sonic

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Cheeseburger
2011/02/23 18:04:20
i saw the sign board at sonic said they now have chicago dogs. bet they are real tasty.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:sonic 2011/02/23 18:11:00
I don't know about that, but I had a footlong chili dog there a few days ago that was mighty tasty.
dimmie2
Cheeseburger
Re:sonic 2011/02/24 11:51:38
Nothing wrong with Sonic.  The ones back home had some great food on their menu. 
kland01s
Filet Mignon
Re:sonic 2011/02/24 11:55:26
There are Sonic's in the Chicago area now so just adding something to appeal to the local market probably.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:sonic 2011/02/24 17:13:39
Haven't seen Sonic Chicago Dogs yet in my neck of the woods. Was there list Weekend. They may be testing them somewhere. I also like Sonic Chili Dogs. Mustard, Chili and Onions, no Cheese.
kennyb
Cheeseburger
Re:sonic 2011/02/24 19:14:34
i guess i've been around sonic too long. or maybe because i don't eat fast food. i maintain sonics with my landscape business and after awhilke the smell isn't great.
felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:sonic 2011/02/24 21:54:55
As with just about any restaurant you spend too much time around. There's a burger place that vents near our arena's employee entrance, and even though I love their burgers (hand-made patties, never frozen) after spending too much time smelling them I'd rather graze on the lawn than eat one.
stricken_detective
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:sonic 2011/02/25 01:34:18
We have a Sonic now, but everyone at work says the ones in the South have better food. No one knows why.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:sonic 2011/02/25 01:45:30
felix4067

As with just about any restaurant you spend too much time around. There's a burger place that vents near our arena's employee entrance, and even though I love their burgers (hand-made patties, never frozen) after spending too much time smelling them I'd rather graze on the lawn than eat one.

We have a 5 Guys that you can smell the onions cooking for a 2 block area.

dimmie2
Cheeseburger
Re:sonic 2011/02/25 13:03:50
stricken_detective

We have a Sonic now, but everyone at work says the ones in the South have better food. No one knows why.

I tend to agree.  The ones in Texas are very good and can outdo just about any other burger joint.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:sonic 2011/02/25 13:37:05
stricken_detective

Not Surprised. Their Corp Office is in Oklahoma City. Not enough grease caked on the grills up North yet to get that "Sonic Flavor"!

post edited by Foodbme - 2011/02/25 13:39:12
bartl
Re:sonic 2011/02/25 20:33:08
My main problem with Sonic is that I HATE to eat in the car, and the food would be cold if I brought it home. Which means that I will only eat at the ones with the tables, which means it has to be a nice day. Result: I pretty much don't eat at Sonic.

Bart
Wabbit
Cheeseburger
Re:sonic 2011/02/26 11:16:27
They still have the best Limeaide of any chain!
kishkaeater
Cheeseburger
Re:sonic 2011/02/26 12:03:30
I love their limeade but hear that it's just Sprite with a squeeze of lime and a Maraschino Cherry added.
ces1948
Re:sonic 2011/02/26 15:37:30
I like the cherry limeade and the ice cream stuff more then the food.
post edited by ces1948 - 2011/02/26 15:38:58
dimmie2
Cheeseburger
Re:sonic 2011/02/26 16:16:07
Wabbit

They still have the best Limeaide of any chain!

Very true.  The ones we've gone to, you can watch them make the limeades with real limes being squeezed in, the water added and the sugar syrup. 

Many of the Sonic Drive-Ins we've seen, have tables out front so you can enjoy your meal outside the car. 
felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:sonic 2011/02/26 19:28:30
dimmie2

Many of the Sonic Drive-Ins we've seen, have tables out front so you can enjoy your meal outside the car. 

Which works really well in California. Not so much in New Jersey. At least not in the winter.
stricken_detective
Re:sonic 2011/02/26 22:13:30
Does anyone know why it takes them 10 full minutes AFTER you pull up to the window to finish out an order of JUST DRINKS????!?!?!?! Inquiring minds wanna know...
mar52
Sirloin
Re:sonic 2011/02/26 23:05:47
They're squeezing the limes.
felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:sonic 2011/02/27 01:54:33
Maybe they have more orders than just yours to process, and they make them in the order received?
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:sonic 2011/02/27 06:55:47
I am going back to the reference to a chicago style dog. Its not that hard IF they have all the right ingredients, which are available thru any food service.The key would be the type of hotdog they are using, and of course the neon green relish!
cavandre
Re:sonic 2011/02/27 07:49:08
felix4067

dimmie2

Which works really well in California. Not so much in New Jersey. At least not in the winter.

Or Florida in the summer.

ces1948
Re:sonic 2011/02/27 10:01:35
The last time I was there my order took just under 4 minutes at the drive-thru. I had a CB, tots and a coke. I had to eat in my car because although the temperature was probably about 70 degrees the wind was blowing 30mph so the tables would have been an adventure. An unfortunate by-product of eating in the car was the smell of onions lingered for a few days.
HollyDolly
Re:sonic 2011/03/09 13:31:24
Just saw the ads for their Chicago and other dogs on the local San Antonio TV channels.I'd like to try the Chicago dog,maybe after I get blood work done and find out how the old chlorestorol is going. Splurge a little.Since there are two in Schertz, and one is in walking distance from my house, it would be a nice to sit outside in the evening and eat outdoors.
IntelligentT82
Cheeseburger
Re:sonic 2011/03/09 13:55:39
The Chicago Dog looks real good on that Sonic Commercial.  Too bad we don't have any Sonic locations in Alexandria.
stricken_detective
Re:sonic 2011/03/11 01:46:59
felix4067

Maybe they have more orders than just yours to process, and they make them in the order received?

I call BS, all they have to do is push buttons, I've seen them do it through the windows. I think they just don't have enough people working there. Most other places have a separate drink fountain for the drive thru & I think they don't which is another factor. It's just frustrating because the food there is horrible, so you wait 10 minutes for drinks, leaving no time to get anything else.

Great. Now I want an Ocean Water.
SassyGritsAL
Re:sonic 2011/03/11 12:26:35
Love the Pickle O's, diet strawberry limeaid (w/extra strawberries), and their Sonic burger w/mayo. The $1 burger is really good too, can add cheese to it for a small xtras charge. I miss the hot fudge cake sundae though (discontinued here).
MellowRoast
Re:sonic 2011/03/11 13:12:50
I've seen the 1/4 lb. footlong here, but no Chicago dog yet.  Would like to see one on the menu, though.
post edited by MellowRoast - 2011/03/11 15:08:23
IntelligentT82
Cheeseburger
Re:sonic 2011/03/11 13:56:36
Here's a link to the new dogs at Sonics.

http://www.sonicdrivein.c...ion.do?sectionId=52407
felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:sonic 2011/03/11 22:28:53
stricken_detective

felix4067

I call BS, all they have to do is push buttons, I've seen them do it through the windows. I think they just don't have enough people working there. Most other places have a separate drink fountain for the drive thru & I think they don't which is another factor. It's just frustrating because the food there is horrible, so you wait 10 minutes for drinks, leaving no time to get anything else.

Great. Now I want an Ocean Water.

So if you come in and order something that is simpler than what the person who got there ahead of you ordered, you should be waited on first? That would annoy the crap out of me if I was the person ahead of you. Whether or not all the person taking the order has to do is push buttons, someone still has to make the food.
stricken_detective
Re:sonic 2011/03/13 17:59:37
Yeah, if a family of 4 orders $20 worth of food, and all I order is a soda, you bet your sweet bippy I should get my soda first. That would be if I went inside the restaurant, though. Many places now just hand you a cup & let you have at it.

If you are sitting parked at the little stall with the menu board @ Sonic, clearly you have more time than someone who chooses to go through the drive through. And yes, maybe they do need to hire someone just to do the drinks.

Greymo
Filet Mignon
Re:sonic 2011/03/13 18:08:05
I have never heard of anyone being served first  when they just order a drink.  Perhaps  you should go to where you are ordering food and get your drink there.  It would save a lot of time for you.
felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:sonic 2011/03/14 00:30:56
Greymo

I have never heard of anyone being served first  when they just order a drink.  Perhaps  you should go to where you are ordering food and get your drink there.  It would save a lot of time for you.

Exactly my point. First come, first served, as a rule.
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:sonic 2011/03/14 10:04:09
Unfortunately my friend Aimee, first come, first served in a drive thru. I dont think too many people just order a drink.Now if life were perfect, the order taker would recognize that you only ordered a drink, and get it themselves. Thats what they do at most restaurants( like Mcdonalds) drive thrus. To me, Sonic sounds like they dont have a good ordering system down in that respect.
stricken_detective
Re:sonic 2011/03/14 11:03:44
Unfortunately Sonic's food is not something I would ever eat again. Which is a shame since we had their commercials up here for 10 years before we had a restaurant close enough to try. We were excited to try it, but it was a major disappointment.

I may have to tag team it with a coworker. One person goes to Sonic, the other to wherever else we were going to go that day.

jajarino68
Cheeseburger
Re:sonic 2011/03/15 16:48:06
I don't know if I made the right decision in ordering the Sonic Chicago dog. This was my first ever Chicago dog and I am really hoping that is not what it is suppose to taste like. It resembled a Chicago dog very well, as far as the pictures I have seen. It had all the ingredients that it should according to the Vienna website. I didn't like the quality of the dog. I've had good dogs from the NE and this dog did not compare. And I did not like the celery salt. I felt it was excessive and overpowered the rest of the ingredients.

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:sonic 2011/03/15 17:20:21
From the For What It's Worth Department:

I recently e-mailed Sonic headquarters to ask whether the jalapeno burger that my grandson used to love when we'd stop at the Sonic in Nelsonville, Ohio was still available anywhere. It's not on the menus of any of the Sonics around Columbus. A couple of days later I received a phone call from the manager of the Sonic in Nelsonville -- a toll call -- telling me it's a regional thing and is still on the menu there. He invited me to stop by next time I'm in the area and have one on Sonic.

I'd say that's real customer service.
felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:sonic 2011/03/15 19:52:25
jajarino68

And I did not like the celery salt. I felt it was excessive and overpowered the rest of the ingredients.

Which is how I have felt about every Chicago dog I have ever eaten, regardless of whether I'm eating in within view of Wrigley Field or in the back bayous of Louisiana.
ScreamingChicken
Filet Mignon
Re:sonic 2011/03/16 09:57:36
Does Sonic use the same kind of hot dog as the base for its 4 specialty dogs?  It seems like that would be the cost-effective approach but at the expense of tradition.

Brad
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:sonic 2011/03/16 14:53:27
ScreamingChicken

Does Sonic use the same kind of hot dog as the base for its 4 specialty dogs?  It seems like that would be the cost-effective approach but at the expense of tradition.

Brad

In the chain food operations, cost effectiveness far outweighs tradition. You can bet your Slurpee they're not buying Vienna Beef for the Chicago Dog and selling it for a Buck 99!
pnwchef
Re:sonic 2011/03/16 18:50:30
For a Buck 99 they are giving a all beef dog, that's a plus........If they have a all beef dog, they can't screw that much up with the other ingredients....
pnwchef
Re:sonic 2011/03/16 20:14:15

louisvilleCraig
Junior Burger
Re:sonic 2011/03/17 00:19:23
I know technically this thread is about the Sonic Hot Dogs, but since it's just labeled "Sonic"...I will share a not so good Sonic story from over the weekend.

Ex and I about 1pm Sunday afternoon decide FF Breakfast sounds good...and the only place in these parts (since we have no Jack in the Box or anything like that) that serves Breakfast at 1pm on Sunday is Sonic. Sounds good to me.

We each get the Supersonic Breakfast burrito deal...was tasty going down...but 12 hours later it was rotten coming back up. We both got sick, and since we dont live together or anything, and we were both sick about the same time, and fine 24 hrs later AND had no fever, we surmised it was the Sonic.

Which sucks, because I like Sonic...I dont frequent it alot, since I really dont live on that side of Town, but still...

Cant think of it now....
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:sonic 2011/03/18 16:36:20
I saw the Sonic advertisments about their hot dogs.  We have one about eight miles from my residence.  I decided to form my own opinion and I bought all four different varieites along with their onion rings.  Unfortunately it was a waste of time and money.  None of the hot dogs were tasty, the dogs were sorta cold and chewy and the onion rings were tasteless.  Live and learn.

I was really looking forward to a nice treat.  Even my ugly dog would not touch tem.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN 
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:sonic 2011/03/18 19:09:48
sundancer7,
I had just the opposite experience about 30 minutes ago. I only ordered one - The New York Dog - Sauerkraut, Brown Spicy Mustard and Onions. The Hot Dog and kraut was hot, the buns were warm, soft and fresh. The Kraut was tasty. The hot dog was ok, nothing special.Looked like a 6-7/1. The only minus was the kraut was not drained very well and the bun got a little soggy toward the last bite. Overall for $2.00, not bad. I've had worse. 
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:sonic 2011/03/18 19:50:46
Foodbme

sundancer7,
I had just the opposite experience about 30 minutes ago. I only ordered one - The New York Dog - Sauerkraut, Brown Spicy Mustard and Onions. The Hot Dog and kraut was hot, the buns were warm, soft and fresh. The Kraut was tasty. The hot dog was ok, nothing special.Looked like a 6-7/1. The only minus was the kraut was not drained very well and the bun got a little soggy toward the last bite. Overall for $2.00, not bad. I've had worse. 

I am glad you enjoyed your investment  Obiously it worked well for you.  Sonic was my place of choice many years ago but unfortunately for me, it has changed.  I am glad that you enjoyed it.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

pnwchef
Re:sonic 2011/03/20 07:35:59
Sundancer7

I saw the Sonic advertisments about their hot dogs.  We have one about eight miles from my residence.  I decided to form my own opinion and I bought all four different varieites along with their onion rings.  Unfortunately it was a waste of time and money.  None of the hot dogs were tasty, the dogs were sorta cold and chewy and the onion rings were tasteless.  Live and learn.

I was really looking forward to a nice treat.  Even my ugly dog would not touch tem.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN 

I think you really have to go out of your way to screw up a hot dog, it looks like they went out of their way........................
MellowRoast
Re:sonic 2011/03/22 06:53:48
Tried the Sonic Chicago and New York Dogs on Sunday, and my experience was very good, at least on this occasion.  While their all-beef frank didn’t knock me out (and didn’t appear at least bun-length as advertised), all other components were quite good, everything tasted fresh, and the buns were warm and soft.  I could barely taste the celery salt on my Chicago dog, which is fine, because I don’t want it to overshadow the other flavors.  The relish wasn’t neon green, but I didn’t really mind that as they probably use the same relish and franks for the other versions.  Not a bad lunch for an introductory price of $1.99.  Naturally, I’d rather have a dog from a good street cart vendor with regionally authentic franks (Vienna, Sabrett, etc.), but if I were passing by Sonic – at least this one – I’d probably order again.  
Greymo
Filet Mignon
Re:sonic 2011/03/22 15:13:17
I took four giggling little girls to Sonic this weekend and  everyone loved their hot dogs............also loved the drinks. Five of us ate for well under twenty dollars.  I would go there again in a heartbeat.
stricken_detective
Re:sonic 2011/03/24 01:00:07
annpeeples

Unfortunately my friend Aimee, first come, first served in a drive thru. I dont think too many people just order a drink.Now if life were perfect, the order taker would recognize that you only ordered a drink, and get it themselves. Thats what they do at most restaurants( like Mcdonalds) drive thrus. To me, Sonic sounds like they dont have a good ordering system down in that respect.
I think I'm just spoiled by Culver's!!

That was nice of the manager of the Nelsonville Sonic to call you personally, Michael. Very impressive.

pnwchef
Re:sonic 2011/03/24 09:26:57
Greymo

I took four giggling little girls to Sonic this weekend and  everyone loved their hot dogs............also loved the drinks. Five of us ate for well under twenty dollars.  I would go there again in a heartbeat.

I would take the review of four giggling little girls any day of the week. I love the honesty of kids. I asked my 10 yr old how she liked the Chicken Parm I made, her answer was "Papa it was a bit bland" I told her I would do better next time, boy the truth hurts. The funny thing is, she was right it was bland, lacking flavor in the breading, not enough melted Mozz cheese and so on. If you really want the truth, ask a child...........
   I think Sonic did a great job promoting and making their new Hot dog selection look like regional favorites. I would try them, knowing that they may not be as good as the dogs in Chicago or New York, but really just hope I get a good tasting dog that comes close to the original...............PNWC
post edited by PNWCHEF - 2011/03/24 09:28:33
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:sonic 2011/03/24 11:10:02
stricken_detective

annpeeples

I think I'm just spoiled by Culver's!!

That was nice of the manager of the Nelsonville Sonic to call you personally, Michael. Very impressive.

It sure impressed me. In fact, I e-mailed corporate to tell them how impressed I was.

Ahi Mpls.
Double Cheeseburger
Re:sonic 2011/03/24 12:11:53
 We just went to our new(ish) Sonic for the first time, we did NOT eat outside  
 Had to reheat the tots & corn dog in the toaster oven at home, but the Chicago dogs were A-OK!  I got extra sport peppers so I didn't notice an abundance of celery salt...
 And the little mr. gave big big big thumbs up on the corn dog & apple slices. 
Gumbo191
Hamburger
Re:sonic 2011/04/10 20:31:18
@annpeeples:
The dogs are surprisingly good considering the source. Now the dogs are not exactly Vienna beef or natural casing style dogs but they are all beef with the appropriate toppings. I have tried the "Chicago Dog" twice and considering I am 12 hours away from Chi-Town was satisfied with the quality, now this is no Portillos or Gene and Jude's but overall pretty good. Served on a steamed poppy seed bun (where they get these I have no idea since no poppy seed buns are available here) with guess what "neon green" relish, sport peppers, kosher dill slice, tomatoes, mustard, and celery salt! Also the "NY Dog" is quite good topped with grilled onions, kraut, and spicy mustard. All of their specialty dogs sell for $1.99. 
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:sonic 2011/04/11 13:50:10
Thanks for the report, Gumbo. For $1.99, I think I will try one or two.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:sonic 2011/04/11 20:36:56
I get an order or two of the Onion Rings when I do get the half-price afternoon Slushie or Cherry-Limeade !!  The Onion Rings have a breading/batter that reminds me of the crusty shell on a corn-dog ! I like them.
mar52
Sirloin
Re:sonic 2011/04/12 13:27:10
I need a Sonic closer to me.

I need a Cherry Limeade.

Do they not make the slush freezes anymore?  Maybe they were called slurries....  A slush blended with ice cream.

Two drinks for me.  Oh?  They have food?
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:sonic 2011/04/12 13:31:48
I don't understand those drinks at Sonic. I;ve seen some of them. I stick with coffee, and the occasional iced tea. (Today it would be the coffee -- it's raining and the standard Central Ohio grey.)
mar52
Sirloin
Re:sonic 2011/04/12 13:49:11
29.03 miles to the nearest Sonic.

Good thing as today is day number 2 of my return to Nutrisystem.  What am I doing here?
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:sonic 2011/04/12 13:53:56
Hey, it was good enough for Mike Golic and Dan Marino.
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2