They're making Krystals even thinner

ces1948
  • Total Posts : 1499
  • Reward points : 0
They're making Krystals even thinner - Sun, 04/10/11 6:53 PM
I know it seems impossible but last night my wife and I were out of the area (we don't have any close) and decided to bring a bag of Krystal cb's back to the motel. The meat is now PAPER thin. I would guess maybe 2/3 of the size it was a couple of years ago. I didn't think for what you got it was a particularly good bargain either. They have a "sack full" of 12 cb's 2 small fries and 2 drinks for about $17.

MellowRoast
  • Total Posts : 1933
Re:They're making Krystals even thinner - Sun, 04/10/11 7:05 PM
Update: See new post below.
<message edited by MellowRoast on Mon, 05/16/11 10:38 PM>

Gumbo191
  • Total Posts : 71
Re:They're making Krystals even thinner - Sun, 04/10/11 8:16 PM
Used to be a favorite but lately all you get is bread, onions, and mustard. Where's the Beef? (Stole that line from  another famous chain).

edwmax
  • Total Posts : 2015
Re:They're making Krystals even thinner - Sun, 04/10/11 10:19 PM
I believer your right.  ... I haven't eaten a Krystals burger in more than 12 maybe 18 years.  Last year I got several when I was in Macon, Ga.     .... There was no beef/meat flavor and the onion chip was thicker than the meat patty.    ... The Burger King double cheese burger at a $1 was a much better buy.  Krystal was 93 cents.

HollyDolly
  • Total Posts : 1065
Re:They're making Krystals even thinner - Mon, 04/11/11 10:19 AM
Well I tried the one in Live Oak,Tx up the road from me once.It wasn't bad, but didn't go back. I guess with the rise in the cost of food, the company is skimping on the meat. By the way, there aren't any Krystal's in the San Antonio area any more.
That one by the Regal Live Oak 18 closed a couple of years ago, don't know why,as it was in a good location.

ces1948
Re:They're making Krystals even thinner - Mon, 04/11/11 10:31 AM
There was one directly across the street from the University of Florida in Gainesville several years ago and as you could imagine it was packed nearly around the clock. It was a mystery why that location ever closed. They didn't tear down the building and several other restaurants have occupied the space in the years since.

fishtaco
  • Total Posts : 742
Re:They're making Krystals even thinner - Mon, 04/11/11 2:54 PM
Always knew White Castle was better!
Krystals ate 93 cents? Again WC 63 cents.

MellowRoast
Re:They're making Krystals even thinner - Mon, 04/11/11 3:24 PM
Krystals are 69¢ before tax here.  
<message edited by MellowRoast on Tue, 05/17/11 12:06 AM>

ces1948
Re:They're making Krystals even thinner - Mon, 04/11/11 3:51 PM
I didn't really look at the individual prices but our sackful of 12 cb's, 2 small fries and 2 med drinks was just under $17 with tax.

carlton pierre
  • Total Posts : 2500
Re:They're making Krystals even thinner - Mon, 04/18/11 12:44 PM
I've found Krystal less appealing as they charge a lot and they're not what they used to be.

ces1948
Re:They're making Krystals even thinner - Mon, 04/18/11 4:36 PM
I have a hard time now that I'm older of determining if these places have changed that much or is it me? I sometimes think it's a combination of the two.

SassyGritsAL
  • Total Posts : 1089
Re:They're making Krystals even thinner - Mon, 05/16/11 6:46 PM
Still crave the though! I had two yesterday w/extra mustard. I do agree that w/o asking for extra mustard they are dry. I like their fried pies too. I remember a Krystal we had here (now closed) that when I went through the drive-thru on my way to work they would fix me an egg sandwich on plain bread. I would get this about once or twice a week. Well, one day I orderd it and got to work and opened by bag and and my egg sandwich was just two pieces of bread (they forgot the egg!)

MellowRoast
Re:They're making Krystals even thinner - Mon, 05/16/11 10:57 PM
Well, a couple of weeks ago in Nashville, I had fresh White Castles and Krystals side-by-side.  They were so close in flavor and appearance, I was taken by surprise.  If I'd been blindfolded, I would have been hard-pressed to tell which was which (other than Krystal automatically comes with yellow mustard).  While I believe Krystals tasted better before the Davenport family sold the chain, it was gratifying to observe there was no discernable difference in the quality of the burgers when both brands were fresh and on the table.  I was blown away and shook my head in disbelief.

That said, I still miss Krystal's icy chocolate shakes, Famous Krystal Coffee, cake doughnuts, waffles, homemade chili, and fried chicken.  Oh, yes, and the ceramic plates and mugs. 
<message edited by MellowRoast on Tue, 05/17/11 12:31 AM>

AndreaB
  • Total Posts : 1303
Re:They're making Krystals even thinner - Tue, 05/31/11 2:42 PM
They do seem to be skimping on the meat.  We always enjoyed them on our trek down 1-75 from Kentucky to Florida, but the one we always stop at in TN on our way down - er something was not as it used to be.  It did seem to be all condiments and bread with very thin meat.  We were disappointed as that Krystal was always very reliable.  We visited it in May.

Andrea

ces1948
Re:They're making Krystals even thinner - Tue, 05/31/11 4:11 PM
Maybe we should start ordering doubles to get the equal of the old singles.

AndreaB

They do seem to be skimping on the meat.  We always enjoyed them on our trek down 1-75 from Kentucky to Florida, but the one we always stop at in TN on our way down - er something was not as it used to be.  It did seem to be all condiments and bread with very thin meat.  We were disappointed as that Krystal was always very reliable.  We visited it in May.

Andrea

senor boogie woogie
  • Total Posts : 225
Re:They're making Krystals even thinner - Wed, 06/1/11 6:56 PM
I live in China and it has been almost 10 years since I have had a Krystal's. Not by choice. When I come back to the USA, this will be one of my first stops.

FollowTheBackRoads
  • Total Posts : 3
Re:They're making Krystals even thinner - Mon, 06/6/11 12:48 PM
Great to read that it's not just my imagination. Tried Krystal in Crossville, TN last fall and was shocked by how they'd changed by the time of my most recent Krystal visit in Brunswick, GA a couple of weeks ago.