How do YOU cook your hotdogs when at home?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Junior Burger
2011/07/01 10:47:32
When I'm at home I like to boil my weiners just until they start to puff a bit, and then onto a searing hot grill to finish them off with some grill marks. I've been doing it for a few years and I think it's my favorite way to eat them, by far. How do you do it?
waltpiii
Cheeseburger
Re:How do YOU cook your hotdogs when at home? 2011/07/01 11:18:47
I usually grill them on my George Foreman. Then I butter and grill the rolls.

Walt 
mar52
Sirloin
Re:How do YOU cook your hotdogs when at home? 2011/07/01 11:19:05
Split and grill.  Mostly in a pan because It's too much work for The Big Green Egg when only cooking hot dogs for two.

I have tried them on the George Forman that way and it works, but the clean up is more than in a pan.
leethebard
Sirloin
Re:How do YOU cook your hotdogs when at home? 2011/07/01 11:41:22
Thunmann's or Shickhaus natural casings on the stovetop grill 'til they split: Perfect!!!
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:How do YOU cook your hotdogs when at home? 2011/07/01 11:42:11
TomatoMustard

When I'm at home I like to boil my weiners just until they start to puff a bit, and then onto a searing hot grill to finish them off with some grill marks. I've been doing it for a few years and I think it's my favorite way to eat them, by far. How do you do it?

I think I will try your method tomorrow.  I do sometimes add a BBQ sauce to them and they char a little better and prettier when I do.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
David_NYC
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:How do YOU cook your hotdogs when at home? 2011/07/01 11:54:19
I usually eat Nathan's or Sabrett natural casing hot dogs. So, I do like the famous stands do (use a flat griddle) and heat them in an electric fry pan for about an hour at low heat -I set my dial to 200 degrees F.
agnesrob
Re:How do YOU cook your hotdogs when at home? 2011/07/01 12:17:00
leethebard

Thunmann's or Shickhaus natural casings on the stovetop grill 'til they split: Perfect!!!

Ditto!
Cosmos
Re:How do YOU cook your hotdogs when at home? 2011/07/01 12:48:37
Inside its in a cast iron pan with butter on medium low heat. Outdoors its on my charcoal Weber.
SeamusD
Re:How do YOU cook your hotdogs when at home? 2011/07/01 13:34:04
Apartment living at its finest... Hofmann's dogs under the broiler in the oven until they brown up and split open. New England style roll, jalapeno mustard, done and done.
ynotryme
Double Cheeseburger
Re:How do YOU cook your hotdogs when at home? 2011/07/01 14:34:00
I had always thought on the grill was the best way until my wife bought me a rolling hot dog machine. I cook Hebrew nationals on high for 20 minutes and they are so full of flavor and juicy.
jman
Re:How do YOU cook your hotdogs when at home? 2011/07/01 14:45:29
mar52

I have tried them on the George Forman that way and it works, but the clean up is more than in a pan.

I think the GF grill is great for hot dogs.  I usually take a piece of aluminum foil and fold it in half and then put the dogs between the fold.  After you grill them to whatever degree of blackness you want, just wad up the foil and throw it out.  The grill stays nice and clean. Something else I do when cooking dogs on the GF grill is to spray them very lightly with a little liquid smoke I keep in a spray bottle.  Also, if you perforate the dogs a bit with a fork, they won't burst open, and they'll be nice and crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside.

bartl
Re:How do YOU cook your hotdogs when at home? 2011/07/01 15:16:43
One thing which I discovered a couple of years back is that you can actually cook hotdogs, even ones with natural skins, acceptably in the microwave. My "trick" is to place each one on a half paper towel, fold the sides over, then roll tightly, before microwaving. By keeping the fat on top of the meat, I actually get browning. I prefer the cast iron skillet, but this serves when I'm in a hurry (note that I generally use the Johnsonville or Hillshire Farm cooked sausages).

Bart
John Fox
Re:How do YOU cook your hotdogs when at home? 2011/07/01 19:36:49
Most of the time I heat in water (not boil) then cook on the backyard grill. For a German style beef/pork frank I like to heat in water then prepare on a griddle. When I'm lazy I just cook in a skillet.
offlady
Cheeseburger
Re:How do YOU cook your hotdogs when at home? 2011/07/06 14:57:16
Sliced and cooked in teriyaki sauce.
deepfryerdan
Hamburger
Re:How do YOU cook your hotdogs when at home? 2011/07/07 10:32:55
microwave, duh! j/k

I never use the microwave for dogs - yuck. I like to steam them until they pop.. usually using chicken broth because I always have an abundance of it that I need to use before it goes south.
waltpiii
Cheeseburger
Re:How do YOU cook your hotdogs when at home? 2011/07/07 10:48:14
Last night 3 natural casing dogs,and grilled buns done my George Foreman. Served with a swipe of Whalens Hamburger relish.
post edited by waltpiii - 2011/07/07 10:49:43
ALLGOOD
Cheeseburger
Re:How do YOU cook your hotdogs when at home? 2011/07/07 13:13:38
For Oscar Mayer's, we put an individual hot dog on a soft bun (like Wonder Bread buns) , wrap completely in paper toweling, put in microwave and nuke on high for 40 seconds.  They come out like steamed ballpark dogs everytime.
jaylhorner
Cheeseburger
Re:How do YOU cook your hotdogs when at home? 2011/07/07 16:13:50
Always outside on the grill!

mar52
Sirloin
Re:How do YOU cook your hotdogs when at home? 2011/07/07 17:44:09
jman

mar52

I think the GF grill is great for hot dogs.  I usually take a piece of aluminum foil and fold it in half and then put the dogs between the fold.  After you grill them to whatever degree of blackness you want, just wad up the foil and throw it out.  The grill stays nice and clean. Something else I do when cooking dogs on the GF grill is to spray them very lightly with a little liquid smoke I keep in a spray bottle.  Also, if you perforate the dogs a bit with a fork, they won't burst open, and they'll be nice and crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside.

Thanks, Jman...    I'll have to try your method.  I hate all types of food clean up.
bartl
Re:How do YOU cook your hotdogs when at home? 2011/07/07 18:06:03
deepfryerdan I never use the microwave for dogs - yuck. I like to steam them until they pop.. usually using chicken broth because I always have an abundance of it that I need to use before it goes south

Try one hot dog my way (wrapping in a paper towel, about 40 seconds on high), just as an experiment.

Bart
sk bob
Re:How do YOU cook your hotdogs when at home? 2011/07/07 18:18:57
outside on the grill
inside in the steamer
 at work in the micro wrapped in a paper towel.
Tony White
Hamburger
Re:How do YOU cook your hotdogs when at home? 2011/07/08 01:20:36
Deep Fried
californyguy
Double Cheeseburger
Re:How do YOU cook your hotdogs when at home? 2011/07/08 01:38:04
I like to split , then fry in butter...also the roll is also browned in the pan....another variation is to cut up and put in with a can of bush  baked beans..just a big kid still I guess
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:How do YOU cook your hotdogs when at home? 2011/07/08 03:49:23
On the grill, but mostly fried in a pan with a tad of butter til they split. My mom used to split then broil. My variation is to cut in coins, place coins on a piece of bread that has a slice of cheese on it, then broil. My nieces and nephews love it and still ask for it even if though they are all now in their 20's..
WarToad
Re:How do YOU cook your hotdogs when at home? 2011/07/08 06:35:18
The upside of a gas grill is it's ready in a minute for dogs.
TomatoMustard
Junior Burger
Re:How do YOU cook your hotdogs when at home? 2011/07/08 10:23:20
The deep fried idea intrigues me...
dimmie2
Cheeseburger
Re:How do YOU cook your hotdogs when at home? 2011/07/08 10:26:10
If I'm gonna eat them on a bun, I don't want them split and I rarely have them that way.  Boil 'em, char 'em but don't split my dog.
SeamusD
Re:How do YOU cook your hotdogs when at home? 2011/07/08 12:26:01
TomatoMustard

The deep fried idea intrigues me...

A hot dog with a good snappy skin deep fried is a thing of pure joy.
SassyGritsAL
Re:How do YOU cook your hotdogs when at home? 2011/07/19 17:47:16
I pan grill them w/butter; also I toast my buns!
Parrot Cage
Hamburger
Re:How do YOU cook your hotdogs when at home? 2011/07/19 20:23:51
Pan grill, rotating often, until they split on their own. Buttered and toasted hot dog rolls.
BackAlleyBurger
Re:How do YOU cook your hotdogs when at home? 2011/07/19 20:50:31
sad to say, but......
90% of time, right from the package, on a slice of white bread, and a squirt of franks totally tomatoe ketchup.....
lol, far fewer dishes this way :) 
lynndunham
Cheeseburger
Re:How do YOU cook your hotdogs when at home? 2011/07/19 23:25:39
I usually simmer it gently in water until it's hot. I have been known to spear it with a meat fork and broil it over a gas burner on the  kitchen stove - not bad!
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:How do YOU cook your hotdogs when at home? 2011/07/20 01:20:51
lynndunham
I usually simmer it gently in water until it's hot. I have been known to spear it with a meat fork and broil it over a gas burner on the  kitchen stove - not bad!

Did you ever set the house on fire with a fat laden cheap weenie like Bar S or Farmer John's?" />
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:How do YOU cook your hotdogs when at home? 2011/07/20 04:30:47
Sometimes I like to make my own Beenie Weenies! A can of Bush's Ranchero Beans some cut up dogs  and some dashes of Crystal Sauce! Maybe a little chopped sweet onion too!
MellowRoast
Re:How do YOU cook your hotdogs when at home? 2011/07/20 07:55:04
Generally, on the Foreman coated with a quick shot of buttery spray.  Works beautifully and cleans up fast with a wet Bounty.  Buns are wrapped in foil and warmed in a toaster oven.  By the time I add mustard and chili, etc., it's better than most hot dogs I can buy in town.  Faster than the toaster oven is to tuck the hot grilled frank into a bun, wrap in paper towel, and microwave for about 20 seconds, then dress.  Excellent.
post edited by MellowRoast - 2011/07/20 10:49:20
bartl
Re:How do YOU cook your hotdogs when at home? 2011/07/20 10:28:26
BackAlleyBurger sad to say, but......
90% of time, right from the package, on a slice of white bread, and a squirt of franks totally tomatoe ketchup.....
lol, far fewer dishes this way :) 

Just to make sure: you don't even heat them?

Bart
MellowRoast
Re:How do YOU cook your hotdogs when at home? 2011/07/20 10:52:07
I can't imagine eating them straight from the package, but I have a friend who does that. 
NascarDad
Cheeseburger
Re:How do YOU cook your hotdogs when at home? 2011/07/20 11:08:20
I usually use my gas grill and toss on a couple of pieces of lump charcoal just before the grill is hot enough to grill the dogs.

I like my dogs with a good bit of char on them
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:How do YOU cook your hotdogs when at home? 2011/07/20 11:10:42
MellowRoast

I can't imagine eating them straight from the package ...

Why not? They're cooked. Nothing like a cold hot dog dipped into a jar of Gulden's mustard, bite-after-bite-after bite.

Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:How do YOU cook your hotdogs when at home? 2011/07/20 15:57:59
Michael Hoffman
MellowRoast

Why not? They're cooked. Nothing like a cold hot dog dipped into a jar of Gulden's mustard, bite-after-bite-after bite.

In the Same Family; wouldn't dream of cooking Vienna Sausages would you? Cold from the can! Yum!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:How do YOU cook your hotdogs when at home? 2011/07/20 18:32:13
Right from the can, a little salt and pepper (if I'm at home and not out in a boat fishing), some good mustard for dipping, and a few saltines.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:How do YOU cook your hotdogs when at home? 2011/07/21 01:23:03
Michael Hoffman
Right from the can, a little salt and pepper (if I'm at home and not out in a boat fishing), some good mustard for dipping, and a few saltines.

Yep, one of life's little pleasures. In a boat, can, (make that a couple cans) of Vienna's, a cold beer, some mustard and saltines. No noise except birds chirping. Peace, solitude and Vienna's-----Doesn't get any better than that------unless you have your Grandson with you and he catches his first fish!
post edited by Foodbme - 2011/07/21 01:25:21
MellowRoast
Re:How do YOU cook your hotdogs when at home? 2011/07/21 07:25:12
Foodbme

Michael Hoffman
MellowRoast

In the Same Family; wouldn't dream of cooking Vienna Sausages would you? Cold from the can! Yum!

I've tried them right out of the package but found the taste most unappealing.  As for Vienna sausages, I enjoy them either way, heated or unheated.  
ChrisOC
Re:How do YOU cook your hotdogs when at home? 2011/07/21 08:25:56
Does anyone remember electrocuted hot dogs?
MellowRoast
Re:How do YOU cook your hotdogs when at home? 2011/07/21 09:43:11
Yes, I sure do.  We had a such a hot dog cooker in the '60s.  It didn't do a great job, but we certainly used it for a while.  It may have been called a Hot Dogger, I'm not sure.
Jennifer_4
Re:How do YOU cook your hotdogs when at home? 2011/07/21 09:48:00
just found a new way...in the toaster oven til they start to pop...
mbrookes
Re:How do YOU cook your hotdogs when at home? 2011/07/21 11:06:01
I put them on a long handled cooking fork and roast over the stove eye until they begin to char. I have a gas stove, but this works over an electric eye on high. No clean-up!
MellowRoast
Re:How do YOU cook your hotdogs when at home? 2011/07/21 13:15:51
Now that's novel.  I'll have to give that a shot.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:How do YOU cook your hotdogs when at home? 2011/07/21 15:05:57
Jennifer_4
just found a new way...in the toaster oven til they start to pop...

My Bride has cooked hers that way for years.
Russ Jackson
Re:How do YOU cook your hotdogs when at home? 2011/07/21 20:24:46
Medium heat in a cast iron skillet with a natural casing hot dog. Tablespoon of butter melted. Once the Hot Dogs start to brown rotate Hot Dogs to and frow. This can also be done by sliding skillet forward and back. You will see the skin turn brown and start to blister without bursting. Don't burn the butter. Remove all the hot dogs from the skillet at the same time or they will start to burst. This method will give the best snap in the Hot Dog without losing moisture. Lard works better than butter and creates a great outer surface. Bacon grease is top notch as well.
When in college I performed the electrocution method by taking an old extension cord and fraying the two wires and attaching them to two forks one for each wire. Wrap with tape. Insert fork in each end of the hot dog and plug in. It will cook in no time. Not the safest but effective.
If you Microwave a Hot Dog, use Turkey or Chicken Hot Dogs or put Ketchup on it you will not go to Heaven....Russ
kaszeta
Double Cheeseburger
Re:How do YOU cook your hotdogs when at home? 2011/07/22 08:45:47
ChrisOC
Does anyone remember electrocuted hot dogs?

Still available at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Nos...=1311338707&sr=1-2
MellowRoast
Re:How do YOU cook your hotdogs when at home? 2011/07/22 08:57:38
That model definitely heats the dogs, but the Hot Dogger as seen below really electrocuted them. 
http://neighborhoodvalues.com/nv/kitchen/misc/35kc.htm
post edited by MellowRoast - 2011/07/22 09:06:05
kaszeta
Double Cheeseburger
Re:How do YOU cook your hotdogs when at home? 2011/07/22 09:17:59
MellowRoast

That model definitely heats the dogs, whereas the Hot Dogger really electrocuted them.

Yeah, I guess you are correct. My roommate one summer in college had a near-identical looking cooker that actually slide electrodes into the dogs, which is why I thought the one shown electrocuted them.
I also remember the terrible, terrible stench resulting when said roommate put a tofu dog into the electrocution chamber.
MellowRoast
Re:How do YOU cook your hotdogs when at home? 2011/07/22 10:07:00
Well, I remember it was a fairly clumsy device and probably more trouble than it was worth.  After a few uses, we started boiling or grilling the dogs again.  I'm sure that new cooker does a much better job, and I've read some positve reviews about it.
post edited by MellowRoast - 2011/07/22 10:08:34
MellowRoast
Re:How do YOU cook your hotdogs when at home? 2011/07/27 13:52:15
Neat article from the Post Gazette on the HoJo method...sounds good to me.

http://www.post-gazette.com/food/20000910hojo4.asp
fishtaco
Double Cheeseburger
Re:How do YOU cook your hotdogs when at home? 2011/07/27 15:26:21
MellowRoast

That model definitely heats the dogs, but the Hot Dogger as seen below really electrocuted them. 
http://neighborhoodvalues.com/nv/kitchen/misc/35kc.htm

There was a nasty unsafe homemade version. Pound a couple nails just short of thru a 2x4 about a foot long. Wrap the stripped wires of an extension cord around the nails. Place dog on nails and plug in. Like I said, nast unsafe!

MellowRoast
Re:How do YOU cook your hotdogs when at home? 2011/07/27 16:03:17
Plus it's too complicated for my simple mind!
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:How do YOU cook your hotdogs when at home? 2011/07/27 16:03:53
The Barbeque Store has a vast array of outdoor cooking "Stuff".
http://www.barbecue-store.com/
How 'bout this one?
http://www.barbecue-store.com/Grill-Dog--With-Electric-Motor_p_596.html
Saves space on the grill for more "Stuff"!
Or this one for Charcoal Grills:
http://www.barbecue-store.com/Charcoal-Companion--Stainless-Steel-Hot-Dog-Roller_p_425.html
post edited by Foodbme - 2011/07/27 16:07:05
AndreaB
Re:How do YOU cook your hotdogs when at home? 2011/07/27 16:14:08
On the outdoor charcoal BBQ if the weather is right, and on the indoor grill if not.  And, we lightly grill the buns.  The dogs are never split and the condiments depend upon what's on hand or what we're in the mood for.
post edited by AndreaB - 2011/07/27 16:16:15
MellowRoast
Re:How do YOU cook your hotdogs when at home? 2011/07/27 17:02:07
Foodbme forgot this one...

http://roastmyweenie.com/Roast_Your_Weenie/home.html

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2