Fourna Salad

I'm seriously thinking of adding Tuna Salad/sandwiches/subs to my menu. My tuna salad will be twice as good as anyone elses, hence the name fourna. I use solid white albacore in olive oil, a little Hellmans, fine chopped celery,, finely chopped onions, dill relish, Italian dressing mixed in, and capers. I'll put this on a bed of greens or an Amaroso roll with Iceburg lettice and tomatoes. What adjustments would you make to this ?
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:Fourna Salad 2011/03/30 13:27:55
I love that you are always thinking, ctf! In my opinion, I would skip the italian dressing. But than again, I havent tasted your fare....
pnwchef
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Fourna Salad 2011/03/30 13:57:03
Sounds like Umami, sour, sweet, salty, Bitter ??? make the greens bitter and tomatoes for the Umami....looks like your idea is very deep in thought.................
joerogo
Filet Mignon
Re:Fourna Salad 2011/03/30 14:34:43
chewingthefat, Simplicity is where it's at.

Try using a very good EVOO, some chopped celery and a splash of balsamic vinegar.  Then, if you think it needs anything else, add the ingredients one at a time.  A small amount of white beans is a favorite of mine.  Or mash up some garbanzo's.  

mar52
Sirloin
Re:Fourna Salad 2011/03/30 14:55:13
Fourna?  

I perfectly understand your implication but my mind is a naughty thing.

You should add Kalamata olives and a little lemon juice and oregano while omitting the capers as Fourna is a place in Greece.  
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Fourna Salad 2011/03/30 14:56:00
Or leave it as it is as it sounds great.  
post edited by mar52 - 2011/03/30 14:57:37
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Fourna Salad 2011/03/30 15:25:37
Ditch the celery, the lettuce and the tomato, and add some thinly sliced sharp provolone.
fishtaco
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Fourna Salad 2011/03/30 15:27:23
Point Loma Seafood in San Diego, made from fresh not canned tuna. That is a serious tuna fish sandwiich.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Fourna Salad 2011/03/30 15:28:12
After reading all the Tuna Salad recipes on RF and other places, I think I'll write a cookbook - "101 Ways to Screw Up Tuna Salad"!!  " />" />
post edited by Foodbme - 2011/03/30 15:29:34
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Fourna Salad 2011/03/30 15:45:00
Why do people say tuna fish? I've never heard anyone say sardine fish  or salmon fish or grouper fish or haddock fish.
post edited by Michael Hoffman - 2011/03/30 15:46:01
DawnT
Re:Fourna Salad 2011/03/30 16:09:53
Drop the Albacore and go with foodservice Skipjack in oil. It's much cheaper and tastes better. The Albacore has a mercury stigma for young children who would be more likely to order tuna. Keep your onion proportion very low and softened in oil. White pepper instead of black. Heavy mayo instead of stock Helmann's. small amount of Lemon juice or w/ grated zest if you want more lemon kick, not extra juice. Hold the dill relish. Use sweet relish as it's what most people expect nowadays. If you opt for a dill taste use fresh chopped. Consider adding hard boiled eggs or capers. If you have a vertical hobart disc chopper, finely slice the celery instead. Oh yeah, if you don't have a tuna press for the sink, you'll wish you did. I used to make up 1/2 pans of Tuna daily during the 70's for the next day. Still make a 66oz can every Sat. night for Sunday's kids lunch.
Re:Fourna Salad 2011/03/30 17:50:58
This is just a thought, what do you think about a little pinch of Anchovy paste mixed in?
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Fourna Salad 2011/03/30 18:29:00
Never mix your fishes.  
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Fourna Salad 2011/03/30 18:35:29
Anchovy paste goes with everything. I like it in my Wheaties and my Rice Krispies.

Snap, Crackle and Yum! 
DawnT
Re:Fourna Salad 2011/03/30 18:55:59
mar52
Never mix your fishes.  

Good advise. If you add a small amount as in ceasar dressing it would be lost under the tuna. Enough to break through and you have a problem. It will make the tuna taste "fishy". Folks have judged tuna with the wivestale metric of being bad or spoiled if it tastes excessively fishy for a long time. Capers would be a better bet. Anchovy taste is extremely polar. Those who like it love it and those that don't hate it passionately. You're not going to find many women that appreciate the taste either unless they grew up with it. In my experience tuna salad is primarly a kid food. I don't get many adults asking for tuna and again, it's more often younger men and kids.
MellowRoast
Re:Fourna Salad 2011/03/30 19:44:26
Chewy, I think your recipe sounds right on target, but I'm not sure about the Italian dressing.  However, if it works, it works.  If the dressing doesn't overpower the taste of the tuna (tuna fish), I'd say go for it.
Re:Fourna Salad 2011/03/30 20:21:30
DawnT

mar52
Never mix your fishes.  

Good advise. If you add a small amount as in ceasar dressing it would be lost under the tuna. Enough to break through and you have a problem. It will make the tuna taste "fishy". Folks have judged tuna with the wivestale metric of being bad or spoiled if it tastes excessively fishy for a long time. Capers would be a better bet. Anchovy taste is extremely polar. Those who like it love it and those that don't hate it passionately. You're not going to find many women that appreciate the taste either unless they grew up with it. In my experience tuna salad is primarly a kid food. I don't get many adults asking for tuna and again, it's more often younger men and kids.

Dawn, do you know. what is the halfway point shelflife of tuna salad, I don't want to come anywhere near spoilage. walk in cooler @ 34-38 temp.
pnwchef
Re:Fourna Salad 2011/03/30 20:27:14
When it smells like Anchovies, toss it
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Fourna Salad 2011/03/30 20:52:30
Ho Ho Ho!  
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:Fourna Salad 2011/03/30 22:10:30
I second the anchovy paste.....
DawnT
Re:Fourna Salad 2011/03/30 22:13:55
Chewie, I PM'd you.
baileysoriginal
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Fourna Salad 2011/03/30 22:48:46
Michael Hoffman

Why do people say tuna fish? I've never heard anyone say sardine fish  or salmon fish or grouper fish or haddock fish.

I'm assuming for the same reason they say hamburger meat - or deer meat.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Fourna Salad 2011/03/31 00:10:07
baileysoriginal

Michael Hoffman

I'm assuming for the same reason they say hamburger meat - or deer meat.

I don't believe I've ever heard anyone use the term hamburger meat, and as for deer, well, there's deer hide, deer antler, but the meat is called venison.
baileysoriginal
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Fourna Salad 2011/03/31 23:30:47
Here in the wilds of of the Midsouth you'll hear the term hamburger meat often but when deer season arrives and the harvesting begins you'll not hear the word "venison" from anyone:  it's Deer Meat.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Fourna Salad 2011/04/01 09:40:51
baileysoriginal

Here in the wilds of of the Midsouth you'll hear the term hamburger meat often but when deer season arrives and the harvesting begins you'll not hear the word "venison" from anyone:  it's Deer Meat.

Heck, in the wilds of New England, where I grew up we just called it chop meat. And I never hunt for deer meat. I always hunt for venison, whether here in Ohio, in Alabama, West Virginia, Kentucky, Pennsylvania, Texas -- wherever there are deer.
DawnT
Re:Fourna Salad 2011/04/01 12:12:21
I thought this thread was about Chewie's tuna salad?
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Fourna Salad 2011/04/01 12:31:13
Does thread drift bother you all that much?
DawnT
Re:Fourna Salad 2011/04/01 12:41:22
You guys are supposed to be helping out Chewie with his tuna meat sandwiches.
6star
Filet Mignon
Re:Fourna Salad 2011/04/01 12:52:11
DawnT

You guys are supposed to be helping out Chewie with his tuna meat sandwiches.

Is that similar to hamburger fish or deer fish?
pnwchef
Re:Fourna Salad 2011/04/01 13:19:35
What about, Lobster meat, shrimp meat, clam meat, Crab meat, Roadfood meet....Michael I used to live across the street from a market in BPT, we always ordered the ground hamburger as  "Chop meat" ...............
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Fourna Salad 2011/04/01 13:45:23
I wonder if it's just geographical Connecticut. My wife was from Bridgeport and she grew up saying chop meat, too.

But, ending thread drift, I must warn CTF not to use chop meat or venison in his fourna salad sandwich.
post edited by Michael Hoffman - 2011/04/01 13:55:23
DawnT
Re:Fourna Salad 2011/04/01 14:03:15
Could we just agree to tuna flesh sandwich and get back to the core of the thread? We wouldn't be discussing a beef salad sandwich would we?

So much more to opine on tuna. Mustard addition/types, Sour Cream, green onion, chopped or roasted pepper, parsely, garlic, even the addition of egg. There's lots of ways to screw up tuna that we haven't even touched on.
pnwchef
Re:Fourna Salad 2011/04/01 15:22:04
Michael Hoffman

I wonder if it's just geographical Connecticut. My wife was from Bridgeport and she grew up saying chop meat, too.

But, ending thread drift, I must warn CTF not to use chop meat or venison in his fourna salad sandwich.

Michael, The Lady would grind the Chop meat right in front of me, and it was ruby red. We have come a long way in most areas in this world, but killing a few thousand cows a day in a meat packing plant and rushing the meat to market with no aging, doesn't account for a real good quality ending. ...............

Chewy, I think you have  a great idea with the Tuna Sub, I always go to a BBQ restaurant for a Tuna Sandwich. What day is Waffle day ???????????
Re:Fourna Salad 2011/04/01 17:30:46
PNWCHEF

Michael Hoffman

Michael, The Lady would grind the Chop meat right in front of me, and it was ruby red. We have come a long way in most areas in this world, but killing a few thousand cows a day in a meat packing plant and rushing the meat to market with no aging, doesn't account for a real good quality ending. ...............

Chewy, I think you have  a great idea with the Tuna Sub, I always go to a BBQ restaurant for a Tuna Sandwich. What day is Waffle day ???????????

PNWCHEF,same day as All you can eat spaghetti with matzoh balls, smoked of course!Michael, I just tried a tuna meat melt sandwich with venison gravy custard...talk about fantastic!
stricken_detective
Re:Fourna Salad 2011/04/03 19:43:10
I agree with the move from albacore. And I agree lots of kids order it.

Instead of anchovy paste, why not sprinkle the tuna itself with Worcestershire sauce before adding all the other junk to it? It has anchovies in it, but no one will know except you.

Then make sure you use mayo & maybe some onion. People like onion flavor, but rarely the texture, so how about onion powder?

I hate celery, but I chop up sliced water chestnuts & throw them in for some crunch.

Sometimes I put in garlic powder. Before I knew I could not have so much sodium, I would chop up sliced green olives & throw those in.

Have fun with it & remember no matter what you do, someone will complain. "But I wanted Miracle Whip..."   "It just isn't tuna salad without mini marshmallows!"  "I don't know why he didn't use scallions!" etc.

the ancient mariner
Filet Mignon
Re:Fourna Salad 2011/04/03 20:34:37
See what happens --Chewy's really nice Sam-itch now has deer meat, lobster meat, anchovy paste ,french dressing, and a partridge in a pear tree. Oy vey.
Like the tuna packed in oil.  Tastes mucho better.

Michael, I heard of Bluefish and Goldfish and Redfish and Devilfish.  

Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Fourna Salad 2011/04/03 20:41:12
the ancient mariner

And then there's the Religious Fish----The Monkfish!
And the Aerial Fish  --- The Flying Fish!

1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
Re:Fourna Salad 2011/04/03 21:07:19
DawnT

Could we just agree to tuna flesh sandwich and get back to the core of the thread? We wouldn't be discussing a beef salad sandwich would we?

So much more to opine on tuna. Mustard addition/types, Sour Cream, green onion, chopped or roasted pepper, parsely, garlic, even the addition of egg. There's lots of ways to screw up tuna that we haven't even touched on.

What's wrong with mustard, eggs and garlic powder?
Hits the spot more than anchovies.
And you forgot the cilantro for Mar.
post edited by bill voss - 2011/04/03 21:08:24
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Fourna Salad 2011/04/03 21:34:01
the ancient mariner

Right. And those are the non-taxonomic names of the fish species.
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:Fourna Salad 2011/04/03 22:40:10
I think you should open a catering company featuring the Fourna Salad. You could call it----oh, never mind.......
DawnT
Re:Fourna Salad 2011/04/03 22:49:40
Nothing at all Bill. Bottom line is what you're used to and know as Tuna
salad. I personally like a simple NY style with a mayo base. Just wanted to steer the thread back towards Chewy's query. he's looking for ideas, not a semantical quest.

What's wrong with mustard, eggs and garlic powder?
Hits the spot more than anchovies.
And you forgot the cilantro for Mar.

mar52
Sirloin
Re:Fourna Salad 2011/04/03 23:16:27
Hey!  and  Hey!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Fourna Salad 2011/04/03 23:59:40
I've heard that mar52 is a cilantro nut.
markdevis33
Junior Burger
Re:Fourna Salad 2011/06/27 02:06:32
First time hearing this!!! Would share my comment after trying this.