150th Aniversary

Filet Mignon
2011/04/11 20:59:19
Tommrow morning @ 4.30 marks a dark day in our nations history, the start of the Cival War.
The losses on both sides were staggering not only to the soliders but familys, citys, townships and so on.
I'm not looking for debates on the whys or wherefors of this period, just a thought or prayer for those of both sides who paid the ultimite price. JIM 
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:150th Aniversary 2011/04/11 21:28:49
Smithsonian Magazine has this article about the events at Fort Sumter that began the kinetic military action.  A long read, but I thought it worthwhile.

Update: A secret from 4-13-61 is here (that's 1861).
post edited by JRPfeff - 2011/04/11 22:01:44
Re:150th Aniversary 2011/04/11 22:24:46
I live about 12 miles from Pickett's charge, it's mind boggeling to imagine it actually happened, Gettysburg, 45,000 casualities in the entire battle, all Americans, 3 days. This July 1-3. God have mercy on their souls!

post edited by chewingthefat - 2011/04/11 22:27:08
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:150th Aniversary 2011/04/11 22:45:00

Chewy - Does that look familiar?  A 50th anniversary reenactment of Picket's Charge.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:150th Aniversary 2011/04/11 22:46:12
I had family members fighting on both sides.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:150th Aniversary 2011/04/12 03:07:18
PBS has been running the Ken Burns Documentary of the Civil War. If you haven't seen it, try to catch it if it's still on. Outstanding factual descriptions of the events.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:150th Aniversary 2011/04/12 03:21:47

(M. Hoffman)- " I had family members fighting on both sides." 
 (Mayor Al)-  Younger Brothers, Perhaps ??? 
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
Re:150th Aniversary 2011/04/12 07:43:42
The 'Disunion' series in the New York Times has been particularly good, as well.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:150th Aniversary 2011/04/12 09:04:39
Cousins and uncles, Al. A couple younger and a few older.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:150th Aniversary 2011/04/12 12:18:14
My oldest son, who has never been much into reading or history etc. was really thrilled when for his 42 birthday last year I gave him a replica flag from the 1st. Missouri Volunteers CSA, which happened to be organized and led by Brigader General John Bowen (same name). He now follows stories of the Western Actions when he can. That is a major change in behavior for him !! All it takes is a link to history to make it come alive for many people !
I love the Ken Burns Series on the Civil War.
Jimeats
Filet Mignon
Re:150th Aniversary 2011/04/12 22:13:26
 A trip to D.C. a number of years ago with my wife we visted the battle field at Mannass, or Bull Run, depending on wich side you were on. At the vistors center there is a National Park employe that can look up and print a history [at a small fee]  of family names that were in battles all during the conflict.
Part of her family hails from Alabama and mine was from Mass. As the fellow printed out both historys he said to me that our ancestots had met on a battle field in Tenn and my ansetors sufferd a defeat that day. My reply was after all these years nothing has changed I haven;t won a battle yet.
If anyone visits that area a great restaurant in Mannasas is the Youkshire a true roadfood destination. Chow JIm  
Fieldthistle
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:150th Aniversary 2011/04/14 04:03:13
Hello All,
We have much history in the Shenandoah Valley
of Virginia during the Civil War.
Come and visit, plus you will find some good
Roadfood.
Take Care,
Fieldthistle
Sue in MtP
Junior Burger
Re:150th Aniversary 2011/04/15 21:18:56
I woke up to the sound of cannonfah frum Fawt Sumtah. Y'all!
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:150th Aniversary 2011/04/16 06:38:18
We enjoy the "Sound of Freedom" nightly when the Tank-Gunners are doing Night Firing on the ranges at Ft Knox, about 20 miles away. The ground shake and  the sound is like distant thunder. It is a very reassuring sound.
  I don't imagine our ancestors felt the same listening to the batteries firing anywhere during the Civil War.
Wabbit
Cheeseburger
Re:150th Aniversary 2011/04/16 12:31:09
As many of us remeber this day.. Please take a moment and respect the brave young Men and Women. They fought and lost so many Loved one's. Hard to imagine fighting your own family in War..I had Family on both sides.. My Great Uncle is a historian, he send's us a newsletter every so often.. Reading about your own family from that time period put's things in perspective.. Thank You Jimeats.

mollydingle
Cheeseburger
Re:150th Aniversary 2011/04/16 15:57:04
  I've been a Civil War buff ever since I can remember. I was the only little girl in my first grade class drawing pictures of Stonewall Jackson on his horse...
    On our former land in Maine is a small family (not mine) cemetery. There's a young man buried there from the 1st Maine Heavy Artillery. He was one of the many Union boys who fell at Cold Harbor. Until that terrible day, he'd had a fairly easy War, garrison duty defending DC. Grant pulled them out and put them on the front. Oddly enough, one of his fellow soldiers survived Cold Harbor and the War. In July 1865, he was home on leave and given the honor of firing the town's cannon to celebrate the Fourth. He'd been celebrating and managed to blow his arm off... I always wondered how he explained THAT to his CO.
 My father's family were Mennonite farmers near York, PA. I suspect they might have had a cornfield or two raided, but  that's as close as they came to battle.
  Mum's family were military, but British. My niece is off shooting Americans at Lexington Green this weekend...
CajunKing
Sirloin
Re:150th Aniversary 2011/04/30 21:00:44
My father now lives in Lebanon, TN.  He said that TN is doing a 4 year celebration.  Each TN battlefield will have its own celebration.  We are both civil war history nuts.  We have made plans for several of the battles and go to some of the celebrations.

Thomas Tinsley Heath - Brig General 5th Ohio Volunteer Cavalry is my GG Grandfather's brother. 

My GG Grandfather was William McKendree Heath Capt & Commander 5th OVC
Their graves are in Spring Grove Cemetery, Cincinnati, OH
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:150th Aniversary 2011/04/30 21:24:52
I spent some very interesting times around Fredericksburg, VA a few years ago. Explored "The Wilderness", site of the last battles of the War and visited the Stonewall Jackson Shrine, Spotsylvania and Chancellorsville. It put it in a whole different perspective, seeing the homes on and next to the battlefields. This was a war fought by neighbors and friends. 
BackAlleyBurger
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:150th Aniversary 2011/04/30 21:44:35
CajunKing My father now lives in Lebanon, TN.  He said that TN is doing a 4 year celebration.  Each TN battlefield will have its own celebration.  We are both civil war history nuts.  We have made plans for several of the battles and go to some of the celebrations.
 Thomas Tinsley Heath - Brig General 5th Ohio Volunteer Cavalry is my GG Grandfather's brother. 

hey cajun...... do you know the story of Franklin ?
Earl of Sandwich
Double Cheeseburger
Re:150th Aniversary 2011/05/01 09:07:25
I find the Civil War to be a fascinating era to read about.  It's a nice era to visit, I don't think I would have wanted to live there.
claracamille
Cheeseburger
Re:150th Aniversary 2011/05/01 11:20:35
I lived in WV until 1975 & grew up with stories about my great-great grandfather who fought for the North(not too many plantations in WV).   My mother has letters he wrote to his future wife(my great-great grandmother) while in the war.  Also, my mother's family farm was overrun several times both my the Union & Confederate forces.  The cattle & horses were taken up into the hills & my  great grandfather & his brother  stayed with the livestock, taking turns coming down to the farm in the night for food, etc. 
We have now been in IN for 36 years & here the Civil War is on the back burner with no battlefields, etc.  IN history starts in the 1800's not the 1700's & I miss WV.
CajunKing
Sirloin
Re:150th Aniversary 2011/05/04 15:42:50
BackAlleyBurger

CajunKing My father now lives in Lebanon, TN.  He said that TN is doing a 4 year celebration.  Each TN battlefield will have its own celebration.  We are both civil war history nuts.  We have made plans for several of the battles and go to some of the celebrations.

hey cajun...... do you know the story of Franklin ?

Yes, I have been to the battle of Franklin site several times.  There are some good RF places around to eat at when huungry

moabbs
Junior Burger
Re:150th Aniversary 2012/06/28 22:08:58
Hello CajunKing:
I was googling General Thomas Tinsley Heath and I read your post on Roadfood. I live in the house that General Thomas Tinsley Heath built in 1876 when he returned from the Civil War. I am always researching for new information about General Heath.  We have completely renovated the home back to its original state. If you have any information that you can share, it would be appreciated.
Thank You,
moabbs