Want some salt with that Burger?

Cheeseburger
2011/05/19 18:01:34
I did a quick check of salt content of basic burgers at several fast food places - adjusted for a 1/4 basic burger (113.5 gm), the equivalent mg / 1/4 lb burger  came out to be 184 mg for Five guys, 304 for IN and OUT,  428 mg for Wendy's, 516 for Hardees and a whopping 590 mg for McDonalds.

In comparison, the reported salt on a medium order of McDonald fries (117 gm) is 270 mg - less than half the sodium content of their basic burger.

post edited by mjambro - 2011/05/19 18:13:50
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Want some salt with that Burger? 2011/05/19 19:19:34
I guess it is my age but I do not salt anything anymore.  Too much edema in my ankles.  Salt is out as much as I like it.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Want some salt with that Burger? 2011/05/20 03:47:04
So, how does this equate to what a persons normal daily intake should be? 
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Want some salt with that Burger? 2011/05/20 03:52:15
Foodbme

Personally I cannot answer that but my MD indicated that in my personal use, salt is certainly diminished.  My guess is that it varies from person to person and certainly with age. 

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Want some salt with that Burger? 2011/05/20 04:17:20
Sundancer7
Foodbme

Personally I cannot answer that but my MD indicated that in my personal use, salt is certainly diminished.  My guess is that it varies from person to person and certainly with age. 
Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

The problem is that salt is hidden in almost every type of processed food and especially in restaurants. At least packaged foods show salt content if you look at the labels. Even the "Low Sodium" stuff has a fair amount of salt in it. About the only things I salt anymore are scrambled eggs and fresh tomatoes. Gotta have salt on tomatoes!
mjambro
Cheeseburger
Re:Want some salt with that Burger? 2011/05/20 08:09:22
Foodbme

The American Heart Association recommends a restriction of dietary sodium to 3,000 milligrams (3 grams) per day where the average American ingests two to four times that much.

Change that basic hamburger (MacDonalds meal) to a cheeseburger, add a medium order of fries with two packets of ketchup and a medium diet Coke  and you get 1210 mg of salt.  Change that single cheeseburger to a quarter pounder with cheese and that meal works out to 1710 mg.

Switch out that diet Coke for a 16 oz chocolate shake with the quarter pounder, etc and you're up to 1980 mg in just one meal.

A basic child's meal of a simple cheeseburger, small fry & low-fat chocolate milk = 1060 mg.  Suggested salt intake for a 4-8 year old seems to range from 1200 - 1500 mg/day.  More sets the stage for high blood pressure later in life.
post edited by mjambro - 2011/05/20 08:59:09
brisketboy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Want some salt with that Burger? 2011/05/20 10:31:30
I can only speak for myself and the family but our routines have changed over the past several years. We're eating in and not buying any processed food. I've put in several raised bed gardens and we've cut way down on sugar and sodium. I'll porbably feel really silly at age 95 lying in bed dying of nothing.
sk bob
Re:Want some salt with that Burger? 2011/05/20 21:26:08
I've never read a nutrition label in my life& I'm not about to start.
I'm 54 yrs. old, average health, I smoke,I drink beer, love rare red meat seasoned with salt.
I don't care about all that healthy stuff. I eat what I like & enjoy it.
they say"you can add 5 yrs. to your life if you live a healthy lifestyle"
If I live 20 more years doing what I'm doing, Ive enjoyed myself & had a great time OR live 25 yrs. miserably.
I'll take the 20 yrs. 
Root-Beer Man
Cheeseburger
Re:Want some salt with that Burger? 2011/05/21 17:51:04
So, what I got from this is that 5 Guys makes a healthier burger?
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Want some salt with that Burger? 2011/05/21 21:05:38
Root-Beer Man

Not Necessarily. Salt is just one component. look at ft conrtent and chemicals.
DawnT
Re:Want some salt with that Burger? 2011/05/22 00:19:53
Didn't we have an earlier thread last year where the recommended dietary salt in processed foods was going to be slowly decreased industry wide and they were now suggesting a number below 2k and more like 1500mg? While MSG also is a source of sodium, they're offsetting the amount of salt by adding more MSG to make up the difference. Even with the recommendations in place, it's hard to imagine that they will comply gradually to a sunset date.

JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:Want some salt with that Burger? 2011/05/22 08:46:28
Root-Beer Man

No.

The "as-served" 5-Guys burger has no flavor. I would end up adding additional salt & other seasonings to make it edible.  It would probably end up the same as the rest of them.
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:Want some salt with that Burger? 2011/05/22 09:03:16
I just looked up Culver's nutritional info.  There is over 900 grams of sodium in a Butter Burger single. Now I know why they taste so good.