BEST BURGER AND FRIES IN KANSAS CITY

Junior Burger
2011/02/05 18:24:30
If you're in Kansas City and are looking for a great burger and fries head to Liberty( suburb to the  northeast right off I-35 ) and go to the bowling alley there, Retro Bowl. This place used to be called McBowl but it still has the great food they were famous for.

Make sure you order one of two items on the menu:

1) The "300 Burger"........two 1/4 lb. fresh patties and cheese. Comes with crinkle cut fries and a drink for about $7.
2) The "800 Burger".......three 1/4lb. fresh patties and cheese. Comes with crinkle cut fries and a drink for about $8.

The condiment bar has almost any type of fixin' you could want to customize your burger. At lunchtime this place is packed with a line all the way out the door. Doctors, plumbers, lawyers, college kids, housewives, delivery men, everybody comes here for the burgers.
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:BEST BURGER AND FRIES IN KANSAS CITY 2011/02/06 02:09:18
Any particular significance to the "300" and "800" assigned to each burger?  Calorie count, perhaps?

Mrs. Roadhouse is a St. Joe native.  We're in town at least a couple times a year, so your tips are appreciated.

Buddy
Re:BEST BURGER AND FRIES IN KANSAS CITY 2011/02/06 14:25:16
Buddy, I take it you're not a bowler.

300 is a perfect game and scoring 800+ for a 3-game series is a major achievement, so I'm guessing Retro uses the numbers as superlatives.

Brad
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:BEST BURGER AND FRIES IN KANSAS CITY 2011/02/06 15:37:42
SC, you are correct, I'm not a bowler.  More importantly, although I do know that 300 represents a perfect score, I simply didn't make the connection between Retro Bowl and the aptly named burger.  Also, I did not know about the significance of the 800 number, so that further threw me.

Thanks for the enlightenment,

Buddy
kennyb
Cheeseburger
Re:BEST BURGER AND FRIES IN KANSAS CITY 2011/02/06 16:49:34
i'll be working over there in a few weeks. i'll get there and try one. can't be better than big bams in shawnee though. they have the best burgers.
collinf
Cheeseburger
Re:BEST BURGER AND FRIES IN KANSAS CITY 2011/02/20 09:58:04
Along with Big Bam's in Shawnee, KS that kennyb mentioned, I would also like to add Grandstand Burger in Merriam off of Merriam Lane and Antioch.  THey have excellent burgers, tater tots and shakes.  Their fries are okay, but nothing special.
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
Re:BEST BURGER AND FRIES IN KANSAS CITY 2011/02/20 10:01:41
collinf

Along with Big Bam's in Shawnee, KS that kennyb mentioned, I would also like to add Grandstand Burger in Merriam off of Merriam Lane and Antioch.  THey have excellent burgers, tater tots and shakes.  Their fries are okay, but nothing special.

I've eaten there since I was a kid, but I don't know whether
the same folks run it.
kennyb
Cheeseburger
Re:BEST BURGER AND FRIES IN KANSAS CITY 2011/02/21 10:09:20
i just heard of the grandstand the other day. will be visiting real soon. was in Salina over the weekend and went to the cozy inn. very good little sliders.
kennyb
Cheeseburger
Re:BEST BURGER AND FRIES IN KANSAS CITY 2011/03/19 17:14:52
just went to grandstand. very tasty burger. had a double cheese with everything. very filling. will be going there again as it is right on our way to resturat depot. the wait was 40 minutes but worth it.
zataar
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:BEST BURGER AND FRIES IN KANSAS CITY 2011/03/19 19:13:08
bill voss

collinf

I've eaten there since I was a kid, but I don't know whether
the same folks run it.

Bill, only the same people if they are the first Desert Storm veterans. Good burgers still.
zataar
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:BEST BURGER AND FRIES IN KANSAS CITY 2011/03/19 19:15:02
Big Bams just doesn't wow us. Underseasoned everything when we've been there. But the people are SO nice! Very pleasant owner and cooks. Which is enough for us to go ocassionally just to support them.
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
Re:BEST BURGER AND FRIES IN KANSAS CITY 2011/03/19 21:30:00
My grandfather was actually born in what was then South Park in 1880 or so. :)
Sfreader
Double Cheeseburger
Re:BEST BURGER AND FRIES IN KANSAS CITY 2011/06/23 12:07:30
Grandstand is good, but Snak Shack on Santa Fe (also in Overland Park) is very impressive. Organic and/or local ingredients. Very limited menu good burgers, vegiburgers (which I haven't tried), and great grilled cheese sandwiches, plus fresh cut fries and rings.  Cash only.
collinf
Cheeseburger
Re:BEST BURGER AND FRIES IN KANSAS CITY 2011/06/24 11:22:08
Sfreader

Grandstand is good, but Snak Shack on Santa Fe (also in Overland Park) is very impressive. Organic and/or local ingredients. Very limited menu good burgers, vegiburgers (which I haven't tried), and great grilled cheese sandwiches, plus fresh cut fries and rings.  Cash only.

Is that the place in old downtown Overland Park that used to be a Wheat State Pizza?  I've heard other people say good things about them, too.  I need to get over there.

-Collin
Sfreader
Double Cheeseburger
Re:BEST BURGER AND FRIES IN KANSAS CITY 2011/06/27 09:11:27
That is place, right next to the park. There are only stools at counters for seating in the small store, but they have several tables outside.

Warnings:
All burgers come with cheese unless you tell them otherwise.
All burgers are cooked welldone unless you tell them otherwise.
Once again - cash only, though they have added an ATM.