Ever find the Waffle House to be a bit confining?

Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Ever find the Waffle House to be a bit confining? 2011/05/08 11:57:09
I hope the scumbags are caught quickly.  Disgusting.   Several years ago, I was at eating at Denny's in Nashville about 9:00 p.m. when some armed thugs came in and demanded money from the safe.  Fortunately, customers were left alone, and we didn't realize anything had happened until they left.  I believe in the harshest possible justice for this.  (When I learned that armed robbers hit the Waffle House on Brainerd Rd. here, including customers, I never returned to that location.) 
Re:Ever find the Waffle House to be a bit confining? 2011/05/08 12:13:18
Caught lined up, thrown into large wood chipper, 5 minutes, gone, continue till every predator is extinct
jajarino68
Cheeseburger
Re:Ever find the Waffle House to be a bit confining? 2011/05/08 21:50:28

I was in a Waffle House just the other day. I sat in the back far corner. I sat facing the entrance, but I thought if something were to go down, whether it be an attempted robbery or a fire, what was my egress. I was trapped back there with no way out. They should put an alternate emergency exit on that side of the building.
Scorereader
Sirloin
Re:Ever find the Waffle House to be a bit confining? 2011/05/11 11:18:22
I have yet to find an acceptable Affle House. I'm told the one in Frederick, MD is quite good. When I go, it'll be my last ditch effort to see any redeemable value in this chain. The only reason I'll do it, is because several roadfooders, whose opinions seem valid, seem to like - dare I say they are enarmored with - this chain. So, far, I have yet to be sold that this is anything but a filthy mess of a chain.
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Ever find the Waffle House to be a bit confining? 2011/05/11 13:15:47
I like Waffle House.  A robbery can occur anywhere. I hope to be back again.

However, there is a restaurant here in Los Angeles called Hu's Szechwan Restaurant that I can't visit.  It's purported to be one of the best Szechwan restaurants in the city.

A robbery, murder took place there.

I know that the odds are against it happening again, but...
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Ever find the Waffle House to be a bit confining? 2011/05/11 13:45:08
You'd better stay out of Umberto's Clam House then.
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Ever find the Waffle House to be a bit confining? 2011/05/11 13:51:47
What I don't know won't hurt.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Ever find the Waffle House to be a bit confining? 2011/05/11 14:04:43
Well, I heard they filled in the bullet holes before they moved to a new location.
Re:Ever find the Waffle House to be a bit confining? 2011/05/11 17:33:00
Scorereader

I have yet to find an acceptable Affle House. I'm told the one in Frederick, MD is quite good. When I go, it'll be my last ditch effort to see any redeemable value in this chain. The only reason I'll do it, is because several roadfooders, whose opinions seem valid, seem to like - dare I say they are enarmored with - this chain. So, far, I have yet to be sold that this is anything but a filthy mess of a chain.

Score, the one in Frederick may indeed have good food, the neighborhood it's in is the highest crime rated area in Frederick. The wise people who run the fair city, tore down all the public housing about 10 years ago and relocated the swell folks to a beautiful area which includes the Waffle house, and at one time the busiest Mall in Frederick, which currently has no tenants, it's a great area to get carjacked or mugged. MS13 a big presence here along with many run of the mill predators...beauty in this area, is skin deep.

Greymo
Filet Mignon
Re:Ever find the Waffle House to be a bit confining? 2011/05/11 18:43:57
Tom,  which Frederick location are you talking about?  There are  three in the area.  I  guess I am assuming that you are  speaking on the one on E, Patrick Street? 

That is where I go all the time;   alone  and with small ones in tow.  I have never felt the  least bit uncomfortable in this area and have never seen  anything  or  anyone  that might  alarm me.  The  kids love the friendly service that we get at this location!
post edited by Greymo - 2011/05/11 18:45:24
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Ever find the Waffle House to be a bit confining? 2011/05/11 19:10:01
I don't know where Scorereader finds the Waffle House restaurants he descibes. I can recall just one Waffle House where I thought things were dirty and the staff painfully bad. That was in Wytheville, Virginia. Every other Waffle House I've ever been in, from Ohio to Florida, and including places from Alabama to Missouri, has been clean, neat, and with a staff that's been friendly and helpful.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Ever find the Waffle House to be a bit confining? 2011/05/11 20:20:50
Michael Hoffman

I don't know where Scorereader finds the Waffle House restaurants he descibes. I can recall just one Waffle House where I thought things were dirty and the staff painfully bad. That was in Wytheville, Virginia. Every other Waffle House I've ever been in, from Ohio to Florida, and including places from Alabama to Missouri, has been clean, neat, and with a staff that's been friendly and helpful.

Same here.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Scorereader
Sirloin
Re:Ever find the Waffle House to be a bit confining? 2011/05/12 11:13:38
chewingthefat

Scorereader

Score, the one in Frederick may indeed have good food, the neighborhood it's in is the highest crime rated area in Frederick. The wise people who run the fair city, tore down all the public housing about 10 years ago and relocated the swell folks to a beautiful area which includes the Waffle house, and at one time the busiest Mall in Frederick, which currently has no tenants, it's a great area to get carjacked or mugged. MS13 a big presence here along with many run of the mill predators...beauty in this area, is skin deep.

You may not have noticed from the most recent Five Guys conversation, based upon where I live, I'm not too worried about the neighborhood a restaurant is located. If the restaurant is good, I'll go. Low income and gangs don't bother me. I don't do drugs, I don't sell drugs. Usually, those who are shot, it's over drugs and drug running. Sure, I've been mugged. It sucked. But I put myself in an exposed position for that situation. Outside of that, even in the rough neighborhoods, where I've partaken in soul food (during the day, of course) I've never been bothered.

Scorereader
Sirloin
Re:Ever find the Waffle House to be a bit confining? 2011/05/12 11:30:10
Michael Hoffman

Greensboro, NC Triad Region - dotted along I-85 - I've been to Several from Thomasville to Elon.

Richmond Area dotted along 95 and 64. The one in Richmond city was particularly heinous.

Pennsylvania north of Scranton - the kitchen was a mess, the floors were a mess, the bathroom was wiped down, but streaks, a lightly rank smell (not simply the person before me - was more like wet socks), and a clogged sink. I had to ask for new silverware, because my knife and fork were greasy.

SW Virginia dotted along I-81. It may have been Whytheville. Roanoke near US 220 wasn't particularly great either.

And, I've shown countless issues of kitchen and dining area issues over the years. And others have commented as well. So, it's not that the information hasn't been made available. Staff has always been friendly. Food has been just ok. I had grits in NC that were god-awful. So bad, I almost stopped eating grits altogether.

I'd like to know where all these clean ones are.

The one in Frederick I was speaking about, I was told, is the one close to Rt. 15 exit. There are several other chain restaurants near this Waffle House.

You may ask, why did I go back all these times. Usually, except for two times when we were travelling and it was the only place open, I was with a group of people and that was the group's choice. I was, essentially, out voted. They were all southern people who grew up on WH. The one in PA was on Christmas morning.  I appreciated they were open - the only place to be open, but it was pretty bad.

MellowRoast
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Ever find the Waffle House to be a bit confining? 2011/05/13 06:18:16
I’ve also found Waffle House to be an excellent ‘round-the-clock choice for breakfast. I can point to a couple of locations that weren’t up to par, but I can do that with any chain (other than, perhaps, Chick-Fil-A).  However, if a Waffle House and Huddle House were located side by side, I’d probably lean toward Huddle.
post edited by MellowRoast - 2011/05/13 06:25:16
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
Re:Ever find the Waffle House to be a bit confining? 2011/05/13 11:21:21
chewingthefat

Scorereader

There appear to be three Waffle House restaurants in Frederick:

5646 Buckeystown Pike
8906 Fingerboard Road
1374 East Patrick Street

Which one is the dangerous one?
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Ever find the Waffle House to be a bit confining? 2011/05/13 11:21:49
I like Huddle House. I haven't been to one in several years, but I've always liked the ones I've been to.
Re:Ever find the Waffle House to be a bit confining? 2011/05/13 11:39:22
 Greymo, I'm wrong, It's Denny's on 40 west that is in a dead zone! Mea Culpa!
post edited by chewingthefat - 2011/05/13 11:48:57
jackseason
Junior Burger
Re:Ever find the Waffle House to be a bit confining? 2011/05/20 15:20:24
Shouldv'e been bankers...
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:Ever find the Waffle House to be a bit confining? 2011/05/21 10:55:24
jackseason

Shouldv'e been bankers...

The quote like that I remember is:  "I should have been a farmer.  Winter wheat - the greenest stuff I ever saw ... "

Welcome to Roadfood!

Enjoy!
senor boogie woogie
Cheeseburger
Re:Ever find the Waffle House to be a bit confining? 2011/06/14 09:18:56
I think that the quality of the Waffle House is by who is the manager and the regional manager of the stores. All the ones I have ever been to since High School has been a good experience, good, cheap food, good service, with signature foods such as waffles and those hash browns. The place is open 24 hours a day and they will make whatever you want. I even loved the smell of the place.

Do they still allow smoking? I smoke (a bit), and did more when I was younger, and I see as a drawback to the place. If the place did get robbed or some maniac came in there shooting wildly with a gun, that building would not be the best place to be. I will say for a fact that most all these type of businesses, especially on the highways offer law enforcement free coffee and stuff to keep them around. A lot of these places also had a security man nearby in the lot who is a moonlighting cop from some small town making a few extra bucks.

Now, I have been away for the past 10 years living in China, so I dont know what it is like now, but I cannot see it being that much different. I worked in a restaurant back in the 1990's where their line cooked moonlighted at Waffle House because they actually paid good money, because being a line cook there was a skilled position, the cook might be making 5, 8 even 10 different orders by himself or sharing with another line cook.

I miss Waffle House a lot and have in the past looked up their website.