Arkansas

Porterhouse
2011/03/08 08:30:09
Cousin Johnny and I have decided to spend our annual vacation together this year in the great state of Arkansas.  Our plan is to fly into Memphis and then spend the next week driving all over the The Natural State.  We expect to eat bbq, catfish, lots of great Southern food and if we aren't careful, maybe a slice or two of pie.  We have the whole week, so anywhere in the state is fair game and we aren't afraid to drive a couple hours out of our way for a place that sounds especially good or interesting.

All the places currently listed on the Roadfood restaurant listings will be in play.  And I also plan on hitting Hunka Pie and Franke's Cafeteria in Little Rock and Charlotte's Eats & Sweets in Keo.  Any other places we must hit?
post edited by buffetbuster - 2011/03/08 12:24:49
FoodBully
Junior Burger
Re:Arkansas 2011/03/08 10:26:23
Hunka Pie is a must. Glad to see you're including it. Try the Butterfinger pie, it's to die for. I also hear their burgers are good but am usually just there for pie. They are opened on Tues-Sat only now so plan accordingly.

Here are some suggestions for Little Rock if you have time.

Other burger spots I like are Arkansas Burger Company, which also has excellent fried pies, and Buffalo Grill.   

The Faded Rose and Maddie's Place are great cajun/creole restaurants. Both have excellent po-boys. I love the roast beef po-boy at The Faded Rose and my lunch companion always raves about the homemade hot sausage po-boy at Maddie's. Although I'm partial to the buttermilk fried chicken with Crystal hot sauce glaze.

A good take, but maybe more upscale rendition, of the meat and three plate lunch can be found at Loca Luna. They have excellent roasted bell pepper soup and lobster bisque as well as some good hand made pizzas and calzones. 

For BBQ, I would suggest Whole Hog Cafe or Sim's.    

For dessert try Trio's. They can be fairly pricey at dinner but they have some good lunch specials. Finally if you're into cupcakes try Brown Sugar Bakeshop. They have some amazing combinations like Chicken and Waffle, Maple Bacon, and French Toast and Country Ham cupcakes along with the more traditional flavors.

Hope those help.  Have a great trip. 
post edited by FoodBully - 2011/03/08 10:44:38
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Arkansas 2011/03/08 10:51:18
Buffetbuster

It's been 6 years, but  Crooked Hook Catfish in Jacksonville  AR (suburban Little Rock)
is a must- I've checked recent reviews on reliable yelp and urbanspoon and apparently it's still good.
Besides their catrish, their strong points are their hushpuppies and tomato relish

Trust me on this- please- if you and cousin Johnny are dissapointed I would gladly comp you both for your meals.

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/200/1034371/restaurant/Little-Rock/Crooked-Hook-Catfish-Restaurant-Jacksonville
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Arkansas 2011/03/08 10:59:31
FoodBully-
Thanks so much!  I couldn't have asked for a better, more helpful response!

When I was in Little Rock in December, it was only a few days after HunkaPie had moved to their new location and they were closed on a Saturday afternoon.  Hopefully, they will make it up to me this time.

You gave so many good suggestions, but Maddie's Place really caught my eye as did Sim's.  What do you think about Chip's BBQ?  I have read good things about the pie but nothing about the 'que.

WJ-
Thanks for reminding me about that place.  It is now on the list!
Holly Moore
Cheeseburger
Re:Arkansas 2011/03/08 11:08:28
As I've recommended elsewhere, consider a side trip to Greg and Jim's Grocery in Colt to sample their barbecue beans.  http://www.hollyeats.com/GregJimsBarBQ.htm
Beef&Fries
Hamburger
Re:Arkansas 2011/03/08 12:14:16
Fred's Catfish in Mountain Home
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Arkansas 2011/03/08 12:29:29
Holly-
5 grease stains?  That's good enough for me!  Those beans look wonderful.  Thanks.

Beef & Fries-
Ate at Fred's in 2008 and enjoyed it.  Thanks for the recommendation!
Littleman
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Arkansas 2011/03/08 13:32:36
If you want real family country food then get off I30 at Exit 222 in Texarkana, TX and go to Bryce's Cafeteria for the best home cooked food in America. It's just off I30 at Exit 222 and very convenient. Part of Texarkana is in TX and part is in AR. 

Bryce's Cafeteria @ 2021 Mall Dr., Texarkana, TX 903 - 792 - 1611  
http://www.brycescafeteria.com/

On up the road at Arkadelphia, AR you will find good hamburger's at Hamburger Barn or good country food for breakfast or lunch at The Honeycomb Restaurant at Exit 73.

Hamburger Barn @ 2813 Pine Street, Arkadelphia, AR 870 - 246 - 5556  
The Honeycomb Restaurant @ 710 Main Street, Arkadelphia, AR 870 - 245 - 2333  
http://www.honeycombrestaurant.com/

At Exit 116 at Benton, AR you will find outstanding road food at Ed & Kay's Restaurant on the N side of I30 for lunch and dinner.

Ed and Kay's Restaurant @ 15228 Interstate 30 N., Benton, AR 501 - 315 - 3663  
Get off I 40 at Exit 175 at Lonoke, AR and go S on Highway 31 to E 8th Street and go to Pruett's for good BBQ.

Pruett's Bar B Que @ 108 E. 8th St., Lonoke, AR. 501 - 676 - 2622  
Get off I 40 at Exit 183 at Carlisle, AR on Highway 13 and go S to Nick's BBQ in Carlisle, AR.

Nick's Bar B Que @ Hwy. 13 N., Carlisle, AR. 870 - 552 - 3887  
http://www.nicksbq.com/

Craig's BBQ in Devall's Bluff, AR is outstanding.

Craig's BBQ @ Rt. 70, Devalls Bluff, AR. 501 - 998 - 2616  
Get off I 40 at Exit 241A/B and go N to Colt, AR on Highway 1. Take a left on Highway 306 and go to Greg and Jim's for good BBQ. Greg & Jim's Grocery & BBQ @ Hwy 306, Colt, AR. 870 - 633 - 0541. 
Get off I40 at Exit 241A/B and go S on North Washington Street in Forrest City, AR to The Ole Sawmill Cafe. It's open for breakfast, lunch or dinner and serves outstanding country food. Get off on the S side of I40 on N Washington and go about 2 blocks to Ole Sawmill Cafe on your right.

The Ole Sawmill Cafe @ 2299 N. Washington St., Forrest City, AR 870 - 630 - 2299  
http://olesawmillcafe.com/

For outstanding BBQ stop at Roadside BBQ @ Exit 271 off I 40 In W Memphis, AR.

Roadside BBQ @ 196 Arkansas 147, West Memphis, AR 870 - 733 - 9208
post edited by Littleman - 2011/03/19 12:01:03
ScreamingChicken
Filet Mignon
Re:Arkansas 2011/03/08 13:45:30
buffetbuster

Cousin Johnny and I have decided to spend our annual vacation together this year in the great state of Arkansas.

If you get to Gassville I'd be interested in your opinion of the food at KT's Barbecue on US-62 (east end of town).  I've heard good things about it but have never had the chance to try it, as I'm in the area for Thanksgiving and it's closed that weekend.

Brad
FoodBully
Junior Burger
Re:Arkansas 2011/03/08 13:50:35
buffetbuster

FoodBully-
Thanks so much!  I couldn't have asked for a better, more helpful response!

When I was in Little Rock in December, it was only a few days after HunkaPie had moved to their new location and they were closed on a Saturday afternoon.  Hopefully, they will make it up to me this time.

You gave so many good suggestions, but Maddie's Place really caught my eye as did Sim's.  What do you think about Chip's BBQ?  I have read good things about the pie but nothing about the 'que.

WJ-
Thanks for reminding me about that place.  It is now on the list!

It's been a while since I've gone to Chip's. Their pie is excellent, especially the chocolate-coconut combined.  I remember their BBQ is good but overly drenched in sauce for my taste.  Also I believe it's chopped BBQ whereas I prefer pulled pork. I usually go to Corky's myself but thought you might not consider that local enough since its origins are in Memphis.  Our local Corky's is owned by a former Razorback basketball player.  They have great hand battered onion rings and chicken fried steak in addition to their BBQ, which I find more consistent than Whole Hog. Whole Hog has a great smoky flavor but can be dryed out sometimes.  Sim's is always good when I've gone.  They have a thin very vinegary sauce, and the must try item there is usually the rib sandwich.
post edited by FoodBully - 2011/03/08 14:14:47
FoodBully
Junior Burger
Re:Arkansas 2011/03/08 13:57:16
If you're going to be in the Russellville area, check out CJ's Butcher Boy Burgers. They grind their beef fresh, often right after you order, and the fries are cut from fresh potatoes.  This is the place Five Guys aspires to be.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Arkansas 2011/03/08 14:52:06
ScreamingChicken

buffetbuster

Cousin Johnny and I have decided to spend our annual vacation together this year in the great state of Arkansas.

If you get to Gassville I'd be interested in your opinion of the food at KT's Barbecue on US-62 (east end of town).  I've heard good things about it but have never had the chance to try it, as I'm in the area for Thanksgiving and it's closed that weekend.

Brad

Let me get this straight.....  You want us to visit Gassville?  Okay, what's the punchline?
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
Re:Arkansas 2011/03/08 15:06:31
(giggling at the possibilities)
Play27
Cheeseburger
Re:Arkansas 2011/03/08 17:10:00
McClard's, AQ Chicken House, Doe's Eat Place, Burge's-all known
Venetian Inn    Tonitown, AR  (slightly north of Fayetteville) not well know. Excellent tradition. Great food.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Arkansas 2011/03/09 10:39:05
Play27-
I saw Venetian Inn mentioned elsewhere and it is sounds like quite a place.  It may be a nice break from the other food we will be eating.  Thanks!

FoodBully-
I am assuming you like CJ's Butcher Boys Burgers better than Feltner's Whatta-Burger in Russellville?  And I appreciate the reply about Chip's BBQ.  We will definitely be stopping in, at least for pie.  I have been to the Memphis Corky's several times and enjoyed it, but like you said, we will be looking more for local places.

Littleman-
I thought we may be hearing from you!  Thanks for the effort and it is nice to see some recommendations for Arkadelphia, because we may be headed that way.  The Old Saw Mill Cafe also caught my eye and is a real possibility.
susanll
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Arkansas 2011/03/09 11:44:15
Ditto on the Old Saw Mill Cafe - fried chicken is terrific.  It is always the stop on trips to and from Little Rock.
Re:Arkansas 2011/03/09 12:32:54
No one mentioned West Memphis AR so I will -- try Willie Mae's Rib Haus, great bbq.  Everyone knows Memphis TN BBQ, but I don't know how many try on the western side of the river --

http://www.yelp.com/biz/w...-rib-haus-west-memphis
FoodBully
Junior Burger
Re:Arkansas 2011/03/09 16:11:19
Haven't been to Feltner's in ages as I'm not often in that area, but totally fell in love with CJ's when I went.  Maybe a side-by-side comparison is in order. 
ScreamingChicken
Filet Mignon
Re:Arkansas 2011/03/10 12:35:01
buffetbuster
ScreamingChicken

Let me get this straight.....  You want us to visit Gassville?  Okay, what's the punchline?

I believe the town slogan is, "Pull my finger."

Brad
FoodBully
Junior Burger
Re:Arkansas 2011/03/11 16:22:24
Kat Robinson's visit, as reported on the Arkansas Times website today, reminded me of another restaurant to suggest for your trip: Your Mama's Good Food. I think it is a better alternative to Franke's Cafeteria.  They have excellent rolls and I love the homemade banana pudding. Click on Kat's name above to visit her great website for other suggestions around the state. 
post edited by FoodBully - 2011/03/11 16:43:33
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Arkansas 2011/03/12 20:35:57
susanll-
Thanks for the confirmation of Old Saw Mill Cafe, although when we stop in, it will most likely be for brekafast.  Of course, if they are willing to make us fried chicken for brekafast, we won't complain!

Laughing Goddess-
Willie Mae's Rib Haus has been on me list of places to try in the Memphis area for some time now, but we have yet to get there.  Thanks for the reminder.

FoodBully-
I became a fan of Arkansas Times on Facebook a few months ago and what a wealth of information.  And Your Mama's Good Food sounds exactly like the types of place that cousin Johnny and I like. 

I haven't been to Franke's Cafeteria in over a decade, but I will most likely stop in, if nothing nothing else for curiousity sake.  Oh, and the pies, too!
FoodBully
Junior Burger
Re:Arkansas 2011/03/14 15:38:21
A slideshow of the 15 best pies in Arkansas as reported by Kat Robinson on Serious Eats website to help you on your trip.
post edited by FoodBully - 2011/03/14 15:39:46
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Arkansas 2011/03/14 15:40:02
FoodBully-
I was just about to post the same thing!  Great looking pies, huh?  The big surprise is that Family Pie Shop isn't represented.
FoodBully
Junior Burger
Re:Arkansas 2011/03/14 16:50:10
buffetbuster

FoodBully-
I was just about to post the same thing!  Great looking pies, huh?  The big surprise is that Family Pie Shop isn't represented.

That is strange. I guess I thought that first pie was from Family Pie Shop instead of Lena's. When I first looked at it, I saw DeValls Bluff and just assumed.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Arkansas 2011/03/14 17:12:15
This past December, I ate at both Family Pie Shop and Mrs. Lena's back to back.  Mrs. Lena's was fine, but wasn't nearly as good as FMP.
TieDyeKat
Junior Burger
Re:Arkansas 2011/03/14 22:16:31
I suppose it's a matter of personal taste.  There's a reason I didn't write about Family Pie Shop... it comes down to not writing about places I don't like.  It's very rare that I say something bad about a place, because I know that doing so could damage these mom-and-pops.  The whole supporting local business argument.

Still... some of these pies are not just amazing... about half of them are otherwise undiscovered.  Seriously!

(and thanks for the props, guys)
TieDyeKat
Junior Burger
Re:Arkansas 2011/03/14 22:19:40
Was going to mention... Chip's Barbecue.  I actually live in this area of town and know the Chipman kids.  Love the meat.  Tolerate the sauce -- I usually get mine without.  The pies, though... holy fish, they are good.  Cheesecake same thing.  The shakes are thick.  Go for lunch, get the nachos with the house cheesedip... it's one of the city's unheralded wonders.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Arkansas 2011/03/15 05:29:50
TieDyeKat-
Welcome to Roadfood!  Thanks for the great pie list and all the other wonderful info you provide.  Arkansas is such an underrated state for food.

Chip's Barbecue has become a must visit.  And "holy fish, they are good" made me laugh!
FoodBully
Junior Burger
Re:Arkansas 2011/03/17 11:45:40
wanderingjew

Buffetbuster

It's been 6 years, but  Crooked Hook Catfish in Jacksonville  AR (suburban Little Rock)
is a must- I've checked recent reviews on reliable yelp and urbanspoon and apparently it's still good.
Besides their catrish, their strong points are their hushpuppies and tomato relish

Trust me on this- please- if you and cousin Johnny are dissapointed I would gladly comp you both for your meals.

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/200/1034371/restaurant/Little-Rock/Crooked-Hook-Catfish-Restaurant-Jacksonville

I read in today's paper that the Crooked Hook is apparently closed for remodeling. The paper didn't say how long it would be closed, so you may want to make sure they are open during your trip. Don't want you getting "Travelin' Manned".
AllenK
Junior Burger
Re:Arkansas 2011/03/19 11:24:04
For burgers in Little Rock,it's a tough call. Arkansas Burger Company,Burger Mama's,Buffalo Grill,Purple Cow,The Hop,Starlite Diner,Cotham's,and The Black Angus are all great. The Dairyland in Prothro Junction is the best in the state IMO though! Mel's in Malvern on US 67 south of town is a close second though.

I like Big Red in Russellville along with CJ's and Feltner's.

As for Arkadelphia/Caddo Valley I sure miss the Pig Pit. It was just about my favorite anywhere especially the sauce. Fat Boy's is very good,but they cleaned up the place too much IMO.
Mr. Sam Hays who ran the Pit for many years and then went to work for Tony @ Fat Boys just passed away a week or so ago. :( I prefer Allen's BBQ at the Highway 8/26/51 jct just west of the Arkadelphia exit. It's not my restaurant BTW,but it is very good IMO!

The Honeycomb is a wonderful place. The workers all have a disability of some sort. It's an offshoot of Group Living which also operates a thrift shop just across the street that's worth checking out also.  You can Google the name to find out more about them.

If you make it down to Texarkana, travel down to Nash,Texas to Guy's Texas Burger. It's a great dive burger joint!! The Texas Burger combo is a huge burger,fries,and a drink for a whopping 4 bucks I believe. I love it!

I could ramble on and on,but I have been to most of the places mentioned here,and I wholeheartedly agree with the recommendations. You have to go to Craigs BBQ,and I wish Shadden's in Marvell was still open.
billyboy
Re:Arkansas 2011/03/19 12:41:18
Wow!  This is a great thread.  So much info.  And TieDyeKat, I love your slideshow on Serious Eats!  I sat there reading it this morning with a sad bowl of Grape-Nuts cereal in front of me and all I wanted was a buffet of those pies!  
Gumbo191
Hamburger
Re:Arkansas 2011/03/26 09:11:01
Hope my response is not too late! As mentioned CJ's in Russelville is a must and the new king of Central AR. burgers beating out Feltners (but I do miss those fried pies at Feltners). See my review of CJ's here with pics: http://eatoutnwa.blogspot.com/2009/08/cjs-butcher-boy-2803-n.html

For Northwest Ar. you must try Monte Ne In http://www.monteneinnchicken.net/ for the best fried chicken around and much better than A.Q. (Clinton's Favorite). Served family style and all u can eat with bean soup, bread with apple butter, mashed potatoes and gravy, corn, green beans and slaw. OMG its so good.

In Roger's AR seek out Susie Q's Malt Shop an original drive in operating for 50+ years serving great burgers and shakes. Plenty of pics here:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Susie-Q-Malt-Shop/103743996332542#!/pages/Susie-Q-Malt-Shop/103743996332542

In downtown Bentonville check out the birthplace of Walmart (Waltons Five and Dime museum) and then head next door to the Station Cafe on the square in Bentonville. Huge flat top griddled burgers with an excellent aged char around the edges of the patty.http://eatoutnwa.blogspot.com/2009/03/station-cafe.html

For catfish check out Catfish Johns in Rogers or The Catfish Hole in Fayetteville.
Suggested Itinerary:

Heading North on 540:
Catfish Hole in Fayetteville
Monte Ne Inn (Outside of Rogers)
Susie Q's Rogers
Freds Hickory Inn (smoked meats and steaks) in Bentonville
Whole Hog Cafe - Bentonville
Walton's Five and Dime followed by Station Cafe in Bentonville

I would be glad to give you a personal tour of these spots if you make it up here. 

post edited by Gumbo191 - 2011/03/27 08:31:10
chickenplucker
Cheeseburger
Re:Arkansas 2011/03/26 21:16:57
Thanks for all the NW Arkansas ideas. I had a pretty good lunch 2 weeks ago at Herman's in Fayetteville. Pork tenderlon sandwich was a monster.
Gumbo191
Hamburger
Re:Arkansas 2011/03/27 08:38:38
Yes Hermans has been a staple in Fayetteville for many years and who woudn't enjoy the saltines and salsa on the table. For your next visit you must look up Moma Dean's Soul Food kitchen she cooks up chicken livers, fried chicken, and many other classics with dessert included for about $10.http://eatoutnwa.blogspot.com/2009/12/momma-deans-soul-food-kitchen-1701-s.html
Littleman
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Arkansas 2011/03/29 11:55:28
Just W of Texarkana on I 30 is a great place for road food. One of my favorite road stops is Ramage Farms Country Store at Exit 208 for good road food. The restaurant is an old building just off the N side of I30 and has all sorts of food stuff to purchase to take home. They serve outstanding BBQ, sandwiches, combo plates and steaks. Stop by if just to rest and get a cold drink. It's worth the effort to visit the old store.
Ramage Farms Country Store @ 901 Main St., Hooks, TX 903 - 547 - 6187.
http://www.ramagefarms.com/
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Arkansas 2011/05/04 13:12:06
I feel as though I owe the board an apology.....

Since this thread was started, our vacation plans have changed.  For some reason, the cost of airfare into Memphis was outrageous, even for the current times when the price of all airfare is up.  (We also looked into Little Rock, Shreveport, St. Louis, Jackson, Tulsa, etc.) When we saw that we could fly further out west, for a lot less money, we went in that direction instead.  So now the vacation for Cousin Johnny and I will be flying into Denver and including time in Wyoming, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota and Nebraska. 

Thanks again to everyone for all of the great suggestions in this thread.  We still plan on taking the Arkansas trip, but it will have to wait until next Summer now.
post edited by buffetbuster - 2011/05/04 13:13:27
susanll
Re:Arkansas 2011/05/04 13:34:26
Cliff - that is why those in the Mid South are praying for the Southwest Airlines deal to go through at the Memphis airport.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Arkansas 2011/05/04 13:40:55
Susanll-
Is the problem because it is a (used to be Northwest) Delta hub?  I used to be able to fly into Memphis for under $200.00 easily, but they were looking for over $500.00, months ahead of time.  Good luck and I hope the Southwest deal happens for you.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Arkansas 2012/02/09 09:17:02
I started this thread last year, because we planned on taking our vacation to Arkansas in 2011.  It got put off, so now we are taking a very similar trip this April.  There has been a lot of excellent suggestions so far, but would love to hear about new discoveries.  Any recommendations are greatly appreciated, especially if they involve pie!
post edited by buffetbuster - 2012/02/09 10:55:41
FoodBully
Junior Burger
Re:Arkansas 2012/02/09 10:38:15
Glad to see you'll be coming after all. All previous recommedations still hold, but HunkaPie has changed location again. They are now in the old Starlite Diner location at 250 Military Drive in North Little Rock.

I almost forgot, Your Mama's Good Food has also relocated to a larger space a few blocks away. The new info is on their Facebook page which I linked to above.
post edited by FoodBully - 2012/02/09 10:45:05
Michael Stern
Re:Arkansas 2012/02/09 10:50:28
Cliff, as you know, I'd probably nominate Arkansas as my favorite of all pie states; and the destinations I recommend are reviewed here at Roadfood.com, but if you are looking for a really great place to stay, I highly recommend Mount Magazine State Park. It's a pretty new facility and in a dramatically nice location: http://www.mountmagazinestatepark.com/.

And when planning to visit the Family Pie Shop, remember to call ahead!
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Arkansas 2012/02/09 11:35:41
FoodBully-
Thanks so much for the links and all your help on this thread.  I do follow HunkaPie on Facebook, so I was aware that they have moved again.  They always seem to be changing locations or switching their hours.  Nonetheless, they are at the top of my list when we are in Little Rock.

I was not aware of Your Mama's Good Food moving, so that is good to know.  Man, I sure wish I could eat lunch there today!

Michael Stern-
That lodge in the state park looks spectacular!  We will definitely be spending a night there.  Thanks so much for the tip.  And cousin Johnny would never forgive me if we don't make a stop at Family Pie Shop.  Last two times I have stopped in though, it wasn't Mary Thomas taking our orders, but her daughter. 

post edited by buffetbuster - 2012/02/09 11:36:44
HDtravlr1
Cheeseburger
Re:Arkansas 2012/03/12 00:41:40
Hugo's in Fayetteville for a great burger and fries. Just off the town square below the street level. A lot of great places mentioned that I have been to also. Hope to try the Monte Ne Inn next weekend.

Johnny McClanahan
Louis
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Arkansas 2012/03/12 12:16:12
If you go to the Family Pie Shop, meander across the road on over to Craig's Bar-B-Q.  When I was there last summer, I got two big jars of their barbecue sauce to go.  I took it to Mississippi, Louisiana, then back through those states and then on to Tennessee and Virginia before heading home and it held up well.  Go with the medium sauce ; I think the hot is too hot and the mild is too mild.

post edited by Louis - 2012/03/12 12:17:25
blackirondude
Junior Burger
Re:Arkansas 2012/03/19 21:49:16
FoodBully
A of the as reported by on website to help you on your trip.

Wow! Now I want to go to Arkansas.
Loreli09
Junior Burger
Re:Arkansas 2012/04/01 22:47:22
This is a nice site for just the kind of info I've been looking for when either traveling or having guests in. Thought I'd add a few of my own, but now I'm wondering if it's better to wait until the 30 days (or whatever) are up so linking can be done.
Loreli09
Junior Burger
Re:Arkansas 2012/04/01 23:52:54
Quick test post until I can do the linkage bit.

Places I've been and would go again:

Rogers/Bentonville/Fayetteville
Red Robin - Burgers
Texas Land & Cattle Steakhouse - Steakhouse
Station Cafe - American/Burgers

Little Rock
Izzy's- Eclectic/American/Tamales
Buffalo Grill - American/Burger/Steaks
Flying Fish - Seafood (<-- fave)
Oyster Bar - Seafood
Copeland's of New Orleans - American/Chain Cajun/Creole
On the Border - TexMex Chain
Layla's Gyro's and Pizzaria - Greek
Iriana's Pizza - Pizza
Whole Hog Cafe - BBQ (<-- fave)
Five Guy's Burgers and Fries - Burgers
David's Burgers - (Same family that own or run the CJ's in Russellville. Same deal)
Grady's Pizza and Subs - name says it all
The Faded Rose - Steaks/Seafood/Cajun
Shotgun Dan's - Pizza

Benton/Bryant -
Ed and Kay's - Diner/Desserts (<--- fave)
Sullivan's Diner - Diner
Buffet City (Chinese/Sushi/buffet)

Sheridan
Jo's Diner - Diner/Breakfast
El Parian (The Frog) - Tex Mex
Cypress Grill - American/Cajun/Creole (Owners come from Louisiana)
Brew Heaven - Coffee Shop/Diner (limited hours)
The Yellowjacket Drive In - Burgers/Shakes (Dairy Queen type of thing)
Mazzios - Pizza/Sandwiches/Salad Bar
Uncle Henry's - BBQ/Smoked meats (limited hours)
The Donut Palace - Donuts/Wraps

Prattsville
The Whippet - Dairy Bar/Seafood/Desserts

Leola
Dorey's Catfish - Seafood/Buffet (Restaurant/Pay-lake setup) The quality was down the last time we ate there, but I'd probably try it at least once more.

Star City
The Village Steakhouse - Steaks/Prime Rib/Desserts/Shopping

post edited by Loreli09 - 2012/05/05 19:26:08
chickenplucker
Cheeseburger
Re:Arkansas 2012/04/07 13:42:17
Finally made it to Fred's Hickory Inn in Bentonville. Thanks Gumbo191. I sat in the lounge dining room which is in the original log cabin section of the huge building. The food and atmosphere were both awesome. My sampler platter consisted of a couple of meaty tender dry rub ribs,a nice link of smoked andouille,slice pork,and several slices of smoked eye of round. Beans,cole slaw,and garlic bread rounded it out and they were all really good also. I will be back.
http://fredshickoryinn.net/
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Arkansas 2012/04/19 14:44:19
I just wanted to thank everyone for all of their great suggestions.  Cousin Johnny and I leave on our trip tomorrow and most of it is planned out.  We will be trying to incorporate many of the ideas from this thread into the vacation.
post edited by buffetbuster - 2012/04/19 15:00:25