Morel Pie

6star
  • Total Posts : 4388
  • Reward points : 0
Morel Pie - Sun, 05/8/11 12:51 PM
I know that one of the ingredients (morel mushrooms) for this recipe won't be available for many of you, but since I had never heard of a morel pie and this recipe was published in today's Peoria Journal-Star, I thought some of you might find it interesting.  They said it was adapted from a recipe of Chef Michael Higgins of Maldaner's Restaurant in Springfield (IL).  Since I am personally not a morel hunter, I have not tried this recipe.

1 pre-baked pie shell
Dijon mustard
1/4 lb. butter
1 sweet onion (Vadalia preferred), julienned
1/2 lb. morel mushrooms (from the accompanying picture, probably coarsely chopped)
1/2 tsp. thyme
1 cup grated Parmegiano
2 cups cream (not half & half)
2 eggs, lightly beaten
salt & pepper, to taste
1 cup cracker crumbs

- Brush pre-baked pie shell with Dijon mustard and sprinkle with some of the grated cheese.  Heat in the oven at 350 degrees until the cheese melts.
- Saute onions in butter until soft.  Add morels and cook until they are soft and half of the juice has reduced.
- Add thyme, cream and remaining cheese.  Simmer; then add the beaten eggs.  Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour mixture into pie shell.  Sprinkle cracker crumbs on top.
- Bake at 350 degrees until top is brown and custard is set.  Cool before cutting.

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17832
Re:Morel Pie - Sun, 05/8/11 1:01 PM
That's nice. I'm allergic to mushrooms, but I used to hunt morels to cook for my wife and the kids. I found some morels recently while in the woods, but not having anyone for whom to prepare them I let them be.

agnesrob
  • Total Posts : 1790
Re:Morel Pie - Sun, 05/8/11 1:49 PM
Lucky wife! If we lived closer I'd ask you to pick them and send them on over!
<message edited by agnesrob on Sun, 05/8/11 1:52 PM>

agnesrob
  • Total Posts : 1790
Re:Morel Pie - Sun, 05/8/11 2:10 PM
6star that recipe looks great!

6star
  • Total Posts : 4388
Re:Morel Pie - Sun, 05/8/11 2:33 PM
In the same article, titled "Natural Delicacies" there was also a recipe for Garlic Mustard Pesto using garlic mustard, an invasive species.  If anyone would like that recipe, let me know and I will post it also.