Sushi eating and the radiation from the Japanese earthquake

Sirloin
2011/03/27 20:22:48
This morning I heard a caller ask an interesting to Melinda Lee, the local radio food person.

Her question to Melinda: Since the radioactive leakage from the nuclear reactors in Japan, are you eating sushi?

Melinda's answer was yes, twice that she can think of.

Now my questions:

Do you know where your fish was caught?

Would you be concerned if it was known that they were caught in Japanese waters?

I know that there was a question about seafood from the
Gulf after the oil platform disaster but radioactive seafood seems very different.

If your fish wasn't caught in Japanese waters, did they swim there a few weeks ago?

Does this matter?
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Sushi eating and the radiation from the Japanese earthquake 2011/03/27 21:26:34
None of my fish ever swim in Japanese waters. Perhaps they might if they had passports that would enbable them to return to the United States' waters. And that's because Homeland Security doesn't allow anadromous species to enter our waters unless they have valid passports. This is why stocks of salmon and steelhead are dwindling. The fish are not being permitted to return to their natal streams to spawn. It has been authoritatively reported that Janet Napolitano is behind the ban on the return to U.S. waters of the anadromous species because she once had a date with a commercial salmon fisherman from Aberdeen, Washington and this was the one way she could get back at him, and all those like him, for never calling for another date.
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:Sushi eating and the radiation from the Japanese earthquake 2011/03/27 21:57:11
Michael - I want some of what you are drinking/smoking/snorting/injecting.
Jim
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Sushi eating and the radiation from the Japanese earthquake 2011/03/27 22:22:20
post edited by Michael Hoffman - 2011/03/27 22:41:04
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Sushi eating and the radiation from the Japanese earthquake 2011/03/28 02:34:19
If I'm not mistaken, most of the radiation leaks are airborne. Someone correct me it that's not the case.
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
Re:Sushi eating and the radiation from the Japanese earthquake 2011/03/28 07:21:12
Oh boy.  Nuclear physics on Roadfood.com.

JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:Sushi eating and the radiation from the Japanese earthquake 2011/03/28 08:12:13
Foodbme - The radioactive  material that is released begins airborne, but settles onto land and into the ocean.
mar52 - I doubt that much fish served in the U.S. is caught in Japanese waters.  The fish that is caught there is unlikely to contain unsafe levels of additional radioactive materials.  The oceans are so vast that any fallout will be greatly dilluted. 
That is all true unless Bill Clinton is found on the grassy knoll with Michael Hoffman and Paul (the extraterrestrial).  Then all bets are off.

Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Sushi eating and the radiation from the Japanese earthquake 2011/03/28 08:22:35
Foodbme

If I'm not mistaken, most of the radiation leaks are airborne. Someone correct me it that's not the case.

This report was on FOX this morning.  Apparently radiation has spread at least a mile off shore from the reactors.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/03/28/radiation-seawater-soil-spreading-japan/

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

marzsit
Cheeseburger
Re:Sushi eating and the radiation from the Japanese earthquake 2011/08/15 00:04:54
in the american market, most of the canned tuna does come from the far east but the fresh tuna used for sushi comes from southern california/baja california. virtually all of the japanese fishing industry's catch ends up in the japanese market, which usually runs short so they end up importing tons of seafood from other countries anyway.

i suspect it would be bottom fish and shellfish that would be more succeptible to radioactive contamination rather than free-swimmers...
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Sushi eating and the radiation from the Japanese earthquake 2011/08/15 00:38:29
Michael Hoffman
None of my fish ever swim in Japanese waters. Perhaps they might if they had passports that would enbable them to return to the United States' waters. And that's because Homeland Security doesn't allow anadromous species to enter our waters unless they have valid passports. This is why stocks of salmon and steelhead are dwindling. The fish are not being permitted to return to their natal streams to spawn. It has been authoritatively reported that Janet Napolitano is behind the ban on the return to U.S. waters of the anadromous species because she once had a date with a commercial salmon fisherman from Aberdeen, Washington and this was the one way she could get back at him, and all those like him, for never calling for another date.

It's my understanding that she's not interested in fisherMEN anyway.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Sushi eating and the radiation from the Japanese earthquake 2011/08/15 01:28:04
Tip of the Day----When going for Sushi, always take your Geiger Counter with you!
doggydaddy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Sushi eating and the radiation from the Japanese earthquake 2011/08/15 04:50:41

I don't worry too much about Japanese fish when we can't get ground beef and turkey right.
      Though it doesn't look like it on your map, it's really a big ocean that completely surrounds that nation. There is plenty of fish in the big, big sea.  Ultimately I believe that the Japanese would be almost honor bound to prevent anything like that to happen. They don't want any more harm to come to both the world and its people. Any Japanese CEO that allowed radioactive fish to be sold would commit hari-kari; here a CEO would get a golden parachute.

mark
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:Sushi eating and the radiation from the Japanese earthquake 2011/08/15 06:46:58
I could care less about japanese fish.Dont get me wrong-I am absolutely on board when there is a disaster anywhere in the world. Our family has good friends in Japan. But I am more worried about all of our food in America. Meat, fruit and vegetables seem to be at risk these days.
brisketboy
Re:Sushi eating and the radiation from the Japanese earthquake 2011/08/15 10:26:39
What would you rather eat, radiated seafood or mercury laden seafood? Anyway, who cares, nobody gets out of here alive. Your gonna feel awfully stupid eating healthy, exercising, and laying in the old folks home dying of nothing. Gimme another In and Out double double with onions.
Davwud
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Sushi eating and the radiation from the Japanese earthquake 2011/08/15 12:41:34
My take on it is this. There are government entities that are there to look out for us. Cynicism aside, I don't pretend to know more than they do. So if they don't deem something unsafe, I don't worry about it.

And as bb points out. We all have an expiration date anyway.

DT
doggydaddy
Re:Sushi eating and the radiation from the Japanese earthquake 2011/08/15 12:50:48

I have a part-time job cooking for some really old folks and the owner of the business wants everything to be whole grain, brown rice, turkeyburgers and add flax seed to the cookies. They don't eat it. One time I made teriyaki chicken on vegetable fried(white grain) rice. They went wild. They eat the other stuff begrudgingly.  I try my very best to avoid serving "healthy" food.
     I was also able to get my toothless 93 yo granny to eat Buffalo wings before passing on. She liked my Thai coconut curry soup too. She would eat pizza from Colony Grill and Letizia's and fried fish from Westfair Fish & Chips. I miss Westfair......

mark
jimcor
Cheeseburger
Re:Sushi eating and the radiation from the Japanese earthquake 2011/08/20 22:03:26
I wouldn't be worried about sushi...for now. However canned tuna, asian fish, etc.  might be a concern in the very, ( VERY),  near future. Those tons of radioactive water that were dumped into the ocean, the continuing release of radioactive material from the melting down reactors at Fukushima are a major concern because tuna that swim in Japanese waters do make their way into US waters.  Ain't nobody (ya reckon) been talking about this, but if you eat canned tuna I'd stock it now for future consumption.

smokestack lightning
Cheeseburger
Re:Sushi eating and the radiation from the Japanese earthquake 2011/08/21 01:12:57
Just my two cents worth. I love Sushi and seafood. But I would not eat fish from Japanese waters. And have stopped eating all seafood from the Gulf of Mexico after all the chemicals that were used to stop the oil spill. And yes sooner or later the nuclear meltdown will ruin all the seafood in the world. In my opinion not testing that seafood and letting people think it's safe , both from the Gulf and from japan, is criminal.

Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re:Sushi eating and the radiation from the Japanese earthquake 2011/08/21 10:37:56
Who can afford to eat sushi these days anyway?