancer7
Re:Bacon meat loaf - Wed, 02/2/11 3:34 PM
Greymo

Paul, this does not sound like a great recipe to me.  In my opinion, I think it is pointless to buy lean beef and lean veal and then mix it with 1/4 pound ground bacon.  I would think that you would get enough bacon flavor with the bacon draped over the top.  It also calls for no seasonings at all.  I would not make it but maybe someone else has different ideas about it.

Greymo:  Thanks for your opinion.  Quite frankly I would not make it like that myself as I double up on onions, jalapeno's and lotsa other spices.  I also use a tomato paste on top and I do not think that would work well with bacon.o think I will make it though and I will modify the recipe to my personal taste.

Incidentally, the recipe is older than I am.  It was a Armour recipe in the 1920's or 30's

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17838
Re:Bacon meat loaf - Wed, 02/2/11 3:39 PM
Paul, I don't think you'd get too much fat from the bacon, but if that's a problem you can always bake your meatloaf in a special meatloaf pan that has an insert to hold the meatloaf and drain holes in the bottom o the insert to allow the drippings to go into the outer part of the unit.

Here you go:
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/usa-pan-goldtouch-nonstick-meatloaf-pan-insert/
<message edited by Michael Hoffman on Wed, 02/2/11 4:00 PM>

Foodbme
  • Total Posts : 9567
Re:Bacon meat loaf - Wed, 02/2/11 4:41 PM
I use 80/20 Ground beef and that supplies enough grease flavor to the loaf. I'll occasionally put bacon strips on top.

Mosca
  • Total Posts : 2935
Re:Bacon meat loaf - Wed, 02/2/11 5:53 PM
80/20 probably passed for lean in 1925.

fabulousoyster
  • Total Posts : 1855
Re:Bacon meat loaf - Sun, 02/6/11 10:25 AM

Thats a real oldie but goodie.  I've made a bacon wrapped meat loaf, I did'nt like it because it really overpowered the whole meat loaf.  I prefer a meatloaf with pork  and veal in it, but not that bacon flavor.  I my meatloaf is baked with a 1/2 cup of ketchup over it.  Its an old Julia child recipe, over 30 years old I clipped from a newspaper.  Its so good, you could eat it cold in a sandwhich. 

ann peeples
  • Total Posts : 8317
Re:Bacon meat loaf - Sun, 02/6/11 10:30 AM
I actually prefer cold meatloaf the next day over hot from the oven.

BackAlleyBurger
  • Total Posts : 1077
Re:Bacon meat loaf - Sun, 03/20/11 4:26 AM
one idea for a menu item i have is a bacon meatloaf sandwich....
but i plan on cooking the bacon first, then crumbling it up into the mix before loafing it....
also, instead of the cap of ketchup/paste, it would be cooked down, sort of like a meatloaf marinara and applied like ketchup from a bottle

Foodbme
  • Total Posts : 9567
Re:Bacon meat loaf - Sun, 03/20/11 4:51 AM
I'd cook the Meatloaf sans bacon. Since my main objective for making a meatloaf is to make sandwiches, I'd make a MBLT.
I'd cook the bacon separately and add the meatloaf to a BLT with mayo and good rye bread!!

pnwchef
  • Total Posts : 2237
Re:Bacon meat loaf - Sun, 03/20/11 7:07 AM
I know they didn't season much back in those days but they could have used salt and pepper, never saw a recipe like this without onions. I was going to make it but I ran out of Cloverbloom eggs, darn it I thought I had a few left................

Michael, did the bacon clog your hard drive...???????????

EdSails
  • Total Posts : 3581
Re:Bacon meat loaf - Mon, 03/21/11 7:29 PM
I do enjoy making bacon covered meatloaf. When I do, I try to get a peppered bacon from Stater Brothers Market. It adds a nice kick!