The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

What Roadfood places would you like Jane and Michael to visit?

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 42 of 42
WarmBeer

• Total Posts: 77
Re:What Roadfood places would you like Jane and Michael to visit? Tue, 06/7/11 10:56 PM (permalink)
billyboy

4.)   Red Hook Ball Field food carts in Brooklyn -  a great way to spend an afternoon and I was exposed to foods I had never even considered before)

Did a mini taste tour of Brooklyn on Sunday.  Wish I had seen this before that.  Passed by these trucks on the way from Baked to the Chip Shop.  They looked intriguing but I was on a tight schedule (GF allowed me 2 hrs to hit as many places as I could).  If I had seen this would have taken some time there.

So much food, so little time!
ed

Jennifer_4

• Total Posts: 1508
    Re:What Roadfood places would you like Jane and Michael to visit? Wed, 06/8/11 8:39 AM (permalink)
    Here in Fresno:

Basque Hotel: in a town with at least 4 Basque restaurants, this one stands out as truly authentic and not touristy..

Cosmopolitan:  the BEST burgers and french dip in town...  the sandwiches have a  flavor that will haunt you for a long time.. (in a good way)

Chris/April Meat Market:  Huge authentic burritos and big sheets of chicharron  in a hardcore part of town...  knowing a little Spanish helps because they speak no English

Rudy Jr's Chicken Man: German fried chicken, ribs, burgers and great sides... but come for the chicken..we can't even wait til we get home to tear into it!

Imperial Garden: trolley cart dim sum...  brusque, efficient, barely english speaking waitresses and dozens of different varieties.. come BEFORE they open because every weekend there is always a line just to put your name on the list...  a favorite of the local asian community.

<message edited by Jennifer_4 on Fri, 07/1/11 8:06 AM>

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3704
      Re:What Roadfood places would you like Jane and Michael to visit? Wed, 06/8/11 9:39 AM (permalink)
      Mario's Pizzahouse, 3322 Wilson Bv., Arlington, VA 22201.

They serve the 1950's - style pizza squares and the best hot subs in DC.  Try a few squares and a ham, steak, & cheese with grilled onions & shrooms.

WARNING:  their pizza does not "travel"; it must be consumed immediately on the premises.  When I go in I order a few squares from Joe and consume them while waiting for Lefty to fry up my sub.  

Extreme Glow

Re:What Roadfood places would you like Jane and Michael to visit? Sat, 06/11/11 9:31 AM (permalink)
        I can think of several but here are a few:
        Miss Ruth's Diner in Verona, MS.  Thursday is fried chicken day.
        The Bakery in Tupelo, MS.  Chicken casserole and bakery items.
        Bishop's BBQ in Saltillo, MS.  Pulled pork.
        Mama Josephine's in Saint Louis.  Chicken and dumplings, lasagna, fried chicken, and meatloaf.
        Berix Coffeehouse in Saint Louis.  Bosnian burek.

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3704
          Re:What Roadfood places would you like Jane and Michael to visit? Sat, 06/25/11 9:54 AM (permalink)
          Babe's Chicken Dinner House, various Dallas locations :  http://www.babeschicken.com/ .

We have eaten at their locations in Carrollton, Frisco, and Garland and all were wonderful, serving the fried chicken that Southern Living called "the best in the South".

They serve unlimited and excellent sides (salad, mashed poratos & gravy, biscuits, green beans, etc.) with each meal.  I particularily appreciate the fact that there are both honey and  molasses on each table.

Their chickens are "full-size" and the serving is 1/2 the bird.  They also serve pot roast, smoked chicken, catfish, or ribs (Garland only) if your dining partner isn't in the mood for fried cluck. 

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9548
            Re:What Roadfood places would you like Jane and Michael to visit? Fri, 07/1/11 4:43 AM (permalink)
            Next time the Sterns are headed to their beloved Tucson, they need to fly into Phoenix and take a short hop from the airport over to Tempe and visit Harlow's Cafe. It fits the hole-in-the-wall definition. It's been there over 30 years, feeding generations of ASU students and locals. It's on University Dr & Hardy , just west of the ASU Campus.
            It takes it's name from Jean Harlow, the movie queen and the place is loaded with pictures and posters of old movies and movie stars from the golden age of cinema. The menu is loaded with breakfast & lunch items named after old movie icons. http://www.urbanspoon.com/u/menu/262048 
            Breakfast specialities include The Tom Mix, Chill Wills, The Gary Cooper And Mae West's Eggs Benedict. The Omelets are outstanding as is the Creamed Chipped Beef on Toast. South of The Border breakfast specialities abound. DO NOT LEAVE TOWN WITHOUT HAVING AN ORDER OF THEIR HOT, FRESH BISCUITS, (With or without gravy)! 
            There's a Lunch Special every day. Today it was a roast turkey dinner- large quanity of fresh roasted turkey, mashed potatoes & from scratch turkey gravy, stuffing, green beans, turkey soup or salad and roll - $6.95!
            Other Diner Standards include, Open Faced Hot Roast Beef, Chicken Fried Steak, Homemade Chili with Cheese & Onions, and just for BuffetBuster, many dishes include Green Chiles!
            They're open every day from 7AM to 2PM except Christmas & Thanksgiving.
            Don't have a web site - Don't need one!
            91% of 193 urbanspoon voters like it!
            http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/22/262048/restaurant/Phoenix/Harlows-Cafe-Tempe
            AND, They have a very attractive Wait Staff!
            <message edited by Foodbme on Fri, 07/1/11 4:54 AM>

Mopurr

• Total Posts: 1
              Re:What Roadfood places would you like Jane and Michael to visit? Sun, 07/3/11 11:50 AM (permalink)
              New to the site and am just loving this so far, so going to leave a couple of considerations

Geno's Grill in Flora IL on US50 (Old part).   I am a vegetarian and he makes grilled cheeses unique for me everytime I go in.......roasted red peppers, pineapple different cheeses, tomato pesto, it goes on & on the combos, that we have done in the last 6 mos.
              The husband and friends reports that the burgers are the best around for about 75-100 or more miles.......We went to a 5 guys yesterday and there was no comparison......they were better than McD/fast food but Geno's Rocks.
              Everything is fresh.....fresh cut frys, homemade chips, lightly battered onion rings
              This is a new place not quite a yr old.

When we go places now, that are reported to be really good burgers etc. Geno's is the Place to compare to.  So far since we found this new place most others are found to be lacking.    Swenson's in Cleveland/Akron area, is a good comparison of burger flavor, but Geno's is a different type/Style  thick hand made, 1/4 or 1/2 lbs.

since I am new if you have never been there.

the Sunset Restaurant in Lebanon TN......we just got back from a trip and we go everytime we are near there.  Always more than one stop per trip   This is about 30 miles east of Nashville

Wonderful food.
              Home cooking.....meat & 3.....oh my the pies

The Coconut cream pie is heavenly.....the best I have ever had anywhere    The flaky crust, is just melts in your mouth.......the other pies are very good also

the flavor of their Pinto Beans, is a mouthful of flavorfull burst when you take that first bite, that you just savor the taste.

the Sunset is one of those places that as you are eating you savor each bite and know that this is what food is meant to be.

danimal15

• Total Posts: 1092
                Re:What Roadfood places would you like Jane and Michael to visit? Fri, 07/8/11 11:46 AM (permalink)
                I've been urging them for years: Go to Athenian Room on Webster in Chicago and have the Kalamata chicken!

drummagick

• Total Posts: 167
                  Re:What Roadfood places would you like Jane and Michael to visit? Fri, 07/8/11 12:12 PM (permalink)
                  The Hoot Owl Cafe in Ponderey, ID, just a mile or two outside of Sandpoint!

I've always been for breakfast, never for lunch.  Get the Hashbrowns Supreme (homefries with ham, cheese, eggs, green pepper and onion), biscuits & gravy and wonderful thick cut bacon!

http://www.yelp.com/biz/hoot-owl-cafe-ponderay

After you have breakfast at the Hoot Owl, take a drive down Hwy 200 to Clark Fork, it's GORGEOUS!, follows Lake Pend Oreille most of the way and then the Clark Fork River, then come back and have lunch or dinner here

http://www.yelp.com/biz/e...coffee-house-sandpoint
                  <message edited by drummagick on Fri, 07/8/11 12:20 PM>

Heartbreaksoup

• Total Posts: 407
                    Re:What Roadfood places would you like Jane and Michael to visit? Fri, 07/8/11 4:26 PM (permalink)
                    Here are my suggestions:
                    1. Something more in Asheville NC than just the Tomato Jam Cafe.  There doesn't yet appear to be a whole heck of a lot of real roadfood in that city, but digging is sure to turn up something old and wonderful.  I am looking forward to trying (the gorgeously-simply named) Mediterranean Restaurant when I'm in town for Bele Chere in a few weeks, which seems to fit the bill.

2. Neal's Bar-B-Que in Thomson GA, a few miles west of Augusta.  It's been praised by John T. Edge and by Jamie Oliver - Oliver borrowed their pitmaster when he went to compete in a Lakeland FL cookoff - but I never see it get any love.  We tried it last month and were amazingly impressed.

3. The Turn Around Bar-B-Que in Tallapoosa GA.  Rustic and hidden - you're almost certain to genuinely need to turn around when you're looking for it - this place has one of the best bowls of Brunswick stew that I've ever had.  Top five, easy.

4. Metro Diner in Jacksonville FL.  Admittedly, I've not been here yet - maybe in November - but something about this ramshackle place's presentation on Triple-D spoke to me more than any other place that show's ever presented.  I can't wait to have breakfast there.

5. Brandi's World Famous Hot Dogs in Marietta GA.  It's a little crowded room by some railroad tracks, open M-F 10-3.  Their chili is just about the hottest that I've ever had on a dog.  Magical.  I'm there as often as I can.

michaelcarraher

• Total Posts: 159
                      Re:What Roadfood places would you like Jane and Michael to visit? Thu, 07/14/11 11:50 AM (permalink)
                      Some of these Roadfood candidates sound great.  I see a couple within driving distance I may get to before the Sterns do.  I hope those who nominated restaurants will post their own reviews here.

A couple of my favorites:
                      Jimmy John's - Hot dogs.  On Route 202 South of West Chester, PA
                      Bob's Diner - Especially good for breakfast.  On Ridge Ave in Roxborough (Philadelphia), PA  - Near Dallesandro's.

Suggestion to Michael Stern: It's getting clear you/we keep finding additional Roadfood-worthy restaurants, too many for the book and maybe too many to visit on each trip.  I know you have to keep making room for reviews of new places and some have to go.  How about:
                      (1) Bring back Goodfood for in town places and keep Roadfood for off-the-beaten path places (as an earlier post suggested).
                      2.  At the end of each state listing, add a list of "Other Roadfood" or "Roadfood Alumni".  One or two lines each.  Name, type of restaurant, location and what edition of Roadfood has a full review.  Maybe an asterisk if you haven't checked it out lately.
                      3. Regional editions of Roadfood with more exhaustive listings from all recent editions in one place.
                      4: Guides dedicated to specific types of restaurants.  Pizza.  Hot dogs.  Cafeterias.  Drug stores with soda fountains.  Store made ice cream.  Diners.

agmccall

• Total Posts: 239
                        Re:What Roadfood places would you like Jane and Michael to visit? Fri, 07/15/11 9:03 PM (permalink)
                        Gibby's Diner
                        10040 Duanesburg Road
                        Delanson, NY 12053
                        (518) 895-2063

Thanksgiving Sandwich on Home Made Bread

All food is fantastic

Al

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                          Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 42 of 42

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                          • No New Messages
                          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                          • Locked w/ New Messages
                          • Locked w/o New Messages
                          • Read Message
                          • Post New Thread
                          • Reply to message
                          • Post New Poll
                          • Submit Vote
                          • Post reward post
                          • Delete my own posts
                          • Delete my own threads
                          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com