I'm done with Cracker Barrel

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Double Chili Cheeseburger
2011/07/17 19:29:54
At least for the country fried steak. This thing is just a hockey puck now. I guess it's just a frozen prebreaded patty that's heated up when you order. It certainly wasn't like that several years back. I still like the veggies, had turnip greens, mashed potatoes and pintos. Still like the cornbread and biscuits. Unfortunately all three of us had the country fried steak so we don't know if anything would've been better. They are currently featuring Texas Brisket and bbq chicken and I think I would have been better off trying that though I can't imagine them doing Texas brisket right.
Greymo
Filet Mignon
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/17 19:48:02

Well, I  cannot make a really good biscuit to save my life  but  the biscuit that I had  last week in  PA  at a Cracker Barrel was so dreadful  that it made mine  look awesome.

post edited by Greymo - 2011/07/17 19:49:56
ces1948
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/17 19:58:33
The best biscuits I can make come from a "Grands" can. Cracker Barrel probably bakes theirs fresh. I only had 1/2 a biscuit but ate almost all the corn bread.
ChrisOC
Double Cheeseburger
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/17 20:30:05
I have only eaten at Cracker Barrel once, but I had a fairly decent breakfaet.
NascarDad
Cheeseburger
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/17 20:59:41
ces1948

The best biscuits I can make come from a "Grands" can. Cracker Barrel probably bakes theirs fresh. I only had 1/2 a biscuit but ate almost all the corn bread.

The only "tubey" biscuits I find palatable are made by the Immaculate Baking Company .  No nasty chemicals and actual buttermilk instead of artificial flavors.  Whole Foods sells them, along with Fresh Market.  Trader Joes Brand biscuits, I am convinced, are just the same brand relabeled.

I find most tube biscuits pretty vile, these are not bad, especially piping hot

ces1948
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/17 22:27:02
I am really disappointed in my last few experiences with Cracker Barrel. Maybe it's because we live in Florida now and most of the good experiences were in Tennessee. Or maybe the whole chain is going down the tubes.
rumaki
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/18 18:36:28
I do think there are some variations from Cracker Barrel to Cracker Barrel.  I had a very good meal in April at one in Northwest Indianapolis.  I had driven in from the airport, and had  arrived at my destination with an hour to spare, and hadn't had lunch, and there was a CB  nearby, so I thought, why not?   I had fried chicken livers which were fine; I thought the biscuits were not bad -- they were the sort of thick, damp kind, as opposed to the drier, flakier kind; and I enjoyed the greens. The carrots, however, were those miniature ones, and I didn't like them much.

If I eat at a CB every four years, that's as often as it happens.  Of course true Roadfood is preferable, but it hard to find authentic southern-style food up here in the Great Frozen North.

I will not use canned biscuits for anything.  Biscuits are just too simple to make yourself to justify using those awful things, IMHO.

MellowRoast
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/18 18:39:48
Yes, the food quality can vary from location to location.  Their fried cod on Fridays really rocks, though. 
felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/18 19:05:17
rumaki

I will not use canned biscuits for anything.  Biscuits are just too simple to make yourself to justify using those awful things, IMHO.

Unless you are yeast-inept. I can make baking powder biscuits all day long, but the only way I'm going to get biscuits that actually rise is if I buy Grands. I'm OK with that.
bartl
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/18 19:17:05
Re: Biscuits
I used a mix; for the last few years that mix has been Hodgson Mill's Insta-Bake; the biscuits come out fine and I like the whole wheat flavor (I use it as a fried chicken coating, too, with my own seasonings added).

Bart
Cosmos
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/18 22:07:33
I was done with Cracker Barrel after the first time I ate there...

ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/18 23:59:36
The only thing I like about Cracker Barrel is their little store in front. Lots of "retro" candy. After that, its a no go.I just have never had a meal beyond mediocre at any of their locations.
tkitna
Double Cheeseburger
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/19 06:12:29
If they didnt have the best pancakes in the world, i'd be done with them too.
mjambro
Cheeseburger
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/19 06:31:52
tkitna

You really need to get out a bit more.  For a start, it's evident you've never had fresh blueberries with your pancakes nor real maple syrup.....  for a start.

Oh, I get it, you're done with them too.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/19 08:02:43
How can I be done with a place that I've never stepped foot  into and have no intention of ever doing so! 
HollyDolly
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/19 09:03:42
Haven't been there in years.Ate there once with my dad at the one at IH35North and Ritterman Road in San Antonio, since it is the closest one to where I live.It wasn't bad.+However, he made many of the foods offered there at home, we just wanted to try it. For us, it was Pillsbury biscuits in the can or momma used Bisquick. Thinking about this made me remember his tomatoes,okra and bacon, and other stuff he made.
Now you guys have made me want to try the place again.
A friend of mine told me about Pappy G's in Universal City. It has home cooking,and a local place not a chain.She thought it was pretty good. I'll have to look to see if they have chicken fried steak. I don't mind eating it on occasion, but sometimes in careless hands it is just as you describe.
AndreaB
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/19 11:38:12
I'm still going to defend Cracker Barrel as a decent stop while on the road, especially if you don't have time to take the time to go to a roadfood place.
I've never gotten sick there, most things taste good, and at most places service is pretty fast. 
leethebard
Sirloin
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/19 12:24:34
AndreaB

I'm still going to defend Cracker Barrel as a decent stop while on the road, especially if you don't have time to take the time to go to a roadfood place.
I've never gotten sick there, most things taste good, and at most places service is pretty fast. 

I agree...I guess it's "in" to pan every chain...but when we're travelling and don't want to search out roadfood (many hit and miss stops, turn out to be miss,too, you know), we can count on Cracker Barrel for a great breakfast or OK lunch at a very inexpensive price...and yes, we too, love the retro candy and other stuff(always in the exact same locations)Pleasant diversion when travelling!
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/19 13:19:58
If a website or book approved roadfood restaurant is out of the way to your intended destination or if you prefer to check  out another place, I've discovered that Yelp and Urbanspoon can be your best friend in discovering excellent new places, so it doesn't have to be hit or miss.

Listen all of the POSTERS can go to cracker barrel if they want, but if us small select, far and few between ROADFOODERS prefer to go elsewhere, then so be it.
felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/19 13:30:29
wanderingjew

Listen all of the POSTERS can go to cracker barrel if they want, but if us small select, far and few between ROADFOODERS prefer to go elsewhere, then so be it.

True. But all y'all ROADFOODERS need to stop being so self-righteous when some of us choose to go to a known entity when on the road rather than gambling on an unknown, especially when we have more than once been disappointed in a roadfood-recommended establishment.
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/19 13:56:00
All I have to say is if you like Cracker Barrel, great. If that is your go-to place on the road, great. I certainly am not at all putting you down. But my experience has been different. And my opinion, well, is just that. End of story.
phatphil
Double Cheeseburger
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/19 14:14:54
the west palm beach location has decent food, the only problem is i go for the biscuits and cornbread they put on the table with butter and jellies and the last 3 times we had to ask 3 or 4 times and they were brought after our meal, all 3 times we waited nearly an hour to eat too
Greymo
Filet Mignon
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/19 14:18:40
WJ, Just because someone has gone to a Cracker Barrel does not necessarily make them  a " poster",  rather than a true "Roadfooder".  The only reason that I went to a Cracker Barrel last week was because I was someone's guest.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/19 14:32:35
felix4067

wanderingjew

True. But all y'all ROADFOODERS need to stop being so self-righteous when some of us choose to go to a known entity when on the road rather than gambling on an unknown, especially when we have more than once been disappointed in a roadfood-recommended establishment.

I've never been self righteous. You can all go where you want, however.... 
First and foremost  this is a website about  Roadfood , I know and have learned to accept that this website also attracts posters that just like FOOD-  I  won't go into specifics of the type or quality because it will unjustifiably offend people, and then then of course there are people who just like forums and posting on the internet.

When I first started posting here I thought that the majority of people here were fans of the Sterns Roadfood books, I found out,although it took a while for me to realize that wasn't the case. Many had never heard of the Stern's and certainly didn't evern know that they authored the Roadfood books.

Listen there are people who "razzle me" because I don't work out and pump iron 4 hours a day everyday or drink protein shakes and eat Protein bars. I don't consider them self righteous- that's just what they choose to do.  

That's all there is....

wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/19 14:36:30
Greymo

WJ, Just because someone has gone to a Cracker Barrel does not necessarily make them  a " poster",  rather than a true "Roadfooder".  The only reason that I went to a Cracker Barrel last week was because I was someone's guest.

I  never said that....I'm talking about folks who constantly go to chains. Hey when I'm home I hardly ever go out to eat unless I'm socializing, last year I was forced to go to an Applebees- I drank!

joerogo
Filet Mignon
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/19 14:47:49
I can't believe WanderingJew doesn't work out!
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/19 15:13:31
joerogo

I can't believe WanderingJew doesn't work out!

Hey, I may not pump iron, but you're more than welcome to go on a 4 mile power walk with me! How do you think I maintain my "boyish" figure!
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/19 17:19:26
AndreaB

While this thread has invariably turned into the "I hate chains" versus the "I like chains" argument that crops up every so often (of which, I would like to point out, I am trying to stay out of the fray, this time), this may be the most confusing statement I've read.

I bolded the part that I needed, but I am curious as to why it would take more time to go to a "Roadfood place" than a Cracker Barrel?  Is the assumption that service is slower at the "Roadfood place" than elsewhere?  I don't get it.
ces1948
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/19 19:04:43
I generally always been pleased with the breakfasts from there. In fact I think their sausage and bacon is outstanding. I used to buy the take home packages of bacon and sausage. Their sausage is made by Purnell's of Tennessee and is more of a ham sausage. Don't recall who make their bacon or country ham.
My original post was about the poor quality of the country fried steak which has gone down hill quite a bit in the last few years imo.
felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/19 19:04:50
The Travelin Man

AndreaB

While this thread has invariably turned into the "I hate chains" versus the "I like chains" argument that crops up every so often (of which, I would like to point out, I am trying to stay out of the fray, this time), this may be the most confusing statement I've read.

I bolded the part that I needed, but I am curious as to why it would take more time to go to a "Roadfood place" than a Cracker Barrel?  Is the assumption that service is slower at the "Roadfood place" than elsewhere?  I don't get it.

I know you weren't asking me, but I can tell you why that makes sense to me. Chains like Cracker Barrel are almost always located in a shopping district or other area with a ton of places you're probably already going, and most often right off the freeway. Roadfood places often require a drive of many miles from where everything else you're doing is located. I remember trying to go to Hays BBQ on my way through Tennessee...turn south off of I-40, then drive for 30 minutes, then turn again and drive another ten minutes out of town. Only to get there and find that they were closed because they ran out of meat. I believe that night I ate at McDonald's, because I was an hour off my travelling path and completely unfamiliar with the area.
leethebard
Sirloin
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/19 20:11:25
Yes,I think that's what some of us are saying. Cracker Barrels and such are located usually right off a throughway exit. My family sees the Cracker Barrel logo at a coming exit. and we decide to stop. If we're not familiar with the area in which we're travelling, at least we're familiar with Cracker Barrell, and know the menu. To drive up and down a random exit looking for some roadfood place that might be ok for a quick meal while travelling and on a schedule, just isn't practical!!If we've heard of a roadfood place and it's where we're travelling, that's a different story.
leethebard
Sirloin
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/19 20:15:22
Besides we like the food and usually know ahead of arrival what we'll order. So it's NOT just convenience. No amount of convenience would make us turn off an exit for a McDonalds, Arby's, Pizza Hut and such....we just keep driving 'til a friendlier logo shows itself. If we're off the beaten path, and a cool mom & pop place presents itself, that works, too!
tkitna
Double Cheeseburger
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/20 02:31:06
mjambro

tkitna

You really need to get out a bit more.  For a start, it's evident you've never had fresh blueberries with your pancakes nor real maple syrup.....  for a start.

Please, i've eaten tons of pancakes (including my own) in tons of states, cities, and food places and I happen to think Cracker Barrel makes a darn good pancake. I realize snubbing chains is the thing to do around here, but they get some things right sometimes and this is one of them.

ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/20 03:59:44
Again, its all good, my friends!! I will avoid Cracker Barrel- I would rather eat at McDonalds. Cracker Barrel has never made my eggs correctly( over easy-they were over hard) the biscuits and gravy were gloppy and flavorless, and the hash browns were not browned. Enjoy all you want; I will NOT go back.
MellowRoast
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/20 08:09:29
Cracker Barrel has some good things on the menu, and of course, any restaurant can have bad days.  The breakfast menu has generally been excellent for me, but I agree with Ann on the gravy.  It's gloppy, gelatin-like, and to me, the smoky flavor is a turn-off.   Part of the problem is the gravy is made from a mix.  Also, most of their cooks can't properly cook grits.  Generally, the grits are undercooked and runny.  (Imagine a Tennessee-based restaurant that can't cook grits!)  Their pancakes, surprisingly served with real maple syrup and real butter, are excellent, and I usually order them with pecans and blueberries.   
post edited by MellowRoast - 2011/07/20 09:01:35
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/20 08:48:37
tkitna

mjambro

tkitna

Please, i've eaten tons of pancakes (including my own) in tons of states, cities, and food places and I happen to think Cracker Barrel makes a darn good pancake. I realize snubbing chains is the thing to do around here, but they get some things right sometimes and this is one of them.

I've eaten tons of pancakes too and it appears you must have skipped
Vermont- the pancake capital of the nation.  With places like Blue Benn Diner, Dots, Eaton's Sugar House, Sugar and Spice among many others, I can assure you they would blow the pancakes at Cracker Barrel right out of the water.
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/20 08:52:27
I'm just curious, but how would you know that if you've never eaten at the Cracker Barrel?

Greymo
Filet Mignon
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/20 09:00:24
He took my word on it
ces1948
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/20 09:00:59
There's only so much you can do to make pancakes. I'm speaking traditional pancakes here not some exotic blend. Probably 3-4 ingredients.
HollyDolly
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/20 09:18:13
It's like anywhere.You can go to some chain place while traveling, and it may be good where you live, and lousy in Louisville. Even in cities themselves, you could eat at say Chili's in Selma,out IH35N,and be wonderful, and the one over on say IH10 out by Six Flags Fiesta Texas is lousy. These are examples, but you get my drift.I think some of that depends on who is running the kitchen.
And you can get lousy roadfood at mom and pop places too.
When we traveled it was McDonald's or some such place when driving the interstate.When we would get to Buffalo, we would go to Ted's Hot Dogs, or other local places my parents had eaten at,they met in Buffalo ,Ny when daddy was stationed there for the Airforce. Or when we would go to Milwaukee, we would ask relatives for  new places sometimes.Hot Springs,it was always at my great aunts most of the time,cause daddy's aunts would always feed us and even if we ate lunch,offer us coffee and dessert.  When we would take them out to eat, we would ask then where to go.
Listen, there are local places here i haven't tried, like Bohannon's Brieztke's Station out in New Berlin,and I 've lived here in South Texas for 40 years.Driven through the town lots of times over the years,just never stopped there, and I'm a local yokel.So folks don't feel bad if you don't do a detour to go out of your way to eat at some roadfood place. Alot of them don't have websites,so you have no way of knowing if they are even in business anymore.
I haven't eaten at Abel's Diner in Schertz in ages.It's a roadfood place, on your way down IH35 South.You have to get off at the FM3009-Schertz exit,and stay on the access road.been there for years. but the place gets packed, and not a lot of parking so that maybe why.
NascarDad
Cheeseburger
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/20 09:19:32
I try to avoid chains as much as possible.  It can be tough when traveling but I try to plan ahead to find non chain places, and use this site and others to help with that. 

Chains do have a lot of advantages especially if you are in a hurry.  They usually are close to exits on the interstate, and usually ample easy parking.  they aren't usually in questionable neighborhoods, and generally easy to get in and out of.  They often have signs on the interstate exits pointing the way.

The food is consistent so you know what to expect.  They almost always have online menus, so you can help plan ahead for any with special dietary needs, picky eaters, or if you are looking for one dish in particular.

And some of the high end chains even have very good food (Flemings , for example, and most of the time Ruth's Chris.  Even Maggianos)

The reason Roadfood has become so precious is that it survives DESPITE all these built in advantages of the chains. 

In the end its a matter of taste and a balancing of priorities.  One time when my family wanted to meet at an Applebees I offered to pay the meal if they could have it somewhere local - and it worked :)  If I wasn't as blessed as I am, I would have been stuck at Applebees.  Sometimes its all about the trip and there is no time to research - going to a funeral somewhere you have rarely if ever gone, for example.  I even found myself going to a Cheesecake Factory once because, well, that is where someone wanted to go for their birthday. 

Still my heart lies with the local joints, especially the ones with classic roadfood, and I spend some of my time and effort for any trip to try and gets as much of it as I can, to visit old favorites and try a few new places; and then share that info here.

As far as Cracker Barrel, for various reasons I don't go to the one in Winchester anymore and have found some nice diners nearby.  Now, they aren't as convenient, but the food is better and they both have their own local charm. When I can, that is what I try to find, which is what brought me to Roadfood.com in the firstplace

ces1948
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/20 09:32:05
Quite often it will be a location or even an area that falls down on the job. We found that when we lived in Tennessee most Cracker Barrel meals were good. Recently back here in Florida we've had  somewhat lousy meals at the Ft. Pierce and Stuart locations. That's what's weird about it. Chains are supposed to give you the same food regardless of which location you stop. That's really one of the basic foundations of a chain.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/20 09:39:41
The Travelin Man

I'm just curious, but how would you know that if you've never eaten at the Cracker Barrel?

What Greymo said!

Dammit! Now I want me some Pancakes!

I'll have to settle for a plateful of Jonnycakes at Jiggers, this coming Saturday
mjambro
Cheeseburger
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/20 12:15:35
ces1948

There's only so much you can do to make pancakes. I'm speaking traditional pancakes here not some exotic blend. Probably 3-4 ingredients.

For a start, not over mixing the batter is critical for a light, fluffy pancake.  The average short order cook in a chain typically has no concept of that critical step (over cooking is another typical problem).  Next, of course is the quality of the added fruit.   Fresh is obviously best, but is obviously not always available.  Chains almost never use fresh because consistency over rides quality.  I've had frozen fruit that's quite excellent and many that have been quit poor.  There is NO reason to ever use compote.  Lastly, real maple syrup is a treat, but I can understand why some will bypass real due to cost (We typically carry along our own, if we plan ahead). 
mjambro
Cheeseburger
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/20 12:20:05
wanderingjew

The Travelin Man

What Greymo said!

I'll have to settle for a plateful of Jonnycakes at Jiggers, this coming Saturday

Actually, we've found Jiggers to have about the best blueberry pancakes south of Maine.   Our gold standard is at the Huckleberry in Ogunquit, ME (Maine diner is quite good, but over rated IMO).

Why not do the Cracker Barrel challenge?   Try some at the CB Coventry location and then at Jiggers (or visa versa, but you may not finish those at Coventry)?
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/20 13:23:56
mjambro

wanderingjew

The Travelin Man

What Greymo said!

Actually, we've found Jiggers to have about the best blueberry pancakes south of Maine.   Our gold standard is at the Huckleberry in Ogunquit, ME (Maine diner is quite good, but over rated IMO).

Why not do the Cracker Barrel challenge?   Try some at the CB Coventry location and then at Jiggers (or visa versa, but you may not finish those at Coventry)?

I would but I'm a health nut when I'm at home and I watch my carb intake.
I don't even do maple syrup on the Johnny Cakes (and I only get 3 vs 5)- just butter- and with a side of Canadian Bacon, I'm good to go. Although I do drink the coffee at Jigger's after breakfast I always go next door to Main Street Coffee for a good strong french roast and then walk back to my condo from there.
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/20 13:35:12
The Travelin Man

mjambro
Cheeseburger
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/20 16:33:25
AndreaB

I've never gotten sick there 

Well, that is one positive point about Cracker Barrel.
MellowRoast
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/20 16:57:06
AndreaB
I've never gotten sick there....

I got food poisoning from a salad at the Cracker Barrel in Calhoun, Georgia about 5 years ago.
leethebard
Sirloin
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/20 17:46:36
And I've gotten very ill from some poor roadfood mom and pop's!
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/20 18:06:37
leethebard

Please tell us which Roadfood restaurant's food made you ill, so we can avoid it!
leethebard
Sirloin
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/20 18:36:30
It was a diner years ago in south Jersey. Don.t remember the name...but not far from Storybook Land where we had taken our kids. My wife has also been taken ill from a bad salad at a small restaurant near Maryland last year....and we've eaten in Cracker barrels...probably 8-9 different ones multiple times(for some) and ...so far so good! My point is bad food can happen anywhere. It's the preparer's fault. Whether its a sacred roadfood or a lowly chain. Eat where you like.You hate Cracker Barrel, don't go.I hate Pizza Hut, I don't go. But please, an opinion around here is still just that...opinion. I love roadfood, and in 65 years have had my share, and then some.And I love learning about new finds as a member here.  But we also frequent select chains my wife and kids like,,,different experiences. Both can be fun and also provide a good meal.....and vice versa. Just my thoughts. Sorry to ramble on!!!!
ces1948
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/20 18:52:03
The only time I've gotten food poisoning was on a cruise ship many years ago. Not sure if that would be considered roadfood or seafood.
AndreaB
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/20 22:30:21
felix4067

The Travelin Man

AndreaB

I know you weren't asking me, but I can tell you why that makes sense to me. Chains like Cracker Barrel are almost always located in a shopping district or other area with a ton of places you're probably already going, and most often right off the freeway. Roadfood places often require a drive of many miles from where everything else you're doing is located. I remember trying to go to Hays BBQ on my way through Tennessee...turn south off of I-40, then drive for 30 minutes, then turn again and drive another ten minutes out of town. Only to get there and find that they were closed because they ran out of meat. I believe that night I ate at McDonald's, because I was an hour off my travelling path and completely unfamiliar with the area.

BINGO felix4067 - the "right off the freeway" nails it for me.

Poverty Pete
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/20 23:38:36
Every single time I have ever met up with Wandering Jew, he has been willing to match me weight for weight, 16 oz. at a time.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/21 08:01:44
MiamiDon

leethebard

Please tell us which Roadfood restaurant's food made you ill, so we can avoid it!

Harold's BBQ- Atlanta
and
Irondale Cafe- Irondale AL- 
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/21 08:04:18
Poverty Pete

Every single time I have ever met up with Wandering Jew, he has been willing to match me weight for weight, 16 oz. at a time.

Hey, I was talking about power walking, not power beer drinking!
Louis
Double Cheeseburger
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/21 10:42:55
There is a Cracker Barrel literally 90 seconds away from my front door.  I don't patronize it all that often.  When I do, it's because it's convenient.  Like any other chain, you have to wade through the menu a few times and experiment to find something you like.

I've found that I like their red-eye gravy.  By itself it's no good, but when you've crumbled up a whole piece of cornbread (or a piece at a time) and crumbled it into to gravy and let it soak for a few minutes, it's a nice little treat.  Unusual anyway.

The waiters and waitresses who wait on me have never heard of red-eye gravy (and this is in the South!), even when it's on their own menu.  What's the world coming to?

felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/21 10:49:11
I guess my problem is with people who insist other people are stupid, or ignorant, or any number of other things because they like Cracker Barrel. Or any other chain. God forbid we each have different taste!
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:I'm done with Cracker Barrel 2011/07/21 11:06:50
felix4067

I guess my problem is with people who insist other people are stupid, or ignorant, or any number of other things because they like Cracker Barrel. Or any other chain. God forbid we each have different taste!

Really??????

Please show me where anyone mentioned that other people are stupid or ignorant?

I don't see it anywhere...

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2