Whole-belly Clams in Connecticut?

Author
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4306
2011/06/21 16:56:24 (permalink)

Whole-belly Clams in Connecticut?

I am looking for recommendations for a good place to get whole-belly fried clams in Connecticut (is there such a thing?).  I was going to Massachusetts, but a scheduling conflict has put that off.  I'm staying near the Connecticut and New York border in Rye for a few days, and thought I'd look for something new to me in shore food.

14 Replies Related Threads

rumaki
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1030
    Re:Whole-belly Clams in Connecticut? 2011/06/21 17:13:44 (permalink)
    Sea Swirl in Mystic, CT is the one the Sterns rave about.  I had an excellent scallop roll there.

They are also served at Westbrook Lobster.  I've never had them,  but the hot lobster roll is fabulous, and my husband really enjoyed the fried shrimp.

post edited by rumaki - 2011/06/21 17:22:05
    phlmaestro
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 366
    Re:Whole-belly Clams in Connecticut? 2011/06/21 17:41:36 (permalink)
    Denmo's, which is reviewed on this site, isn't that bad of a ride up Rt. 84 from New York and they have very good fried seafood. I like their clams, but really go nuts over their fried scallops.

http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurant/Overview/185/denmos-snack-dairy-bar
    post edited by phlmaestro - 2011/06/21 17:43:19
    douginvirginia
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 462
    Re:Whole-belly Clams in Connecticut? 2011/06/21 20:10:51 (permalink)
    MD,

While our favorite clams are those from the Clam Box in Ipswich, MA, the singular best order I've ever had was from the Sea Swirl in Mystic.

If you can take a break from your destination, I think an overnighter in Groton/Mystic could possibly be the highlight of your summer - lobster dinner at Abbott's , followed by lunch the next day of clams at Sea Swirl.

Doug
    sk bob
    • Total Posts : 1801
    Re:Whole-belly Clams in Connecticut? 2011/06/21 21:35:20 (permalink)
    Johnny Ads in Old Saybrook is great but actually any seafood place ( or this one pizza place in OS that I can't remember the name of ) along Rt.1 you can get good whole belly clams that are as good as Sea Swirl. just stop. if they don't have whole bellys, LEAVE.
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Whole-belly Clams in Connecticut? 2011/06/24 14:11:18 (permalink)
    Thanks for the advice, folks!  It looks like Sunday or Monday because of the poor weather around here lately.
    sk bob
    Re:Whole-belly Clams in Connecticut? 2011/06/24 21:29:30 (permalink)
    bad weather where Don ? at home or up north?
    theres a place in West Haven,if its still open, called Jimmy's if I remember. never been there but I heard its good.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18346
    Re:Whole-belly Clams in Connecticut? 2011/06/24 22:02:05 (permalink)
    Ah, sk bob, Jimmy's was once wonderful. But back in the late '60s, when the good burghers of West Haven decided to do something to destroy the ambience of a shoreline that drew people to places like Jimmy's, Turks, Phyllis's, Peter Franke's and the like everything went downhill. Jimmy's, the home of the grilled, split frank, the hot lobster roll, the fried clams (what some people today keep referring to as whole bellies), the clams on the half shell, and of course the amazingly refreshing pineapple drink, is now an inside restaurant with terrific food, but not the fun of a shore place.

Of course, there's still Chick's at Savin Rock. But nothing else is the same.
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Whole-belly Clams in Connecticut? 2011/06/25 06:49:38 (permalink)
    Bad weather up north, sk bob.  My flight out of Miami was even delayed because of the lack of visibility in NYC at LaGuardia airport.  A dinner party yesterday.under a pavillion on the Rye shore was rather dampened by spray from the Sound and blowing rain.  (Food from Dinosaur BBQ, BTW!).
    pnwchef
    • Total Posts : 2365
    Re:Whole-belly Clams in Connecticut? 2011/06/25 08:26:59 (permalink)
    The Windmill Restaurant would be a nice lunch spot for a few dog and a beer, good old time local bar with great dogs. Jimmies of Savin Rock is a great memory for Michael and myself, but the reviews are not real great as of late. This maybe a place to stop in for some Cherrystone clams on a half shell, side order of fried clams. Like Michael said, all fried clams in New England are with the bellies, the other ones are clam strips, all breading not much clam. I would also travel down to Mystic, you will find clams and fish and chip places along the way. Lenny and joes looks to get good reviews, the fried clams are a Market price on the menu, this place is well worth a try.
    [link=http://pages.ljfishtale.com/menujpegs/madisonmenu5-10.pdf]http://pages.ljfishtale.c...gs/madisonmenu5-10.pdf[/link]
    I would try this place over Jimmies, it's a beautiful area, Hammonasset beach is also nice................Fried clams in New England are a taste of the ocean splashing around in your mouth......................Enjoy your drive, ................pnwc

Phishmonger
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 217
    Re:Whole-belly Clams in Connecticut? 2011/06/25 09:27:32 (permalink)
    Go East - DON'T STOP till you get to Lennie & Joe's Fish Tale Restaurant on Rt. 1 in Westbrook. Fabulous Seafood ( Whole Bellies included), and get yourself a Cap and Tee Shirt before leaving to remember the great seafood experience you've just had. We travel an hour at least once a month for a Fish Tale Fix.
    sk bob
    Re:Whole-belly Clams in Connecticut? 2011/06/25 21:05:10 (permalink)
    last time I was in CT (living there), Lennie & Joes is where the tourists went. Johnny Ads is where the locals went.
    Johnny Ads is much better IMHO.
    FriedClamFanatic
    • Total Posts : 1637
    Re:Whole-belly Clams in Connecticut? 2011/07/03 23:06:23 (permalink)
    In my youth I spent many a night at Jimmy's (but not that late since I was with a lovely lady) one summer. The finest clams......great lobster.  GREAT portions!

a true Classic!
    mjambro
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 433
    Re:Whole-belly Clams in Connecticut? 2013/06/17 08:17:42 (permalink)
    douginvirginia

While our favorite clams are those from the Clam Box in Ipswich, MA ....

With a lot of positive talk, we stopped by the Clam Box (Ipswich) this past weekend on a short trip to Maine, splitting their fisherman's platter.  While the slaw was excellent and the clams perhaps very good, the scallops and haddock were fair, at best.  They seemed to prepare everything well - freshly battered & freshly cooked to order and the plate had excellent presentation / not greasy (evidently cooked at the right temperature), but I suspect the less-than excellent experience was probably due to reduced seafood quality- i.e. smaller clams & medium sized scallops - larger than bay, but relatively small for sea scallops.

While not bad, I doubt that I'd put them in the top ten and considering the 70 minute wait (Saturday, about 1pm) to place our order, I don't see myself ever going back.  By taking approximately three minutes per order, I suspect the delay is due to cooking everything to order with limited fry bins.

I recall enjoying Woodman's perhaps ten years ago, but if the Clam Box is the best in the area, in the future, I'll stay with RI & CT for the best fried clams, scallops & fish and chips or wait until I get into Maine when traveling north.  

Over the past year, I've enjoyed far superior (fried) clams at Glenwood in Hamden CT, Harry's in Colchester Ct and Buttonwoods Fish and Chips in  Warwick RI.  Although perhaps not in the top five, twice I've enjoyed very good clams this year at Skippers in Niantic CT, although in recent years, I've also had far reduced quality at several RI clam shacks, including Iggy's, Monahans (although they do have an excellent hot lobster roll & outstanding fried scallops), Champlins and Aunt Carries, amongst others.

Bottom line, I much prefer / suggest CT, RI & ME vs. the north shore for my fried seafood fixes, although each does have its good and not so good, so one must pick and choose for the best, even in CT, RI & ME.

post edited by mjambro - 2013/06/17 08:19:27
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18346
    Re:Whole-belly Clams in Connecticut? 2013/06/17 10:40:16 (permalink)
    I forgot about Skippers in Niantic. I've had really, really terrific fried clams there a number of times.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1