Disneyland LA Restaurant Help

Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 60 of 164
pnwchef
  • Total Posts : 2234
  • Reward points : 0
Disneyland LA Restaurant Help - Mon, 03/28/11 4:44 PM
I'll be in LA for a week starting Sunday 4/3/2011, I'm not renting a car because my wife goes nuts with the traffic and makes my life a challenge during rush hour. So to keep everyone sane, I have decided not to rent a car and stay married. We are staying right across the street for the main gate at Disney and plan to take a few taxis to a few Restaurants I want to show them. One Restaurant is Umami burger, I would consider this a Roadfood Kind of place. In N Out Burger for the second choice, I think there is one with in a good range of the Hotel. I would also like to get to Philippe's, another Roadfood favorite. Does anyone have any Ideas for a close Taxi ride, that may be a Must eat Roadfood idea, I will have my 10 year old little girl and my wife with me..............Thanks for the help........PNWC

mar52
  • Total Posts : 7598
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help - Mon, 03/28/11 8:23 PM
Hello from Los Angeles!

How many in your family?  Just three?  My SUV knows the way to Phillipe's blindfolded.

I can't think of any Roadfood type places near the Disney properties, but right down the street from Phillipe's is Cielito Lindo, home of the best taquitos in the country.

This happens to be my second week of unemployment so I have some time on my hands.  I'd love to take you and yours around the city.  Your wife can't divorce me!

How about a hot dog at Skooby's and then showing your daughter the Hollywood sign and Grauman's Chinese Theater?

The fried chicken at Knott's Berry Farm is sort of Roadfoodish, but it might be difficult "not" taking your daughter inside for the awful rides.

Just let me know as it would be my pleasure.

pnwchef
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help - Mon, 03/28/11 8:43 PM
mar52

Hello from Los Angeles!

How many in your family?  Just three?  My SUV knows the way to Phillipe's blindfolded.

I can't think of any Roadfood type places near the Disney properties, but right down the street from Phillipe's is Cielito Lindo, home of the best taquitos in the country.

This happens to be my second week of unemployment so I have some time on my hands.  I'd love to take you and yours around the city.  Your wife can't divorce me!

How about a hot dog at Skooby's and then showing your daughter the Hollywood sign and Grauman's Chinese Theater?

The fried chicken at Knott's Berry Farm is sort of Roadfoodish, but it might be difficult "not" taking your daughter inside for the awful rides.

Just let me know as it would be my pleasure.

You are a sweetheart Mar, I will have to let you know when we get there. Things happen to us on vacation, the best laid plans go to heck in a hand basket, I will keep in touch......I can think of no one better to have a Roadfood adventure with..........thank you for your kindness...................PNWC

mar52
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help - Mon, 03/28/11 9:07 PM
PNWC, I'm looking forward to hearing from you.  

You would have to rob a bank to take a taxi to Phillipe's from Disneyland.  Then there's that ride back.

Edit:  A band might have more money than a bank, but I had to fix it.  

<message edited by mar52 on Mon, 03/28/11 9:19 PM>

wanderingjew
  • Total Posts : 7384
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help - Mon, 03/28/11 9:12 PM
If you're going to be in Hollywood- and want some real
GEN-U-WINE Southern California Roadfood- then you have to try some of the Smoothies at Juices Fountain.
It's been around for several decades and is owned by a family from Columbia

The first thing I noticed about Southern California is the inundation of local independent juice bars (as well as the chains such as Jamba Juice) which started in the LA area- and the quality exceeds anything else I've had in the rest of the country.

Juices Fountain doesn't have a website- but
here is their review on Yelp
http://www.yelp.com/biz/juices-fountain-hollywood

Burgers are Burgers- you can get the same quality of burger in Kennewick WA that you can in LA- I'm personally  not a fan of In and Out- it was "ok" but nothing mind blowing- but I know that others think its the be all end all
<message edited by wanderingjew on Mon, 03/28/11 9:13 PM>

mar52
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help - Mon, 03/28/11 9:33 PM
I also don't think In 'n Out burgers are anything special, but you can get them with grilled onions! That's not bad.

However, you can't say you've had one unless you have.

Dale, I don't notice the smoothie places because I see them everywhere.  Most seem to be chains.

pnwchef
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help - Mon, 03/28/11 9:38 PM
mar52

I also don't think In 'n Out burgers are anything special, but you can get them with grilled onions! That's not bad.

However, you can't say you've had one unless you have.

Dale, I don't notice the smoothie places because I see them everywhere.  Most seem to be chains.

Mar, I can be talked out of anything when there is a better choice. I have heard a lot about In N Out from other Roadfooders. It looks like they do a great job for being a chain operation. I just like to go to places that put there heart and soul in what they do.

mar52
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help - Mon, 03/28/11 9:48 PM
I won't talk you out of an In 'n Out.  You should be able to make your own opinion.

Sadly, my favorite hamburger place closed a few years ago.

wanderingjew
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help - Mon, 03/28/11 10:28 PM
mar52

Having lived in the NYC area, Albuquerque, Seattle, Pittsburgh and now Rhode Island they've been non existent everywhere I guess that's why I noticed them out  in So-Cal-  it seems that most of them are Latino owned and operated which also kind of surprises me that they didn't seem to exist in Albuquerque- lots of Horchatas - but no Smoothies .

<message edited by wanderingjew on Mon, 03/28/11 10:30 PM>

pnwchef
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help - Tue, 03/29/11 10:09 AM
wanderingjew

mar52

Having lived in the NYC area, Albuquerque, Seattle, Pittsburgh and now Rhode Island they've been non existent everywhere I guess that's why I noticed them out  in So-Cal-  it seems that most of them are Latino owned and operated which also kind of surprises me that they didn't seem to exist in Albuquerque- lots of Horchatas - but no Smoothies .

Thanks WJ, I don't think my little 10 year old ever went to a juice bar she didn't like.

eagle6894
  • Total Posts : 44
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help - Tue, 03/29/11 12:23 PM
It would cost  a ton of money to get to LA from Disney. I would go to Long Beach to Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles. I think in Buena Park is a little red building called the Little Red Caboose, small and great Mexican Food.  I think you have to try IN-N-OUT if your in SOCAL!!

wanderingjew
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help - Tue, 03/29/11 3:02 PM
eagle6894

It would cost  a ton of money to get to LA from Disney. I would go to Long Beach to Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles. I think in Buena Park is a little red building called the Little Red Caboose, small and great Mexican Food.  I think you have to try IN-N-OUT if your in SOCAL!!

I'd still gladly pay  full market price (perhaps 2x market price) for one burger at the Penguin in your neck of the woods over a lifetime supply of free In-n-Out Burgers

PNW Chief

You may want to consider the rapid rail system. I'm not sure if it runs through Anaheim, but you can take it from Long Beach into Downtown and Hollywood

<message edited by wanderingjew on Tue, 03/29/11 3:10 PM>

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17819
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help - Tue, 03/29/11 4:56 PM
wanderingjew

mar52

Heck, we even have a couple of smoothie places in Gahanna, although I don't want to know what a smoothie is.

wanderingjew
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help - Tue, 03/29/11 4:59 PM
Michael Hoffman

wanderingjew

mar52

Heck, we even have a couple of smoothie places in Gahanna, although I don't want to know what a smoothie is.

I'm talking hundreds if not "thousands" in the So- Cal area-

In other parts of the country I've seen coffee shops "double" as smoothie/juice bars, unfortunately they are made of mixes, syrups and powders, or if you're lucky enough old fruit that's been frozen for G-d knows how long.

mar52
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help - Tue, 03/29/11 5:06 PM
Long Beach isn't that close to Disneyland.

Michael Hoffman
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help - Tue, 03/29/11 5:15 PM
There's one of those smoothie places called Smoothie King just up the road from me. I guess there must be people who eat those things -- or drink them. I don't know what you do with a smoothie thing.

chewingthefat
  • Total Posts : 6093
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help - Tue, 03/29/11 5:35 PM
PNW, I'll bet there is a Pollo Loco nearby where your staying, it's a chain, but it's really good. At least last time I chowed there, they marinate chicken in citrus then charbroil it, served with warm tacos. Mayor Al will back me on this one...I think!

mar52
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help - Tue, 03/29/11 5:38 PM
I will also back you on Pollo Loco.  The only problem is that they're using smaller chickens.

wanderingjew
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help - Tue, 03/29/11 5:43 PM
mar52

Long Beach isn't that close to Disneyland.

Then why on earth did someone suggest recommendations in Long Beach?

Anyway, I found out that there is a rail stop near Angel Stadium in Anaheim  about 2 1/2 miles from Disney- I think it's a metro link stop - that  goes to Union Station

wanderingjew
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help - Tue, 03/29/11 5:44 PM
Michael Hoffman

There's one of those smoothie places called Smoothie King just up the road from me. I guess there must be people who eat those things -- or drink them. I don't know what you do with a smoothie thing.

Yeah, that's a national chain- you know- like McDonalds!

Michael Hoffman
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help - Tue, 03/29/11 5:54 PM
It's a chain? I had no idea.

EdSails
  • Total Posts : 3566
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help - Tue, 03/29/11 6:57 PM
Hi PNW CHef,
Ok, I'll throw in my 2 cents worth. First, there is an Amtrak Station at Angel Stadium in Anaheim (it's literally in the baseball stadium parking lot). I would wager there is bus transport from Disneyland to there. From there, you can take the train to Union Station downtown. Phillipe's is right across the street from the station. When you eat, try to get a seat in the "circus room" off to the side in the front-----they have neat old photos as well as classic train models. After that, you are in walking distance to both Chinatown and Olvera Street----both touristy but possibly worth a look. Back on the train and you're in Anaheim in less than an hour. 
Around the stadium, you have plenty of eating choices. Some may require a taxi but you might inquire if your hotel has a local shuttle---many in the area do and will take you places for a nominal fee. Roadfood-wise, it really depends on what you want. In-n-Out is a chain, but they are not like the usual chain----food is made fresh at each location. Kids love it too. My suggestion (off the secret menu)--a Double Double Animal Style with well-done fries. There is one on Brookhurst in Anaheim and one on Harbor Bl. in Fullerton, both less than a few miles from D'Land. 
For a more upscale burger experience there is the Catch in anaheim, a new location for an old restaurant. They are pretty much walking distance from the Anaheim Metrolink Station (the train station is on the east side of the stadium parking lot and the Catch is on the west side of the parking lot. Might be fun to go to Phillipe's for lunch and the Catch for dinner. They are more upscale but I don't see any reason why your daughter wouldn't enjoy the liveliness. They also have burgers and sandwiches but those are primarily at lunch, so if that's what you are looking for maybe it's another day's visit for lunch. They even have a Primanti Bros. style sandwich! There are half a dozen different burgers on the menu. I can highly vouch for their food---it's delicious.
Near the In-n-Out in Anaheim is an area known as "Little Arabia". Not far awayon the way to and from Disneyland, are two of my favorite place. On Ball Road, there is a strip mall that caters to a Middle Eastern clientele. Stop first at Zankou chicken, for the best rotisserie chicken you've ever had. Make sure you try the garlic sauce! Their shwarma is also delicious. They have the fast-food style ordering----place and pickup at the counter----but the food is definitely not fast food. Well worth a try. Once you are almost stuffed, walk next door to Sarkis Pastry. They have many different types of baklava as well as enough other delicious sweet items to keep your daughter happy. From there, it's less than 10 minutes back to Disneyland. 
One other nearby place I can highly recommend is Johnny Reb's. It's allso less than 10 minutes from the Park. They are definitely Roadfood----it's a Southern Roadhouse. Very kid friendly and fun. Food is really good and they serve breakfast lunch and dinner. My favorites are the chicken fried steak, fried catfish and the smoked ribs. The greens and hush puppies are outstanding and beans excellent. They also will give you seconds on the sides if you ask. If by any chance it's near your daughter's birthday, let them know----so much the better. My daughter still loves to go there for her birthday!
Finally, if you do want another burger place that has some Mexican items, there is Varsity Burgers of Anaheim. Better than average burgers with some Mexican specialties. Worth trying if you have the time, but the other places I've listed are my first choices. 
If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. I'll see what I can do do help suggest. And if you decide you have the time, I'd be happy to join you at one of the places----I'm only about 20 minutes from Disneyland. Enjoy!
Ed

http://www.metrolinktrains.com/

In-N-Out Burger
600 S. Brookhurst
ANAHEIM, CA 92804
www.in-n-out.com

The Catch at Anaheim
2100 E. Katella Ave. 
Anaheim, CA 92806
714-935-0101
www.catchanaheim.com

Zankou Chicken
2424 W. Ball Rd. #S & T
Anaheim, 92804
(714) 229.2060 
www.zankouchicken.com

Sarkis Pastry
2424 Ball Rd.
Anaheim, CA 92804
1-714-995-6663
www.sarkispastry.com

Johnny Reb's Southern Roadhouse
2940 East Chapman Avenue
Orange, CA 92869-3704
(714) 633-3369
www.johnnyrebs.com

Varsity Burgers of Anaheim
600 west lincoln ave
Anaheim, CA 92805
714-956-2772
www.varsityburgers.com

Philippe The Original
1001 N. Alameda St.
Los Angeles, CA 90012
(213) 628-3781
www.philippes.com/

Michael Hoffman
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help - Tue, 03/29/11 7:04 PM
Is this a great place, or what? So much information and help being offered.

mar52
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help - Tue, 03/29/11 7:11 PM
Johnny Reb's  That's a great suggestion for barbecue. I've driven to the Long Beach location and can say that I really enjoyed it.

Zankou is also great.  Can't beat that garlic sauce.  Be sure to eat all of your turnip pickles.

Our rail system is great if it's around the areas where you are going.  I've never been able to use it.  

Michael Hoffman
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help - Tue, 03/29/11 7:25 PM
I'll bet you say that about all the rails.

mar52
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help - Tue, 03/29/11 7:26 PM
Only the parallel sort.

pnwchef
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help - Tue, 03/29/11 8:07 PM
EdSails, I could not have asked for better choices of Restaurants. Zankau, is right up my alley of foods I love, If I take my wife there the first night, I guarantee she will want a return visit. The pastry shop next door sounds good, My little girl was asking me about Baklava, It was talked about in a book she was reading, I told her I would take her for some soon. I always need to plan these out, some times the day gets away from us, when a 10 year old is not wanting to miss anything at the park. Thanks for the help, I respect your picks, opinions, and reviews from your posts.............PNWC

EdSails
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help - Tue, 03/29/11 8:11 PM
At least for Phillipe's and that section of downtown, it's very convenient. I used to use it back in my USC days and the train was a nice ride. Walk out the front door of the station, cross the street and you're in Phillipe's. Walk another few feet and you're at CBS Seafood (good Hong Kong style dim sum, served off the carts and very reasonable). A few more blocks and you're in Olvera Street, the site of the beginning of Los Angeles and a tourist mecca fore years, albeit with overpriced margaritas and Mexican food and tacky souvenirs. Fun place for kids though! Depending on when you go to Olvera Street, they will have Mexican Mariachi music, dancers and sometimes pinatas for the kids. Depending on the train schedule and your time, doing all three is feasible in a morning and afternoon. Back on the train before dark and you've seen a lot in one day.

CBS Seafood
700 North Spring Street
Los Angeles, CA 90012-2824
(213) 617-2323

Olvera Street
845 N Alameda St,
Los Angeles, California 90012
(213) 628-1274 ‎
www.olverastreet.com

EdSails
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help - Tue, 03/29/11 8:19 PM
Thanks, PNWC. On the days when it's too busy to leave, it's nice to take the Monorail to Downtown Disney. Right at the monorail station are House of Blues, Brennan's Jazz Kitchen and the Jazz Kitchen Express. All are family friendly and offer the chance to have something different than just the park food. Besides, the monorail is an ideal ride when the adults need a breather and the kid still wants a ride!

wanderingjew
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help - Tue, 03/29/11 8:46 PM
Ed's the man when it comes to finding great Roadfood in the LA area! 

I remember Elise T telling me about Zankou Chicken and insisting that I had to go when I visited 2 years ago (you remember, Mar- yes?).

It was good but I guess I was expecting something unique- We have a big Armenian population here in Rhode Island and I guess I really didn't know what to expect but what I got is exactly what they serve at the Armenian Church Festivals they have here right down to the garlic stuff they serve with the chicken.

stricken_detective
  • Total Posts : 2330
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help - Wed, 03/30/11 1:11 AM
What Ed Sails said. 100% 

Except the chicken dinner @ Knott's Berry Farm is so good, I'd fly out there just for that, and the berry punch. My God. The. Berry. Punch.

EdSails
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help - Wed, 03/30/11 1:45 AM
My God, Stricken Detective, you're right. I completely forgot Knotts for some reason-----and the fried chicken and chicken fried steak there is awesome. Again, PNWChef, it's probably less than 20 minutes from your hotel and they may even have a shuttle going there. The only problem I forsee is that your daughter might want to go into the park! The restaurant itself is located on Knotts Berry Farm property, but it's accessible without having to enter the park and pay park admission. BTW, your daughter and wife will love walking through the shops next to the restaurant and it's a hoot that one of the roller coasters goes directly over the restaurant's parking area. The waitstaff dress like when Mrs. Walter Knott first opened the place in the 30's and the Boysenberry Pie is still the best!

http://www.knotts.com/pub...e/mrs_knotts.cfm 

Mrs. Knott's Chicken Restaurant
8039 Beach Boulevard
Buena Park, CA 90620 
(714) 220-5200

pnwchef
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help - Wed, 03/30/11 8:46 AM
I agree, Mar posted about the Chicken at Knotts in the second post, it's pretty hard to get one by Mar. I figure Downtown Disney will play a roll for eating because of the convenience. We are staying across the street from the main gate so the little one could do all the drawing classes in California Adventure. I'm not worried about her wanting to get into Knottsberry farm for the rides, she has a weeks pass for Disney, that should keep her amused. Thanks to all for the help, this should keep up in a good selection of restaurants for the week. You Guys and Gals are wealth of information for quality and fun food choices.....................PNWC

P.S. Ed ???? whats on a Double Double Animal at In N Out Burger and why extra crisp fries, are they a bit under done because of being fresh cut, or is it a personal favorite way of eating fries.................
<message edited by PNWCHEF on Wed, 03/30/11 9:48 AM>

chewingthefat
  • Total Posts : 6093
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help - Wed, 03/30/11 11:28 AM
PNWCHEF, I read a 5 Guys is opening up a day before you get to Disneyland, and right nevt to where you're staying... now you don't have to waste time visiting all the other places mentioned...damn you lead a charmed life!

Michael Hoffman
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help - Wed, 03/30/11 11:44 AM
Wow! A Five Guys.

pnwchef
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help - Wed, 03/30/11 11:46 AM
chewingthefat

PNWCHEF, I read a 5 Guys is opening up a day before you get to Disneyland, and right nevt to where you're staying... now you don't have to waste time visiting all the other places mentioned...damn you lead a charmed life!

Chewy, I can order from my computer, open my lanai door and have them throw it up to me, I now need to figure out the beer situation............I hope your right.................I never drink and walk............PNWC
I just knew Michael would be excited !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
<message edited by PNWCHEF on Wed, 03/30/11 11:47 AM>

mar52
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help - Wed, 03/30/11 12:58 PM
Knott's is a place that I always take out of towners if they'd like.  Have the rhubarb as a side dish.  It's delicious and NOT sour!

If there and you can't buy Knott's jams and jellies in your local grocery stores the boysenberry (seedless is my preference) and blackberry are fantastic.  (Mr. Knott's had a hand in developing the boysenberry)  Remember to have them wrap for travel and be sure to pack the jars in the luggage that you will be checking.

I have a year's pass to the Disney properties.  The restaurants in California Adventure are surprisingly not bad.  You can even get a beer in California Adverture while there is no alcohol served at Disneyland.

In Disneyland take a pass on almost everything except for maybe a hot fudge sundae while watching a fun performance in the Golden Horseshoe in Frontierland.  It's a great live show and a place to rest your feet!  The pineapple whip at the Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Room is delicious and the show is also worth the wait.

The last time there I ate at the New Orleans inspired restaurant in Downtown Disney.  It was fair with small portions.  The other places in Downtown Disney are basically chains.

Most important tip while at the Disney properties:  Take the monorail between the two properties to save your tired feet!  One more... to rest you can get on the train and ride around and around Disneyland and get off at the land that you want.  You don't have to walk!  (Is my age showing?)  You can also ride the monorail around and around and even get off in the Disneyland Hotel where you might find transportation to other venues.

However you get around and whatever you end up doing, I hope to get to share a little time with you and your family.  I'd love to meet all of you.

mar52
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help - Wed, 03/30/11 1:43 PM
One more warning!!!

Not food related, but...

In California Adventure there is a raft sort of ride in round shaped rafts.  It's a water ride.  There is a 110%chance that you'll be drenched.  Buy the cheap slickers in the gift shop prior to riding.

Also, if you're prone to car or air sickness....

I was seated backwards in this ride and it ruined the next hour for me.  Try to sit facing forward.

Seems that Space Mountain also does the same thing to me.

I'm a whimp.

mar52
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help - Wed, 03/30/11 1:49 PM
I'm obviously bored today with too much time on my hands.

Animal style and other "secret" In 'n Out menu items here:

http://www.badmouth.net/in-n-outs-secret-menu/

pnwchef
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help - Wed, 03/30/11 2:21 PM
Mar, I went on the raft ride in Florida, it was hot so it was ok. I don't think it's all that hot in California right now is it ????? We only do the rides Mollie wants to do now, I'm long past being excited about the rides. I guess I still like the teacups and Dumbo, but that when my buddies aren't watching.....................

pnwchef
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help - Wed, 03/30/11 2:32 PM
mar52

I'm obviously bored today with too much time on my hands.

Animal style and other "secret" In 'n Out menu items here:

Great info, I have my order ready........2x2 animal style extra done fries, rootbeer float.....Thanks Mar................PNWC..........p.s. a few more days I could answer your PM..not easy being the new guy..........also, out of Respect for you we are staying at Ho-Jo's

mar52
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help - Wed, 03/30/11 2:33 PM
You do the teacups?  I know just by looking at them that they are on my DO NOT DO list.  I do the wussy rides.

Yesterday it was in the 60s.  Today it should be in the 80s and they're talking about the 90s for tomorrow.
Who knows what it will be like in a week! 

You can always remove layers of clothing.

I found out on my last trip there that they have expensive ($7) lockers where you can store things like clothing and purchases.   They are hidden in Mainstreet Disneyland if needed.

Michael Hoffman
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help - Wed, 03/30/11 3:51 PM
Sorry about your lousy weather out there in La La Land. Here it's snowing and I have about an inch so far. Gotta go get the cross-country skis out again.

My woods are lovely, white, not deep ... with apologies to Robert Frost
<message edited by Michael Hoffman on Wed, 03/30/11 3:53 PM>

EdSails
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help - Thu, 03/31/11 1:23 AM
PNWC,
If you go to Wal Mart they have those rain ponchos for I believe 88 cents each. As Mar said, they are a wise investment. The pack is about the size of a business card and not much thicker so it's easy to throw in a pocket. They really saved me on my last cruise!
Thanks Marlene for directing him to the secret menu. If you're going to order at In-n-Out, you gotta get the right stuff! Yes, that is personal preference---I just like fries with real crispy exteriors. And Animal style adds some nice layers of flavor. 
I guess I'm still crazy about the fast rides. My favorites are California Screamin', the Matterhorn and Space Mountain. I am not sure of the status of my other favorite, Soaring Over California----I thought I read something about them closing it to make some changes. I think that info is probably on Disney's website.
If the weather holds it should be in the 60's and 70's during the days and down in the 50's at night. I know you've got snow, Michael----but the 50's seems cold to me these days! Ho-Jo's is actually a nice place and a great location---I've had friends stay there before. You probably could always run back there for jackets if you don't want to use the lockers-----it's not too far.
I've been wanting to rendezvous with Marlene and meet her so if you decide to do a meal out and she can meet up with you I'd love to join you too. If you set it up with her and it works, I'm just 20 minutes from the Park. It would be nice to meet you and your family. I stopped going myself to the Park a while ago-----my daughter was a "cast member" for 3 years and I was there practically every few weeks for that time. It was enough to hold me for a while!

pnwchef
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help - Thu, 03/31/11 9:23 AM
Quote....WJ
It was good but I guess I was expecting something unique- We have a big Armenian population here in Rhode Island and I guess I really didn't know what to expect but what I got is exactly what they serve at the Armenian Church Festivals they have here right down to the garlic stuff they serve with the chicken.

From PNWC:
Thats the thing, for us who don't have this kind of access to different kinds of foods, it is Unique. I read a few reviews on Yelp, some people didn't like this place because it was a walk up, fast food looking kind of place. I love these kinds of places, I look for good, Unique food choices and not ambience. I would take a great food item and eat it sitting on the curb. The area we live in Washington doesn't offer the diverse foods found in California. Kantou chicken would be a real treat for my wife and myself, for these reasons. ..............PNWC

pnwchef
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help - Thu, 03/31/11 9:32 AM
EdSails, we will keep in touch the early part of next week. The menu at KanKou has wraps and Chicken dinner's ???? are you better off getting the Chicken dinner with the Garlic sauce, or are the wraps the way to go. If figure the Garlic sauce is like Tzakziki sauce without the cucumbers, is that about right ???????????  Thanks for the help ........PNWC

wanderingjew
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help - Thu, 03/31/11 9:55 AM
PNWCHEF

If figure the Garlic sauce is like Tzakziki sauce without the cucumbers, is that about right ???????????  Thanks for the help ........PNWC

If I can recall- the sauce is served on the side in a container. It has a semi solid consistency- almost like cream cheese. I was expecting more or less an olive oil, garlic rosemary concoction, so when I saw what I was served, it  was all very familiar to me

pnwchef
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help - Thu, 03/31/11 10:49 AM
wanderingjew

PNWCHEF

If figure the Garlic sauce is like Tzakziki sauce without the cucumbers, is that about right ???????????  Thanks for the help ........PNWC

If I can recall- the sauce is served on the side in a container. It has a semi solid consistency- almost like cream cheese. I was expecting more or less an olive oil, garlic rosemary concoction, so when I saw what I was served, it  was all very familiar to me

WJ, I don't think I ever had a sauce like the one you described. Everyone one brags about the sauce, that's good enough for me............I saw on the news this week about food dye in foods affecting kids with ADHD, I will be putting my little girl on natural juices, so it looks like California has an abundance of Juice Bars............Thanks PNWC

mar52
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help - Thu, 03/31/11 12:19 PM
That garlic sauce/spread is excellent.  I've heard it's made with potatoes.  I'd go with the chicken because I think that the wrap takes away from the flavor.

EdSails, this is a perfect time to meet up.  It should be fun.

Here's a copycat recipe from food.com

http://www.food.com/recip...c-sauce-copycat-199352

EdSails
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help - Thu, 03/31/11 1:14 PM
Zankou has it available in wraps (pita bread), as plates of 1/2 and 1/4 chicken with side dishes and as chicken tarna and kebabs. 
Here's the menu.
http://www.zankouchicken....6_WLAMENU_Internet.pdf
Yes, it seems like an excellent place to meet!

pnwchef
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help - Thu, 03/31/11 2:44 PM
Is it passable this could be the white garlic sauce ???????
THis from a source off another post:
It seems everyone is confused about this sidedish. We have something like that in Cyprus which comes as a dip with kebabs (grilled meat), and also at taverns when you drink. It might be that.
Mix some tahini (sesame paste) with lemon juice. Add a little tepid water to make it a smooth and whitish paste. Add as much crushed garlic as you like, and salt to taste. Decorate it with freshly chopped parsley. The amount of lemon juice depends on your palate, and the amount of water is decided by the smoothness and thickness of the dip. Some like it thick, some like it softer.
Mar and Ed, I bet we could come up with what this sauce is made with....................PNWC

mar52
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help - Thu, 03/31/11 3:07 PM
No tahini anywhere near it.  It's almost a clear white.  Looking forward to hearing your take on it.

Off to my CPA now.  YIKES!

EdSails
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help - Thu, 03/31/11 5:31 PM
That recipe you posted sounds just about right, Marlene. There's definitely no tahini taste to it. 

pnwchef
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help - Fri, 04/1/11 3:42 PM
Hey Mar & EdSails.....My wife told my Son and the IN N Out burger in LA, the first thing he said was, wait until I get there on Thursday, he wants to go. You can see by this post what  a class act we are, It's like the Clampetts moving to Beverly Hills................

EdSails
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help - Fri, 04/1/11 5:13 PM
Well if you prefer I can see if there's a place around D'Land that serves possum stew.....

pnwchef
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help - Fri, 04/1/11 5:52 PM
Going to need my Davy Crockett Raccoon Tail Hat for that good looking stew..........

EdSails
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help - Sat, 04/2/11 1:53 PM
that'll be easy. They sell them in the shops in Frontierland!

wanderingjew
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help - Sat, 04/2/11 2:25 PM
PNW Chef-

You know, I hate to recommend places I've never been to, but if you can't make it to Juices Fountain in Hollywood (an easy light rail ride from downtown LA) , I was looking at urbanspoon.com and with a 93 % approval rating
http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/20/241252/restaurant/OC/Cancun-Juice-Anaheim

And a four star approval rating on yelp
http://www.yelp.com/biz/cancun-juice-anaheim#query:cancun%20juice

This place seems promising
http://www.cancunjuice.net./

<message edited by wanderingjew on Sat, 04/2/11 2:30 PM>

EdSails
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help - Sat, 04/2/11 3:55 PM
It does look promising, will have to check it out.

pnwchef
Re:Disneyland LA Restaurant Help - Sat, 04/2/11 4:40 PM
wanderingjew

PNW Chef-

You know, I hate to recommend places I've never been to, but if you can't make it to Juices Fountain in Hollywood (an easy light rail ride from downtown LA) , I was looking at urbanspoon.com and with a 93 % approval rating

And a four star approval rating on yelp

This place seems promising

The Tortas look real good, It looks like they have a great detail toward Natural........Thats a good thing....................Thanks WJ................PNWC

Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 60 of 164