Perfect Lox and Bagel Platter

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 61 to 64 of 64
Twinwillow
  • Total Posts : 4899
  • Reward points : 0
Re:Perfect Lox and Bagel Platter - Wed, 05/11/11 10:10 PM
brisketboy

Thanks Twinwillow, unfortunately as with many starting ventures success was it's own worst enemy. When Manny Hattan's first opened up they were a passable deli mimicing the NY style. They had good pastrami, corned beef sandwiches excellent half-sours and lox and bagels. They have of late sucumbed to the ever enroaching yuppydom and redid their business model and the NY deli is no more. All the sandwiches are now named for local celebs and I suspect they may be closing their doors soon. Damn shame too.

So, what's in a "Michael Dell"? (LOL) Let me know if you're coming to Dallas and I'll direct you to Deli-News. It's (almost) as good as any deli in NYC.

Twinwillow
  • Total Posts : 4899
Re:Perfect Lox and Bagel Platter - Wed, 05/11/11 10:20 PM
Trask

Twinwillow

When I was 21 and living in NYC, I started dating a girl whose father owned a large smoked fish company in Brooklyn. The best part of dating her was being invited over to her house on Sunday mornings and eating all the Nova and Sturgeon I could handle. I should have married that girl!

If that was Montrose Fish Market, my grandfather worked there (50's).  & yes, the lox, sable, etc. were good & plentiful !!

Well, this was 50 years ago in 1961. I couldn't remember the name of the family or their business if my life depended on it. I do remember that the girls father was a restaurant and retail supplier. Not, a retailer himself.

Trask
  • Total Posts : 114
Re:Perfect Lox and Bagel Platter - Thu, 05/12/11 1:05 PM
Twinwillow

Trask

Twinwillow

When I was 21 and living in NYC, I started dating a girl whose father owned a large smoked fish company in Brooklyn. The best part of dating her was being invited over to her house on Sunday mornings and eating all the Nova and Sturgeon I could handle. I should have married that girl!

If that was Montrose Fish Market, my grandfather worked there (50's).  & yes, the lox, sable, etc. were good & plentiful !!

Well, this was 50 years ago in 1961. I couldn't remember the name of the family or their business if my life depended on it. I do remember that the girls father was a restaurant and retail supplier. Not, a retailer himself.

That's what this place was. Strictly processing & supplying. Had a tour of the place in about '55. Believe the outfit moved to Portland, Or  not too far from me now.

DawnT
  • Total Posts : 1286
Re:Perfect Lox and Bagel Platter - Thu, 06/23/11 9:59 PM
Well, it took a while, but Empire did write me back regarding the so-called Schmaltz/Rendered Chicken Fat product that Ed posted here. It is NOT Schmaltz in the sense that it was rendered in a pan like conventional schmaltz with onions and maybe garlic, but boiled fat skimmings as I recalled from the place that I worked. Here's the text of their return e-mail:
Thank you for contacting Empire Kosher Poultry, Inc.You are correct.  It is from boiling and skimming. 
Sincerely, 

Consumer Affairs Department
Empire Kosher Poultry, Inc.

This is precisely what we used in our chopped liver & chicken salad and what many Deli's and institutional kitchens used including their Matzo balls and anything else that called for schmaltz.

EdSails

DawnT

The fat from the top was ladled out and put in the walk-in. That rendered fat from the stock was used like schmaltz. Whole point is the smoothing characteristics of chicken fat. Whenever we did whole chickens for chicken salad we did the same. 

Leftover boiled fat is not schmaltz. Schmaltz is rendered, slow fried with the onions. You need a lot of skin and fat to do it. I think I'm going to just buy it--------I don't have a dozen chicken's worth of fat and skin to make schmaltz. 

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 61 to 64 of 64