Hipster Veal Pens

Nancypalooza
  • Total Posts : 3778
  • Reward points : 0
Hipster Veal Pens - Tue, 04/19/11 9:46 PM
I just happened to be in two such places recently, within a week of each other, and I thought I'd tell you about them with the obligatory swipe at hipsterdom to boot.

For those of you unfamiliar with the term, yes you know what a hipster is.  Or to paraphrase Justice Potter Stewart, you know one when you see them.  I'm always taken aback when I end up in a place rife with hipsters, but then I'm sitting here writing this wearing a 20 year old Maggie Simpson t-shirt, so I don't think my hands are 100 percent clean.

First place: I had occasion recently to have a Saturday evening dinner at The Federal in Durham, NC.  It's pretty nondescript and right in the middle of a very restaurant/bar heavy area.  It's apparently known for having both really good food and a very respectable selection of local and specialty beers.  There were four of us but I only had the nerve to take pictures of my and Julie's food.  I had the Italian sandwich (note not a sub) and fries:

Our friend Michele said something about the cured meats being locally sourced and they are delectable, salty and spicy and piggy, and with delicious fresh mozzarella to boot, but the fries were even better.  They're listed as garlic fries, but not in the obnoxious greasy mound of garlic vein.  They're perfect.  Julie went for the carnitas, also known to be a fave:

And she pronounced them good but not great.  The pork had a nice citrusy marinade going on but seems very soft and crock-pottish, if that's a word, and I think she's used to a barkier piece of pork when she orders carnitas.  The accompaniments, especially the guacamole, were very good.  Truthfully I think Julie was brought up a little short by the waitress forgetting to bring the cider she ordered.  This was otherwise a good waitress and she did do that very brief quizzical look thing once as she passed the table.

Our other dining companions had the chicken sandwich, very solid, and probably the star of the night was a cheeseburger, cooked as you like it, with gruyere and in a nice bun, with more of those terrific fries.

We were tucked behind a short wall at the door and were seated facing the bar, and I probably would not have become alarmed at the hipster quotient if lots of bearded, low-slung-jeans-wearing guys weren't going up to the bar while they waited.  We got out of there pretty quick, but the hipster thing came up again much later that same evening with a stop at the Raleigh Times in Raleigh.  I really only had part of a plate of nachos (pulled pork, very good) there, but that place was total hipster infestation.  Maybe I just need to get myself to larger cities now and again, and I wouldn't be so shocked.

So the next weekend we found ourselves in Atlanta looking for someplace to eat with some work colleagues of Julie's and the suggestion was made to try Flip Burger Boutique.  This is the joint where there is some level of participation by Richard Blais, the fauxhawked neurotic dude that just won Top Chef All-Stars.

We went as a party of eight and were afraid we'd have some trouble getting a table despite it being about eight on a Friday night and luckily one of the ladies was a smooth talker.  So we were seated pretty much right away at a largish boothy type thing against a wall, and given menus.  The menu apparently changes every day.  There are a rotating cast of about eight traditional-ish beef or lamb burgers, an equivalent number of 'flips' or sandwiches featuring other fillings, about six to eight salady type things that your mom or the ladieeez might like, a few sides that almost always include fries and onion rings, some very creative looking alcoholic drinks, and milkshakes.   Not just milkshakes, you Top Chef fans, but liquid nitrogen-produced concoctions, in some interesting flavors.  For instance the night we were there, a foie gras milkshake was available.

Again, only pictures of my and Julie's food.  I started off with a strawberry shortcake milkshake:

Which was absolutely excellent.  The 'shortcake' was in the form of what felt like cookie crumbs in the bottom, and it tasted homemade.  Fresh cream and strawberries--very very happy with the milkshake.  One decent sized glass for $6, and worth every penny.  Julie had the local burger:

Which was as you'd expect beef from a local source--again, they'll cook it to your order--with caramelized onions, pickles they made, and a very very nice bun.  People all around the table commented on the buns--maybe brioche-y, not too heavy, but enough to stand up to the food too.  I also think the ketchups and mayos are homemade; the mayo in particular is some smoked concoction that I think made an appearance on Top Chef, and it's addictively good.  The fries are as if the fellow running the fryer at Five Guys looked straight at you for when you wanted them out of the oil; they are perfect.

I had a hard time deciding but I settled on the simple bacon cheeseburger:

And the burger was pretty near perfect; more of those great pickles, really nice smoky bacon.  The 'flip' sauce is a silky dijon-meets-thousand-island stuff, good but not as good as that smoked mayo.  The one serious misstep here is the onion rings; they are listed on the menu as 'vocka battered' and it really makes you miss beer or whatever else anybody batters them in.  They have almost no taste, very light and tempura-ish, but not what you expect an onion ring, particularly someplace like this, to be.  The one true disappointment.

The star of the evening really turned out to be the milkshakes.  As I was working on my strawberry shortcake, a couple other folks at the table were having turtle milkshakes, which I tried, and they were suitably turtley.   Of course since we're sassy old ladies we had to ask the waiter (a patient hipster saint) if there was actual turtle in them.  (Well!  the foie gras!)  But after we had finished our food, one of Julie's colleagues asked for another of the milkshakes to go, this one made with Nutella and toasted marshmallows.  It came as we were sorting out the bill, and promptly got cracked into.  Oh.  My.  God.  I don't love Nutella but this thing was unbelievable, and the (I assume) torch-char on the marshmallows on top really made the whole thing taste like s'mores.  NOM.   Oh, I said 'nom.'  They got me.

Oh, the atmosphere.  Very cute and hipstery:

Except for the insistent BOMP-BOMP-BOMP gay bar music, altogether pleasant, even if I did feel a smidge old in there.

All summed up, both places were very good, and totally worth the self-loathing you might experience to eat there.  Flip Burger Boutique was actually less expensive than I thought it would be; I think the burgers were all 7 to 10 bucks, the sides 3 or 4, and the shakes 6, except for the foie gras which weighs in at 9 bucks.  And oh the shakes are worth it.   Just don't get those onion rings.

Anybody else got a hipster doofus habitat they'd like to describe, feel free to tack on.

buffetbuster
  • Total Posts : 9811
Re:Hipster Veal Pens - Tue, 04/19/11 10:10 PM
Strawberry shortcake milkshake?  Sign me up!  The idea of a nutella and toasted marshmallow shake doesn't hold much of an appeal, but I bet one sip would have me convinced.  How does a place that seems to do everything else well, so misfire on the onion rings?

As always, your report was really fun to read and wonderfully photographed!

Nancypalooza
Re:Hipster Veal Pens - Tue, 04/19/11 10:23 PM
I think it just goes to show that even people at the top of their craft screw up.  And I really wanted one of whatever cookie/biscuit they were sticking in that thing; it has a very specific spice taste to it that I can't place but was delicious.

Foodbme
  • Total Posts : 9584
Re:Hipster Veal Pens - Wed, 04/20/11 12:41 AM
I survived the Hippies, Flower Children and Beatniks but I had to research "Hipster Veal Pen" so now I'm Deck! Actually, they're not much different than the Hippies, Flower Children or Beatniks. Maybe just a little more disposable income.
In my day, you needed a Zoot Suit to be Hip! And you rolled your pack of cigarettes up in your Tee Shirt Sleeve.
<message edited by Foodbme on Wed, 04/20/11 12:43 AM>

Nancypalooza
Re:Hipster Veal Pens - Wed, 04/20/11 11:11 AM
Oh, I think they're all incarnations that youngsters of a certain class take on to stand out, but really end up working very hard to fit in.  You should totally go into one of those joints in your zoot suit. :)

MiamiDon
  • Total Posts : 4306
Re:Hipster Veal Pens - Wed, 04/20/11 12:02 PM
Hipsters:

rumaki
  • Total Posts : 968
Re:Hipster Veal Pens - Wed, 04/20/11 12:08 PM
The solution is not to try to fit in. Rise above the crowd!

Great report.

1bbqboy
  • Total Posts : 4542
Re:Hipster Veal Pens - Wed, 04/20/11 12:17 PM

ultimate hipster. 
<message edited by bill voss on Wed, 04/20/11 12:20 PM>

NascarDad
  • Total Posts : 336
Re:Hipster Veal Pens - Wed, 04/20/11 12:28 PM
Hmm, sometimes these kind of places have good food but usually I avoid them with kids in tow. Actually I guess one of my favorite places in Richmond's Far West End, the now closed DD33 was sort of a hipster place. And excellent takes on many foods, with sort of an asian fusion thing going on.

ann peeples
  • Total Posts : 8317
Re:Hipster Veal Pens - Wed, 04/20/11 12:36 PM
As usual, Nancy, a very well penned and superb pictorial. I always look forward to your reports!

Foodbme
Re:Hipster Veal Pens - Wed, 04/20/11 1:47 PM
MiamiDon

Hipsters:

OMG!!! I think that's my granddughter!!!

joerogo
  • Total Posts : 4469
Re:Hipster Veal Pens - Wed, 04/20/11 5:24 PM
bill voss

ultimate hipster. 

bill voss, Excellent post.  But, in order to get the "Ultimate Hipster", a little math is required.

Take this...

Plus this...

Equals this...

It's really a simple matter of, A + B = C, my friend.

<message edited by joerogo on Wed, 04/20/11 5:33 PM>

Greymo
  • Total Posts : 3668
Re:Hipster Veal Pens - Wed, 04/20/11 6:55 PM

zataar
  • Total Posts : 1440
Re:Hipster Veal Pens - Wed, 04/20/11 9:37 PM
Nancy, if you and Julie ever come to KC, we will take you to some hipster veal pens. KC is rife with the hipster places.
We would also take you to some BBQ places, but only if you insisted :-)

Nancypalooza
Re:Hipster Veal Pens - Wed, 04/20/11 9:59 PM
I keep waiting for the hipsters to discover barbecue . . well there's one such place here but I haven't gone.  I don't trust them with it.  If we make it to KC we will take you up on that Karen!
<message edited by Nancypalooza on Wed, 04/20/11 10:01 PM>

Foodbme
Re:Hipster Veal Pens - Thu, 04/21/11 3:45 AM
Nancypalooza

I keep waiting for the hipsters to discover barbecue . . well there's one such place here but I haven't gone.  I don't trust them with it.  If we make it to KC we will take you up on that Karen!

Spending their lives in a Veal Pen might make them adverse to eating BBQ! Professional Courtesy and such!

mr chips
  • Total Posts : 4715
Re:Hipster Veal Pens - Thu, 04/21/11 10:03 AM
Great report, Nancy.

Ralph Melton
  • Total Posts : 788
Re:Hipster Veal Pens - Thu, 04/21/11 11:22 AM
That smoked mayo sounds really great.

I'm not sure where I'd go to find a hipster veal pen in Pittsburgh. It's quite possible that I'm not even hip enough to recognize when I'm in one.

MiamiDon
  • Total Posts : 4306
Re:Hipster Veal Pens - Thu, 04/21/11 12:12 PM
After taking part in thoroughly hijacking your post...

I'd like to say that I enjoyed your report and photos Nancy!  That pile of carnitas looks like they forgot the oven-roasting step after the braising.  If it was just braised, yes, it would be Crock-potish!

joerogo
  • Total Posts : 4469
Re:Hipster Veal Pens - Thu, 04/21/11 12:30 PM
Hey Nancy,

I guess I'm a little bitguiltyof hijacking your thread also

Your reports are always fun and informative.  I just don't understand this new fangled Hipster stuff.  I'm still trying to find out Who put the Bomp in the Bomp Bomp Bomp?
 At my age, I'm almost a replacement HIPster!
<message edited by joerogo on Thu, 04/21/11 2:15 PM>

pnwchef
  • Total Posts : 2251
Re:Hipster Veal Pens - Thu, 04/21/11 1:07 PM
Nancy, great report.......I don't know about the "Ster" but you have always been Hip in my book..................pnwc

chewingthefat
  • Total Posts : 6103
Re:Hipster Veal Pens - Thu, 04/21/11 1:55 PM
Loved the report and pics, you do a great job, always!

Nancypalooza
Re:Hipster Veal Pens - Thu, 04/21/11 4:12 PM
Thanks, you adorable collection of old fogies.  Don, I think that's exactly it--no time under the roaster.  That totally makes sense.

Ahi Mpls.
  • Total Posts : 922
Re:Hipster Veal Pens - Fri, 04/22/11 8:27 AM
 Lovely! 
  I am all about those hipster pickles. 
  Have you noticed that true hipster joints usually eschew round plates and their forks are nearly always thricely tined?
 Those wacky kids. 

Nancypalooza
Re:Hipster Veal Pens - Fri, 04/22/11 10:48 AM
I had not, but it does not at all surprise me that you picked up on both those things, Dawnie.  I agree about the pickles--if you're gonna make your own (and make em good) you can dress as ridiculously as you want and I won't care. :)

DirtDude
  • Total Posts : 161
Re:Hipster Veal Pens - Fri, 04/22/11 11:13 AM
Nancy, what kind of camera and flash are you using? The picture of the Italian sandwich is perfect.

Nancypalooza
Re:Hipster Veal Pens - Fri, 04/22/11 3:47 PM
This is a new camera, a Casio Exilim--here's the flickr page with the full model info: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nancypalooza/5590263499/in/set-72157626306216735  But truthfully I think what you're liking is the daylight; we were right under a window, real pretty day, and it was about maybe 6pm.  Thanks!

EdSails
  • Total Posts : 3595
Re:Hipster Veal Pens - Fri, 04/22/11 4:22 PM
Wow, interesting that it gives so much info. I just looked and found I can access the EXIF info for my cam on Picasa. Thanks for the tip, Nancy!