As Seen on TV cooking tools that SHOULD work

bartl
  • Total Posts : 1208
  • Reward points : 0
As Seen on TV cooking tools that SHOULD work - Thu, 03/31/11 4:37 PM
In order to make their price point, most "As Seen On TV" cooking tools are so poorly made that, no matter how good the basic concept or design, they don't work. Some are hard to fathom in the first place (like the egg-breaker, which, from all reports, is so hard to clean one wonders why anybody bothers. The "Perfect Pancake" only took a little bit of arithmetic to see why it is far from perfect; you can only make one pancake at a time. In practice, it didn't even do THAT. It was by trying to find out how long it took for each pancake, I discovered "Does It Work?" sites on the Internet (many local TV news shows have them; a good way to find them is to add a day, such as "does it work monday", "does it work tuesday", etc.)

But some kitchen gadgets would be very nice if they were well made. For example, there was that whiisk/tongs thing (5-in-1 tool or something like that), which would have been very nice if it could hold more than about 1/4 of an ounce. And there's a relatively new one, the "Chef's Basket", which is SUPPOSED to be a combination steamer, cooler, colander, etc. According the reports I read, it cannot hold even one or two potatoes. (BTW, NEVER order an "As Seen On TV" gadget from the phone number or the web; they try very hard to trick you into getting "free" extras with exorbitant shipping and handling charges. Websites often ask for your credit card number just so you can look at the item; I always use the "test" numbers provided by Master Card, Visa, AMEX, etc. for testing credit card acceptance systems).

So what "As Seen on TV" items have you seen which you would consider having if they came in a sturdy, more expensive version?

Bart

ConeyIslandLou
  • Total Posts : 737
Re:As Seen on TV cooking tools that SHOULD work - Thu, 03/31/11 5:08 PM
One of the few ASOTV items we have ever bought was the OveGlove - which has now 'graduated' into stores. The OveGlove is simple and WORKS - does what what is supposed, and we have given several as gifts. It is particularly usuable for grilling purposes.

chewingthefat
  • Total Posts : 6097
Re:As Seen on TV cooking tools that SHOULD work - Thu, 03/31/11 5:42 PM
The Ceramic knife. Heck I might be willing to try it as it is. $19.95, for 2 knives, 1 peeler, as many cheap knives I go thru here, why not. If I bought professional knives, they would be gone in a week.

6star
  • Total Posts : 4388
Re:As Seen on TV cooking tools that SHOULD work - Thu, 03/31/11 5:57 PM
ConeyIslandLou

One of the few ASOTV items we have ever bought was the OveGlove - which has now 'graduated' into stores. The OveGlove is simple and WORKS - does what what is supposed, and we have given several as gifts. It is particularly usuable for grilling purposes.

Did you know it now comes with silicone grip strips to make it even better?
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ove-Glove-Hot-Surface-Handler/10216942

ConeyIslandLou
  • Total Posts : 737
Re:As Seen on TV cooking tools that SHOULD work - Thu, 03/31/11 8:17 PM
6star

ConeyIslandLou

Did you know it now comes with silicone grip strips to make it even better?
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ove-Glove-Hot-Surface-Handler/10216942

Uh, yeah....have tow of those and two of the original 'bare' ones

DawnT
  • Total Posts : 1286
Re:As Seen on TV cooking tools that SHOULD work - Thu, 03/31/11 9:00 PM

The ceramic knives are not ASOTV inventions, they are cheap knock-offs of professional asian knives that are built very well. I've owned a Kyocera Nakiri knife for about 7 years and it's replaced my favored Santuko for vegetables. This wasn't a cheap knife and cost around $70USD when I bought it. Very well made and keeps a wicked edge w/o steeling.

BuddyRoadhouse
  • Total Posts : 4077
Re:As Seen on TV cooking tools that SHOULD work - Fri, 04/1/11 1:19 AM
I bought a couple of "ove gloves" too--although they're so overpriced I bought them one at a time, just to make sure the first one would work before I invested in a second one.  Turns out, they do the job quite nicely, but you could probably achieve the same end result (protecting your hands from being burnt by hot objects) by spending about ten bucks on a good pair of work gloves from your neighborhood hardware store.

"So why did you buy them in the first place if you're so smart," you're probably asking.  It was that darn professional chef on the commercial.  He looked good in those "ove-gloves" and I just had to have them.

Buddy

doggydaddy
  • Total Posts : 1847
Re:As Seen on TV cooking tools that SHOULD work - Fri, 04/1/11 5:35 AM

The metal steam basket cracks me up, they made these things years ago. There was one in my Granny's basement.  These baskets were used for canning in the past, you lowered and raised the jars into the water bath.  It is a new use for a old design.  It's is essentially a cheap metal basket using $.75 of material.
  The microwave Pasta Cooker cracks me up too. The only benefit that I see is that it keeps the kitchen cool.

mark

brisketboy
  • Total Posts : 1056
Re:As Seen on TV cooking tools that SHOULD work - Fri, 04/1/11 9:23 AM
The one that I got took in with was the gloves that had these rough projections all over the outside that were supposed to peel potatoes. HAH, what a bunch of crap. I almost got sucked into the Yoshi Blade thing too. You'd think after 63 years on the planet I would get it that you get what you pay for.

Phishmonger
  • Total Posts : 217
Re:As Seen on TV cooking tools that SHOULD work - Fri, 04/1/11 10:01 AM
Can't say enough about the quality of my Ove-Gloves. After leaving my original glove in the oven to dry it out (stupidly) and forgetting it there, I started the oven to re-heat the next day and burned the glove beyond use! Ordered two on the net from somewhere (perhaps Amazon) for a good price, and have been happy ever since.

mar52
  • Total Posts : 7599
Re:As Seen on TV cooking tools that SHOULD work - Fri, 04/1/11 12:04 PM
I love my Ove-Gloves.

A friend who fancies himself a chef swears by the the microwave pasta cooker.  I'll have to see it in action to believe it.

The Set it and forget it Ronteil Rotisserie does a great job, but I hate the clean up.  The only reason I have one is that I found it, brand new for $5 at a garage sale.  For five dollars the gamble was worth it.  By the way...  I've only used it twice.

ann peeples
  • Total Posts : 8317
Re:As Seen on TV cooking tools that SHOULD work - Fri, 04/1/11 12:22 PM
Have to echo everyone on the ove-glove.Received them for Christmas, and wish I had gotten them sooner.

DawnT
  • Total Posts : 1286
Re:As Seen on TV cooking tools that SHOULD work - Fri, 04/1/11 12:26 PM
What clean up? I have a thick, folded piece of run of foil that starts at the back floor, goes behind the elements, and the roof with a magnet holding it in place outside at the top. I also foil the drip pan. Cleanup is just the spit and door with an occasional replacement of the foil liner. I use mine weekly going on 5 or 6 years