Hot!OFFICIAL NC FOOD TRUCK BUILD W/PICS

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 7
Double Chili Cheeseburger
2011/03/02 03:48:14
OK, i think i can finally start putting some pics up so im starting this official page w/pics thread to help keep track of things and get it all in one spot....

here is the "ugly duckling" in all her 34 y/o glory....

and here are a couple of different ideas i have tossed around for a "theme"

the "BACK ALLEY BURGERS" idea....

uummm yea.....not sure what happened there, i might have been drinking when i did this one, lol, and there is a B/M with with website locked up as well

the "GO BURGER" idea.....

this is my favorite one, but found out there is a "go burger" already operating up in NYC, and they have all the facebook and twitter AND dot coms pretty much locked up.....i see those as big assets so the search goes on...

and here is "BURGER BOX".....im not quiet sure how i like this one, but as i tweak it and play around with different ideas i think i might be on to something here, and i did create my own version of the "food pyramid-fire triangle" last night, lol, i really like that....

here is my version of the food pyramid, lol.....

and here are a couple of ideas i have for interior space...... im at a total loose here as to ergonomics, and im sure these will change 100 times before i actually start to shoe horn stuff in the back of the van, so if anyone wants to chime in and give me some advice on that, it would be greatly appreciated......

anyway, these are the directions im leaning in right now

sanding started today on the van, nothing spectacular there so i didnt see the need for a pic of that, will be about a weeks worth of sanding(taking it down to bare aluminum) and prep.....then its back over to my fabricators to get started on the roof....

BackAlleyBurger
Re:OFFICIAL NC FOOD TRUCK BUILD W/PICS 2011/03/02 04:04:21
waste water will be mounted under the van, directly below the fresh water
PointGeorge
Junior Burger
Re:OFFICIAL NC FOOD TRUCK BUILD W/PICS 2011/03/02 09:23:54
What did you do the mock up with? Looks good!

Just a thought- Charbroiler right in the service window?  I see bags with burger going up in flames.  ;<).

Maybe swap the wet area with the cooking area?  I would think that would look better to customers as well.

YMMV.

Cheers!

G

Barbeque barn
Cheeseburger
Re:OFFICIAL NC FOOD TRUCK BUILD W/PICS 2011/03/02 10:05:30
I like the program for mock up and like your van too. It will be a great biuld to show here and hope it goes excellent for you.
BlackOak
Junior Burger
Re:OFFICIAL NC FOOD TRUCK BUILD W/PICS 2011/03/02 14:14:39
Yes, definitely like the mock up design program ur using.  Best of success to you!
BackAlleyBurger
Re:OFFICIAL NC FOOD TRUCK BUILD W/PICS 2011/03/02 14:25:35
i used MS PAINT,(under accessories in the start menu), pretty basic program, but a lot can be done with it if ya play around a bit and figure it all out...... and its on every single PC sold since 1990ish 

lol, yea, i still haven't figured out where i want the window yet....anyone serving out the back door?? good call on the charbroiler right next to window though
BackAlleyBurger
Re:OFFICIAL NC FOOD TRUCK BUILD W/PICS 2011/03/02 14:34:00
the "tinted" colors on the back alley van were done with photobucket software
BlackOak
Junior Burger
Re:OFFICIAL NC FOOD TRUCK BUILD W/PICS 2011/03/02 19:56:19
I will be serving out the back, simply because of the roll up door i have on my grumman.  Instead of cutting a hole out of the side of the van, I decided that since I have to trash the roll up door anyway(its deteriorated), why not close in the roll up, and make a serving window.  This will save me a few pennies.  I plan on making a storage box beneath the interior serving window counter for my battery bank, Generator, and tools.  Thats the plan anyway........
BackAlleyBurger
Re:OFFICIAL NC FOOD TRUCK BUILD W/PICS 2011/03/02 21:41:50
yea, i like the idea of serving out the back as well, when i hit a crowded car show, it will be nice to pull into a spot and not be in anyones way....

my van is a p20, so it basically has the same dimensions as a chevy 3/4 ton long bed pick up truck, fits just perfect into a parking space....

and i like the idea of the back doors opening up until they rest against the propane tanks..... will make a nice "funnel" up to the serving window to help coral the masses and the insides of the doors will make perfect spots for menu boards for them to order off of......
i too hate the idea of cutting a serving window into the side
JacksSnacks
Cheeseburger
Re:OFFICIAL NC FOOD TRUCK BUILD W/PICS 2011/03/02 22:45:03
Here is mine, I tried to sell it last week but no takers, so Im going to install a kitchen in it.

BackAlleyBurger
Re:OFFICIAL NC FOOD TRUCK BUILD W/PICS 2011/03/03 17:55:54
found out today that i need to tinker with the brakes a bit more so then sanding, and being the person i am, i cant just fix something, ive got to go all Tim the tool man Taylor on it and make it better (ie: keep myself in the poor house) so i spent the day tracking down disc brake spindles for the front so i can convert the front brakes over to rotors and get rid of the front drums.... not a bad idea in all actuality, much better stopping power that way, and a safer braking system all in all.
finding parts for this thing...the drive train anyway, has been a lot easier, and a whole lot cheaper then i expected. I reckon the "dime a dozen" chevy parts syndrome is playing into my favor at the moment 
i didnt feel like sanding all day today anyway to be honest about it, lol
BackAlleyBurger
Re:OFFICIAL NC FOOD TRUCK BUILD W/PICS 2011/03/03 18:03:17
spent a few minutes drawing up a "schematic" of my proposed wall construction

this makes sense to me, and i think it will make for a rock solid wall, and a nice comfy van when its done, good insulation and hopefully some great sound deadening qualities !

if anyone sees any detrimental flaw in my idea, please chime in and speak up, im pretty much going off of what my brain tells me makes good sense, but have no real training in any of this.........

JacksSnacks
Cheeseburger
Re:OFFICIAL NC FOOD TRUCK BUILD W/PICS 2011/03/03 21:14:18
Mine gets about 4 miles a gallon. I ran out of gas twice moving it. I really like the room, I found a three hole sink cheap, and I have a propane water heater for it too. I have a 40 gallon water tank to put in it and I can get 50 gallon plastic barrels cheap for the grey water. The only thing I really want is a quiet generator. Its hard at the minute cos I work a regular job on second shift and go to college full time in the mornings.
BackAlleyBurger
Re:OFFICIAL NC FOOD TRUCK BUILD W/PICS 2011/03/03 21:40:56
wow, my gas guage is broke so i have no idea on my mileage right now...i am estimating 10-12
i put total of 115 bucks in from charlotte back to fayetteville, about 300 miles with a couple of short detours, 115 bucks/3.20 average a gallon got me around 30 gallons i figure, thats why i say 10-12mpg...... not sure how much was left, but had enough to warm it up and get to the gas station next day........ lol, i drive it until i worry, then throw 20 bucks in it, i havent really gone far in it since home, and i dont want to have a full tank and then it break down on me(still not 100% confident with it) so im keeping it low on gas
BackAlleyBurger
Re:OFFICIAL NC FOOD TRUCK BUILD W/PICS 2011/03/04 05:02:20
well, after spending a couple hours too many crunching names and checking for duplicates all over the place i finally ended up with these....

www.EatTheAlley.com 
and
www.twitter.com/BackAlleyBurger

these were the two best names i could create that would be usable without being intrusive to others or causing confusion...

also, i couldnt help myself so i registered this .com as well...

www.SayNoToTofu.com
lol, this one is going to be a trash page for my least favorite food product

the .coms are just temp pages right now, but if ya want go check them out, i played around with 'em a little bit...
crap, its 5am, im going to bed.....
Re:OFFICIAL NC FOOD TRUCK BUILD W/PICS 2011/03/04 17:14:00
In front of the syrup pumps where you have ??? how about a Slurpee type machine, if you use Pepsi products they will give you one for free and install it.
BackAlleyBurger
Re:OFFICIAL NC FOOD TRUCK BUILD W/PICS 2011/03/04 18:01:12
yes... Pepsi is my choice, they will also provide the entire fountain system for me with no minimum syrup purchases !
i never thought about a slurpee machine, i'll have to check into that !

coke didnt even want to talk to me after i told them it was a mobile unit, thats fine, they can KMA

pepsi gives me mt dew, and cheerwine !
post edited by GoBurgeR - 2011/03/04 18:04:36
BackAlleyBurger
Re:OFFICIAL NC FOOD TRUCK BUILD W/PICS 2011/03/05 20:53:35
ok....i got the website somewhat started, and the twitter all figured out, i even changed my name on here (HEY MODS, DISREGARD THE EMAIL, I FIGURED IT OUT)
i have a couple of temp pages up right now, and am playing around with a 5 page website i got from godaddy....

lol, i think the website building might end up being the hardest part of this whole process!

here are the temp pages if anyone is interested in taking a look.....
www.EatTheAlley.com
and
www.saynototofu.com

right now my 5 pager is under a temp address that you cant go to from a link at the moment

lol, im playing around in the templates right now trying to figure it all out..... if there is someone who has these skills, i wouldnt be against dropping a 20 in the mail if you want to help me out a bit

lol, almost forgot the twitter.....  http://twitter.com/BackAlleyBurger

lol, wow....it must have been a long day, i forgot i posted all this 2 days ago......lol, i think bed will come early tonight, and on a sat even!!
post edited by BackAlleyBurger - 2011/03/05 21:19:29
PointGeorge
Junior Burger
Re:OFFICIAL NC FOOD TRUCK BUILD W/PICS 2011/03/06 13:11:25
Hey BAB,

I am a web developer, but I have a secret for ya, these days you really can do it your self, maybe with a little free help.

The secret to a sucess full website is content and keywords.

KIS- Keep it Simple 

Couple of images of the truck and your food, menu, catering menu and services, contact information and a feed from your Twitter account to create current content.  All this stuff can be done from templates and code snipets.

Don't do ANYTHING in flash.  Totally unnecessary and the search engines can't read it, and whats worse if you would have to pay someone to do it and get no real value in return.

Even fancy restaurants are starting to get wise to this.  See this article- 

boston.com/ae/food/restaurants/articles/2011/03/02/when_bad_websites_happen_to_good_restaurants/

Facebook and Twitter are what rules these days, followed by things like Four Square and Yelp.  They are much more important than your webpage.  That is today, who knows what will be it next week.

If you have a specific question let me know.

Cheers,

guerrilla
Junior Burger
Re:OFFICIAL NC FOOD TRUCK BUILD W/PICS 2011/03/07 19:49:52
looks like a good setup . i will be using 2 grills setup on either side of a 4' service window with the window extended to a total of 130" in order for the guest to see their meat cooking. I will be using heat resistant glass on either side of the service window. when i am allowed ill upload picks of my schematics. my brother does 3d rendering so i have some really detailed and cool looking pics but i have to wait until i can upload pics i guess.
BackAlleyBurger
Re:OFFICIAL NC FOOD TRUCK BUILD W/PICS 2011/03/08 13:59:23
hey man....email them to me and i will post them for you...lol, always a way around the system...im curious to see
your brother want to make a couple bucks doing something up for me??
AZdog
Cheeseburger
Re:OFFICIAL NC FOOD TRUCK BUILD W/PICS 2011/03/10 20:00:48
Nice truck. I always like the older ones that have some character to them.

One thing that you should note and take into consideration about serving out of the back is that you lose all of your horizontal signage.  Vehicle wraps now run into the thousands of dollars, and sure it's great driving down the street - but you absolutely lose all that real-estate when you serve out of the back.  If you do fairs and festivals, you're going to reduce your visible footprint substantially.

Also, I only see 1 area designated as prep area.  In my county you need a minimum of 2 prep areas (one for vegetables cutting etc/ and one for raw meat etc) for cross contamination reasons. If your county is OK with just your prep refrig - then great.

Placing your burners next to your refrigerator, and having your freezer underneath your griddle should be re-evaluated. Doing so is going to create a great amount of heat in direct correlation with your cooling equipment.  Your condensers are going to have to work harder to cool and as such it's going to be reflected in how long they last. Having your char-broiler directly next to your prep refrigerator is going to really tax it as well. Ideally, your cooling/refrigeration equipment should be as far away as possible to equipment that generates heat. 

Also be aware of any requirements your HD may have about the proximity of your waste and fresh water. Many counties require the two to have a physical distance of separation between the two.

Look forward to seeing your work in progress.
post edited by AZdog - 2011/03/10 20:01:51
BackAlleyBurger
Re:OFFICIAL NC FOOD TRUCK BUILD W/PICS 2011/03/19 19:16:58
thought i would give an update.......
bum ankle kept me from doing too much the last week or so to the body, so i concentrated on wiring and the dash(LOL, i could sit most of the time, lol) pulled i cant tell ya how much old wiring out that was just hanging loose from previous owners.....

im having a new dash cut so i can put some modern gauges in, and have gone through and checked all the various components to see if they actually worked or not, and the only thing i have yet to fix is the horn..... i think its actually bad so i will replace anyway.....

the wipers, heater motor, and running lights are up and working now, i even got the 34 y/o dash fan to working, that thing really pumps out some airflow!

i rewired the headlights and got rid of my dimming and blacking out issues.....lol i have one halogen, and one standard light..... kind of pisses me off because some things were just meant to be replaced in matching pairs.....

got the ceiling pulled out today..... i never want to see another plastic nail rivet thing as long as i live ! and you cant imagine the difference the 11/2" of insulation between the ceiling and roof made...... by the time i go tthe second piece down, the first area was too hot to touch !!  and it was only 80 and partly cloudy today...... so 4" of pink board is going up in there when it goes back together !

if i could only have one thing i say in this post make a difference in what someone is doing i hope its this.......

NEVER NEVER NEVER........ EVER......NEVER use floating grounds in an aluminum vehicle!!!!!!!!!........................NEVER EVER !!!!
I caught a lot of possible danger zones before they turned into real problems, as it is, i have a little "chalk" (aluminum rust) to brush away and treat, and guess where each of the "problem" areas was ??????

....... you guessed it, in between a floating ground and the device that was powered..... right in a seam most of the time.......
those little micro currents, that WILL manifest over time will eat aluminum up with the quikness, and is worse when you add a little moisture to it....

i caught it in time though, maybe a 1 on a scale of 1-10 as far as damage goes, i got lucky.

lets see.... other then that, i got all the brakes serviced, wheels balanced, and am putting on a new master cylinder nest week to top them off.....

i do have three loose wheel studs that will need to be taken care of next time the wheels come off....

almost forgot, if anyone has a line on a stepvan graveyard please chime in, i need a new "passenger" door.... i have tracked down all the peices parts, but havent been able to find the door itself.....

i think thats about it, i didnt take any pics of this stuff, figured i would save the bandwidth for the site until i get closer to the actual "food truck" related stuff

but i will post pics of the roof raising and walls going in.... those are going to be huge hurdles out of the way....... until next time......

JUST SAY NO TO TOFU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BackAlleyBurger
Re:OFFICIAL NC FOOD TRUCK BUILD W/PICS 2011/03/19 19:49:43
WOW...lol, that was a novel in internet terms, lol

heres a little something for those of you looking at getting a step van to work out of....
these things are totally different animals from your garden variety automobiles...

heres a couple of examples of stuff to keep in mind......

heres the only two area with damage on my van.... the blue area is pretty strait forward and is an easy fix with a little heat and some body hammers....

the red area right beside the headlight looked like a simple strait forward fix as well..... well, when i dug into it i soon discovered that although it too is a simple fix....... getting to it is going to be major surgery........ notice the rivets on either side, there is a box for the headlight assembly that is riveted in and its dented just like the fender, so to fix the red area we need to ......

take out running and headlight, drill out 6 rivets, remove the box, beat box back into proper shape, reshape the fender, possibly remove battery and tray for some more room, install the fixed box, replace everything that you had to remove, prep for paint...... lol, not a huge deal, but just keep in mind, part of what makes these things indestructible (rivets) is going to be a pain at some point in time, lol........ my first thought of removing the fender was soon over ruled when i realized that it would mean drilling out about 40 rivets !!! 

second thing to remember is the rear end, its not your usual truck rear end, its a big heavy duty, emphasis on heavy, unit that will most likely make it a million miles before needing any serious attending to ...... when that time comes, look at your local 4x4 shops first, the 4x4 crowd loves these 1 ton rear ends for their rock crawler trucks, same with the brakes, might be a good idea to have the 4x4 guys service them as well, they have all the right tools, and the experience to back it up with these heavy duty rear ends  

Barbeque barn
Cheeseburger
Re:OFFICIAL NC FOOD TRUCK BUILD W/PICS 2011/03/30 21:48:50
How's the build coming along and body work. You have got a good starting platform to start with. good job Mike
BackAlleyBurger
Re:OFFICIAL NC FOOD TRUCK BUILD W/PICS 2011/03/30 21:51:44
its been raining around here for the past week, and cold again on top of it...

off to the fabricator fri to get started welding...... it seems to be moving slower then cold molasses right now
BackAlleyBurger
Re:OFFICIAL NC FOOD TRUCK BUILD W/PICS 2011/04/01 22:25:41
well, the rain stopped......FINALLY !!!!
got out and did some running around, saw a couple of guys working out in front of an old run down use to be bar&grill, and decided to stop on a whim and see if they might have anything i could use (hood really) ..... so i got the nickle tour of the joint....
hood was galvanized, the place has been closed for a long time apparently...no griddle or anything under the hood

as we were walking back out i caught something in the corner of my eye.... from under a couple of shirts (place had been used by the owners as a thrift store last couple years) i spotted a fry basket handle

i looked back at the guy and said "hey man, what are ya doing hiding the good stuff", lol, he didnt have a clue (owners son)
we went over and uncovered a nearly new condition silverking skr27bkd  counter height NSF refridgerator(!!!!!!!!!!!) and sitting on top of it was a star 208/240 volt counter top deep fryer(!!!!!!!!!!!!)

he called his parents back (had called them to ask about the hood previously) and asked about these..... i could tell there was some hemming and hawing going on over the phone.......
and i dont know what in the world came over me, but i blurted out "tell her i'll give her 100 bucks right now for the both"
he relayed the message...... lol, i loaded up both into the truck and hauled butt before someone came to their senses !!!!
im still in shock over this..... i priced out both on ebay and craigslist the fridge comes in around 900 average for used, and the fryer, i couldnt find used, but new is averaging 850.......
the fridge is out on the porch right now, took it about 20-30 minutes to start coming down in temp (thermo in door) and has been running at 40* for the past 6 hours.......temp knob is at about half way
i think i got a killer deal
i havent tried out the fryer yet, need to run a temp 240 line  to plug it up, but will have report and pics tomorrow afternoon sometime.....

this was a nice little slice of cake at the end of the week 
Barbeque barn
Cheeseburger
Re:OFFICIAL NC FOOD TRUCK BUILD W/PICS 2011/04/01 23:17:33
Sweet deal, and great find. It always pays to keep a eye out of the last spot on earth. awsome....
BackAlleyBurger
Re:OFFICIAL NC FOOD TRUCK BUILD W/PICS 2011/04/02 04:22:15
early AM report........ still holding rock solid at 40*
im going to crank it down to below freezing as soon as it warms up today and see how that goes......
my sis-n-law said dont waste oil to check out the fryer, but to just fill it with some water and check it that way....sound right to you guys ??

0* and holding for two hours now.....i think i got a good deal 
post edited by BackAlleyBurger - 2011/04/02 15:36:18
BackAlleyBurger
Re:OFFICIAL NC FOOD TRUCK BUILD W/PICS 2011/04/02 15:56:30
a little cleaning up and i think were in business !

pretty clean over all, cant wait to put some food in it !

this sort of kills the under the counter aspect of it, but im seeing condiment pans on the top shelf with easy access :)

a little cleaning here also, but for the price i cant complain a bit.....

Barbeque barn
Cheeseburger
Re:OFFICIAL NC FOOD TRUCK BUILD W/PICS 2011/04/03 11:44:46
That one of those once in a life time deals. Nice equiment!!!
nom nom nom
Junior Burger
Re:OFFICIAL NC FOOD TRUCK BUILD W/PICS 2011/04/09 09:11:44
Concerning the set-up...it looks like your stove/griddle is on one side of the truck and your fryer is on the other. According to health dept doesn't everything to do with cooking have to be under an exhaust hood? If you have cooking equipment on both sides you are going to have to have exhaust on both sides.
BackAlleyBurger
Re:OFFICIAL NC FOOD TRUCK BUILD W/PICS 2011/04/09 13:02:44
oohh, thats changed.....
everything is going against the back wall and will be "side vented" out the back

i do plan on a small smoker to roast peanuts and pork that will be towards the front..... maybe just a small roof vent for it, its a sealed smoker(Bradly) so hopefully i can sweet talk them into letting me have it .....

but to answer your question, the HD here says a hood isnt mandatory in a mobile unit, but they strongly suggest one, thats where that first set of plans came from
Lost Nation
Cheeseburger
Re:OFFICIAL NC FOOD TRUCK BUILD W/PICS 2011/04/18 19:34:43
I really like what you are doing, updates?
BackAlleyBurger
Re:OFFICIAL NC FOOD TRUCK BUILD W/PICS 2011/04/19 07:22:37
Lost Nation I really like what you are doing, updates?

yea, ive been slacking a bit and the recent weather has really put a screeching halt on things, but i will hopefully have some good updates with pics by this weekend.....
BackAlleyBurger
Re:OFFICIAL NC FOOD TRUCK BUILD W/PICS 2011/04/20 00:14:23
heres an update teaser...... last week i thought i found the once in a lifetime deal on the silverking and the star fryer....... well, this week i picked up another piece, a caravelle freezer, got too dark for picks today, but will get a couple up tomorrow sometime.......probably late, tomorrow is going to be one of those "huge progress days" in the short term anyway.....

i paid 75 bucks for the freezer, its out on the back porch sitting at 14*, i actually had to lean down to hear if the compressor was running or not..... i have wiped that place out though, everything worth getting has been got, 
i also picked up a sweet hand wash sink for 25 bucks...... im going to miss that place :(
BackAlleyBurger
Re:OFFICIAL NC FOOD TRUCK BUILD W/PICS 2011/04/20 08:56:20
ok...im off to the money pit......
freezer is sitting steady at 10*, i almost wish i had a deer ham to stick in there now, lol
im not sure after thinking about it if "huge" is the right word for today..... tons of little tinkering stuff to do, plus a big ol' batch of paint stripping going on as a main event.......
i have come to learn one thing about paint...... baked in the sun, and unprotected, cheap or expensive doesnt matter, its a bear to get back off after a dozen or so years!
BackAlleyBurger
Re:OFFICIAL NC FOOD TRUCK BUILD W/PICS 2011/04/22 18:06:06
ok, heres the little freezer i picked up this week, she has been holding steady at 10* for the past 2 or 3 days now, so i think she is good to go.....

a good cleaning and some new vinyl and she will be ready for service.....

BackAlleyBurger
Re:OFFICIAL NC FOOD TRUCK BUILD W/PICS 2011/04/22 18:07:55
hard to tell, but its sitting on 10* 
she is dusty as all get out from sitting, but the scrub brushes come out tomorrow!!

after looking around the web i found out these baskets are going for 50 bucks used !!
they will be scrubbed with TLC, lol
post edited by BackAlleyBurger - 2011/04/22 18:10:43
BackAlleyBurger
Re:OFFICIAL NC FOOD TRUCK BUILD W/PICS 2011/04/22 18:22:23
ok, now for the big stuff.....
you cant really tell on the timing and tune up, tinkering with the carb, and the blasted exhaust leak i cant get rid of(its time for new manifolds) i have one with a broken ear, but there was about 10 hours of work done to the ol' girl wednesday....
the biggest bang for the buck was the stripping.....lol, about 7 hours of the day, and thats just half the van !! the van has an "E" coat on it, that is about 98% intact, which is a good thing, the less bare aluminum the less metal prep i need to do ......the E coat is the darker blue and gold on the front......
anything you see that isnt the darker blue or gold still has to be stripped, but i am tellin ya..... theres 4 different colors on this thing, and the top two are some of the hardest, most bull headed paint i have ever seen..... the top layer was cracked and weathered to a point it was useless and had to come off, and with all the rivets involved, mechanical stripping is out of the question....
now that im started on it i can see a little brighter light at the end of the tunnel, with any luck and better weather then lately i should have at least a primer coat on her by the end of next week...

post edited by BackAlleyBurger - 2011/04/22 18:23:39
BackAlleyBurger
Re:OFFICIAL NC FOOD TRUCK BUILD W/PICS 2011/04/22 18:29:57
what you see done took 7 hours, lol...... nothing i do is simple and easy for some reason....
if you think your in good shape, grab a hold of a 3000 psi pressure washer for 7 hours and see how you feel in the morning !!
by those numbers, im figuring about 9-10 more hours on the outside, and maybe 1-2 hours on the inside just to clean her up real good and get all the dust out the joints and such.....
i will be soooooooo glad to see some fresh bright paint on the ol' girl :)
Barbeque barn
Cheeseburger
Re:OFFICIAL NC FOOD TRUCK BUILD W/PICS 2011/04/22 20:48:35
I like what you've done. Are you using a water base paint stripper? I used a water base stripper on a boat and wasn't that bad or take that long to take the paint off.  Keep up the great work it will pay you back 10 fold. Mike
BackAlleyBurger
Re:OFFICIAL NC FOOD TRUCK BUILD W/PICS 2011/04/22 21:09:55
yea, its called "aircraft stripper" it says water wash off..... im tellin ya though, that is some god awful nasty stuff......

the paint is so old and hardened that it still takes a pressure washer to remove it after sitting with the stripper for a couple hours.....without the stripper i cant even wash the dirt out of the paint...
it makes a huge difference!!..... im using a different stripper tomorrow just to see how it works out but im not going to hold my breath, lol....well, yea i am if it smells the same !
BackAlleyBurger
Re:OFFICIAL NC FOOD TRUCK BUILD W/PICS 2011/04/22 21:12:28
and yea, i agree it will be worth it, lol, just a PITA right now
the layers of paint are so thick right now that the rivets seem to have grown in size after stripping it off.....

Lost Nation
Cheeseburger
Re:OFFICIAL NC FOOD TRUCK BUILD W/PICS 2011/04/23 08:31:04
BAB looks like you got your hands full. I think I know what you are going through, I have pains in places I didn't know I had. Nice weather in VT today....35* and raining/sleeting.
BackAlleyBurger
Re:OFFICIAL NC FOOD TRUCK BUILD W/PICS 2011/04/23 17:00:45
oohh wow......86 here, and just as sunny as it can be..... in fact, i think the top of my noggin is a little red, might be time to go buy a hat for the summer, lol
THE WILD DOG
Re:OFFICIAL NC FOOD TRUCK BUILD W/PICS 2011/04/23 18:44:11
when i built my first rig, i gave myself what seemed to be carpal tunnel in both hands. omg the pains everywhere. I am rough on my body alot, but building this thing was insane. It consumed me, I worked on it in blizzards, rain, and xmas eve. LOL
BackAlleyBurger
Re:OFFICIAL NC FOOD TRUCK BUILD W/PICS 2011/04/26 02:11:36
i know what your saying......
sometimes i just have to walk away from it for a day or two, and then sometimes, im tinkering and stripping and wiring and measuring/designing/etc... for what ends up being close to 24 hours strait.... lol, the first stripping day when all was said and done ended up being about 16 hours between shop time and trips to the steel yard and stainless shop...

i knew i have a serious problem when i found myself sitting in the van at 3am the other morning debating on whether to start adjusting the E-brake or go in and get some sleep, lol
BackAlleyBurger
Re:OFFICIAL NC FOOD TRUCK BUILD W/PICS 2011/04/28 14:04:46
RAIN RAIN RAIN !!!!
got some more stripping done yesterday, nothing really pic worthy.....
trying to work between rain showers is getting old! rest of today is a wash, rain on and off, mostly on,  until late this evening...... but tomorrow is mid 70, balmy and breezy with mostly sunny skies !!!!!!!!!

i always wondered, is partly sunny the same as mostly cloudy, or mostly not sunny?
post edited by BackAlleyBurger - 2011/04/28 14:05:57
BackAlleyBurger
Re:OFFICIAL NC FOOD TRUCK BUILD W/PICS 2011/04/29 01:12:21
i said to heck with it and coated the front end with stripper this evening..... got the first "concrete" coat off in a lot of places and softened up in most.... lol, i just realized its 1:15am, i just came in from washing the stripper off, i need help.....
will still need at least two more coats of stripper to get down to bare metal, but each successive coating gets a lot easier, and takes a lot more paint off...
so all in all..... three coats of stripper on the van to get it done.....
im two coats down now on most of it...... 
BackAlleyBurger
Re:OFFICIAL NC FOOD TRUCK BUILD W/PICS 2011/04/29 01:14:53
my friend on Facebook just referred to me as a male stripper, lmao !
she wants tickets to the next show...... i told her she better bring putty knives and beer !!
RiceWorks
Junior Burger
Re:OFFICIAL NC FOOD TRUCK BUILD W/PICS 2011/04/29 02:52:58
Man you have spent a lot of time stripping this paint off. I just took a DA to it and primed.. and painted it with a very inexpensive single stage white commercial paint. As the weather warms up here in ID i am just going to scuff it and have a friend of mine air brush it.. much cheaper than a full wrap.. and very customized. Keep up the good work!
BackAlleyBurger
Re:OFFICIAL NC FOOD TRUCK BUILD W/PICS 2011/04/29 20:39:03
RiceWorks Man you have spent a lot of time stripping this paint off. I just took a DA to it and primed.. and painted it with a very inexpensive single stage white commercial paint. As the weather warms up here in ID i am just going to scuff it and have a friend of mine air brush it.. much cheaper than a full wrap.. and very customized. Keep up the good work!

NOW YOU TELL ME !!!!!
lol, i know...way too much time spent on this part of it, the weather has broke so it should be smooth sailing from here on out       
BackAlleyBurger
Re:OFFICIAL NC FOOD TRUCK BUILD W/PICS 2011/04/29 20:43:47
honestly, its the rivets man.....
dont ask me why, but the rivets got to me..... too much paint, and too many rivets to try and sand around.....
also...even though i gripe about it...... its my zen time... i can loose myself for a couple of hours without even realizing it when i start stripping....... until 6 coats of enamel concrete fluster me, lol, then i just walk away for a day
Barbeque barn
Cheeseburger
Re:OFFICIAL NC FOOD TRUCK BUILD W/PICS 2011/04/29 21:50:53
your doing a great job and it real easy to lose track of time when it for something that your investment. excellent work!
RiceWorks
Junior Burger
Re:OFFICIAL NC FOOD TRUCK BUILD W/PICS 2011/04/30 02:55:22
Oh man i agree with you on the rivets, those were the number one killer of my 80 grit DA pads. It was well worth it to get my truck one color, even if the paint isn't the most expensive stuff. And luckily, i have easy access to a vinyl cutter to put stuff on my truck and make it look a little customized.
BackAlleyBurger
Re:OFFICIAL NC FOOD TRUCK BUILD W/PICS 2011/04/30 04:58:05
another reason i decided to strip over sanding is you really dont want to be breathing in any aluminum dust....... nasty stuff in the human body...
you did wear a proper respirator didnt ya ??

how long is your truck inside behind the seats to the rear ? is it single or dual rear wheels ?
post edited by BackAlleyBurger - 2011/04/30 05:05:15
beachsands
Junior Burger
Re:OFFICIAL NC FOOD TRUCK BUILD W/PICS 2011/04/30 10:06:45
RiceWorks

Man you have spent a lot of time stripping this paint off. I just took a DA to it and primed.. and painted it with a very inexpensive single stage white commercial paint. As the weather warms up here in ID i am just going to scuff it and have a friend of mine air brush it.. much cheaper than a full wrap.. and very customized. Keep up the good work!

What type of tool is a DA ? I am guessing its a type of sander or grinder?

Great looking work on this project !

Joel
BackAlleyBurger
Re:OFFICIAL NC FOOD TRUCK BUILD W/PICS 2011/04/30 17:47:52
DA stands for dual action...... it spins at the same time it rotates, think of a car buffer....
RiceWorks
Junior Burger
Re:OFFICIAL NC FOOD TRUCK BUILD W/PICS 2011/05/01 02:09:28
I just wore a regular respirator like the ones used in the medical field. When sanding with 80 grit the particles aren't small enough to pass through one of those. We also have painting respirators when we need them.
     Back Alley has got the correct answer you asked about the DA. It is often used in auto body work in body shops. My brother used to own an auto body shop some years back, and i started back in high school when they offered courses for this kind of stuff. Those skills come in handy, the only downside paint is nasty stuff and sucks if you don't have a well ventilated booth (or any kind of booth for that matter). I painted my truck outside last summer on a day with pretty much no wind!
Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 7