Just moved to Charlotte, NC we need to know the must eat restaurants in the area?

remsleep
  • Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 0
Just moved to Charlotte, NC we need to know the must eat restaurants in the area? - Wed, 03/30/11 11:18 AM
We just moved to Charlotte, We have yet to find a must eat restaurant. We have found a few good ones.  But we have family, friends  that are coming to visit just about every other week and need the great local spots to take them. I was expecting better barbecue in this area and have yet to find the spot. Looking for all the not to miss Charlotte, NC restaurants. Thank you

Littleman
  • Total Posts : 590
Re:Just moved to Charlotte, NC we need to know the must eat restaurants in the area? - Wed, 03/30/11 1:24 PM
Beef and Bottle has good steaks.  brooks and Carmel's are both nice for lunch. Jake's is nice. 
Beef and Bottle @ 4538 South Boulevard, Charlotte, NC 704 - 523 - 9977.
http://www.beefandbottle.com/
Brooks Sandwich House @ 129 West Trade St., Charlotte, NC 704 - 373 - 0204.
Carmel's Restaurant and Bar @ 1 Page Avenue, Asheville, NC 828 - 252 - 8730.
http://www.carmelsofasheville.com/
Jake's Good Eats @ 12721 Albemarle Rd., Charlotte, NC 704 - 545 - 4741. http://jakesgoodeats.com/

Heartbreaksoup
  • Total Posts : 407
Re:Just moved to Charlotte, NC we need to know the must eat restaurants in the area? - Wed, 03/30/11 4:00 PM
The Bar-B-Q King Drive-In is pretty good, but my favorite Charlotte restaurant that I've found, so far, is Bill Spoon's.  I'm looking forward to returning soon and trying more!

eagle6894
  • Total Posts : 44
Re:Just moved to Charlotte, NC we need to know the must eat restaurants in the area? - Fri, 04/1/11 1:39 PM
My votes  area
Brooks Sandwhich Shop...(Burgers & Hotdogs)
Marias...South Blvd. (Mexican)
The Chicken Box...(Soul Food)
Simmons Soul Food...(Soul Food)
Pinky's Westside Grills...(Burgers & Sandwichs)
Cajun Queen...(Cajun)
Lugis Pizza
Angry Ales
Bubba's BBQ

Just to name a few of our favorites

napolitanosmkt
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:Just moved to Charlotte, NC we need to know the must eat restaurants in the area? - Fri, 04/1/11 2:55 PM
the best bbq i have found is the "Rock Store" on old monroe rd in stallings,nc. the pulled pork is amazing!

Nancypalooza
  • Total Posts : 3778
Re:Just moved to Charlotte, NC we need to know the must eat restaurants in the area? - Sun, 04/3/11 10:00 PM
You didn't ask about this category but whenever we have to use the Charlotte airport these days, we schedule in extra time for Vietnamese at Lang Van (3019 Shamrock Dr) because we just don't have anything that good nearby.  The buns (vermicelli salads) are amazing, I've had several of the stir fry dishes, great spring and summer rolls, and the delight of an almost comical degree of attention to your beverage glasses.  Everybody there is super lovely.

If I'm running around in Charlotte and need a snack, I go to a location of Showmars and get the paper tray side order of flounder filets.  Some of their food (I'm thinking of the fries) is just meh, and there is the wonderful weirdness of their burger and fish sandwiches served in pita breads, but a tea and some fish from Showmars will set you right.  

A big old vegetable plate from Lupie's.  Folks swear by the chili, and it's fine, but it's a little spicy for me.  I am a wimp.

You shouldn't accept defeat about the barbecue until you've tried 521 BBQ in Indian Land, SC (which is near Rock Hill and not a bad drive for a weekend afternoon).  I haven't had it myself but Chris Ayers swears by it and I know he's not a pushover about barbecue.  So if you'll accept a third-hand recommendation, there you go.  Enjoy your time in Charlotte!

ayersian
  • Total Posts : 897
Re:Just moved to Charlotte, NC we need to know the must eat restaurants in the area? - Mon, 04/4/11 2:43 PM
remsleep

We just moved to Charlotte, We have yet to find a must eat restaurant. We have found a few good ones.  But we have family, friends  that are coming to visit just about every other week and need the great local spots to take them. I was expecting better barbecue in this area and have yet to find the spot. Looking for all the not to miss Charlotte, NC restaurants. Thank you

Remsleep, thanks for posting here and welcome to the Queen City!  Would you tell us what RF in particular (burgers, pizza, dogs, etc.) that you like?  That way, I can fine-tune my recs for you.  Also, what type of BBQ do you like?  For example, if you think Texas brisket is the be-all, end-all of 'Q, then no one can sway you with Carolina BBQ, even from the state's finest parlors.  Note that Carolina BBQ is chopped pork, usually finished in the kitchen with a vinegar-based sauce.  I swear by it but have argued with enough people to know that it's not for every palate.  If you don't care for Bill Spoon's on South Blvd. or 521 BBQ in Indian Land, then I probably can't help you in that way.  Have you checked out all 10 Charlotte reviews on the site?  Price's has great fried chicken, Penguin has great burgers, Lupie's has great sides, et al.

Then again, are you simply looking for good restaurant recs that're not necessarily under the RF umbrella?  I second the Beef & Bottle -- been meaning to review that place for years!  Vic the Chili Man is downtown for great hot dogs, and Green's Lunch is a classic spot for dogs, too.  Over in Monroe, there's La Taqueria Unica for super Mexican food (Charlotte has a great deal of Mexican choices, but few are as authentic as Unica).  Monroe also has Big Bob Gibson's BBQ from Alabama, and Outlaw BBQ Shack has won awards for their ribs, though I haven't tried them.  And thanks to Nancypalooza's plug, that Vietnamese place is on my radar!    Chris

HarryDunn
  • Total Posts : 7
Re:Just moved to Charlotte, NC we need to know the must eat restaurants in the area? - Sat, 07/21/12 7:39 PM
Remsleep is right....Prices and the Penguin are super-Charlotte landmarks and you MUST get fried pickles at the Penguin.  Alexander Michael's (not as pretentious as it sounds) is a gem hidden in 4th Ward neighborhood uptown.  I'd recommend the crawfish burritos and you'll have every beer in the world to choose from.