Found this on costcoquest.blogspot.com, a great recipe taken from a restaurant in Vermont, part of the Vermont Fresh Network. These two explorers travel the country looking for such place. Good stuff. Enjoy!
Vermont Cheddar Ale Soup
* 1 garlic bulb, roasted
* 1 sweet onion, chopped & carmelized
* 1 red pepper, diced 1/4 inch pieces
* 1 carrot, peeled and diced 1/4 inch pieces
* 2 shallots thinly chopped
* 2 qt vegetable stock
* 1 pint heavy cream
* 2 pounds Grafton Cheddar, shredded
* 22 oz McNeill’s Firehouse Ale
* 3 large Yukon gold potatoes, diced 1/2 inch pieces
* 1/4 pound unsalted butter
* Extra virgin olive oil
1. Saute shallots, peppers, and carrots until soft in 2 T olive oil and 1 T butter.
2. Add bottle of beer and simmer 5 minutes.
3. Add carmelized onions, potatoes, stock and remaining butter.
4. Simmer until potatoes are tender, then turn off flame.
5. Add cream, roasted garlic and cheddar slowly with whisk.
6. Puree in blender.
7. Add salt & pepper to taste. Garnish with fresh chives and croutons.
Yields 1 gallon.