Hot!Favorite sides

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
autumneyez04
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 51
RE: Favorite sides 2004/02/21 03:49:54 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by clothier

EVOO?

That some kind of southern thing?

EVOO = Extra Virgin Olive Oil
autumneyez04
Hamburger
RE: Favorite sides 2004/02/21 03:59:48 (permalink)
Sides are my favorite part of the meal. During the holidays I cook up at least 4 sides

Some of my faves are:

*Carrot Suffle (I have Piccadilly's recipe. Sweet and Delicious)
*KFC Coleslaw
*Smothered Greenbeans with Bacon and Onions
*Broccoli Cornbread ( OUT OF THIS WORLD! )

In fact... Please try the Broccoli Cornbread! I'd eat it over dessert!

Broccoli Cornbread
2 boxes Jiffy corn muffin mix(MUST BE JIFFY)
4 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 sticks melted margarine (6 ounces)
1 pkg. (10 oz) chopped broccoli, thawed and drained
1 medium onion, chopped
1 cup cottage cheese
Combine all ingredients and pour into greased 9- X 13-inch baking dish. Bake at 375° degrees for 35 to 40 minutes, or until brown.

Sounds wierd I know but it's irresistable. Someone made this dish this past Christmas and I commented she was nuts. I was embarrassed when I couldn't stop eating it. Ended up bringing half the pan home and ate it cold out of the fridge. Goodness Gracious!
evilpez
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 18
RE: Favorite sides 2004/02/21 07:57:22 (permalink)

I love mint peas.

There's nothing like a side dish that freshens your breath while you enjoy them! And the best thing about them is the mint makes butter obsolete. So healthy and delicious!

Wouldn't you agree that sides are always a bit more un-healthy or decadent compared to the meat they share the plate with?

autumneyez04
Hamburger
RE: Favorite sides 2004/02/21 15:36:21 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by evilpez

I love mint peas.

There's nothing like a side dish that freshens your breath while you enjoy them! And the best thing about them is the mint makes butter obsolete. So healthy and delicious!

Wouldn't you agree that sides are always a bit more un-healthy or decadent compared to the meat they share the plate with?

I TOTALLY agree. Because I love sides which are always like an appetizer to me because they are dressed up so well or full of butter or fat of some kind usually, I dont even pay attention to the meat either!
RedPatti
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 135
RE: Favorite sides 2004/02/25 19:12:58 (permalink)
Very nice jingle.
Raclette recently served to me smelled like the loch ness monster's soggy boot and didn't taste much better.

Any side that doesn't have peas in it. Just got to love 'em all.

I too love the sides much more than the main entree item most times.
redtressed
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1017
RE: Favorite sides 2004/02/25 19:54:49 (permalink)
quote:
Ort. Carlton.
Double Cheeseburger

573 Posts
Posted - 02/25/2004 : 19:10:13
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
Originally posted by redtressed

la la la la la

Gravy on 'taters and Potatoes Au Gratin
beans in copper kettles and cornbread that's fittin'.
Exotic Raclette bound up in Spaghetti Squash Strings.
These are a few of my favorite things.

Creamed Lima beans and browned buttered noodles,
Bagatelles and farfels, oodles and oodles.
Wild onions fried with potatoes and greens.
These are a few of my favorite things.

Fern Furls and pecans in butter sauced stashes,
Latke cakes that accompany applesauce smashes.
Silver queen corn that go well with green beans
These are a few of my favorite things

When the gallbladder strikes
When the dinner check stings
When I'm feeling stuffed sad
I simply remember my favorite things
and then I don't feeeeeeeeeeellllllllllll soooooooooooooooo baddddddddddddddddddddddddd.

Sing along ![repeat verse]

Redtressed,
You done good, girl. If I ever make it to Morgantown, I'm gonna stop in and hug you for that one. Even if I'm married by that time. Even if I'm on my honeymoon. Even if there isn't anymore Stoney's Beer to be had. No matter what.
Congratulatorially, Ort. Carlton in 30601-Control Central.
P. S. If you're not a hugger, there are aplenty of easy alternatives. I am one; some people are not (alas).
P. P. S. You can also direct me to your favorite neighborhood thrift stores....

oh Ort , Ort , Ort......just marry me and we'll do a thrift shopping honey-do moon. Hit all the book sales from libraries, the 30 plus consignment stores that abound in this town, the indoor flea market, the outdoor major duty flea market , the Amish General store, the Salvation Army Store(much better selection there , than goodwill here.), and the afore mentioned Gabes, where one can buy everything from Victoria's Secret and Fredericks to Levi's and Hilfiger jeans........and even.....yes I said even Dean and Deluca selections. An example of pricing...mens Levis 401's for 6.99 a pair, and the essential hanes briefs 1.00 for 6 pair package(Gabes actually owns most of the Hanes Outlet stores). we can lunch at Starzyzak's where a gyro sammich is filled with 8 1/4 inch thick slices of gyro meat, artichoke hearts, feta cheese, sliced kalamata olives, field greens, baby spinach, sliced onions and sliced tomatoes marinated in Greek olive oil dressing, and a large side of homemade tziztlaki sauce, enveloped in a 13 inch homemade pita, at the cost of 3.75. We can journey a bit north to RT 40 in Pennsylvania and Maryland(the Old National Road) and eat at Penn Alps in Grantsville Maryland where livermush and scrapple both are featured on the all you can eat Amish buffett as well as REAL maple syrup. Or we can stop at Glissans, where the homemade rolls are the size of salad plates. But alas, Ort......my roadie love......the nectar of Stoney's I cannot offer you, but may be able to dazzle you with Rolling Rock. If you're really feeling frisky , my darlin'.......I'll take you to the Appalachian Brewing Pub. Be swift , my Georgia Cracker Bear
tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
RE: Favorite sides 2004/02/25 21:38:27 (permalink)
WOW!! heck of an offer Ort!
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Favorite sides 2004/02/25 23:43:09 (permalink)
Redtressed,
How can I refuse?
Getting Hungrily, Ort. in 30601-land.
P. S. They're getting ready to reopen the Portsmouth, Ohio suspension bridge in April. I have thought of driving up there for a beer-scouting and record-finding expedition (not to mention Roadfood!). Gracious sakes, you're tempting me! - After all, I can go from Morristown, Tennessee up I-81 and cut over through Bristol to Bluefield, then up to Beckley (where there's a Lustron house on the market, if it hasn't already sold). That road (19) leads to Charleston, whence I simply proceed northward until I come to Redtressiana. Doesn't look like too silly a veer off to get to Portsmouth (zag over from Charleston to Huntington to Ashland or some such). Hmmm. I wonder what foods I'll find? Pizza rolls?? Shoo-fly pie??? Apple pan dowdy???? - Can I ride the campus monorail????? Pretty please with livermush on it?????????
Rex Allen
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 157
RE: Favorite sides 2004/02/26 04:29:34 (permalink)
Food is soooooo cheeep back East. My daughter and I just drove her 18 wheeler to the east coast and back. We ate at every place we could find that was in the Sterns Books. Of course thay had to have enough space to park our rig. I live in very expensive San Diego where a studio apartment is $900.00 a month and food and every thing else is expensive. Gasoline today hit $2.20 a gallon for regular unleaded.
tiki
Filet Mignon
RE: Favorite sides 2004/02/26 07:24:32 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by autumneyez04

Sides are my favorite part of the meal. During the holidays I cook up at least 4 sides

Some of my faves are:

*Carrot Suffle (I have Piccadilly's recipe. Sweet and Delicious)

just recently discovered this and its good!!! Amazing how these southern folks seem have a dessert for every course!! Think you could share that recipe tooPlease please please!
Art Deco
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 890
RE: Favorite sides 2004/02/26 10:42:14 (permalink)
Current favorite sides (for fixing at home -- too many too mention for eating out) are:

Roasted Cauliflower
Roasted Broccoli & Garlic
Sauteed Mushrooms
Creamed Spinach
tiki
Filet Mignon
RE: Favorite sides 2004/02/26 16:38:17 (permalink)
Oh Pogo---that roasted cauliflower!!!Thanks again for the recipe!!my wife raves about it. Roast vegies are amazingly flavorful and this one realy surprised me with just how much of a difference from steaming---which i loved---but roasted,its amazing! Ive added a little Mrs Dash original to your recipe and i can see that it will be a favorite around here for a lon time.
Art Deco
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 890
RE: Favorite sides 2004/02/26 16:58:13 (permalink)
Glad you and your wife like it tiki!! Now you need to try it with broccoli -- do it the same as the cauliflower but add some chopped garlic to be roasted along with the broccoli -- don't cook it quite as long (it's not quite as forgiving as the cauliflower, but I like it even better at times). Enjoy!!
lamertz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 290
RE: Favorite sides 2004/02/27 07:57:11 (permalink)
Autumneye04,I,too,would love to have the recipe for the wonderful carrot souffle served at the equally wonderful Picadilly Cafeteria.Thanks in advance
Rick F.
  • Total Posts : 1736
RE: Favorite sides 2004/02/27 08:44:32 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by tiki
quote:
Originally posted by Rick F.

Depends on the menu, but in general: Fresh asparagus any time it's on a menu; Sausage gravy; Buttered new potatoes; Butter, salt, and fresh-ground pepper with a few mashed potatoes; Corn bread dressing; Hushpuppies; Mushrooms in any form; Refritos; Louisiana style red beans; Dirty rice (without liver or giblets); Sourdough toast; Mustard or turnip greens; Grits, especially with garlic and cheese; Beets; Onions, steamed or grilled; Tater Tots ().
Anything NOT on your list of "Favorites"
Very little! Rare fish in any form, I guess.
autumneyez04
Hamburger
RE: Favorite sides 2004/02/27 14:00:31 (permalink)
Tiki and Lamertz... here is the Carrot Souffle Recipe you wanted. Sorry I'm so late posting this. I forgot about this thread. Oops. This dish is so very wonderful especially for the holidays. Many consider this a dessert, its just sweet enough and delicious. Well worth the time to peel the carrots!!!

Piccadilly Carrot Souffle

3-1/2 LBS. peeled carrots
1-1/2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 tablespoon vanilla
1/4 cup flour
6 eggs
1/2 LB. butter (real butter please, 2 sticks)
powdered sugar

1.Steam or boil carrots until extra soft. drain well

2. while carrots are warm, add sugar, baking powder,and vanilla.

3. whip with mixer until smooth.

4. add flour and mix well

5. whip eggs and add to flour mixture, blend well.

6. add softened butter to mixture and blend well.

7. pour mixture into baking dish abou half full as the souffle' will rise.

8. bake in 350F oven about 1 hour or until top is a light golden brown.

9. sprinkle lightly with powdered sugar before serving. serves 10
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13548
RE: Favorite sides 2004/02/27 17:36:18 (permalink)
Ort, it is the Sundancers opinion that you need to get Blanch fired up, fix the cruise and head north. From What I read, you have a wonderful opportunity with a wonderful woman who has offered you something you cannot refuse.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Lucky Bishop
  • Total Posts : 1049
RE: Favorite sides 2004/02/28 00:55:32 (permalink)
Having read through the whole list, I agree with most of the offerings and will happily eat at least 90% of them.

But if we're talking absolute faves, I gotta go with the tater tots. Nothing beats a perfect tot.
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7290
RE: Favorite sides 2004/02/28 04:31:38 (permalink)
To my surprise, noone has mentioned broccoli rabe (rapini). Steamed, then sauteed in olive oil with fresh garlic and hot pepper flakes.......I just turned on SO to it after finding an affordable abundance of it in SoCal. We used to serve TONS of it when I was chef in an Italian resto in Boston.
We even brought some back to Alaska in our luggage! You can turn this "side dish" into a main course by adding cooked penne and a little grated romano.........manga, manga. The owner used to eat this nearly every night, after asking ME to make it. "I don't trust those bums (the cooks)."

Another favorite side dish in the spring is fava beans. Myriad of things you can do with them.

Late summer/early fall BEST side dish is FRIED PUMPKIN FLOWERS! While I have stuffed them at my hoity-toity restaurants with duxelles and other various fillings, the best is still just plain fried, right out of the garden, picked EARLY in the morning before the bugs get in them. Dipped in batter and deep fried. Oh, I used to HUG my Gramps and Nona when they made pumpkin flowers!
tiki
Filet Mignon
RE: Favorite sides 2004/02/28 07:07:18 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by lleechef

Late summer/early fall BEST side dish is FRIED PUMPKIN FLOWERS! While I have stuffed them at my hoity-toity restaurants with duxelles and other various fillings, the best is still just plain fried, right out of the garden, picked EARLY in the morning before the bugs get in them. Dipped in batter and deep fried. Oh, I used to HUG my Gramps and Nona when they made pumpkin flowers!

mine did the same---and with zuccini blossoms in spring--folks thought my Grampa was nuts---"What the heck ya going do with ten million zuccini's?---Your neighbors will hate you!" well--those "way to many zuccinis never produced squash--but they did provide blossums every day for a month!
tiki
Filet Mignon
RE: Favorite sides 2004/02/28 07:08:38 (permalink)
Autmneyes----Thanks!! Glad i started this thread--got some great recipes.
lamertz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 290
RE: Favorite sides 2004/02/28 09:04:51 (permalink)
Thanks for the carrot soufle recipe. I knew it had a lot of sugar,but wow! I'm going to try it with half. I guess that's why it's called the Sugar Belt!!
Lucky Bishop
  • Total Posts : 1049
RE: Favorite sides 2004/02/29 18:56:40 (permalink)
Hey, lleechef, help me out with the broocoli rabe: my wife and I love it in restaurants, but the one time I ever made it at home, it was almost inedibly bitter, much more so than it usually is. What did I do wrong? My guess is I overcooked it.
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: Favorite sides 2004/02/29 20:07:02 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Lucky Bishop

Hey, lleechef, help me out with the broocoli rabe: my wife and I love it in restaurants, but the one time I ever made it at home, it was almost inedibly bitter, much more so than it usually is. What did I do wrong? My guess is I overcooked it.

Well, it is a "bitter" green. I blanch it in salted, boiling water (salt and bring water to a boil, THEN put rabe in!) for about 2 mins. Into a collander and run under COLD water to stop the cooking. You can do this part whenever you want. When you want to serve the rabe, put some olive oil in a saute pan with some chopped garlic (and a few hot pepper flakes if you like). Brown the garlic slightly and add rabe, a little salt and pepper. Toss in the olive oil and garlic (uncovered!) until hot. I just turned my SO on to this delicious vegetable and he's HOOKED!!!

The best brand, and preferred by chefs is Andy Boy from CA.
autumneyez04
Hamburger
RE: Favorite sides 2004/03/01 03:51:26 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by lamertz

Thanks for the carrot soufle recipe. I knew it had a lot of sugar,but wow! I'm going to try it with half. I guess that's why it's called the Sugar Belt!!

Haha I never said this was a healthy recipe. Tis why it serves 10 I think. Everyone gets a small portion, just enough to tease them to want more! Thats the beauty of it.

I do reccomend to sprinkle a thicker layer of confectioners sugar on top if you use less sugar in the recipe. DO NOT skimp on the BUTTER! The butter is the KEY ingredient that makes it silky, smooth, and of course buttery to compliment the sugar on top!

You can't go wrong with this
tiki
Filet Mignon
RE: Favorite sides 2004/03/01 08:00:27 (permalink)
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Lucky Bishop

Well, it is a "bitter" green. I blanch it in salted, boiling water (salt and bring water to a boil, THEN put rabe in!) for about 2 mins. Into a collander and run under COLD water to stop the cooking. You can do this part whenever you want. When you want to serve the rabe, put some olive oil in a saute pan with some chopped garlic (and a few hot pepper flakes if you like). Brown the garlic slightly and add rabe, a little salt and pepper. Toss in the olive oil and garlic (uncovered!) until hot. I just turned my SO on to this delicious vegetable and he's HOOKED!!!

The best brand, and preferred by chefs is Andy Boy from CA.

My favorite way to cook greens of any type!!! I LOVE collards done exactly this way,slice em in thin strips and just "wilt" them in the boiling salt water,usually in my wok--it cooks quick and cleans up quick.---oh and i agree with you about the brand--Andy Boy-- they sell great vegies.Still the only thing i really miss about living in California---the farmers market in Chico had at least 20-25 vendors in the worst weather and 40-50 in the good---not counting the crafts folks.and fresh greens 12 mos a year!!
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: Favorite sides 2004/03/01 13:27:28 (permalink)
tiki, you are SOOOOOOO right about Andy Boy! At the resto I would buy nothing BUT Andy Boy romaine, rabe and broccoli.
The old Italian gangster that owned the restaurant where I was chef turned me onto Andy Boy......"I gotta go to the market at 4AM so I can get Andy Boy!"
alesrus
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 293
RE: Favorite sides 2004/03/01 13:35:37 (permalink)
quote:

Wow! Thanks for the memories. When I was very young like first grade I used to stay at my best friends house every other weekend and I will always remember his mom making fried flowers. Her son would not touch them with a ten foot pole but I loved them.
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: Favorite sides 2004/03/01 14:18:47 (permalink)
"Gramps, why do you plant so many pumpkin plants??" Me at 6 or 7 years old. "Because"
was always the answer. "Why don't we ever have any pumpkins??" "Because". He wasn't big on conversation.

But every morning there was that collander FULL of pumpkin flowers, ready to be fried for the mid-day meal!
fcbaldwin
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 388
RE: Favorite sides 2004/03/16 09:18:37 (permalink)
In the summer, among my favorite sides is "summer salad" which is simply sliced home-grown tomatoes, sliced cukes, sliced sweet onions (like Vidalia), and peppers all covered with oil and vinegar and salt and pepper (Keep the platter of this covered and chilling in the fridge until you're ready). I think I'll start tilling up the little vegetable garden spot this weekend.
Frank
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1