What is the actual difference between Coney, Chili, and Michigan Sauce?

Junior Burger
2011/05/12 15:42:45
Hi to all,
I have been doing a lot of reading but seem confused right now.  What are the distinctive differences between authentic Coney Sauce, Chili Sauce and Michigan Sauce? 

Some people are stating that Coney sauce has no chili powder and yet I have seen several Coney sauce recipes with chili powder.  I have read authentic Coney sauce does not have any tomato products and again found recipes with tomato products. 

Is the Michigan sauce really the same as Coney sauce? 

So much confusion....please help!!!
claracamille
Cheeseburger
Re:What is the actual difference between Coney, Chili, and Michigan Sauce? 2011/05/14 08:32:57
I can only speak about West Virginia hot dog chili.  Typically the chili is made from ground beef, minced onion, tomato sauce, salt, chili powder.  The recipe is different from town to town, family to family.  My recipe comes from my grandmother passed to my mother then to me.  My mother(age 89) says that the first time she remembers having 4 -H club "wiener roasts" in the 1930's".  I have been in Indiana 37 years & have been having wiener roasts here all the time.  I have converted many Hoosiers to West Virginia hotdogs.