best broasted chicken

Junior Burger
2011/02/04 16:46:18
there was a place on hempstead turnpike in east meadow,ny
the name escapes me,but i can still smell and taste that chicken,we had it for my birthday every year
joerogo
Filet Mignon
Re:best broasted chicken 2011/02/04 16:52:27
Zorn's?
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:best broasted chicken 2011/02/04 18:49:53
1)  Go to:  http://www.broaster.com/slocator.htm

2)  Enter zip code for Easy Meadow, NY:  11554

3)  You will find 19 stores serving broasted chicken within 30 miles of East Meadow. 

I hope that one of them is the store from your happy birthday memories!
fishtaco
Double Cheeseburger
Re:best broasted chicken 2011/02/09 16:01:34
Havn't had broasted chicken in years. Need to get some.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re:best broasted chicken 2011/02/09 17:34:41
As far as I know, we have only one place in all of Dallas that does broasted chicken. I've eaten there and their chicken is great but, the neighborhood is real "iffy" and I probably wouldn't return.
tkitna
Double Cheeseburger
Re:best broasted chicken 2011/02/10 04:58:17
Breezy Heights on 844 heading to Washington PA
Sfreader
Double Cheeseburger
Re:best broasted chicken 2011/04/15 11:09:13
Fishtaco,

In November I tried broast chicken again for the first time in 35 years. Either they were having a bad day, or my tastes have changed. I thought it was tough and didn't have that much flavor.
Re:best broasted chicken 2011/04/15 12:15:57
Any place that has the Henny Penny Broasted chicken system, will be good.
MellowRoast
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:best broasted chicken 2011/04/15 12:56:56
The Broaster chicken I've had locally is quite good, but they can have a bad day for sure. 
post edited by MellowRoast - 2011/04/15 13:01:16
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
Re:best broasted chicken 2011/04/15 13:38:28
I wondered what broasting was.  Evidently it is just pressure-frying of breaded and seasoned chicken using a particular manufacturer, Broaster Company's equipment.  Other than the manufacturer, it doesn't mean anything different than KFC chicken, which is made using the same process.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broasting

I don't see why one would care who manufactures the pressure fryer.
MellowRoast
Re:best broasted chicken 2011/04/15 15:57:52
post edited by MellowRoast - 2011/04/15 17:04:50
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:best broasted chicken 2011/04/16 08:00:17
tkitna

Breezy Heights on 844 heading to Washington PA

Been there. 

Done that. 

IT WAS WONDERFUL!!!
RodBangkok
Cheeseburger
Re:best broasted chicken 2011/04/16 08:57:57
Reading this makes me think of when I decided to do our own secret recipe for pressure fried chicken.  Took me a long time to get it the way I wanted it, sort of KFC, but KFC as I remember it from the early days.  It is my most guarded secret recipe, but it would never have been possible without pressure frying.  The combo seems to go very well together, chicken, spiced coated flour and a pressure fryer.  Broaster from Wisconsin sells a franchise, Henny Penny was, I believe the first company to make a commercial pressure fryer and I believe still supplies the KFC franchise, but anyway their equipment is top quality and a lot of their base products are resold refurbished with updated controllers.  For home use I developed our spice blend using Fagor standard pressure cooker/fryers, a great product also, and about the only stove top pressure cooker that can be used for pressure frying.  The other product that does well in a pressure fryer is potatoes, Shakeys has a potato product that used to sell very well, I forget the name of the original, but I make those once in a while at home never went well beyond my home fryer though.  Have not had the Broaster brand chicken in many years, would be fun to taste their coating again.
Jimeats
Filet Mignon
Re:best broasted chicken 2011/04/16 09:31:42
I've had broasted, very good the few times I had it. I love a good southern fried chicken pre soaked in butter milk. BUT my new favorite is Korean fried chicken, damn where has that dish been all my life. Very addicting. Just may be in my dinner plans tonight. Chow Jim
RodBangkok
Cheeseburger
Re:best broasted chicken 2011/04/16 10:36:04
Yes..well the other KFC!  No real secrets here, use corn starch in a higher percentage to wheat flour.  The wheat flours gluten can effect the coating, depending on other ingredients and toughen the coating.  Then the other trick in most oriental cooking is double or even in some cases triple frying at stepped up temps.  Ever see a Chinese chef take a whole roasted duck and drop it in a hot wok full of oil, basting it to get the skin uniformly crisp, well that can apply to a lot of other dishes as well. So double fry, then dip and serve in sauce at the very last minute.  
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:best broasted chicken 2011/04/16 16:41:05
I have noticed at a lot of the Pilot Travel Centers that they offer Broasted chicken. At least I think it is broasted?  My opinion only is that it is very tasty.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
gostillerz
Cheeseburger
Re:best broasted chicken 2011/04/27 17:32:43
Around Pittsburgh, there are/were gome good places. I grew up on Carrick Poultry on Brownsville Rd. Frisch's in Whitehall or by the Cloverleaf on 51 are good too.

There's a place I found when I moved to Beaver County called Harold's Inn in Aliquippa. I went there on a Saturday afternoon once, and people were coming in non-stop getting chicken and potatoes. 10, 20, even a 100 count order. Well that made up my mind on what to get and it was very good. Only problem is it's over $10 for a 3pc and potatoes. I just can't justify high prices on what is supposed to be cheap food.

I've fried chicken in a pressure cooker, and while not safe, it was some of the best chicken I've had. Pressure canners are a better bet as the one my mom has includes a regulator. Cookers use up to 15, where to fry you only need about 5 bars or psi (can't remember).
californyguy
Double Cheeseburger
Re:best broasted chicken 2011/04/27 18:10:07
and another vote for Breezy's near washington pa.....a true  quinesstential roadfood place  !!
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:best broasted chicken 2011/05/23 15:39:32
MellowRoast

The Broaster chicken I've had locally is quite good, but they can have a bad day for sure. 

BroastedTM chicken involves the not only the equipment but also the process, marinade, breading, and spices. 

I have enjoyed it at the late, lamented Whitey's in Arlington, VA, McClure's Grocery in Farmersville, TX, and the above-mentioned Breezy Heights.  All had the same thin, uniform, crispy crust and a moist, tender, juicy interior.
ces1948
Re:best broasted chicken 2011/05/23 21:07:00
MetroplexJim

MellowRoast

BroastedTM chicken involves the not only the equipment but also the process, marinade, breading, and spices. 

I have enjoyed it at the late, lamented Whitey's in Arlington, VA, McClure's Grocery in Farmersville, TX, and the above-mentioned Breezy Heights.  All had the same thin, uniform, crispy crust and a moist, tender, juicy interior.

I too also thought that to serve true "Broaster tm" you had to follow all the steps outlined by you above. We had three places in the tri-cities region of NE Tennessee that served broaster chicken and though they were not affiliated with each the chicken was nearly identical. The difference seemed to be how long it sat around after being cooked. If they strictly follow the plan it should all be the same.
gregys
Cheeseburger
Re:best broasted chicken 2011/05/30 20:38:08
There is a chicken place in Pleasant Hills Pa. From what I can remember, been there at least45 years. I like it. It non greasy non oily, very dry. It's almost a little too dry after refrigeration. It's called Chicken Derby, in one of the oldest shopping centers in the nation, also by one of the oldest cloverleafs. Also great hoagies and stuff. Near Pittsburgh.

Greg
shiafirst
Junior Burger
Re:best broasted chicken 2011/06/07 11:32:24
KFC is the best place for having Chicken broast, because the specialty is that they use corn starch and wheat flour to make it crunchy. Mostly, I eat Chicken Broast, when ever we go out for dinner.
It's my favourite dish...!
eruby
Double Cheeseburger
Re:best broasted chicken 2011/06/07 13:16:13
shiafirst

KFC is the best place for having Chicken broast, because the specialty is that they use corn starch and wheat flour to make it crunchy. Mostly, I eat Chicken Broast, when ever we go out for dinner.
The last couple of times I was at KFC, the chicken wasn't that good and was hardly crunchy.  The very last time I went, the counter clerk was taking a gigantic drag off a cigarette in the parking lot and then jettisoning the butt.  We both got to the counter (on opposite sides) at the same time and the clerk had obviously not washed. The reek drove me away and i've not been back.

gregys - are you talking about the center at Rt 51 and Lebanon Church?  I think there's a Brass Rail, or Brass Elephant there as well. The Chicken Derby was excellent there a few years ago, I hope it's still there and thriving. 

ces1948
Re:best broasted chicken 2011/06/07 13:41:59
Broasting has been around a long time. Though I don't personally remember having it, there was a little drive-in called Monty's in my hometown of Tulare, Calif. They were advertising their "Famous Broasted Chicken" back in the 50's
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:best broasted chicken 2011/06/07 14:21:12
eruby

shiafirst

The last couple of times I was at KFC, the chicken wasn't that good and was hardly crunchy.  The very last time I went, the counter clerk was taking a gigantic drag off a cigarette in the parking lot and then jettisoning the butt.  We both got to the counter (on opposite sides) at the same time and the clerk had obviously not washed. The reek drove me away and i've not been back.

gregys - are you talking about the center at Rt 51 and Lebanon Church?  I think there's a Brass Rail, or Brass Elephant there as well. The Chicken Derby was excellent there a few years ago, I hope it's still there and thriving. 

eruby - My last visit to the local KFC/Taco was just as off-putting and caused me to leave first the drive-thru and soon thereafter (I was hungry) the service counter.  All the quality control personnel at Yum Brands must be focusing on China.
shiafirst - KFC as I have experienced it for the past decade has increasingly become more "breading" than meat.  The "11 herbs & spices" the Colonel cooked with were meant to compliment the meat, not overwhelm it.  Judging from the last portion of "Kung Pao" I was served, the ChiComs may well prefer breading to meat.  The breading on BroasterTM Chicken is thin and crispy.  Tasty, too.