Tastykake sold...

Double Chili Cheeseburger
2011/04/12 16:58:50
http://www.myfoxphilly.com/dpp/news/local_news/041110-tastykake-sold-to-georgia-bakery
There still going to be made in Philadelphia...for now!
bwave
Cheeseburger
Re:Tastykake sold... 2011/04/12 19:35:10
Thank GOD, hopefully they'll become edible again.   The portions had shrunk so far and the products are so flavorless.   I cussed myself everytime I gave them another chance hoping they'd learned from their mistakes.

Can't wait to bite into a real Jelly Krimpet or Peanut Butter Kandy Kake again.

How do you screw up making chocolate and peanut butter cakes??  

I'm so sick of products these days skimping on quality to save money.  Make the product the right way, then charge 30%-50% or whatever more than it costs you.   I'd rather pay $6 for a box of cakes than $3.89 for something completely unedible.

zeebaneighba
Hamburger
Re:Tastykake sold... 2011/04/12 22:33:23
I bought a box of peanut butter Kandy Kakes during a recent trip to Philadelphia.  I noticed that the peanut butter is a strip down the middle of the cake rather than the top being coated with peanut butter (the way I remembered it, anyway.)  They were still pretty good to my deprived Midwestern palate, but I'm sure there is a difference in taste for those who grew up eating Tastykake products.  It will be interesting to see what happens after this sale.
bellehill
Cheeseburger
Re:Tastykake sold... 2011/04/12 23:04:26
i knew i should have bought some stock..  
bellehill
Cheeseburger
Re:Tastykake sold... 2011/04/12 23:04:27
i knew i should have bought some stock..  
stanpnepa
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Tastykake sold... 2011/04/12 23:26:03
I don't know if being sold is going to help.  I'm sure the new company sees even "more earnings potential" and will make them even faster, blander. 

Haven't enjoyed a TastyKake in a long time.   Mom and Pop bakery snacks demolish the competition - not even close.
joclyn
Cheeseburger
Re:Tastykake sold... 2011/04/13 15:46:35
bwave

I'm so sick of products these days skimping on quality to save money.  Make the product the right way, then charge 30%-50% or whatever more than it costs you.   I'd rather pay $6 for a box of cakes than $3.89 for something completely unedible.

ditto that!!

and, sorry to inform you, tastykakes will NOT become more edible due to this merger - they'll become even less so and they'll also take production away from philly too - probably within 6 months. 

it's truly a shame to lose something so integral to philly.  up until now, there was hope that tastykake would get on the ball and bring back the quality to the products...that hope went up in ashes with this merger :(

mary21
Junior Burger
Re:Tastykake sold... 2012/02/23 10:12:17
I've been reading about Tastycakes and Banana Flips from the past and
have found Lucky Cakes. Does anyone remember them? I used to get them in
the 60's. I bought some online and they were exactly as I remember them and
they were fresh and didn't skimp on the family recipe.