Hot!corned beef hash

Double Cheeseburger
2011/05/08 23:57:13
had some his morning at a place called taylors kitchen here...a great big bowl of perfectly cooked corned beef with  tender potatos but they did not grill the whole mixture before serving..it was a big bowl of corned beef and potatos- I like mine crusty from the grill- what do ya'll think?
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:corned beef hash 2011/05/09 00:08:43
I think they don't know how to serve corned beef hash.

Next time tell them how you want it.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:corned beef hash 2011/05/09 00:49:26
Crispy from the grill with a little bit of onion in it and 2 poached eggs on top.
Our son took his Mother, (& me) out for Mom's Day brunch today at T.C. Eggington's Brunchery in Mesa, AZ.
http://www.tcegg.com/
It's a "Skip & Buffy" place, but good. I had a Crab Stuffed Pastry - fresh baked pastry shells stuffed with artichoke hearts and lotsa crab meat, topped with poached eggs and hollandaise sauce. Homefries and fruit on the side. Very Good! $8.95.
EdSails
Filet Mignon
Re:corned beef hash 2011/05/09 05:29:27
californyguy

had some his morning at a place called taylors kitchen here...a great big bowl of perfectly cooked corned beef with  tender potatos but they did not grill the whole mixture before serving..it was a big bowl of corned beef and potatos- I like mine crusty from the grill- what do ya'll think?

Without the crusting, hash has no character. Plus, the crusting carmelizes the hash, bringing out some nice sweetness. 
mickie49
Junior Burger
Re:corned beef hash 2011/05/09 07:47:01
Had a wonderful corned beef hash omelet Saturday morning!  Hash had been grilled on the flat top to give it a nice crust first,  then added to a 3 egg omelet!  served with wonderful home fries and sourdough rye toast.  Great breakfast treat at the Java Jungle restaurant in Dansville, New York!
the ancient mariner
Filet Mignon
Re:corned beef hash 2011/05/09 08:14:58

Just like in old folks--- without crust there is no character.
pnwchef
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:corned beef hash 2011/05/09 08:18:38
EdSails

californyguy

Without the crusting, hash has no character. Plus, the crusting carmelizes the hash, bringing out some nice sweetness. 

Without the crust it's dog food.........
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:corned beef hash 2011/05/09 08:21:25
Most people, when they wake up, do something useful. How come you're on here?
pnwchef
Re:corned beef hash 2011/05/09 09:12:21
Michael Hoffman

Most people, when they wake up, do something useful. How come you're on here?

I'm getting tired of the view from the hill, I thought I would crawl down to your level.....
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:corned beef hash 2011/05/09 09:30:45
Ah, examining your inner subterranean self.
pnwchef
Re:corned beef hash 2011/05/09 09:39:51
Michael Hoffman

I hope there is Lobster and Clams in the Subterranean, I'm missing Lobster rolls and fried clams. I need to make a trip next year
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:corned beef hash 2011/05/09 09:55:57
PNWCHEF

Michael Hoffman

I hope there is Lobster and Clams in the Subterranean, I'm missing Lobster rolls and fried clams. I need to make a trip next year

I was planning to go this year. There's still a chance it might happen -- I hope.

Of course you realize this gives Voss another shot at men who are older than he is, and at Connecticut.

joerogo
Filet Mignon
Re:corned beef hash 2011/05/09 10:30:38
Gotta be crispy, and preferably homemade.

Who is this Voss person that you mention?
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:corned beef hash 2011/05/09 10:34:11
Nice hash.

Voss? Oh, just someone purporting to be charming.
Holly Moore
Cheeseburger
Re:corned beef hash 2011/05/09 10:45:40
Corned beef has seems to predominate in New England.  It's almost always homemade and on the menu at diners and places that specialize in breakfast.  Elsewhere, not as much.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:corned beef hash 2011/05/09 10:48:10
As a native New Englander living in hash-deprived central Ohio I am well aware of the "not so much" part. 
pnwchef
Re:corned beef hash 2011/05/09 11:03:11
Best homemade Corned beef hash I have had in years was in Jackson Hole, Wy. It was at a Boutique Hotel that included breakfast, named the Rusty Parrot. Nothing like homemade Hash, they also had a Eggs  Benedict served on a croissant, much better than a English muffin....I don't know who came up with the english muffin idea in the first place...pnwc
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:corned beef hash 2011/05/09 11:16:00
It was I. It's a long, long story, but the fact is, I was having an English muffin one morning in the Yankee Doodle Coffee Shop in New Haven before school and I thought, "Y'know, if you were to top each half of this thing with Canadian bacon, and then top both slices of the Canadian bacon with poached eggs, that would be great." And then I thought, "Wait just a darned minute. How 'bout napping the whole thbing with a sauce -- maybe Hollandaise. Yeah, that's it." But then I had to head off to Hillhouse for my first class and someone stole my idea, added a slice of black truffle atop the Hollandaise, and that was that.
post edited by Michael Hoffman - 2011/05/09 11:18:29
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re:corned beef hash 2011/05/09 11:48:04
the ancient mariner

Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re:corned beef hash 2011/05/09 11:52:58
As done at the Crossroads Diner in Dallas: Home made, crispy, and two medium cooked  poached eggs on top. 
pnwchef
Re:corned beef hash 2011/05/09 12:13:17
Michael Hoffman

It was I. It's a long, long story, but the fact is, I was having an English muffin one morning in the Yankee Doodle Coffee Shop in New Haven before school and I thought, "Y'know, if you were to top each half of this thing with Canadian bacon, and then top both slices of the Canadian bacon with poached eggs, that would be great." And then I thought, "Wait just a darned minute. How 'bout napping the whole thbing with a sauce -- maybe Hollandaise. Yeah, that's it." But then I had to head off to Hillhouse for my first class and someone stole my idea, added a slice of black truffle atop the Hollandaise, and that was that.

About that time, I was tossing the football with an "Old friend John" from Hyannis Port. I yelled at him, and asked if he was a resident, he yelled back, did you say President. I said, yah right, like that would ever happen...............
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:corned beef hash 2011/05/09 12:18:50
Wow! You must be a lot older than I would have thought. Perhaps you should change your screen name to the AncientPNWCHEF.
joerogo
Filet Mignon
Re:corned beef hash 2011/05/09 13:56:33
Twinwillow
As done at the Crossroads Diner in Dallas: Home made, crispy, and two medium cooked  poached eggs on top. 

Like this?

mar52
Sirloin
Re:corned beef hash 2011/05/09 14:15:11
the ancient mariner

I also like this statement!  
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:corned beef hash 2011/05/09 14:38:39
I'm feeling better now.

I mean, being old I'm feeling better because I just got my yard mowed with my finally-fixed lawn tractor..
post edited by Michael Hoffman - 2011/05/09 14:39:57
Re:corned beef hash 2011/05/09 17:30:25
PNWCHEF

EdSails

californyguy

Without the crust it's dog food.........

My thoughts exactly!

Re:corned beef hash 2011/05/09 17:32:26
joerogo

Twinwillow

Like this?

WOW, WOW, WOW! I need that!

pnwchef
Re:corned beef hash 2011/05/09 18:35:08
Joerogo, that says it all
californyguy
Double Cheeseburger
Re:corned beef hash 2011/05/09 19:27:40
Michael Hoffman

I think they don't know how to serve corned beef hash.

Next time tell them how you want it.

Good Idea Mr H..it really was outstanding as far as amount of meat -potato mixture except for that all important last step...this place though is kind of foo foo- has a chef instead of a cook- if they balk ,I'll walk...We have another breakfast place in town where the chef refuses to serve ketchup because his dishes `do not need condiments'...I decided his plave does not need me , thoughI have heard there is a brisk biz in black market ketchup packets in the parking lot!   
Samsummers
Junior Burger
Re:corned beef hash 2011/12/27 18:32:24
Oh you guys are making me hungry nothing better than corned beef and eggs!
mrclean
Junior Burger
Re:corned beef hash 2011/12/27 23:01:14
Can't wait to do this on my new 36" Blackstone Griddle. Looks great

Academy Sports has this griddle on sale this week for $199.99. Might be the deal of the year. Picked one up and was very lucky to get it. They are very hard to find.
post edited by mrclean - 2011/12/27 23:23:37
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:corned beef hash 2011/12/28 01:12:01
mrclean

Can't wait to do this on my new 36" Blackstone Griddle. Looks great

Academy Sports has this griddle on sale this week for $199.99. Might be the deal of the year. Picked one up and was very lucky to get it. They are very hard to find.

Amazon.com has the 36" Blackstone Griddle Top for $98.97 and free shipping!

hatteras04
Re:corned beef hash 2011/12/28 13:54:42
Michael Hoffman

As a native New Englander living in hash-deprived central Ohio I am well aware of the "not so much" part. 

I share your pain on this but I did discover a place in Westerville called The Best Breakfast and Sandwiches that makes their own corned beef.  It was featured on that PBS about breakfast and I finally made it there a couple of weeks ago.  The hash was really good and they do fry it up pretty well.  You get a ton of it.  Though since it is really large chunks I can't say that it got really crispy like some of the other ones shown here.  There is a picture on this review done by a local blogger ( I beleive he was also featured in that PBS special):

http://breakfastwithnick.wordpress.com/2009/11/29/the-best-breakfast-and-sandwiches-westerville-oh/
Michael Stern
Re:corned beef hash 2011/12/28 14:41:41
New England definitely is hash central, but Milwaukee -- a great corned beef city -- also has what I consider to be some of the best corned beef hash anywyere, at McBob's. It is as luscious as they come.

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:corned beef hash 2011/12/28 15:50:57
Thanks hatteras04. I'll head up that way tomorrow.

buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:corned beef hash 2011/12/28 16:23:32
Michael-
Oh, that corned beef at McBob's looks great.  It is so different from any other corned beef I have had, it is almost like a completely seperate dish. 
Ketteract
Cheeseburger
Re:corned beef hash 2013/05/25 07:54:46
I wasn't too familiar with corned beef hash before moving to Connecticut.  I've tried it at a few different places.  The best I've had so far has been at the Cromwell Diner:

They also do a chorizo hash, and I love chorizo, but it just tasted off to me somehow:

Here's Mitchell's on Main's take. I wasn't too impressed by it.  Maybe I just don't like crusty hash:

I liked the Olympia Diner's even less.  Very mushy:

I wasn't sure what condiment to use, but ketchup turned out to work very well.  Liberal amounts of it helped lift up the last two.
post edited by Ketteract - 2013/05/25 08:32:14
Earl of Sandwich
Double Cheeseburger
Re:corned beef hash 2013/05/25 11:53:40
Excellent photos making me hungry.  I love corned beef hash especially if it's homemade.  I make a mean CBH myself.
Ketteract
Cheeseburger
Re:corned beef hash 2013/07/18 08:22:03
Fresh from this morning at Even Stephen in Berlin, CT:

Not quite as good as Cromwell's, but well-cooked all the same, and far above Olympia's mush.

Cozy little place, too.  This thread says they have creamed chipped beef on Sundays, so I'm definitely going back for that.  I can't remember the last time I saw that served anywhere.

Phildelmar
Double Cheeseburger
Re:corned beef hash 2013/07/18 09:01:10
Great thread, great pictures
josefinajoisey
Hamburger
Re:corned beef hash 2013/07/25 14:04:49
Just came back from a short road trip to Saratoga, NY to spend a day (losing) at the races.  Stumbled on "The Kettle" - great place for breakfast and lunch, but mostly great for their home made corned beef hash.  Nice and crispy, large portion, and best of all, I was able to bring some home for leftovers!
http://thekettlerestaurant.com/
Tex-Max
Cheeseburger
Re:corned beef hash 2013/08/02 22:38:18
This looks like a good Saturday morning venture!  Just starting to explore the area but I haven't heard of The Kettle.  
lpatinga
Junior Burger
Re:corned beef hash 2013/08/05 04:58:02
While I'm more familiar with roast beef hash than corned beef, my favorite is ground rather than chunked and a crust is necessary.  No eggs for me but the condiment of choice is A1. 
rneiner
Hamburger
Re:corned beef hash 2013/08/05 07:59:31
I love corned beef hash and poached eggs but had some potato pancakes and eggs this weekend in Las Vegas very good.
sandrew834
Hamburger
Re:corned beef hash 2013/09/19 08:21:11
I made the corned beef hash yesterday…easy & delicious! I cook my 1/2 head of cabbage and add 1 onion chopped with a can of tomatoes and then the can of cornbeef. I make a slaw from the rest of the cabbage. This is a good and quick meal. Hope you enjoy it.
Earl of Sandwich
Double Cheeseburger
Re:corned beef hash 2013/09/20 10:36:46
Excellent photos making me very hungry.  Not much beter than homemade corned beef hash.
ScreamingChicken
Filet Mignon
Re:corned beef hash 2014/03/25 14:06:18
I had some interesting CBH a couple of weeks ago at the Cherry Valley Cafe in Cherry Valley, IL.  As far as I could tell it was corned beef, onions, and green peppers, and was served on top of hash browns.  I don't think I've ever seen it this way before, but it definitely did not come from a can!

Phildelmar
Double Cheeseburger
Re:corned beef hash 2014/03/25 14:39:22
Looks great