McDonald's Chipotle BBQ Bacon Angus Disaster

Double-chop Porterhouse
2011/02/05 17:08:56
As some folks here know I frequently grab coffee at McDOnald's.  Pretty darned good. Well today I decided to try something new called a Chipotle BBQ Bacon Angus burger. They say it is a one-third pound burger patty, and it may well be. But it was terrible.

I thought I might be having a problem when I saw who was working the pickup window. It's a weekend and that seems to be when they have their least competent people working. When she handed me the large coffee and the bag with one hand I knew I'd better check. I looked into the bag and found something called a filet O fish box, and an order of their potato things. So I parked and went inside to get what I'd ordered.
When I got home I started eating the burger. First, not the slightest indication of chipotle. Not a bit of heat. It was nearly drowning in very sweet "barbeque sauce." The bacon was dead, and the burger, well -- the last time I saw anything that dry they called it Death valley.
post edited by Michael Hoffman - 2011/02/05 17:13:43
Greymo
Filet Mignon
Re:McDonald's Chipotle BBQ Bacon Angus Disaster 2011/02/05 17:31:01
It  is  wha t you deserved....................You  should have gone to  Crabill's!
sk bob
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:McDonald's Chipotle BBQ Bacon Angus Disaster 2011/02/05 17:31:49
love your reviews Michael.always very discriptive.
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
Re:McDonald's Chipotle BBQ Bacon Angus Disaster 2011/02/05 18:43:55
I had a coupon for one of their new (at the time) 1/3-pounder burgers when they came out.  I didn't like it.  I can deal with their bitty burgers, but the large one had too much of the frozen, compressed, clam-shell-cooker taste.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:McDonald's Chipotle BBQ Bacon Angus Disaster 2011/02/05 18:53:30
This was the first of those one-third pounders for me. The "chipotle" got me to try it.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:McDonald's Chipotle BBQ Bacon Angus Disaster 2011/02/05 18:56:18
"McDonald's (insert any of their sandwich items here) Disaster" is an excellent exeplar of redundance!
MellowRoast
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:McDonald's Chipotle BBQ Bacon Angus Disaster 2011/02/05 19:19:17
Hope you're enjoying their free coffee through the 14th.  Saw the commercial for the chipotle burger yesterday, and had my doubts.  Glad to have the tip.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
Re:McDonald's Chipotle BBQ Bacon Angus Disaster 2011/02/05 22:02:07
Yeah, it was McDonalds - expecting anything other than disaster was expecting too much
Re:McDonald's Chipotle BBQ Bacon Angus Disaster 2011/02/06 12:19:41
Michael Hoffman

As some folks here know I frequently grab coffee at McDOnald's.  Pretty darned good. Well today I decided to try something new called a Chipotle BBQ Bacon Angus burger. They say it is a one-third pound burger patty, and it may well be. But it was terrible.

I thought I might be having a problem when I saw who was working the pickup window. It's a weekend and that seems to be when they have their least competent people working. When she handed me the large coffee and the bag with one hand I knew I'd better check. I looked into the bag and found something called a filet O fish box, and an order of their potato things. So I parked and went inside to get what I'd ordered.
When I got home I started eating the burger. First, not the slightest indication of chipotle. Not a bit of heat. It was nearly drowning in very sweet "barbeque sauce." The bacon was dead, and the burger, well -- the last time I saw anything that dry they called it Death valley.

So, did you like it or not?

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:McDonald's Chipotle BBQ Bacon Angus Disaster 2011/02/06 14:56:02
Oh, yeah. It was great. So good, in fact that I went back today to get another cup.
kishkaeater
Cheeseburger
Re:McDonald's Chipotle BBQ Bacon Angus Disaster 2011/02/08 14:17:32
Always buy a McDouble as a backup plan.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:McDonald's Chipotle BBQ Bacon Angus Disaster 2011/02/08 14:47:08
Ah, a McDouble. With no pickles, please.
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:McDonald's Chipotle BBQ Bacon Angus Disaster 2011/02/08 15:24:58
I have never eaten one of McDonalds "premium" burgers, and from all reports, I shouldnt bother.
Scorereader
Sirloin
Re:McDonald's Chipotle BBQ Bacon Angus Disaster 2011/02/08 15:50:51
I don't mean to cause a ripple here, but you once saiid you wouldn't order a burger that was well done and you had no choice...in a Five Guys forum. And then went on to slam Five Guys for that.

Yet, here, you actually tried a McDonald's burger?
And said, "Ah, A McDouble. With no pickles please." Isn't that well done? I do believe both patties are well done.

So, have you tried Five Guys and not liked it, or are you still against Five Guys because as a concept they cook their burgers through - even though you eat burgers that are cooked through?

Either way, I can't believe you tried that. Besides, in Columbus, you should be going to Wendy's, to support your "local" business.

sonjaab
Cheeseburger
Re:McDonald's Chipotle BBQ Bacon Angus Disaster 2011/02/08 16:10:44
LOL!
dimmie2
Cheeseburger
Re:McDonald's Chipotle BBQ Bacon Angus Disaster 2011/02/08 16:56:59
annpeeples

I have never eaten one of McDonalds "premium" burgers, and from all reports, I shouldnt bother.

If the burgers have all the veggies on them, I'll try 'em but I don't want mounds of patties, cheese and sauce with just pickles.  Got to have the lettuce, tomato, pickles and sometimes onions.
Greymo
Filet Mignon
Re:McDonald's Chipotle BBQ Bacon Angus Disaster 2011/02/08 17:02:33
This is how I feel.  When  hungry,  I am happy to pay  a dollar for a doubleburger at McDonalds.  It meets my expectations, which are none but cheap and cheerful.  However,  at  seven dollars,  I would never  again  pay the  price of a 5 guys burger.........................it is over done and over priced.   I can get a burger cooked rare with  all the  fries that one can eat for  8 dollars at my  local  pub.  The  burger comes with lettuce and tomato and up to three additional toppings!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:McDonald's Chipotle BBQ Bacon Angus Disaster 2011/02/08 17:08:19
Scorereader, the McDoubles I get don't seem to be well done. They've been moist and flavorful. I'd guess them at medium. Now that chipotle, bbq thing was beyond well done.
Scorereader
Sirloin
Re:McDonald's Chipotle BBQ Bacon Angus Disaster 2011/02/09 01:37:43
no, MH, they are well done. All McDees  burger are cooked through. No pink in a McDouble. I know, I get them too, on occasion. I think the moistness is grease and oily cheese. Still, it's a buck.

If we're mincing words with "no pink" v. "well done," I would argue the burgers I had at Five Guys were no pink, not well done. But that's my experience.

@greymo - please keep in mind, I have NEVER been to a franchise location of Five Guys. I have only been the locally, and corporate (I guess) owned locations in ALexandria - neither of which are a franchise, but two of the only remaining "original" locations.

I won't sully my experience by going to the franchise.

In the same way, the only Nathan's I'll go to, is at Coney Island.
jaylhorner
Cheeseburger
Re:McDonald's Chipotle BBQ Bacon Angus Disaster 2011/02/09 10:36:32
I saw an ad for the burger on television last night.
The next ad was for Lipitor!
Re:McDonald's Chipotle BBQ Bacon Angus Disaster 2011/02/09 11:39:54
McDonalds coult trot out dirty belly button burgers, and sell millions of them, amzing the power of advertizing!