Jimmy John's joke

Had one open up close to my wife's office, she called me, as I have an affinity for a good sub. I told her to get me a double meat Italian, oil and vinegar, onions. She came in the house and the first thing she said is, your not going to like this sub, I said how do you know that, she said feel it, it felt like it MIGHT weigh 3 ounces. I unwrapped it, there were 6 absolute onion skin thin slices of Genoa Salami, no provalone although it was supposed to have it, 2 slices of Soprasatta[sp?], thats it! Cost $6.25, would have been $4.65, for single meat, either way, a total joke, oh yeah, about 3 slivers of onions. I called the place, told the manager the sandwich had no provalone, the guy actually said, you don't know what your talking about, we don't make mistakes like that. I told him... well never mind!
The roll was good though.....Stay far away from this place, a COMPLETE ripoff!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Jimmy John's joke 2011/03/17 17:46:54
I'd always heard Jimmy John's was a joke.
DawnT
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Jimmy John's joke 2011/03/17 19:16:06
Isn't the industry standard now 3 oz meat/sub down from 5 oz a few years ago ? Food and paper costs of 30% retail ?
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:Jimmy John's joke 2011/03/17 19:54:35
I found Jimmy Johns to be skimpy on meats as well. Not to mention pretty tasteless.Wont go back.
felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:Jimmy John's joke 2011/03/18 02:20:43
For a company that made its name being near college campuses and which will deliver anything with no minimum order, they're not that bad. I've never once experienced a dearth of meat on a sub.
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:Jimmy John's joke 2011/03/18 10:09:37
I guess my assessment of the sub is more on the quality of meat. It was tasteless. I agree most commercial subs dont pack a whole lot of meat on them, but if its GOOD stuff, than thats what sets them apart. And yes, their delivery system has made them quite a success. But in my case, it was 20.00 for 3 subs, and they were not worth that price. And felix-you hit the nail on the head, their appeal is to a demographic that is younger than I; I am of the generation where quality rules over convenience, as I didnt grow up with most of the fast food places around now.
IntelligentT82
Cheeseburger
Re:Jimmy John's joke 2011/03/24 14:47:54
chewingthefat

Had one open up close to my wife's office, she called me, as I have an affinity for a good sub. I told her to get me a double meat Italian, oil and vinegar, onions. She came in the house and the first thing she said is, your not going to like this sub, I said how do you know that, she said feel it, it felt like it MIGHT weigh 3 ounces. I unwrapped it, there were 6 absolute onion skin thin slices of Genoa Salami, no provalone although it was supposed to have it, 2 slices of Soprasatta[sp?], thats it! Cost $6.25, would have been $4.65, for single meat, either way, a total joke, oh yeah, about 3 slivers of onions. I called the place, told the manager the sandwich had no provalone, the guy actually said, you don't know what your talking about, we don't make mistakes like that. I told him... well never mind!
The roll was good though.....Stay far away from this place, a COMPLETE ripoff!

You were completely right in everything you said.  I just had it, it was terrible.  There was virtually no meat on the sub.  I didn't have the double meat Italian...just the regular Italian...and the amount of meat and toppings were so scarce.  The bread they used was good though...I must admit.
Lindseyup67
Cheeseburger
Re:Jimmy John's joke 2011/04/16 08:41:42
You can't go wrong with a #9! They do not skimp on the meat in my neck of the woods!! Yummo!!
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Jimmy John's joke 2011/04/17 03:59:59
They just opened 14 of them in the Phoenix Metro area. Most of them in the Tempe Area, (Sun Devil Country) which coinsides with the college location comments above. Haven't tried one yet. Doesn't sound like it's something worth skipping school to go get one!" />" />
post edited by Foodbme - 2011/04/17 04:07:45
felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:Jimmy John's joke 2011/04/17 09:27:26
This thread has actually inspired me to order from them more often. If you order online you can schedule delivery at any point in the day within a half-hour window. I work one day a week in our office, so when I get there in the morning I place my order and forget about it until they knock on the door. It's not fabulous food, but it is filling and prompt. And they have really good salt & vinegar potato chips.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:Jimmy John's joke 2011/04/17 10:30:06
I love Jimmy John's "Vito" sub.  The only problem is that I have to eat it in my car because they SCREAM a greeting to each customer that comes in and play music so loudly that I can't even hear myself chew.

Strangely, their catered subs are as "chewingthefat" describes - real light on the meat.  But, when you order at the counter they give you a fair portion.  Go figure!
louisvilleCraig
Junior Burger
Re:Jimmy John's joke 2011/04/18 22:52:04
Number 9 with no lettuce from the Eastown JJ..less than a block from the house and open late...cant beat it!
shivasgirl
Junior Burger
Re:Jimmy John's joke 2011/05/29 16:03:10
we ate there once, and besides being very skimpy and expensive, they left a horrible aftertaste, I think from the bread, I had to go home and brush my teeth and use mouthwash...it was the grossest aftertaste, it hit about 3/4 of the way thru the sandwich, I didnt finish and my husband didnt either, then we were pissed cuz we were hungry an hour later..will NEVER go back! 
ChrisOC
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Jimmy John's joke 2011/06/06 11:17:05
Not to be confused with Jimmy John's Pipin Hot on Rte 202 in West Chester PA http://www.hollyeats.com/JimmyJohns.htm
felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:Jimmy John's joke 2011/06/08 12:43:11
Well, I had to, since I ordered JJ for lunch again today. Is it gourmet? Not so much. Is it lacking in meat or toppings? Also not so much. Especially if you add on any of the several free toppings (I added cucumbers and sprouts to what already came on this one). For eight bucks, delivered for free less than 15 minutes after I placed the order, what is there to complain about? This is the JJ Gargantuan (which I usually order since it makes two lunches...now we're down to four bucks each) which is Genoa salami, sliced smoked ham, capicola, roast beef, turkey & provolone, onions, mayo, lettuce, tomato, & homemade Italian dressing on French bread. I always order online...can't tell you when the last time was I actually went in the store.

Re:Jimmy John's joke 2011/06/08 12:58:07
felix4067

Well, I had to, since I ordered JJ for lunch again today. Is it gourmet? Not so much. Is it lacking in meat or toppings? Also not so much. Especially if you add on any of the several free toppings (I added cucumbers and sprouts to what already came on this one). For eight bucks, delivered for free less than 15 minutes after I placed the order, what is there to complain about? This is the JJ Gargantuan (which I usually order since it makes two lunches...now we're down to four bucks each) which is Genoa salami, sliced smoked ham, capicola, roast beef, turkey & provolone, onions, mayo, lettuce, tomato, & homemade Italian dressing on French bread. I always order online...can't tell you when the last time was I actually went in the store.

The pics don't look anything at all like the sad sandwiches I got from JJ.

felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:Jimmy John's joke 2011/06/08 14:45:20
Maybe it matters where you are. I just happened to have a camera and a sandwich in front of me, so I thought I'd show you what I expect from them when I order. It's not that I didn't believe you, I just don't think the entire chain should suffer because of one bad location.
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:Jimmy John's joke 2011/06/08 16:29:55
Your sandwich looks awesome. Maybe I will give them another chance-I will order your "specialty"!
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Jimmy John's joke 2011/06/08 17:09:26
If you have a Capriotti's in your area, they have JJ's, Subway and the rest of the Chain Joints beat 14 ways from Sunday. http://www.capriottis.com/
There are better mom & pop shops, but for a chain, they're tops.
felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:Jimmy John's joke 2011/06/08 17:22:25
Closest Capriotti's to me is in Milwaukee, which is almost directly across the lake. Doesn't look like a very big chain yet, but maybe they'll come here. I'll be happy to give 'em a try, especially if they do free delivery!

@annpeeples: It's the most expensive thing on their menu, but like I said, I get two lunches out of it so it's worth it to me. Next time I get a regular sandwich I'll have to get a picture so I can compare them side-by-side. But that is why I was so confused when everyone kept saying they didn't have very much meat on them! All I order extra is the free stuff if it doesn't come with it.
Re:Jimmy John's joke 2011/06/09 08:56:40
Just pop on over to Muskegon and grab the ferry to Milwaukee!

Brad
felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:Jimmy John's joke 2011/06/09 11:12:50
I always forget that's there! In my head, the only ferry is the Badger out of Ludington, and they're trying to shut it down. Still, an hour drive to Muskegon plus a 2 1/2-hour ferry ride each way to the tune of $307 round trip (with a car) plus however long it takes to drive there on your side just seems a tad excessive to eat a sandwich!
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:Jimmy John's joke 2011/06/09 15:18:24
Not if you are a true roadfooder!
ceponatia
Junior Burger
Re:Jimmy John's joke 2012/01/07 10:15:12
I know this is an old post but as the general manager of a Jimmy John's I had to pipe in... The experience you described sounds to me like a terribly run restaurant plain and simple.  If you ordered an italian with double meat there should have been 12 slices of salami, 6 slices of capicola, and the provalone that you note was not on the sandwich.  Also there should have been a hell of a lot more onions.  If I were you I wouldn't go back to that restaurant either.  Hopefully they'll go under and someone who knows what they're doing will take over.
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
Re:Jimmy John's joke 2012/01/07 10:59:40
Thanks for the comments and info, ceponatia.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:Jimmy John's joke 2012/01/07 12:19:47
I wish ceponatia would address the screamed greeting and loud music issues we have here in McKinney, TX. 

Is all that noise "company policy"?
CevapiJackson
Junior Burger
Re:Jimmy John's joke 2012/01/13 19:02:38
I work on a college campus in Chicago and a few years back they opened up a JJ just down the street from my job which happens to be across the street from a different college campus. My boss and a coworker get these all teh time and I just don't get it. Skimpy and underwhelming. the first time was ok, teh second time, I took a different co-worker and his exclamation after devouring his sub was "I can't believe I just paid five buck for THAT." Needless to say, we never went back. 
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
Re:Jimmy John's joke 2012/01/13 19:38:58
I went to one in Florida (Tampa) ... Let's just say it wasn't Arizona.
Coming from Connecticut, I'm a tough critic.

MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:Jimmy John's joke 2012/01/14 10:34:48
Foodbme

If you have a Capriotti's in your area, they have JJ's, Subway and the rest of the Chain Joints beat 14 ways from Sunday. http://www.capriottis.com/

Thanks for the tip.  They just opened their first Texas store in Plano on Preston Rd.* near one of our favorite shopping/eating areas.  I checked their menu and it includes my favorite:  Grilled Italian sausage w. provolone & marinara.  That's today's lunch!
 -------------------------

*For those who are unfamiliar with the Metroplex, Preston Rd. follows an old cattle trail from Highland Park (which has more billionaires per capita than the Upper East Side) through University Park, North Dallas, Plano, Frisco, & points north.  The 25 mile stretch from HP through Frisco has more restaurants & retail than any other such highway in the world.
the grillman
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Jimmy John's joke 2012/01/17 21:44:14
hey, I like Jimmy John's.  MUCH better than Subway.
sk bob
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Jimmy John's joke 2012/01/17 22:25:42
wheregreggeats.com

I went to one in Florida (Tampa) ... Let's just say it wasn't Arizona.
Coming from Connecticut, I'm a tough critic.

you're right Greg, NONE of those chain joints can EVER equal an Independent GRINDER shop from New England, EVEN THOUGH, Subway is headquartered in Milford,CT.
Subway is the company name but the corporate name WAS or still is Doctors Associates. ( any more info on that is welcomed please ).
that sounds like to me they're only in it for the profits.
nothing wrong with that.

if I'd have invested my money in that, I'd be eating at Franklin Ave. Giant Grinder every day for lunch and Chuck's Steakhouse every night for dinner.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:Jimmy John's joke 2012/01/20 17:04:44
Foodbme

Hey, thanks!

Tried them yesterday and the food was great.

One problem though:  while I (a "Jim") was waiting for my sandwich a "Tim" and a "Kim" were also waiting for theirs.  The native Spanish-speaker who was calling names pronounced all of our names indentically so there was quite a traffic jam at the ready counter.  I've encountered this before and am thinking about becoming a "Jaime" (hai'-may)!

felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:Jimmy John's joke 2012/01/20 17:14:47
MetroplexJim

One problem though:  while I (a "Jim") was waiting for my sandwich a "Tim" and a "Kim" were also waiting for theirs.  The native Spanish-speaker who was calling names pronounced all of our names indentically so there was quite a traffic jam at the ready counter.  I've encountered this before and am thinking about becoming a "Jaime" (hai'-may)!

A friend of mine (female) always gives her name as "Bob". One memorable lunchtime, the person behind the counter called out "Girl Bob".
DarkStar519
Junior Burger
Re:Jimmy John's joke 2012/06/04 00:21:53
I work for Jimmy Johns in Michigan. I work for a franchise. Our franchise doesn't skimp on meats and cheese. We will always send you out a new sub no charge with a free side if it was made incorrectly. We turn down our music if its too loud for you. We will always greet you as enthusiastically as possible. We make 30 second subs and deliver in under 5 minutes. Period. We also own all the chains in Arizona.

Jimmy Johns General Manager.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:Jimmy John's joke 2012/06/04 09:58:00
DarkStar519

I work for Jimmy Johns in Michigan. I work for a franchise. Our franchise doesn't skimp on meats and cheese. We will always send you out a new sub no charge with a free side if it was made incorrectly. We turn down our music if its too loud for you. We will always greet you as enthusiastically as possible. We make 30 second subs and deliver in under 5 minutes. Period. We also own all the chains in Arizona.

Because the "Vito" is so tasty I would patronize a Jimmy John's that doesn't scream their "enthusiastic greeting" and deafen me with their FOREGROUND (as opposed to background) music. 

Sadly, these do not exist in my part of Texas (McKinney/Plano).  The one time I asked for the music to be lowered the "attitude" was as though I'd farted in church and the "lowering" was insultingly imperceptible. 

I know that (which annoys me so) is part of JJ's "corporate kitch" because it pleases/mimics the personality of the CEO, but please know that it is costing him, his franchisees, and you $ales.  In my mind all that hoopla and racket is as corporately stupid as it would be for Domino's to insist on putting anchovies on every pizza just because their CEO is a huge anchovy fan.

WRT: portions - while the subs prepared for in-store consumption are adequately portioned, the "catered" versions are very skimpy on the meat & cheese. 
post edited by MetroplexJim - 2012/06/04 10:10:57
Glenn1234
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Jimmy John's joke 2012/06/04 12:40:49
DarkStar519

While I apprecite your enthusiasm and attitude as a JJ's manager, I will not be going back.   I went once, looking for a hot ham a cheese or maybe a cheesesteak.  I found that JJ's only serves COLD subs/sandwiches.    I'm not a fan of cold subs/sandwiches, and could easily make one at home.   It's not rocket science to stick cold meat and cheese on cold bread.  Hot sandwiches are a little more complex, and taste MUCH better in my opinion.  :)   Nothing like a hot oven grinder.

If JJ's starts making HOT sandwiches (and turns down the loud music), I'll give it another try.  Almost every other sub/sandwich chain out there has hot subs available.  Come on JJ's .... get with the program.  

Glenn