Finding a good Greek Recipe isn’t all that hard. What’s hard is understanding why Greek foods, cuisine, and style of cooking are so sought after amongst cooks and health conscious people alike. If you look at a wide array of Greek Recipes, you will most likely find a common theme among them. Things like olive oil, lemon, garlic, garbanzo beans (chickpeas), spinach, and eggplant (just to name a few) will show up again and again. These super foods are packed with nutrients, vitamins, and disease fighting agents and have been a proven reason for the superior health of those who cook with a Mediterranean flare.
Here is a staple Greek recipe, enjoy and continue to learn how to cook healthy recipes for yourself, your family and your friends. Spanokopita
A classic Greek spinach and feta cheese pie. Always a party favorite! Ingredients:
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- ½ onion chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic
- 2 1- lb bags spinach, chopped
- 4 scallions chopped
- 1 tsp mint
- 4 pinches each of black pepper and nutmeg to taste
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups of crumbled feta
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- Equal amounts of extra virgin olive oil and butter (¼ cup of each for brushing)
- Filo dough Method:
- Heat oil and sauté onions and garlic.
- Clean and add spinach, cook for 3 minutes.
- Add scallions, mint and spices to spinach.
- Add egg and cheeses, and then mix well.
- Cook for 3-5 minutes and then cool to room temperature.
- Melt butter and oil in saucepan.
- Brush bottom of baking pan.
- Line the bottom and sides of the pan with 4 sheets of filo dough.
- Spoon spinach mix into pan, cover with 1 sheet of filo. Then brush filo with butter and oil.
- Continue layering filo, 1 sheet at a time, using 5-6 filo sheets, brushing each sheet with butter and oil.
- Continue to brush each sheet.
- Fold inward any overlapping filo. Brush with butter mix and trim pastry around pan.
- Cut surface into 3 inch squares, then triangles and bake for 30-35 minutes at 375° or until golden brown.
- Let rest for 5-10 minutes, then serve. Note:
You also can make individual servings by cutting filo into strips and following the same directions as the tyropita triangles recipe.