Cooking Lobster

CharlotteGraves1
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
Cooking Lobster - Tue, 07/12/11 4:24 PM
I've been wondering what a better way to cook redlobster is, steamed or boiled? Suggestions, tips, advice?

jackd418
  • Total Posts : 49
Re:Cooking Lobster - Tue, 07/12/11 5:18 PM
I prefer mine broiled.Those are for tails though.Don't do live lobsters

pnwchef
  • Total Posts : 2235
Re:Cooking Lobster - Tue, 07/12/11 6:18 PM
Whole Maine Lobster, I boil or stuff and bake. Lobster tails, I slice down the top of the tail, pull the meat through the top of the shell propping/laying the meat on top of the shell, baste with butter, sprinkle with paprika, bake till done...............serve all with drawn butter...............pnwc

BarbaraCt
  • Total Posts : 333
Re:Cooking Lobster - Tue, 07/12/11 6:53 PM
My old microwave didn't have a turntable, so I bought as large a lobster as I could find that would fit in my 9 by 13 glass dish, and I would microwave it until the claws were red.  I put the live lobster in, with plastic wrap on top, and turned it on.  It was great in the summer because it didn't heat up the house.  You would be surprised at all the "water" that came out of the lobster, too.  It tasted great!

Wintahaba
  • Total Posts : 109
Re:Cooking Lobster - Tue, 07/12/11 7:03 PM
Live Lobster done the old Maine way....a few inches of salted water (sea water if you have it) brought to a boil...insert lobster....cook until bright red. A combo of steam and boiled..."stoiled?" Simply perfect.

CharlotteGraves1
  • Total Posts : 2
Re:Cooking Lobster - Tue, 07/12/11 9:00 PM
Thanks for all your advice and I looked on this website that knows a lot about red lobster. In case any one is searching for the same stuff try 1restaurantcoupons.com.  I have to say however, that I like mine boiled as well. I will definatly try these tips out on my family though!
<message edited by CharlotteGraves1 on Tue, 07/12/11 9:01 PM>

joerogo
  • Total Posts : 4463
Re:Cooking Lobster - Tue, 07/12/11 10:21 PM
CharlotteGraves1, Exactly what does the website you are hawking have to do with lobster?  Are you cooking SPAM?

Foodbme
  • Total Posts : 9552
Re:Cooking Lobster - Wed, 07/13/11 3:21 AM
CharlotteGraves1

Thanks for all your advice and I looked on this website that knows a lot about red lobster. In case any one is searching for the same stuff try 1restaurantcoupons.com.  I have to say however, that I like mine boiled as well. I will definatly try these tips out on my family though!

Red Lobster is a restaurant. Fresh lobster is more brown until cooked - then it becomes red.

ann peeples
  • Total Posts : 8317
Re:Cooking Lobster - Wed, 07/13/11 3:32 AM
Oh, Lord-these people never learn.

Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2413
Re:Cooking Lobster - Wed, 07/13/11 9:34 AM
I've only done tails, wanting to pull the meat through but afraid it would tear in the process so I just split it.  Never done whole, I hear they "cry" when you put them in the water.  But then, I think I also heard you could put them in them in the freezer briefly to put them to sleep first??  BTW, I'm not responding to the OP just you other folks.

Foodbme
Re:Cooking Lobster - Wed, 07/13/11 1:21 PM
Rusty246

I've only done tails, wanting to pull the meat through but afraid it would tear in the process so I just split it.  Never done whole, I hear they "cry" when you put them in the water.  But then, I think I also heard you could put them in them in the freezer briefly to put them to sleep first??  BTW, I'm not responding to the OP just you other folks.

The meat won't tear. Cut the top of the shell with scissors. Stick 2 fingers into the bottom of the tail and separate the meat from the bottom shell and lift it out. To not hear the crying lobster, stick it in the pot headfirst! no need to anethestize it first in the freezer

tiki
  • Total Posts : 4135
Re:Cooking Lobster - Thu, 09/15/11 1:26 PM
Steamed--in a pit--with clams-corn-sausage and new potatoes served with a salad of cukes,vine ripe tomatoes and red onion and a bowl of "chowda"  :)

tiki
  • Total Posts : 4135
Re:Cooking Lobster - Thu, 09/15/11 1:27 PM
oh---and lots of Butter!

Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2413
Re:Cooking Lobster - Thu, 09/15/11 1:31 PM
Foodbme

Rusty246

The meat won't tear. Cut the top of the shell with scissors. Stick 2 fingers into the bottom of the tail and separate the meat from the bottom shell and lift it out. To not hear the crying lobster, stick it in the pot headfirst! no need to anethestize it first in the freezer

Okay, I'll try again!  I tried to get the guy at Fresh Market to do this for me and he looked at me like I had lost my mind...but then english wasn't his first language either.

Twinwillow
  • Total Posts : 4896
Re:Cooking Lobster - Thu, 09/15/11 6:29 PM
joerogo

CharlotteGraves1, Exactly what does the website you are hawking have to do with lobster?  Are you cooking SPAM?

Twinwillow
Re:Cooking Lobster - Thu, 09/15/11 6:32 PM
Steamed on a large rack over about 4" of water in a large pot (mine is 24 quarts). 
Don't forget to throw it in an ice bath as soon as you remove it from the steamer.
<message edited by Twinwillow on Thu, 09/15/11 7:54 PM>

jimcor
  • Total Posts : 148
Re:Cooking Lobster - Sat, 09/17/11 6:27 PM
A propane torch on high works in a pinch...no pun intended.

edwmax
  • Total Posts : 2015
Re:Cooking Lobster - Sat, 09/17/11 7:06 PM
She probably doesn't know the 'red' lobster IS cooked and only needs warming.  Live & fresh raw lobsters are not red.

dimmie2
  • Total Posts : 238
Re:Cooking Lobster - Sun, 09/18/11 2:53 PM
I'll never do live lobster or anything live as far as I'm concerned.  Lydia said to freeze 'em for a bit and then she starts cutting them apart.  In my mind, that's just cruel, whether or not they can 'feel' it. 

Twinwillow
Re:Cooking Lobster - Sun, 09/18/11 4:09 PM
Although I have cut open my share of "live" lobsters, (I also put them in the freezer for a while) they're the only living things I've ever dispatched.

I've watched enough shows of Anthony Bourdain, the original Japanese shows of Iron Chef, and Andrew Zimmern's shows to know I could never kill a live animal. Especially, a mammal!

Foodbme
Re:Cooking Lobster - Sun, 09/18/11 4:48 PM
dimmie2

I'll never do live lobster or anything live as far as I'm concerned.  Lydia said to freeze 'em for a bit and then she starts cutting them apart.  In my mind, that's just cruel, whether or not they can 'feel' it. 

So, have you ever eaten beef, pork, chicken? How do you think they get to the stage where you can eat them?
My 7 year old Grandson says he will never eat any animal but he likes McDonalds because he doesn't perceive it to be a cow. To him, it's just a McDonalds! 

bartl
  • Total Posts : 1208
Re:Cooking Lobster - Sun, 09/18/11 4:54 PM
Most of my lobsters I get steamed and chilled from the supermarket. They're $4-6 each, .75 to 1.5 pounds, and made from either lobsters who are going to die soon, or (especially when there are sales) from customers who ordered a steamed lobster over the phone and never picked it up. I usually hold out until I see a larger, hard shelled lobster (hard shells are just about to molt; the meat is a little firmer but much easier to separate from the shell). I either eat it cold with home-made mayonnaise or make a lobster roll out of it (although there was a thread a year or two ago on what to do with cold lobsters).

Bart

dimmie2
  • Total Posts : 238
Re:Cooking Lobster - Sun, 09/18/11 7:58 PM
Foodbme

dimmie2

So, have you ever eaten beef, pork, chicken? How do you think they get to the stage where you can eat them?

Of course, but I'll never take a living thing, cut into it or cook it myself, regardless of how tasty it might be.  

claracamille
  • Total Posts : 414
Re:Cooking Lobster - Sun, 09/25/11 9:23 AM
In the 1980's & 1990's my husband was in & out Boston for business.  He would pick up live lobsters on his way to the airport( I wonder if now he would be allowed to carry live lobsters on the plane!).  He would call me from the airport when he landed & I would get the pot ready.  A friend of ours had worked at a restaurant in Maine during college & she taught me how to cook lobsters.  Put 2-3  inches of water & salt in a large pot( I use a stock pot), place a metal steamer in the bottom, bring water to boil.  Immediately add the lobsters, head down.  Cover the pot ,bring back to boil.  For 1-1 1/2 lb lobsters, boil 10-12 minutes, add 2 minutes more for each 1/4 lb.  When done, place pot in sink, using kitchen towels, remove lobster from pot, holding the lobster over the sink, tail in one hand, body in the other,twist to separate, hold over the sink to drain.  Doing it this was way removes the excess water from the lobster.
I am a biology teacher & lobsters do not have a brain, but ganglia(nerves).  The lobster responds to stimuli( scratching the sides of the pot) but do not have an advanced nerve system to percieve "pain".  If this bothers you, then just don't eat lobsters.  I

Phishmonger
  • Total Posts : 217
Re:Cooking Lobster - Sun, 09/25/11 11:00 AM
Right on, Clara. That's the correct way to cook 'em. When I ran my fish market, I would cook lobsters almost daily using just that method. They always came out perfectly delicious. I also never had a problem shucking a fresh oyster or clam and eating them with a little cocktail sauce (they were alive moments before the shucking!) And remember...Seven Days without Seafood makes One Week.

Phishmonger
  • Total Posts : 217
Re:Cooking Lobster - Sun, 09/25/11 11:02 AM
Or WEAK, whatever.

Foodbme
Re:Cooking Lobster - Sun, 09/25/11 2:38 PM
Lobsters don't have Brains??? Who knew???

sk bob
  • Total Posts : 1801
Re:Cooking Lobster - Sun, 09/25/11 8:48 PM
come on moderaters JUNK THIS THREAD PLEASE

Twinwillow
Re:Cooking Lobster - Sun, 09/25/11 9:59 PM
Aww, it isn't that bad. 

claracamille
  • Total Posts : 414
Re:Cooking Lobster - Mon, 09/26/11 11:35 AM
Foodbme

Foodme,
Nope, lobsters just have a thick nerve for a brain.
Back in the olden days before PETA when I taught senior advanced biologyclass(15 students)/ inverterbrates, I would bring in a live loster to class.  I would have a large pot of boiling water on a bunsen burner.  I would use the lobster to teach the class, then boil the lobster for them to eat.  One of my most successful classes.  Some of the girls would not taste the lobster, but the boys fought over the last bite.  Of course, now I would get fired to doing such a thing, but that was always one of my favorite classes.

Foodbme
Re:Cooking Lobster - Tue, 09/27/11 1:57 AM
claracamille

Foodbme

Foodme,
Nope, lobsters just have a thick nerve for a brain.
Back in the olden days before PETA when I taught senior advanced biologyclass(15 students)/ inverterbrates, I would bring in a live loster to class.  I would have a large pot of boiling water on a bunsen burner.  I would use the lobster to teach the class, then boil the lobster for them to eat.  One of my most successful classes.  Some of the girls would not taste the lobster, but the boys fought over the last bite.  Of course, now I would get fired to doing such a thing, but that was always one of my favorite classes.

I had a HS Math teacher who used to smack me on the back of the head when I didn't "Get It" with his college class ring turned around! You paid attention in his classes, I Guar-on-tee! Ironically, I loved the guy! He was a great teacher.
He wound up being the Principal of the HS! Today, he would be fired AND sued!
I taught HS for 1 year. Loved it! Got tired of eating Hot Dogs & Kool-Aid and using 1/2 my salary to take classes to get tenure.