Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/04/13 22:01:03
That's not where I was looking.
pnwchef
Filet Mignon
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/04/14 06:52:39
mar52

Darn, is my mouth is watering!

Good to see that your little girl is headed in the right direction!

I would have had what you had.  How were the muscles? I've found that muscles served as an integral part of a dish here in the Los Angeles area have a horrible scent and taste.... and I love good muscles.

I thought you were talking about my photo I took in Venice beach...............These mussels come from Washington State and were real good. I use the Cioppino base sauce when I steam Clams, Mussels or eat fish. It is great to serve with a crusty bread and a glass of wine and a salad. It's my kind of full meal deal......I cook my Cioppino base sauce all day, the flavor is fantastic.............
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/04/14 10:34:14
Would love your recipe,PNWCHEF!!
Jim2903
Cheeseburger
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/04/14 11:16:07
This thread is perfectly timed -- I'm going on a business trip to Anaheim in June and stretching it into a family vacation. Thanks!
pnwchef
Filet Mignon
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/04/14 12:02:20
Jim2903

This thread is perfectly timed -- I'm going on a business trip to Anaheim in June and stretching it into a family vacation. Thanks!

Jim, EdSails and Mar were a great help, They gave me many ideas on the what, where, when's and how's, on where to eat and what to do.............Thanks to both of you for opening up your
 hearts to me and my family...................pnwc
pnwchef
Filet Mignon
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/04/14 12:19:41
annpeeples

Would love your recipe,PNWCHEF!!

Ann, I made this last night, but I never use a recipe. This is the same sauce I make for Cioppino, instead of using it for Cioppino, I used it for Blackened Halibut and then finished it in the sauce..I will make a point to post this recipe the next time I make it. My little girl finished off one of these, I grill hers and served it with Tartar sauce, I love to see her eat well..............pnwc

mar52
Sirloin
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/04/14 12:59:43
You're quite welcome PNWC.  

Did you serve pasta to sop up all that delicious looking sauce?

pnwchef
Filet Mignon
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/04/14 13:29:07
mar52

You're quite welcome PNWC.  

Did you serve pasta to sop up all that delicious looking sauce?

Hi Mar, as you could see with this sauce all the tomatoes are soft and the liquid is reduced leaving a rich tomato based seafood sauce. I do take out the Halibut and throw in some linguini and serve it with either warm crusty bread or Garlic bread. When I add liquid during the cooking process, it is either a seafood stock or clam juice so the flavor keeps on getting better and better...................pnwc.............P.S. Sop, is a good Roadfood word......
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/04/14 15:12:27
Well, my friend, if you give me the basics of your sauce, I believe I could take it from there. I have never had cioppino, have talked about it for years with my brother-in-law. He is as adventurous as I am when it comes to this type of stuff. Regardless of my midwest roots, I think I can do it!!
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/04/14 17:02:13
Bodacious looking PNWCHEF, put up the basics if you would!
pnwchef
Filet Mignon
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/04/14 17:06:08
Mar, just to show you that good food doesn't have to be fancy pants, this is one of my wife's favorites..........
Raw potatoes, soon to be fried potatoes

half way there.....
 fried crispy on the outside, not greasy, tender on the inside.. What do you think I will be hooking these potatoes up with for the main entree ??????

post edited by PNWCHEF - 2011/04/14 17:08:14
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/04/14 17:13:42
What, no onions?
pnwchef
Filet Mignon
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/04/14 17:19:22
Michael Hoffman

What, no onions?

Cooked in olive oil, Chef Hoffman, seasoned with granulated garlic, season salt and pepper, paprika.
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/04/14 17:21:46
I'll have my onions in the eggs with the potatoes on the side... please.
pnwchef
Filet Mignon
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/04/14 17:26:37
Fried potatoes, Nathans hot dogs and Kraut.....

mar52
Sirloin
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/04/14 17:58:46
Yummmm, Looks good.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/04/14 18:20:07
PNWCHEF

Michael Hoffman

What, no onions?

Cooked in olive oil, Chef Hoffman, seasoned with granulated garlic, season salt and pepper, paprika.

Ah, I'm not a chef. I'm just a brilliant, talented cook. Oh, and I approve of the granulated garlic, the pepper and the paprika. I don't care for seasoned salt, preferring just kosher salt, thank you.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/04/14 18:21:01
mar52

What do you know?
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/04/14 18:38:08
Michael Hoffman

mar52

What do you know?

I'm an expert at eating.
Greymo
Filet Mignon
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/04/14 18:55:46
Those look just like my potatoes except  I have bacon and onions with mine. I think you should bake your sauerkraut.....................it really is wonderful that way.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/04/14 18:59:40
mar52

Michael Hoffman

mar52

What do you know?

I'm an expert at eating.

If that were true then you'd know that you have lox with your eggs and onions, and more onions with the potatoes.

chefbuba
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/04/14 20:58:52
annpeeples

Well, my friend, if you give me the basics of your sauce, I believe I could take it from there. I have never had cioppino, have talked about it for years with my brother-in-law. He is as adventurous as I am when it comes to this type of stuff. Regardless of my midwest roots, I think I can do it!!

Nithing like a good cioppino....dig in, get messy and have plenty of garlic bread to mop it up with.
Or go with the lazy man's cioppno... (scroll down to house favorites) everything out of the shell.
pnwchef
Filet Mignon
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/04/14 21:07:15
chefbuba

annpeeples

Nithing like a good cioppino....dig in, get messy and have plenty of garlic bread to mop it up with.
Or go with the ... (scroll down to house favorites) everything out of the shell.

Scoma's, One of my favorite Restaurants in San Francisco.............
chefbuba
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/04/14 21:12:03
Amen!... I have not been in years... I was just looking at the sand dabs on the menu...one of my favorite fish.
I need to make a trip over to Pikes and hunt some down.
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/04/14 21:15:02
Well, thank you, PNWC. 
Think it's time for cioppino again!
pnwchef
Filet Mignon
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/04/14 21:29:11
EdSails

Well, thank you, PNWC. 
Think it's time for cioppino again!

Ed, that would be one dish you would do well, and love doing it...............
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/04/14 22:51:42
Years ago, I used to make my own sauce.....hard work but it was really good. Then Trader Joe's came out with a cioppino simmer sauce and it made a good cioppiino really easy. A few years after that-----they discontinued the sauce. I made cioppino occasionally after that, but it's a heckofa lot more work now!
pnwchef
Filet Mignon
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/04/15 09:12:16
Ed, I have made this from ruby red, out of the garden, peak of the season tomatoes . I also made some real good Gumbo from the tomatoes. If your using canned tomatoes the process is mostly reducing the liquid and getting the Diced tomatoes tender. In most cases I find the Restaurant Cioppino sauce to have to many chunks of tomato with no flavor. I would rather have a more seafood base smooth tomato infused flavor. I would just make sure to start out with a quality canned tomato, it could be whole or diced tomatoes..................I have never had a Cioppino I didn't like, but I have had some that were better than others..................pnwc
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/04/15 12:40:02
Tomatoes in gumbo?
pnwchef
Filet Mignon
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/04/16 07:33:16
Mar, you betcha sweet gumbo, by Golly. I make a two Beer Dark Roux "When I'm done with two beers, the Roux is done" Tomatoes, Chicken stock, Green onions, Garlic, salt, pepper, Tony's C, red pepper flakes, Crawdad tails. What I do is take the flavors my wife likes and work around those. I make things the way I think they should taste, there is no reason for me to add things people don't like. I'm not saying it's authentic, I'm just saying it's good. I don't follow recipes, I just start with caring and finish the same way...........pnwc
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/04/16 12:30:04
Marlene,
I took a look in what has long been the definitive book on the subject, Creole Gumbo and All That Jazz: A New Orleans Seafood Cookbook, by Howard Mitcham, published in 1978 (and my copy has the stains to prove I've used it many a time). I would say three-quarters of the recipes have tomato, some specifying creole tomatoes and some canned. 

MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/04/16 12:41:09
Ed's right, a lot of gumbos have tomatoes in them.
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/04/16 12:57:22
Oh, I know about the inclusion of tomatoes.  I just don't like them.  

Chefs from Louisiana and the other 49 states would probably gasp when then saw me add a small pinch of sugar to mine.

Gumbo is one of those things where you use up what you have and add what you want to make it better.

My roux is the color of Hershey's chocolate syrup but always lightens up when I add the vegetables.

Oh, I also add a paper towel, but remove it as quick as I put it in.
pnwchef
Filet Mignon
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/04/16 12:59:39
I think Mar graduated from the Michael Hoffman Culinary School in New Haven Ct, they didn't make Gumbo with tomatoes either........I know they used Mushrooms in all the dishes..........
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/04/16 13:01:48
Mar, didn't I read/hear/see somewhere that you won some gumbo making contests in Louisiana? Or am I off in another dream world again?
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/04/16 13:05:55
PNWCHEF

I think Mar graduated from the Michael Hoffman Culinary School in New Haven Ct, they didn't make Gumbo with tomatoes either........I know they used Mushrooms in all the dishes..........

Where I come from in Connecticut the closest thing you can find to gumbo is goombah. Or maybe the soup at Gag's Pepper Pot on Dixwell Avenue.
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/04/16 13:31:20
 Michael Hoffman:  Mar, didn't I read/hear/see somewhere that you won some gumbo making contests in Louisiana? Or am I off in another dream world again?

Two gumbo cook-offs with my pinch of sugar.  Not a tomato in sight.

Louisiana chefs judged the cook-off, but they took place in the other L.A.... Los Angeles.

The prize was a trip for 2 to New Orleans, each time.  I love that place so I had to win.

PS...  Keep dreaming.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/04/16 13:34:07
Ah, OK. I thought it had something to do with Louisiana.
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/04/16 13:44:28
It did, indeed.
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/04/16 14:48:50
I will have to sample your gumbo some time!
pnwchef
Filet Mignon
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/04/16 17:24:34
Ed, Looks like we are going to have to have a Gumbo throwdown and see what Mar's pinch is all about..............
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/04/16 20:17:20
Yes, she has more patience than I have..........hard to kill an hour just for a roux!
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2011/04/16 22:24:05
I'm a wuss.  I take more than an hour for mine.  On again off again on again off again and I'm talking about my roux pot on the heat.
pnwchef
Filet Mignon
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help 2012/04/05 09:47:30
A year later, same group at Disneyland California 2012. We met Marlene (Mar52) and her Texan side kick Sharon for a Mrs Knott's Fried Chicken Dinner. The Fried chicken was crispy and juicy, good mashed potatoes and gravy, corn, Warm biscuits and jelly, salad, rhubarb and a piece of Boysenberry pie, thats my kind of meal. It was great meeting Marlene and Sharon, we had a nice visit and it was nice to finally meet in person. Mar, thanks for driving through the Traffic, happy you got there in one piece....Bill
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3