Ralph and Lori at the 2011 New Orleans Roadfood Festival

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Double Cheeseburger
2011/04/01 00:03:37
As in 2010, we had planned to leave for New Orleans on a Wednesday, but failed to get to New Orleans that day.

This year, we were scheduled to get to New Orleans by flying United to Chicago, then Delta to New Orleans. When we arrived at the United checkin counter, the agent told us that the flight was delayed due to weather, so we would miss our Chicago connection. So she rescheduled us on a pair of USAirways flights, connecting through Washington DC. These flights actually were scheduled to arrive in New Orleans earlier than our original scheduled arrival, so we didn't mind this at all.

We boarded the plane for DC, and there we sat. First, we were delayed by the fallout of Pittsburgh's storms. I haven't checked whether the Pittsburgh area officially got tornadoes, but I know from the news that it certainly got funnel clouds. And after the storms left our area, they progressed towards Washington, so we then held off taking off because of uncertainty about whether we'd be able to land safely. We ended up waiting on the tarmac for two hours before the pilot took us back to the gate to give us a chance to stretch our legs. We then learned that the flight was cancelled.

USAirways rescheduled us again, but at that point, there were no flights available until Thursday afternoon. I asked the agent rescheduling us whether we were still good for our return flight on Sunday, since I feared that there might be mixups with the double change from United -> Delta to USAirways to a different USAirways flight. She assured me that everything was fine with our return flight. (This section ought to be accompanied with an ominous tremolo of organ music, but I didn't know that at the time.)

I do approve of a policy of not flying in tornadoes, but I nevertheless found it frustrating. At least this time, we didn't have any specific plans for the next morning in New Orleans. The frustration I felt most keenly was that I'd gotten a really superb parking place, much closer to the covered walkway to the terminal than I usually get, and I was disappointed to give it up.

So we returned home to sleep in our own bed.

We had plans for Thursday morning; we'd eat at some undiscovered Roadfoody place in the Pittsburgh area, do some shopping for new shoes, visit Half Price Books, and still arrive at a leisurely time for our flight. But instead, we slept late, took our time getting out the door, and concluded that we only had time to get to the airport without doing any of those other things—particularly since we wanted to get to the airport early enough to handle any other problems that might arise.

On the plane, we read USAirways' in-flight magazine, which featured an article on 15 best airport bites. This article mentioned Brookwood Farms BBQ in the Charlotte airport, which we've passed a few times in the past few months. This gave us the impetus to give it a try as we made our connection in Charlotte.

This plate shows pulled pork, fried okra, mac and cheese, hush puppies, and a fried pickle spear. We enjoyed the pulled pork quite a bit; it had a nice smoky flavor, and we liked the tomato-based Western-NC sauce. I also quite liked the hush puppies, which were nicely seasoned and had a nice balance of crisp exterior and tender interior. The fried okra was as good as fried okra normally is (Lori and I wouldn't give the same numerical rating to that quality level); the mac and cheese and the fried pickle spear were entirely adequate but not as good as instances that we've had elsewhere.

Ralph Melton
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Ralph and Lori at the 2011 New Orleans Roadfood Festival 2011/04/01 00:04:08
After finally arriving in New Orleans Thursday evening, we went in search of a late dinner to the Roadfood-recommended Tujague's (pronounced Two-jacks), New Orleans' second oldest restaurant.

Tujague's offers a five-course meal with a single choice, that of main course. There are four choices given, and chicken bon femme is always available if you know to ask for it.

The first course was shrimp remoulade. This is not the mayonnaise-based sauce that I've encountered under the name of remoulade elsewhere; this was a complex, brownish-red mixture of I-don't-know-what. It was spicy enough to be too spicy for Lori; I think I tasted cayenne and mustard in it, but those were only a small fraction of the whole flavor profile.

The second course was seafood gumbo. It was a very thin gumbo, unlike most gumbos I've encountered that it wasn't served with rice; it was mostly just broth with a few discs of spicy sausage and a crab body that I didn't extract the meat from. It too was too spicy for Lori, and I wasn't very pleased with it myself.

Things improved with the third course, beef brisket with creole sauce. The brisket was splendidly tender, falling into shreds at the touch of a fork. The sauce was much like a cocktail sauce.

For the main course, I ordered the chicken bon femme. "Chicken bon femme" translates as "good woman chicken", but what was not clear to me from the reviews I've read was that the good woman has an interest in a garlic farm. It was a layered dish. Layer one on the plate was a layer of salad greens. That was topped with four pieces of fried chicken. The chicken was almost hidden from view by a layer of housemade potato chips. Then the whole thing was topped with a double handful of chopped raw garlic and parsley - mostly garlic. I've had platters of nachos with less cheese than there was garlic atop these potato chips. I tried to keep the garlic on the chips and chicken as I ate them, but despite my attempts, enough garlic spilled off to pile up in drifts on the table. I was very conscious that Lori and I might be risking an unfortunate garlic imbalance, like the imprudent Stinking Rose incident on our honeymoon.
The chips didn't thrill me; they were decent, but a bit too greasy for me to enjoy eating them for long.
The fried chicken, however, was excellent: very juicy and flavorful, with an exceptional herby crispy skin. I really enjoyed it a lot.
By the end of the course, I could feel the garlic emanating from my whole body. But on the plus side, I felt totally proof against vampires.

Lori got a filet mignon, served with mashed potatoes and cabbage sauteed with onions. The filet was cooked with a sauce of butter and (cooked) garlic. I was surprised to find that I could clearly taste the garlic in the sauce even though I had eaten so much raw garlic from my plate; it gave me hope that we might avoid garlic imbalance catastrophe.

Dessert was banana bread pudding with caramel sauce. It was very good.

One last remark about Tujague's: the bar area has a huge mirror, probably 8'x16'. The history of Tujague's we read said that the mirror was brought from a restaurant in France. The thought of transporting such a huge mirror safely with 19th-century technology daunts me.

[font="verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; line-height: normal; font-size: small"]

EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:Ralph and Lori at the 2011 New Orleans Roadfood Festival 2011/04/01 00:19:37
Ralph, I'm looking forward to more on the trip. It's a nice report so far. Awesome that you went there for the Festival! 
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Ralph and Lori at the 2011 New Orleans Roadfood Festival 2011/04/01 08:19:00
Ralph, you two really don't have much luck getting back and forth to New Orleans, do you?  If you don't mind, could you tell the story of the Stinking Rose incident, that you alluded to?

I am very much looking forward to the rest of the report!
Greymo
Filet Mignon
Re:Ralph and Lori at the 2011 New Orleans Roadfood Festival 2011/04/01 08:32:09
Enjoyable report.  It also reminded me of why I no longer fly!
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:Ralph and Lori at the 2011 New Orleans Roadfood Festival 2011/04/01 09:14:28
Love the first part of the report. Looking forward to much more!
Re:Ralph and Lori at the 2011 New Orleans Roadfood Festival 2011/04/01 10:04:59
Are those big slices of garlic on the banana pudding?

Brad
Ralph Melton
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Ralph and Lori at the 2011 New Orleans Roadfood Festival 2011/04/01 13:49:55
buffetbuster
Ralph, you two really don't have much luck getting back and forth to New Orleans, do you?  If you don't mind, could you tell the story of the Stinking Rose incident, that you alluded to?

So far, we have not had good luck with our New Orleans travels. If it happens a third time, we'll definitely consider ourselves cursed there.

It's possible that the Stinking Rose story works better as an allusion than as a full story, but I'm happy to tell it:

In June of 2001, Lori and I went to San Francisco for a week. On that trip, I persuaded Lori to dine with me at the Stinking Rose. The Stinking Rose is a garlic theme restaurant; their slogan is "we season our garlic with food."
For an appetizer, we had bagna calda. I believe that the traditional form of bagna cauda involves tuna or anchovies seasoned with garlic, but the Stinking Rose's version was roasted garlic in olive oil seasoned with anchovies. I ate more of it than Lori.
For dinner, I had the Italian garlic meatloaf, which was polka-dotted with whole cloves of garlic. I forget what Lori chose, but it had what would normally be considered a generous amount of garlic - so it was probably a tenth the garlic of my entree.
For dessert, I tried the roasted garlic ice cream, which was actually pretty tasty. Lori, though, was not so bold.

So as you can see, we violated the Principle of Garlic Parity: if you and your sweetie eat the same amount of garlic, all is good; if one member of a couple eats a lot more garlic than the other, problems ensue.

The next day, I reeked of garlic. It was exuding from my pores. And there's no way to put this delicately: it made me flatulent. And the farts were horribly malodorous, reeking of garlic and brimstone. And we were taking a bus tour of wine country, so for most of the day we were sitting next to each other on the bus.

I am happy to have visited the restaurant, but it was definitely a mistake to do so on our honeymoon.
post edited by Ralph Melton - 2011/04/01 23:17:31
Ralph Melton
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Ralph and Lori at the 2011 New Orleans Roadfood Festival 2011/04/01 14:12:49
ScreamingChicken
 Are those big slices of garlic on the banana pudding?

Sliced almonds. I could imagine a roasted garlic bread pudding being pretty tasty, but I'm not sure it would be at its best with banana.
post edited by Ralph Melton - 2011/04/01 23:18:44
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:Ralph and Lori at the 2011 New Orleans Roadfood Festival 2011/04/01 14:15:11
I think NO has some sort of jinx for a lot of us, Ralph. You and Lori aren't the only ones. The first time I was "in" NO I was on a layover for 3 hours---just long enough to keep staring out of the airport window at the city I wanted to grab a bite at lunch in. It hurt, knowing I didn't have the time to actually go out in the city, eat and return to catch the next leg of my flight. The second time, I was driving from CA to AL with a friend and we hit NOLA around 3AM. I was able to grab a crawfish ettouffee hand pie at a gas station with a food counter just on the outskirts of NOLA. The next time, catching a plane at MSY, there wasn't enough time to see the city, only drive straight to the airport. And then there was the friend who panned a trip to NOLA for six of us friends. We'd already looked into flights and hotel for all of us for Mardi Gras when his small airplane her was delivering (he was a commercial pilot who specialized in aircraft delivery) vanished, oddly enough on pretty much the same leg of a flight and very near where Amelia Earhart disappeared. That took care of our group trip. Well, someday I hope to make it there. I'm glad you have!
susanll
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Ralph and Lori at the 2011 New Orleans Roadfood Festival 2011/04/01 14:22:41
Ralph Melton

buffetbuster

So far, we have not had good luck with our New Orleans travels. If it happens a third time, we'll definitely consider ourselves cursed there.

It's possible that the Stinking Rose story works better as an allusion than as a full story, but I'm happy to tell it:

In June of 2011, Lori and I went to San Francisco for a week. On that trip, I persuaded Lori to dine with me at the Stinking Rose. The Stinking Rose is a garlic theme restaurant; their slogan is "we season our garlic with food."
For an appetizer, we had bagna calda. I believe that the traditional form of bagna cauda involves tuna or anchovies seasoned with garlic, but the Stinking Rose's version was roasted garlic in olive oil seasoned with anchovies. I ate more of it than Lori.
For dinner, I had the Italian garlic meatloaf, which was polka-dotted with whole cloves of garlic. I forget what Lori chose, but it had what would normally be considered a generous amount of garlic - so it was probably a tenth the garlic of my entree.
For dessert, I tried the roasted garlic ice cream, which was actually pretty tasty. Lori, though, was not so bold.

So as you can see, we violated the Principle of Garlic Parity: if you and your sweetie eat the same amount of garlic, all is good; if one member of a couple eats a lot more garlic than the other, problems ensue.

The next day, I reeked of garlic. It was exuding from my pores. And there's no way to put this delicately: it made me flatulent. And the farts were horribly malodorous, reeking of garlic and brimstone. And we were taking a bus tour of wine country, so for most of the day we were sitting next to each other on the bus.

I am happy to have visited the restaurant, but it was definitely a mistake to do so on our honeymoon.

Funny story - thanks for sharing.
icecreamchick
Cheeseburger
Re:Ralph and Lori at the 2011 New Orleans Roadfood Festival 2011/04/01 23:30:19
Umm, so, Ralph told one of the funnier stories from our honeymoon with far more honesty than I expected.

I remember the strong "garlic aura" my husband had the day after the Stinking Rose...there's no nice way to put it -- he reeked

The Chicken Bonne Femme was not nearly as bad, but I'll admit my first words the next morning were "ugh, you still smell like garlic." I'm not a complete garlic frowner, but it's an aroma best suited to a plate of pasta. ;-)

I will also point out that despite the infamous "Stinking Rose Incident"(aka "The Stinking Ralph"), we'll be married ten years in June this year. So, a good relationship can survive the occasional garlic calamity. :-) 
Ralph Melton
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Ralph and Lori at the 2011 New Orleans Roadfood Festival 2011/04/02 00:04:49
On Friday morning, we got out of the hotel at about 11am. We considered going to Brennan's for breakfast, because we had had a splendid three-course breakfast there in 2011. We knew that this was our best chance for a big ornate breakfast like that, because we'd want to save our appetite for the Roadfood festival on Saturday and Sunday. But as splendid as the prospect was, it just did not call to us, and so we searched elsewhere. We looked in the window of Antoine's, but they didn't serve brunch on Friday, and Lori likes to start her day with breakfast. So we drifted across the street to K-Joe's, which is not listed on the Roadfood site, but which had provided outstanding red beans and rice at the 2010 festival. Lori asked if they were still serving breakfast, and the server replied, "until 2pm." Lori's kind of place!

I ordered the cajun omelet, which the menu describes thus: "CAJUN OMELLETTE, a true New Orleans breakfast; ham, smoke sausage, bell pepper and onions. Topped with Creole sauce." The omelette was very good, with strong flavors from the ham and sausage. The grits were unusual in that they tasted of fresh corn; I believe that they had a smattering of corn kernels mixed in. The biscuit was buttered and lightly toasted, which made it quite nice indeed.

Lori ordered the eggs Benedict with hash browns. The eggs Benedict were good, but Lori would have preferred a creamier hollandaise and less of the paprika-based seasoning on top.

I had hoped that I'd be delighted beyond compare by K-Joe's, such that I could claim it as a hitherto-undocumented Roadfood gem. But this meal leaves it still in limbo, because it's not uncommon to have meals this good; I'd like to have a few more extraordinary meals or several more very good meals at K-Joe's before I felt I could claim "you should turn aside from the other splendid restaurants in the French Quarter to make time for K-Joe's". But I'm certainly cheerful about breakfasting there. And on Saturday, I got to meet and chat with Joseph Faroldi, proprietor of K-Joe's, and I was very glad to chat with him. (More on that later.)

[font="verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; line-height: normal; font-size: small"]

Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Ralph and Lori at the 2011 New Orleans Roadfood Festival 2011/04/02 00:05:40
San Francisco is just a stones throw from Gilroy, CA - The Garlic Capital of the World" So I'm sure the Stinking Rose has the peak of freshness on the Menu. One of my goals is to make it to the Gilroy Garlic Festival. Anyone been there?
agnesrob
Re:Ralph and Lori at the 2011 New Orleans Roadfood Festival 2011/04/02 06:20:59
Great report. Can't wait for more!
Ahi Mpls.
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Ralph and Lori at the 2011 New Orleans Roadfood Festival 2011/04/02 08:13:25
 If you look closely, it would seem that the bowl of gumbo did indeed come with rice, 4 grains on the rim of the bowl!  What's up with that?!
  thanks for the report, I can't wait for more. 
Ralph Melton
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Ralph and Lori at the 2011 New Orleans Roadfood Festival 2011/04/03 00:26:59
I haven't been to the Garlic Festival, but I've driven through Gilroy; you can smell the garlic merely driving through with the windows rolled up.  
Ralph Melton
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Ralph and Lori at the 2011 New Orleans Roadfood Festival 2011/04/03 00:27:45

On the way to K-Joe's, we stopped to watch the Slick Skillet Serenaders busking on the street. I particularly enjoyed the guy on the left with the washboard, harmonica, kazoo, and assorted instruments.
(Edit: until I figure out how to embed video from Flickr with BBCode, the video is at http://www.flickr.com/pho...set-72157626262108989/ .)

After K-Joe's, we stopped to browse in the Fleur de Paris fine hat store. (The picture was taken of their shop window the evening before, when I hadn't yet seen the "no pictures" sign.) Fleur de Paris takes millinery to a level that I have not seen elsewhere, and to prices that I have not seen elsewhere - I saw one price tag on a hat showing $829, and I doubt that was the most expensive hat in the store.
As we came into the store, there was a figure to our left with a dainty red feathered top hat, a vintage-styled dress, and elegant stockings - I was very startled when she moved, because I had thought she was a mannequin.

In the afternoon, we took a walking tour produced by Friends of the Cabildo, a volunteer group supporting the Louisiana State Museum. We were deliberately looking for something very different from the ghost tour we had taken last year; last year's tour guide had definitely emphasized the gruesome, and we believed that he had gone so far as to prefer gruesome to true when a choice was necessary. In particular, according to Wikipedia, the tale of Delphine LaLaurie got exaggerated in 1946 and again in 1998 well beyond what primary materials support - and his version of the LaLaurie story definitely had all the most gruesome bits from the 1998 version.

In front of the Friends of the Cabildo store, there was a woman selling copies of her book Mad Madam LaLaurie, who claimed that she was going back to the primary sources and debunking the gruesome stories. We bought a copy as a financial endorsement of truth over sensationalism.

Pictures from our tour:

Jackson Square

A statue and painting of the French Market, located behind the market. I recall the guide mentioning that the headscarf on the woman in the lower left of the painting meant that she was a free woman of color.

This garden was next door to the Beauregard-Keyes house. I believe that it was established by Frances Parkinson Keyes, but I'm not certain.

The tour guide told us that these were called "Romeo Spikes". There was a strong double standard of sexual conduct in pre-war Louisiana, in which young men were expected to go out and sow their wild oats, but young women were supposed to remain at home and ensure that no wild oats were sown upon them. A strapping young buck might shimmy up a column to meet a miss upon a gallery - the Romeo spikes were meant to deter such rendezvous.

post edited by Ralph Melton - 2011/04/03 00:29:58
leethebard
Sirloin
Re:Ralph and Lori at the 2011 New Orleans Roadfood Festival 2011/04/03 07:40:43
Really enjoying this report. Romeo spikes...oooowwwww!!
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:Ralph and Lori at the 2011 New Orleans Roadfood Festival 2011/04/03 08:38:27
An early happy 10th guys...love the report, wish i had been with you!
leslie638
Junior Burger
Re:Ralph and Lori at the 2011 New Orleans Roadfood Festival 2011/04/03 20:31:39
Waiting patiently for the next installment.  I ate at Tujaques about 10 years ago & I don't remember it looking or being that good.  I leave for NO in may.  Thanks for a great report.
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
Re:Ralph and Lori at the 2011 New Orleans Roadfood Festival 2011/04/04 15:32:45
Ralph, we're celebrating our tenth in June as well--happy anniversary!  I'm so glad I don't have a parallel story from our honeymoon, but you're an awfully good sport for telling on yourself.  We're celebrating in SF this year too so I might pick your brain for places to visit.

We did Tujaques back in 04 or so and had the brisket with a different result--burped it for three days or so.  It is now affectionately known in our household as the 'death brisket.'  But everything else was very good and looks strikingly similar to our visit there.  Except for the crazy garlic business--we didn't do that.

The last time I was there I wandered through the office of the national park in the French Quarter and didn't have time for one of their tours but they looked terribly interesting--has anybody here done one of those?
Ralph Melton
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Ralph and Lori at the 2011 New Orleans Roadfood Festival 2011/04/05 23:07:44

Lori wanted to get a cab, because we'd been walking a lot and our legs were tired. Google Maps said that it would take us about 15 minutes to walk there, so I proposed that we start walking and hail a cab if we saw one. Unfortunately, Google Maps didn't accurately estimate our walking speed, and it didn't even get the right location. It ended up taking us about 40 minutes to finally get to the museum; we arrived just before the festivities started, with a mighty yearning to sit down.

The food:

The first food we saw was the extraordinary alligator cake made by Melissa's Custom Cakes, who had made the Crawfish Boil cake last year. Lori paid more attention to the construction of the cake than I did; she reports that Melissa uses melted chocolate over buttercream frosting, which gives a better flavor than fondant. Once the cake was finally cut, it was revealed to be a buttery pound cake alligator and a rich, moist chocolate bag of sugar.

Gumbo from Prejean's. This at least was served with rice, but I didn't notice the rich medley of flavors that I want from gumbo. I'm pretty sure this is a roux-based gumbo from the color, but I don't remember much else about it. Now, others judged the same gumbo much better - so maybe I was missing something.

Jambalaya and muffaletta pasta salad from K-Joe's. Again, though this was pretty good, I don't remember it well.

The cheese crackers from K-Joe's were much more memorable, though. They reminded me of Cheez-its, but much zestier and spicier. Smearing the cracker with a bit of the cream cheese and jalapeno jelly actually spread out the flavors and slowed down the heat without diminishing it.

There was an oyster boat as well. I'm still learning to like raw oysters, but I liked these as much as the ones Chris shared with me in North Carolina, with less garnishes.

Lori really liked the mini cupcakes from The Cupcake Company. They were good cake with thick, creamy, rich frosting that was as high as the cake.

I apparently neglected to take a photo of the Lasyone's meat pies. They were small, just a few inches long, but filled with a rich warm savory meat mixture. I loved the size as much as the taste. I suggested that they serve those pies at the Roadfood festival, but the lady providing them said that they were too labor-intensive to make in the quantities required for the festival.

I also sampled the cracklins without taking a picture. These cracklins were fatty and fibrous; they did not make a fan out of me.

I had hoped to get crawfish in the shell at the party, because there had been crawfish last year and I'm still at a stage such that a few crawfish is the right amount. But there were none.

One difference I noted between this year's party and last year's: all the food was local to Louisiana this year. I have no judgment on whether that's good or bad; I liked the nationwide flavor of last year's party, but some of last year's more distant foods did not travel well.

The big event of the evening was presenting the Blue Plate Award to Wayne Mueller of Louie Mueller's Barbecue. Wayne gave a very touching, incredibly humble speech, giving the credit to his grandfather and father who ran the restaurant before him, clearly showing that he felt honored to carry on that legacy.

As the party started to wind down a bit, I turned my attention to the museum itself. I skimmed over the room with absinthe bottles and paraphernalia, but I was really interested by the room called The Museum of the American Cocktail. I was quite engaged. Details I remember learning from the museum: I learned the name "callabogus" for one of the precursors to the cocktail, and I learned about Jamaica ginger as a patent medicine that got added to cocktails and caused its own special neurological breakdown. Unfortunately, I got kicked out when I was somewhere in Prohibition. Clearly, I need to go back some time when I'm not distracted by food and chatting.

post edited by Ralph Melton - 2011/04/05 23:28:52
Ralph Melton
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Ralph and Lori at the 2011 New Orleans Roadfood Festival 2011/04/05 23:23:29
Nancypalooza

Ralph, we're celebrating our tenth in June as well--happy anniversary!  I'm so glad I don't have a parallel story from our honeymoon, but you're an awfully good sport for telling on yourself.  We're celebrating in SF this year too so I might pick your brain for places to visit.

We did Tujaques back in 04 or so and had the brisket with a different result--burped it for three days or so.  It is now affectionately known in our household as the 'death brisket.'  But everything else was very good and looks strikingly similar to our visit there.  Except for the crazy garlic business--we didn't do that.

The last time I was there I wandered through the office of the national park in the French Quarter and didn't have time for one of their tours but they looked terribly interesting--has anybody here done one of those?

I'm not sure I have good suggestions for San Francisco; I've only been there a few times. On my most recent visit, I enjoyed Sears Fine Foods, Sam's Grill, and Dottie's Cafe, all reviewed on the website. I also have fond memories of Mona Lisa, because they were very sweet to us on our honeymoon - but that was years ago, and I don't remember whether the food was outstanding.

I'm intrigued by your very different experience of the brisket. The Roadfood writeup mentioned that people vary widely on the brisket; your experience suggests to me that it's really a variation in the brisket, instead being accounted by variations in the diners.

I have no experience of the tours from the New Orleans Jazz Historical Park, but the tour guide who led our walking tour spoke very highly of them. I'm also keeping it in mind for next year, because they show a lot of films for free; that might be a nice option when I've been standing too long.
Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle
Re:Ralph and Lori at the 2011 New Orleans Roadfood Festival 2011/04/06 01:01:08
Ralph, I didn't get to try the gumbo at the Friday night party, but I thought Saturday's gumbo was the food item of the weekend.  Perhaps the batches just came out different.  I think you are right, though, they used a dark roux.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Ralph and Lori at the 2011 New Orleans Roadfood Festival 2011/04/06 01:01:25
Nancy Palooza,
My #1 Stop every time in SF is Swan Oyster Depot on Nob Hill.
1517 Polk St
San Francisco, CA 94109
It will be 100 years old next year. Pretty soon they're going to get it right! Cash only, No Credit Cards taken. Go during off hours to avoid a wait. Limited Seating, like 20 counter stools!
Freshest seafood in SF.
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
Re:Ralph and Lori at the 2011 New Orleans Roadfood Festival 2011/04/06 08:50:31
(I'm not gonna hijack your thread but I'll ask you guys more questions as time gets closer--thank you!)

Ralph, my only real problem with gumbo is that sometimes a restaurant in particular seems to just use it as the throwaway for extra parts, and so I get unsettled by the random tiny claw or whatever.  Maybe that's perfectly acceptable gumbo operating procedure (GOP) or maybe it just varies from place to place.

Always glad to see somebody trotting out the cream cheese and pepper jelly, one of my favorite old lady Southern staples.
BelleReve
Re:Ralph and Lori at the 2011 New Orleans Roadfood Festival 2011/04/06 17:34:35
Ralph,
On those Romeo spikes - a friend of mine who's a tour guide points them out to his groups and says "Many a Romeo has climbed up - only to come down a Juliet."

I'm enjoying your reports, I had to work the weekend of the Roadfood festival, but at least I'll be getting to the French Quarter festival which starts tomorrow.

Ralph Melton
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Ralph and Lori at the 2011 New Orleans Roadfood Festival 2011/04/12 18:10:05
After the opening night party, nine of us headed over to Galatoire's. We had eaten at Galatoire's by ourselves last year, but this year we were tickled to be invited to join a larger group of Roadfood folks.
The down side of being in such a large group: we had a long wait. We tried to seclude ourselves in the bar while we waited, but there was no space for us to be out of traffic flows.

I ordered my first Sazerac, because it's the official cocktail of New Orleans. It was not to my cocktail-inexperienced taste; I mostly tasted dark murky flavors.

We were several people, none of us very hungry, all expecting to sample some of everything. So we let Chris Ayers choose for us. This gave us a good selection, but it meant that I neglected to get the names of everything we ate. I've forgotten the names of some of these foods, and some of the names I never knew. I find that I've forgotten many of the flavors as well - I hope that others who were there will add their own commentary.

These are oysters en brochette, which is more or less a deep-fried oyster-and-bacon kebab. What I remember most about this is the rich flavor of the toast that had soaked up all the flavorful grease from the oysters and bacon.

This appetizer combination was shrimp remoulade on the left (I think), and crab maison in the center - but I'm not at all sure about the right. I think it might have been crawfish, but I don't see any crawfish appetizers listed on Galatoire's online menu. Of these, I most enjoyed the smooth tanginess of the crabmeat maison.

This looks like gumbo, but a dim memory suggests it was an etouffée. The online menu only mentions shrimp etouffée, but I think it was something else.
The potatoes were Brabant potatoes, which a low-brow diner like me might describe as excellent hash browns. I enjoyed these much more than I had the year before, because I wasn't surprised by them this year. 

I don't remember which fish this is, but I think the sauce is the Meuniére Amandine. In the background, you can see the crab Sardou.

Again, I don't know the fish, and this time I don't know the sauce either. I see mushrooms and (I suspect) crabmeat, but none of the sauces listed on the website obviously contain mushrooms.

A closeup of the crab Sardou, a delicious combination of artichoke bottoms topped with crabmeat and Hollandaise sauce.

Lori is a fish frowner and a mushroom frowner, so she asked for the crab gratin to be added to the selection. This was very rich and cheesy, like a superb crab dip.

Apparently I neglected to get a picture of the souffleed potatoes, sliced potatoes fried so that they puffed up like balloons. I know that Chris ordered these because he was intrigued by my description of them last year - which gratifies me, because it makes me feel like one of the explorers of Roadfood, not just a consumer of others's discoveries.

As we meandered towards dessert, a host exhorted everyone in the restaurant to sing "Happy Birthday" for a gentleman at the next table. As we sang, we noticed that the birthday celebrant was wearing a tiara with the number 50 picked out in rhinestones. Chris ended up going to chat with him and getting a picture taken with the celebrant.

I remember the desserts a little better, at least well enough to identify them.
There was a sweet potato cheesecake with pecan praline topping, light and not very sweet. 

The banana bread pudding with caramel sauce was fabulous, my favorite of the desserts. The banana and caramel flavors really filled my mouth splendidly.

I remember that there was also a third dessert, involving chocolate and coffee. But apparently I neglected to photograph it. So here's another photo of the bread pudding instead.

So much excellent food, and so few clear memories. I regret that I can't remember and describe every dish in vivid detail.
ayersian
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Ralph and Lori at the 2011 New Orleans Roadfood Festival 2011/04/12 19:23:59
Ralph Melton
So much excellent food, and so few clear memories. I regret that I can't remember and describe every dish in vivid detail.

Ralph, it was probably all that butter -- it clogged my memory, too.    Chris
Ralph Melton
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Ralph and Lori at the 2011 New Orleans Roadfood Festival 2011/04/14 23:02:42
Saturday morning, we were anticipating a trip to the Camellia Grill, which Lori had proclaimed to have utterly perfect pancakes on our previous trip. 

I remembered reading a forum post on Roadfood that mentioned that the Camellia Grill had opened a second location in the French Quarter. This opened up a debate about location. Last year's trip through the Garden District to the Camellia Grill and back had made us too late to attend the World's Longest Oyster Po' Boy, and I didn't want to miss it again. On the other hand, utterly perfect pancakes are not to be trifled with. The French Quarter location won out based on two arguments: (1) If we went to the French Quarter location, we would then know whether it measured up to the original, and (2) we could visit the original location on Sunday if the French Quarter location proved wanting.

The outside did not have the stately Greek columns of the original. (The original has the most elegant exterior of any diner I've patronized.) Inside, though, it looked almost exactly the same. The two locations have the same W-shaped marble counters, the same pink walls, the same uniforms, and even the same banter between cookstaff and servers. The first picture is a picture of the French Quarter location; the second picture is a picture of the interior of the Uptown location last year. 

Lori again ordered the pancakes. I asked her to describe them just now, and she said, "they are light, buttery, fluffy, and perfect - and you must emphasize 'perfect'." Camellia Grill adds to the pancake experience by providing pitchers of melted butter for you to apply to your pancake, as shown in this action shot:

(A lady dining next to us asked what the pitcher contained, and we informed her. This led to a story from her: she would separate egg yolks out in order to cook just with egg whites, so she would accumulate egg yolks in a pitcher and feed them to her dog. One day, she was interrupted in her baking, and left a pitcher of melted butter in the fridge. Her kids then misidentified the pitcher and fed the butter to the dog. The results were messy.)

I ordered the red beans and rice, because I had studied the Roadfood Festival flyer and seen that there would be no red beans and rice available at the Festival. The Camellia Grill offers its red beans and rice with a "hamburger or hot sausage patti" [sic]. I chose the red beans and rice without; I wanted plenty of appetite for the festival ahead. I didn't miss the patti; there was lots of sausage in my dish. These red beans didn't have the rich, soulful depth of K-Joe's at the festival last year, but these were excellent in a different way, a clear tenor instead of a gravelly bass.

Our judgment: the French Quarter location of the Camellia Grill is fully the equal of the Uptown location in all but outdoor columns.

Stephen Rushmore Jr.
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Ralph and Lori at the 2011 New Orleans Roadfood Festival 2011/04/16 08:55:46
Fantastic - Glad to hear the FQ location of the Camellia Grill has the same standards.
Ralph Melton
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Ralph and Lori at the 2011 New Orleans Roadfood Festival 2011/04/17 23:25:05

(I learned that the World's Largest Oyster Po-Boy was not actually a single super-long po-boy roll, but a string of rolls each a yard long.)

First, though, there was an auction: one by one, each chef prepared one or two yards of their special variation of an oyster po-boy, a few inches were delivered to the judges for their tasting, and the rest was auctioned off, with the proceeds benefiting the local seafood industry. The largest price I heard in the auction was well over one hundred dollars.

I found a space in front of one of two tables for K-Joe's. The one I was in front of advertised a remoulade coleslaw oyster po-boy; the other K-Joe's booth advertised an oyster po-boy with a sweet Thai chili glaze. I got to meet Joseph Faroldi, chef of K-Joe's, shake his hand, and tell him how much I'd enjoyed the deep, rich, sumptuous red beans and rice K-Joe's had provided at the 2010 New Orleans Roadfood Festival. He said that he remembered me from my photo-taking on our visit the previous day–I wish I'd realized that there was that opportunity to chat with him.
I'm still not quite ready to endorse K-Joe's as a Roadfood restaurant, but from watching Chef Joe at the oyster po-boys, I've learned that he was born and raised in the French Quarter, and everyone who passed by greeted him with respect and affection.

Once the auction was nearly concluded, the po-boy assembly began. Runners (including Chris and Amy) carried pans of fried oysters (all fried by Acme Oyster House) out to all the chefs. Chef Joe had already opened the po-boy rolls and lined them with his remoulade coleslaw. He then carefully placed the oysters one by one along his po-boy territory.
This video includes oyster assembly, Chef Joe's voice, and the po-boy auction going on in the background.
[Flickr continues to thwart my attempts to embed videos. Video at http://www.flickr.com/pho...435163@N04/5573736639/ ]

After the official measurement, the po-boy was sliced and served. The remoulade coleslaw was zesty and flavorful, and nicely balanced the light oysters. I thought to sample something from another table, but the crowd had descended upon the po-boy like a school of piranhas; the block-long po-boy was consumed in a few minutes.

After that, a brass band led a second-line parade over to Royal Street. This was my first second-line experience; as far as I understand it, a second-line is an informal parade, with folks dancing and following the music like Hamelin children following the pied piper.

The woman with the pink umbrella is Jennifer Jones, whom we met and talked with on Sunday. She is apparently a second-line leader of note; it wasn't quite clear to me whether she's a professional or a renowned amateur. (I wouldn't expect there to be much money in doing it professionally, but if any city could support a professional ruffled-umbrella-twirling second-line leader, it would be New Orleans.) Poorly shot video:
http://www.flickr.com/pho...435163@N04/5574330882/

Another second-line dancer we admired was one we just called the Blue Guy. I wish I were as cool as the Blue Guy. The jerkiness of the video is a perfect example of the inherent tension between chronicling things like this and participating; the video is erratic because I was dancing while I shot it.

http://www.flickr.com/pho...435163@N04/5573742651/

Ralph Melton
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Ralph and Lori at the 2011 New Orleans Roadfood Festival 2011/04/18 23:14:29
 three weeks and sufficient time to forget everything, I'm finally chronicling the Roadfood festival itself.

First, a piece of buttermilk delight pie from Royer's Round Top Cafe. "Buttermilk delight" means that although there's buttermilk pie as a basis, there's a lot of coconut, pecans, and chocolate chips added. I like Royer's pies, but I feel it should be possible to outdo their pie crust.

The Farmer's Kitchen from Iowa was providing breaded pork tenderloin sandwiches. I was very curious about the pork tenderloin, because I've never had one before. I was expecting something sturdy and flavorful, like a country-fried steak. But this was more like the chicken biscuit I had in February; it was tender and very juicy, with a very gentle pork taste.

This was crawfish Louise from The Court of Two Sisters, which demonstrates yet again that I should take better notes. I remember being told that it contained tomatoes, garlic, bread crumbs, mozzarella and parmesan cheeses, but I don't think I remember everything I was told. It was tasty, but heavy enough that I didn't want to eat the whole thing early in the Festival day. I looked for people to share it with, but failed to find sharers and kept nibbling at it. I think Lori finally disposed of it for me.

We were delighted with Louie Mueller Barbecue last year, and so we made sure to visit them early this year. They weren't serving sausage this year, and they weren't serving brisket as less than a half pound. On the one hand, my reaction to the thought of being told that we'll have to eat at least a half pound of brisket is along the lines of "please don't throw me into that briar patch!' But on the other hand, I was trying to save my appetite for all the good things at the festival - and you can't throw away food that good. The brisket is tender and moist with melted fat, and enormously flavored with smoke and black pepper.

The strawberry balsamic sorbet from La Divina Cafe e Gelato was good, but tainted with bitter memories: Lori had received execrable service when she tried to get gelato last year. I found the sorbet a bit too sweet for a really rich flavor.

Chris Ayers joined us in a 12-hour roast beef po-boy with horseradish cream and pickled onions, from Boucherie (the new name of the folks driving the Que Crawl Truck). This was splendid, with wonderfully rich and juicy beef and debris, cooled and polished by the horseradish cream. But when it was served, a nonexistent voice said, "this sandwich will self-destruct in five minutes." And passing the sandwich back and forth added extra delay - we finished the sandwich just before it utterly lost all structural integrity.

ayersian
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Ralph and Lori at the 2011 New Orleans Roadfood Festival 2011/04/18 23:37:44
Ralph, again, excellent!  Not my most fetching photo above, but I'll take it.  It fine-tunes my taste memory as to how tender that sandwich was...ye gods, we ate like kings that day!    Chris

P.S.  You probably already saw it, but I linked this report in my "Part 7" Digest post -- you did a much better job with the details than I!
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Ralph and Lori at the 2011 New Orleans Roadfood Festival 2011/04/19 16:30:50
Chris, I commend your ability to continue eating despite appearing sound asleep!

Ralph, this tremendous report has been a real pleasure to read.  Looking forward to more!
Ralph Melton
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Ralph and Lori at the 2011 New Orleans Roadfood Festival 2011/04/19 17:01:09
Chris, I chose the photo because I felt it captured the challenge of eating such a fragile sandwich. I doubt I looked any prettier as I was easing it to my mouth.

buffetbuster, thank you for your kind words. I feel chagrined when I can't remember details to share - and I feel this is happening often. By my count, I've got about seven food installments left to go, plus one non-food interlude with a great many pictures. So if I work hard, I might be able to finish this by the end of April.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Ralph and Lori at the 2011 New Orleans Roadfood Festival 2011/04/19 17:14:03
Ralph, because I often write my reports long after getting home, I started with notes or at least photographing the menu of what we ordered.  So you are not alone on this.
ayersian
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Ralph and Lori at the 2011 New Orleans Roadfood Festival 2011/04/19 22:06:36
Ralph, I used to travel with a little notebook for taking down details, but I got out of the habit for whatever reason.  I think it's high time to buy another and keep it with me from now on!  Thanks for the inspiration...  Chris
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
Re:Ralph and Lori at the 2011 New Orleans Roadfood Festival 2011/04/19 22:21:26
Listen, eating faces are almost the most private, intimate faces you make.  Don't ever judge an eating face.  :)

Ralph I'm impressed you took the time to put up video--and gave directions too ('I was dancing'). 

And please tell Lori that I understand the pancakes were perfect. 
Ralph Melton
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Ralph and Lori at the 2011 New Orleans Roadfood Festival 2011/04/19 23:04:39
Chris and Amy invited us to join them in their plan to meet Anne and Michael at Central Grocery for muffalettas. This plan pleased me greatly. I've been curious about the Central Grocery muffaletta, but my impression was that the muffalettas were the size of a hubcap, so I feared that a muffaletta would eliminate our appetite for other New Orleans delights. So eating a muffaletta with several other people was just right for me.

Central Grocery is a classic Italian grocery, with piles of Italian imports on wooden shelves. Pittsburgh does have some Italian groceries with some of this atmosphere, but I can't think offhand of a Pittsburgh grocery with quite as much of this air of homely comfort.

I forgot the training I'd received on muffaletta-eating last year; according to the folks at Rouse's booth at last year's festival, I should have pressed down on the sandwich to force the oils of the olive salad into the bread. The muffaletta was flavorful, with bright flavors from the salad muted by the cheeses. But it wasn't as bright and flavorful as I'd hoped it would be.
Untitled by Ralph Melton, on Flickr

(I took a picture behind the counter where the muffalettas were being assembled, but then I saw the "no photos behind counter sign. I haven't yet decided what to do with that; apparently I'm still in a limbo in which I don't delete it, but don't flaunt it.)

Here's the sort of geek I am: I noticed a discrepancy in this sign. I invite you to study it before reading my explanation below.

It says "108 year tradition", but it also says "since 1905". 108 years from 1905 is 2013. Some possibilities: they might be preparing for the year 2013, or they might have invented the muffaletta before opening the grocery. (Another discrepancy: Wikipedia says that Central Grocery was founded in 1906.)

post edited by Ralph Melton - 2011/04/19 23:07:13
boucaniere
Junior Burger
Re:Ralph and Lori at the 2011 New Orleans Roadfood Festival 2011/04/19 23:54:43
Ralph,
I am enjoying all of your New Orleans Roadfood posts.  We enjoyed participating in the festival and are looking forward to returning next year.  We made tons of new friends from all different parts of  the country.
Best,
Greg Walls - Johnson's Boucaniere
johnnymolson
Hamburger
Re:Ralph and Lori at the 2011 New Orleans Roadfood Festival 2011/04/20 02:56:15
I'll second that recommendation of Swan Oyster Depot; you can't go wrong with seafood that fresh.  I ordered a plate of picked crab meat, which provided a little variety between rounds of different types of oyster.
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
Re:Ralph and Lori at the 2011 New Orleans Roadfood Festival 2011/04/20 08:19:15
I am filled with homely comfort at the sight of that sandwich. ;)
house
Junior Burger
Re:Ralph and Lori at the 2011 New Orleans Roadfood Festival 2011/04/20 09:22:13
Great post. Thanks :)
billyboy
Re:Ralph and Lori at the 2011 New Orleans Roadfood Festival 2011/04/20 09:30:01
Ralph, wonderful recap, just wonderful!!  You and Lori truly took full advantage of everything there was to offer and I can almost smell and taste the drool-worthy foods in these excellent pictures!  Thanks!
Ralph Melton
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Ralph and Lori at the 2011 New Orleans Roadfood Festival 2011/04/20 15:16:24
ayersian

Ralph, I used to travel with a little notebook for taking down details, but I got out of the habit for whatever reason.  I think it's high time to buy another and keep it with me from now on!  Thanks for the inspiration...  Chris

On other trips, I've taken notes on my iPhone, so that I at least remember what I eat, if not all the gustatory details. On this trip, I slacked off a bit, assuming that my photos would carry the load. They might have done so, but I got busy with work and wasn't able to start posting as quickly as I'd hoped, and I don't think I ever knew the names of all the things we got at Galatoire's.
Ralph Melton
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Ralph and Lori at the 2011 New Orleans Roadfood Festival 2011/04/20 15:31:16
Nancypalooza
Ralph I'm impressed you took the time to put up video--and gave directions too ('I was dancing'). 

It's actually almost as easy to do video as pictures for me.
I take all my pictures with the iPhone, and taking video instead is as easy as flipping a switch.
And syncing the video with iTunes and then uploading to Flickr uses the same flow as for pictures.
Where it breaks down is including the video in posts; Flickr gives Flash-based HTML for viewing the video, so the HTML version not viewable on the iPad. And Flickr doesn't provide a BBCode option for video, and I haven't yet figured out how to embed Flickr video in forum posts.

The other more minor issue with my video workflow is that I keep forgetting to flip the switch back. For example, in Charlotte, I ended up with several seconds of video of buffetbuster's biscuits. 

I also have some social concerns about the etiquette of recording video of buskers. I feel there's one level of tipping that's appropriate for listening to a musician and taking a few pictures. I'm willing to take a brief video in order to capture a "snapshot" of what a busker's music sounds like, or what a dancer's moves looked like - but I feel that recording a whole song would be kind of weaselly at that level of tipping.
So I record brief snippets, which would be even better embedded into posts than long videos.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Ralph and Lori at the 2011 New Orleans Roadfood Festival 2011/04/20 15:43:33
I can't remember what I had for Breakfast, so I carry a little voice recorder with me and make verbal notes to myself on all kinds of things. Without it, a thought comes and goes and sometimes it comes back at the most inopportune time to remember so I record it when I get the fleeting thought. Senioritis!
 My biggest problem is remembering to take it with me!!
blizzardstormus
Cheeseburger
Re:Ralph and Lori at the 2011 New Orleans Roadfood Festival 2011/04/20 17:04:58
Great report so far. My family and I had a great time in New Orleans bringing the breaded pork tenderloin to NOLA. I had runners getting food throughout the festival, but your report shows I STILL missed a bunch of good eats!
Ralph Melton
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Ralph and Lori at the 2011 New Orleans Roadfood Festival 2011/04/20 23:36:56
Lori split off to attend Mass at St. Louis Cathedral, and the other five of us strolled back to the festival for more food.

We stopped to watch a music performance that featured the cutest trombonist I've ever seen. He looked like he was only about three years old. However, although his embrasure was no doubt better than mine, he wasn't really focused on playing; he had to be coaxed to play. I felt that he siphoned some attention away from the inconspicuous nine-year-old girl playing drums behind him; she was really holding her own with the rest of the band.

I'm not certain of my facts here, but I'll claim that Anne ordered the crawfish enchiladas with cumin mornay sauce from Blue Dog Cafe. I liked these better than I did last year; the flavors seemed a bit zestier and livelier.

Another non-food picture: I was struck by the costumes of this pair, and asked if I might take their picture. Lisa (the one on the left) explained that they'd been participating in a run-and-follow-clues event across the city, and the costumes were adding to the fun of that event. Lisa's wearing a nametag that says "Sue" with a circle-slash over it, and her partner is wearing a nametag that says "Nami" with a circle-slash, for a punny reading of "No Sue Nami". Their costumes represent waves.
I believe that Sue is holding a soft-shell crab po-boy from Oceana Restaurant, and Nami is holding the husk of a tamale from Tucson Tamale Company.

Chris and Amy introduced me to Charlene Johnson of Farmer's Kitchen, and I really enjoyed chatting with her. I remember her talking about her struggles to find a way to bring her highly-praised sour cream raisin pie to the festival (sadly unsuccessful, alas).

One of these three pronounced that the right way to eat a pork tenderloin is with mustard and pickles. I tried it that way, but I didn't add enough condiments to alter the fundamental gentleness of the sandwich.
A behind-the-scenes pork tenderloin shot:

post edited by Ralph Melton - 2011/04/21 09:12:11
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
Re:Ralph and Lori at the 2011 New Orleans Roadfood Festival 2011/04/21 08:28:44
Now is Charlene blizzardstormus or related to blizzardstormus?  Or do I have that wrong?
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Ralph and Lori at the 2011 New Orleans Roadfood Festival 2011/04/21 08:29:58
Nancy-
Charlene is the mother of blizzardstormus, who owns The Farmer's Kitchen.  She also has her own local cable access cooking show and makes the best sour cream raisin pie I have ever had!
post edited by buffetbuster - 2011/04/21 08:33:02
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:Ralph and Lori at the 2011 New Orleans Roadfood Festival 2011/04/21 08:44:22
This is such a wonderful report to follow.Thanks, Ralph.
icecreamchick
Cheeseburger
Re:Ralph and Lori at the 2011 New Orleans Roadfood Festival 2011/04/21 09:33:38
I did get to see that band the next day. The toddler trombonist was just darling, and I'm sure he'll go on to great things musically!  But really, the nine year old girl playing the drums  was the one who impressed me. 

I thought the pork sandwich was great. I guess we'll have to do some driving to taste the sour cream raisin pie. It sounds delicious!

Speaking of pie, the "Buttermilk Delight" deserves a special re-mention. I thought it was perfection on a paper plate. Buttery and chocolatey are two great tastes that go great together! 

I must add another mention of the Camellia Grill. I love this place like no other. It is named for a flower, the walls are pink, the atmosphere is friendly, and the pancakes are possibly my favorite anywhere. I highly recommend them! I prefer the Garden District location for its white-columned charm, but the French Quarter location is equally charming inside, and had a much shorter wait for a seat. I wonder if they'd consider a third location in Pittsburgh? ;-)
blizzardstormus
Cheeseburger
Re:Ralph and Lori at the 2011 New Orleans Roadfood Festival 2011/04/21 21:31:33
Great report, Ralph! The parade video of the umbrella twirler is great! And then I studied the video a little closer and lo & behold! I see a little white-haired old lady taking pictures in the background. It's my mom, Charlene! And then I went through her pictures and voila!

The SAME EXACT MOMENT only from 180 degrees apart!! And there you are, filming in the background!
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
Re:Ralph and Lori at the 2011 New Orleans Roadfood Festival 2011/04/21 23:05:47
That's a pretty awesome picture!
Ralph Melton
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Ralph and Lori at the 2011 New Orleans Roadfood Festival 2011/04/22 00:07:38
I made sure to sample the green corn tamale from Tucson Tamale Company, because we had met the proprietors at the opening party and enjoyed talking with them. We had been reassured that the tamales were mild enough that even Lori could eat them, but I was doing a scouting run to make sure. The tamale was indeed very mild, and very steamy and fragrant - but tamales are one of those dishes for which I have some deeply ingrained misconception, such that tamales never taste the way I expect them to taste.

The fried artichoke hearts from Chad's Bistro were one of the highlights of the festival. The breading was crisp and a little bit spicy, the artichoke was delectably soft, and the spicy ranch sauce really made it bloom in the mouth. The five of finished these very quickly.

We talked for a while with Wayne Mueller of Louie Mueller's Barbecue. Exciting news: he plans to start shipping barbecue this year!

Antoine's Annex was serving baked Alaska, which was on my bucket list of things to try someday. Baked Alaska is a layer of pound cake, a layer of ice cream, and a layer of browned meringue, topped with chocolate sauce. I thought it was no better than an ordinary sundae, but Lori deemed it so delicious she made sure to get another bowl on Sunday.

Chris said to us, "You've got to try the grilled cheese boudin sandwich," so we strolled over to the Johnson's Boucaniere booth. "You got the five-hundredth sandwich!" we were told. "Woohoo! What do we win?" We won nothing, but we were still far more fortunate to get the five-hundredth sandwich than the five-hundred-first, because the five-hundredth-first did not exist. The sandwich was too spicy for Lori, but I enjoyed the boudin and the nice toasty bread - though since I don't know boudin well, I found myself wishing that the flavor of the boudin wasn't obscured by cheese. Unfortunately, I didn't make a chance to return for the boudin by itself.

If you're only going to watch one of my videos, make it this one: as we were finishing the grilled cheese boudin sandwich, a wedding procession came second-lining along Royal Street past the food booths. I particularly like the parasol-twirling from the bride and the groom. (The major jitter in the middle comes from my cheering; again there's that tension between participating and recording.) Lori proposed that we should get married again, so that we could have a procession like that.
Lori says that this was the fourth or fifth wedding procession she saw that day. Why didn't we have a procession like that at our wedding? Aside from it being a rainy day in Pittsburgh with a driving distance between church and reception site, and our having no knowledge of this tradition, that is?
http://www.flickr.com/pho.../set-72157626262108989
Ralph Melton
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Ralph and Lori at the 2011 New Orleans Roadfood Festival 2011/04/22 00:10:05
blizzardstormus, that's a fabulous picture of Jennifer Jones!
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
Re:Ralph and Lori at the 2011 New Orleans Roadfood Festival 2011/04/22 10:13:12
Ralph, I've very much enjoyed your report.  It's been a while since I have been to N'awlins, but your photos and videos bring back fond memories.  I got so hooked on the cuisine that I order various food items every year from Louisiana for home use.
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2