Red Robin in Frederick

chewingthefat
  • Total Posts : 6093
  • Reward points : 0
Red Robin in Frederick - Sat, 04/9/11 5:21 PM
Got one opening nearby Frederick is 24 miles south, I'm there alot, is the place worth a stop, if so, what's good, if anything?

mayor al
  • Total Posts : 15058
Re:Red Robin in Frederick - Sat, 04/9/11 6:27 PM
Red Robin (been in 3 or 4) tends to be a squeezed together, eat and run kind of place. Loud fast moving music prevents  most normal conversations.. Burgers are ok and Onion Rings seemed to be very good, but I am not comfortable in a 'hustle in' kind of place where the tables and booths are really jammed together.  Try it and see if they have improved their seating arrangements and turned DOWN the music.
  Kind of reminds me of TGI Fridays some years back as a 'meat-market ' for xerox workers AFTER HOURS!!!

JRPfeff
  • Total Posts : 2367
Re:Red Robin in Frederick - Sat, 04/9/11 7:12 PM
They have great toppings on burgers that could be used as hockey pucks.

MikeS.
  • Total Posts : 5357
Re:Red Robin in Frederick - Sun, 04/10/11 7:35 AM
We ate at them in Calif. many years ago. Don't bother.

JRPfeff
Re:Red Robin in Frederick - Sun, 04/10/11 10:14 AM
Chewy - Probably not a good place for a restaurant owner to eat. Your head might explode... "They serve this crap and are this busy?"  
Oh yeah, unlimited fries are included with their sandwiches.  Try asking for a discount for the sandwich without fries.
Jim

kland01s
  • Total Posts : 2835
Re:Red Robin in Frederick - Sun, 04/10/11 10:54 AM
Tried one with my nephew and found it loud and full of10-12 yr old sports teams out for the unlimited fries. Much better burgers elsewhere in a less chaotic atmosphere.

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17800
Re:Red Robin in Frederick - Sun, 04/10/11 11:09 AM
It's been years, but when I'd take my grandson there it was loud enough to hurt the ears, filled with little kids running around, expensive drinks (meaning shakes and stuff -- the booze was about the same as anywhere), and overpriced burgers. As an aside, by the fourth time I was there they'd removed the only burger I'd order from their menu. Oh, I believe they offer lots of French fries.

chewingthefat
Re:Red Robin in Frederick - Sun, 04/10/11 12:12 PM
From the above opinions, it won't last in Frederick, IMHO, graveyard of many a franchise.

BackAlleyBurger
  • Total Posts : 1077
Re:Red Robin in Frederick - Sun, 04/10/11 3:29 PM
we have one here in fayetteville, and i didnt think it would last very long..... 8 dollar crap meat on a bun, decent toppings, endless fries is the gimmick for the way over priced burgers....(hell yea i'll give you three taters worth of fries for paying 8 bucks for 3 dollar burger)
but i'll be damned if they aint still here ten years later, and busier then ever from the looks of the parking lot... i dont get it, people are stupid

BackAlleyBurger
  • Total Posts : 1077
Re:Red Robin in Frederick - Sun, 04/10/11 3:31 PM
chewingthefat
From the above opinions, it won't last in Frederick, IMHO, graveyard of many a franchise.

send 'em down here, these idiots would support a place selling **** on a stick if they packaged it nicely and had a cool building

Greymo
  • Total Posts : 3660
Re:Red Robin in Frederick - Sun, 04/10/11 4:17 PM
Lat evening, I had to take my youngest granddaughter to a lacrosse team event which was held at Red Robin.  I had been to one before so knew well enough not to order an overdone hamburger.    I decided on a Bruschetta chicken sandwich and a glass of house white wine.(which was a very small pour).  My grandchild ordered some chicken on a stick and a root beer float..Ny sandwich was ok  but not for $10.49.  The bill with tax and tip for the two of us was  $30.00.  A terrible price to pay for below average food.   I hope I never have to take a grandchild there again for any event!

The highlight of the meal was when a toddler came over to our table and try to get on my granddaughter's lap.  (His parents thought it was cute!

chewingthefat
Re:Red Robin in Frederick - Sun, 04/10/11 5:19 PM
BackAlleyBurger

chewingthefat

send 'em down here, these idiots would support a place selling **** on a stick if they packaged it nicely and had a cool building

LOL! I had lunch today at a place in Emmitsburg that the food was so tasteless as to be non existant, it was crowded. Granted it wasn't expensive, we went there to play a few games of Keno, legal theft by the great state of Md., fun nonetheless, while having a few Yungling drafts, but I am truly in wonder how such a crapola place has been around for over 35 years. Nothing is homemade, everything bottom of the line quality, except the beer! I must admit, it ain't the first time there, the Keno is the draw for me. I'd have it here but it's a PITA from an owners standpoint.

JRPfeff
Re:Red Robin in Frederick - Sun, 04/10/11 5:59 PM
Ha ha, Yuengling! 

You are kidding about that being that being something other than "bottom of the line quality,"right?  Bleh!

chewingthefat
Re:Red Robin in Frederick - Sun, 04/10/11 9:24 PM
JRPfeff

Ha ha, Yuengling! 

You are kidding about that being that being something other than "bottom of the line quality,"right?  Bleh!

Actually, it'smy most popular selling draft.

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17800
Re:Red Robin in Frederick - Sun, 04/10/11 9:57 PM
Undestandable. It's an old line Pennstlvania beer and you're close to Pennsytvania. And it's a good beer. Outlanders have no idea how good.

HotDogHead
  • Total Posts : 665
Re:Red Robin in Frederick - Fri, 04/15/11 5:21 PM
I like RR.  I love their crispy chicken sandwich.  Love the fries with their signature Red Robin seasoning salt.  Weirdly, their clam chowder is quite good too; add to it their seasoning salt.  Not bad for a chain.  I think they are one of the better ones around these days. 

tmiles
  • Total Posts : 1908
Re:Red Robin in Frederick - Thu, 10/31/13 6:23 PM
We went 2 nights ago. They are busy with good service. The burger was good. The fries were unlimited, and I ate too many, but they are not very good. IMO, you pay for more than you get, even with the "free" fries.

mar52
  • Total Posts : 7590
Re:Red Robin in Frederick - Thu, 10/31/13 6:41 PM
I've seen them attached to outlet malls where there isn't any other choice for eating.

Ate at one once.

Just love when all of the fried fish pieces are clones of one another.  (Didn't feel like a burger)

MetroplexJim
  • Total Posts : 3704
Re:Red Robin in Frederick - Thu, 10/31/13 7:15 PM
There are some great places to eat along the Rt. 15 corridor, through to L'bg. 

Trust me, Red Robin is not among them. 

In that caregory I much prefer Fuddruckers.

If you're hungry and near, go. 

But, it is not a "destination".

Davebassman
  • Total Posts : 115
Re:Red Robin in Frederick - Fri, 11/1/13 10:13 AM
chewingthefat

JRPfeff

Ha ha, Yuengling! 

Actually, it'smy most popular selling draft.

Off-topic, but Yeungling is my everyday "go-to" beer!....

iluvcfood
  • Total Posts : 395
Re:Red Robin in Frederick - Fri, 11/1/13 10:48 AM
mar52

I've seen them attached to outlet malls where there isn't any other choice for eating.

Ate at one once.

Just love when all of the fried fish pieces are clones of one another.  (Didn't feel like a burger)

RR burgers are HIGHLY overrated but their Fish and Chips cant be beat! 
You get 4 HUGE fresh pieces of fish battered to perfection and bottomless fries!  
The only better TASTING Fish and Chips I have had came from two places.........the Queen Mary (small but VERY, VERY tasty) and from restaurants in Washington State where I am originally from! 

MetroplexJim
Re:Red Robin in Frederick - Fri, 11/1/13 11:30 AM
iluvcfood

mar52

Ate at one once.

RR burgers are HIGHLY overrated but their Fish and Chips cant be beat! 
You get 4 HUGE fresh pieces of fish battered to perfection and bottomless fries!  
The only better TASTING Fish and Chips I have had came from two places.........the Queen Mary (small but VERY, VERY tasty) and from restaurants in Washington State where I am originally from! 

Please don't shoot, but - with few exceptions - I have always found restaurants in Cali "lacking".  One of the few exceptions is the one I assume you cite:  Sir Winston's on board the magnificent Queen Mary. 

And, unlike Red Robin, it is quiet and not over-run by screeching crumb-crunchers!  

MetroplexJim
Re:Red Robin in Frederick - Fri, 11/1/13 11:35 AM
chewingthefat

Frederick is a true jewel of a town. 

After they and Western Maryland secede from the People's Republic of Maryland I'd definitely consider retiring there.

chewingthefat
Re:Red Robin in Frederick - Fri, 11/1/13 5:26 PM
MetroplexJim

chewingthefat

Frederick is a true jewel of a town. 

After they and Western Maryland secede from the People's Republic of Maryland I'd definitely consider retiring there.

It really is Jim, lots to do, see, explore, decent restaurants, not expensive, friendly folks, low crime!

pnwchef
  • Total Posts : 2226
Re:Red Robin in Frederick - Fri, 11/1/13 10:29 PM
Chewy, I drive pass one all the time..............

iluvcfood
Re:Red Robin in Frederick - Sun, 11/3/13 12:13 PM
MetroplexJim

You are absolutely correct about Red Robins in as much as their Burgers are horrible but to re-iterate again........  Their Fish & Chips are VERY hard to beat!  BIG fresh pieces of fish with the bottomless fries are great! The Red salt they have is also great but we get the Buffalo Wing hot sauce and dip ours in it!
As to Fuddruckers............  sadly they are ALL gone in San Diego and who knows elsewhere!  Pricey but oh so good!    IMHO the best burger locally here is Smash burgers.

lleechef
  • Total Posts : 6204
Re:Red Robin in Frederick - Sun, 11/3/13 12:33 PM
I've only been to the one in Anchorage and the food was very good.  Burgers much better than Smashburger, good fries, good drinks.  Never had their fish & chips.....I save that for Wholey's in Pittsburgh!

MetroplexJim
Re:Red Robin in Frederick - Sun, 11/3/13 2:31 PM
iluvcfood

MetroplexJim

You are absolutely correct about Red Robins in as much as their Burgers are horrible but to re-iterate again........  Their Fish & Chips are VERY hard to beat!  BIG fresh pieces of fish with the bottomless fries are great! The Red salt they have is also great but we get the Buffalo Wing hot sauce and dip ours in it!
As to Fuddruckers............  sadly they are ALL gone in San Diego and who knows elsewhere!  Pricey but oh so good!    IMHO the best burger locally here is Smash burgers.

You've convinced me with the Queen Mary comparison.  The Mrs. and I will go try their fish & chips.

BTW: there are still some Fuddrucker's in San Diego.  Lord knows, they are still plentiful here in Texas.

Fudd's founder, Phil Romano, lives in here Dallas and is still "incubating restaurant concepts".  Here's his house on Strait Lane where among his neighbors are H. Ross and Margot Perot.
<message edited by MetroplexJim on Sun, 11/3/13 2:33 PM>

iluvcfood
Re:Red Robin in Frederick - Sun, 11/3/13 3:38 PM
MetroplexJim

iluvcfood

MetroplexJim

You've convinced me with the Queen Mary comparison.  The Mrs. and I will go try their fish & chips.

BTW: there are still some Fuddrucker's in San Diego.  Lord knows, they are still plentiful here in Texas.

Fudd's founder, Phil Romano, lives in here Dallas and is still "incubating restaurant concepts".  Here's his house on Strait Lane where among his neighbors are H. Ross and Margot Perot.

How interesting about the Fudduckers in San Diego!  I thought they had all vanished!   The one we used to go to was about 2 miles if that from where we lived and was NEVER crowded!  Imagine our surprise one day when we went there for dinner and the place was boarded up!  No warning no nothing! 
The ones you listed in San Diego are well over 30 minute drive from us so that's out of the question for a Burger!  Smash Burgers is about 3 minutes from us so I'll do them from time to time!  
Mar I think can vouch for this but about 10 minutes from us is Ruby's where they serve some of the absolute best  burgers I have ever eaten!  Their specialty fries are to die for!  I especially like the Garlic or Blue Cheese fries! 
Besides their Burgers the other sandwiches are awesome! 

http://www.rubys.com/1-menu/lunch.aspx

mar52
  • Total Posts : 7590
Re:Red Robin in Frederick - Sun, 11/3/13 6:00 PM
Woops, I'm confusing Red Robin with Ruby's Diner.

I have eaten at Red Robin in Tustin and I did have the fish and chips that were great.

It's Ruby's I didn't care for.

eruby
  • Total Posts : 585
Re:Red Robin in Frederick - Mon, 11/4/13 8:27 AM
We usually go once a yearas we get a free burger during our birthday month.

They will cook a burger medium, or medium rare if you want.  They will also substiture the bottomless steak fries for bottomless side salad, or various other sides.  The place can be very loud, but if you go at an off-hour, it's not bad, and we've never had anything but great service.

Unlike other posters, I find Fuddruckers not as good as Red Robin.

Is it Tessaro's? NO.  Is it good, especially for a free burger? Yes.  YMMV