"Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 2 of 5
Author
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2003/10/27 07:01:18 (permalink)
Scott: I've tried to use the marinade ( fresh from the bottle, not the used marinade) as a sauce, but it just seems to be more of the same and I'm looking for some kind of contrast.
Someone put a recipe for "Tsatziki sauce" for use on spiedies a while back. I'd copied it
but never got around to using it. Seems like the sauce used on Gyros which I like a whole lot. The Salimida marinade is available in our local supermarkets and has been for the last couple of years. And, the Lupo's we visited is on State St. about six or seven blocks north of Court St. next door to a place called "Anthony's" - they share a parking lot. Next time I'm in Binghamton I'll try the Wegman's food court - must be OK if Salimida himself recommends it.
bumper
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 96
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2003/11/06 18:10:21 (permalink)
Ingles in on Oak Ridge Hwy. IN Knoxville TN has this sauce and I'm cooking some pork tonite that has been in the marinade for 2 days !

scottmahaffy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 28
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2003/11/07 11:16:35 (permalink)
Great Bumper! Im in the Knoxville Area too, Hope you enjoy your Spiedie experience! I have some in marinade right now too - I am drueling as we speak. Spread the word and keep us posted - Enjoy! Scot
quote:
Originally posted by bumper

Ingles in on Oak Ridge Hwy. IN Knoxville TN has this sauce and I'm cooking some pork tonite that has been in the marinade for 2 days !

fafaru
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2003/11/24 20:15:52 (permalink)
I ate at Sharkey's recently and was most impressed at the friendliness of the people there. Less enthralled with the spiedie, and disappointed in myself for letting my focus on trying a spiedie causing me to not order some other great things available, like the smelts.
scottmahaffy
Junior Burger
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2003/11/24 21:57:51 (permalink)
Sorry you had a bad experience with the spiedie at sharkies - so far a thumbs up, a so-so, and a thumbs down on sharkies spiedie. I hope this doesn't jade your spiedie experience -- I recommend cooking spiedies yourself at least once - that way you can control the entire process, and not have to wonder if the cook at a restaurant may be having a a good or bad day.PLEASE EVERYONE keep us posted on your spiedie experiences - but keep in mind that with every new thing you try you will have good and bad expieriences - just keep trying!(This in my opinion is one of the worst things to happen to the restaurant industry -- one time you go its great - next time you go its awful -- hope they work on QUALITY CONTROL!)
quote:
Originally posted by fafaru

I ate at Sharkey's recently and was most impressed at the friendliness of the people there. Less enthralled with the spiedie, and disappointed in myself for letting my focus on trying a spiedie causing me to not order some other great things available, like the smelts.
spiedielvr
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2004/01/04 03:45:55 (permalink)
The best spiedie snadwich is is done with the meat placed on the skewers so that it is not only touching, but relativly tight. This gives a nice charred outside, and contrasting texture on the inside. Most commercial spiedie joints don't use skewers, and in the case of Sharky's, they do use skewers, but space the meat apart so it doesn't really touch on the skewer. I suspect that this is so it is easier to cook through. It probably keeps the cost from getting out of control too. They do serve your spiedie to you with sliced Italian bread. This is the right thing to do! Pull the meat off the skewer with the bread. If this operation were done for you in the kitchen, you may change your mind about eating. This is what I suspect is the reason for the Hoagie roll. You can take the meat off the skewer and put it in the hoagie roll without mangling the roll. There is more to a good spiedie than properly marinated meat cubes.
circle48
Junior Burger
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2004/01/18 18:59:21 (permalink)
spiedies, Grew up on them, spent many hours eating at sharky's
clams,spiedies,and city chicken We order from rob all the time.
We cook them at the RIR races, Everyone wants to know what we are cooking.
Our problem is the italian bread, Can't get the real thing here in the south. close but not quite
Maybe I'll e-mail rob
jm199
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 216
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2004/02/07 15:48:57 (permalink)
Thought that this might come in handy. Here is a site from the PBS show, Sandwiches You Will Like, that has a recipe for Spiedies, and other information on Sharkey's and Lupo's. Enjoy!

www.wqed.org/tv/natl/sandwiches/cookbook.shtml
JDSpiedies
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 48
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2004/03/13 16:45:22 (permalink)
Being that I from the NY Metro Area, I travel to Middletown< NEw York to Price Chooper and sometimes Hanneford to buy the State Fair Spiedie Sauce. I have been taking some cooking classes at my local community college and I made some Spiedies. THEY WERE A HIT!!!!!
scottmahaffy
Junior Burger
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2004/03/14 13:53:34 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by JDSpiedies

Being that I from the NY Metro Area, I travel to Middletown< NEw York to Price Chooper and sometimes Hanneford to buy the State Fair Spiedie Sauce. I have been taking some cooking classes at my local community college and I made some Spiedies. THEY WERE A HIT!!!!!
GREAT NEWS - thank you for participating -- Once again it is time to dust the snow off the BBQ and get fired up for nice weather and SPIEDIES on the Grill! Lets convert America to SPIEDIE LOVERS - "One Grill at a time!" - keep us posted! Bring your friends - after all SPIEDIES are too good to keep to ourselves! Scott
DisneyHokie
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2004/04/05 21:49:59 (permalink)
Ohhh my god..Sharkey's city chicken..I'm so glad a lot of family is from there so I luckily grew up with that awesome stuff :)
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2004/04/05 22:41:31 (permalink)
ScottMahaffy, All Y'all,
Thank you so much, Scott, for posting about Spiedie Grill in Norcross. When I am mobile again, I will spied over there and report back and tell y'all what I think. By the way, what was your verdict on the place, or have you managed to get there yet?
We can find the Rob Salmadia (sp.?) sauce here with little difficulty. The influx of outlanders to Georgia is expanding everyone's culinary horizons. This is a prime example.
Thanks again.
Absent From Sanitaria Springs (That's 6 Miles NE of Binghamton), But Sleeping At The Endofmycott, Ort. Carlton in Amazing Athens, Georgia.
scottmahaffy
Junior Burger
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2004/04/05 22:59:31 (permalink)
Great to hear we are making life a little better here in the Spiedie Forum. I have not tried the spiedie grill as I live near Knoxville, TN but I formerly have lived all over the Atlanta area unfortunately BEFORE such a culinary delight was available - BUMMER! But I hope they do the spiedie legend justice so it may thrive and multiply all over the area and points beyond. As far as I know they offer only chicken spiedies. Please let us know how they rate after you get to try them. We here at the Spiedie Forum eagerly await your restaurant critique! Bon Apetite! I am envious
quote:
Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

ScottMahaffy, All Y'all,
Thank you so much, Scott, for posting about Spiedie Grill in Norcross. When I am mobile again, I will spied over there and report back and tell y'all what I think. By the way, what was your verdict on the place, or have you managed to get there yet?
We can find the Rob Salmadia (sp.?) sauce here with little difficulty. The influx of outlanders to Georgia is expanding everyone's culinary horizons. This is a prime example.
Thanks again.
Absent From Sanitaria Springs (That's 6 Miles NE of Binghamton), But Sleeping At The Endofmycott, Ort. Carlton in Amazing Athens, Georgia.
jomstac
Junior Burger
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2004/05/16 19:10:13 (permalink)
I've lived in the Endicott area my whole life and I know that Salamida's gets all the publicity for their Spiedie Sauce, but if you're ever in the area, the ABSOLUTE BEST spiedies are at Lupo's Char-Pit on Main Street in Endwell. Go for the pork spiedies. The spiedies are always very moist and really flavorful. I've tried spiedies from many local restaurants, but too many times they're too dry and not real tasty. You can also buy the marinated meat at Lupo's and cook the spiedies yourself.
scottmahaffy
Junior Burger
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2004/05/16 22:13:08 (permalink)
I agree wholeheartedly! Lupos is the best "grab and Go" hot and ready spiedie place, but for home use Salamida's is the only one
quote:
Originally posted by jomstac

I've lived in the Endicott area my whole life and I know that Salamida's gets all the publicity for their Spiedie Sauce, but if you're ever in the area, the ABSOLUTE BEST spiedies are at Lupo's Char-Pit on Main Street in Endwell. Go for the pork spiedies. The spiedies are always very moist and really flavorful. I've tried spiedies from many local restaurants, but too many times they're too dry and not real tasty. You can also buy the marinated meat at Lupo's and cook the spiedies yourself.
tiborfrekko
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2004/05/19 11:10:24 (permalink)
I am making spiedies of chicken and beef with Salamida. What can you put on top once they are cooked and in the bun? I think more Marinade might be a little too much. Does anyone have any suggestions? - and recipes?
JDSpiedies
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 48
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2004/07/01 20:36:06 (permalink)
Sometimes when I make the speides, I usually put the meat/chicken on a skewer and grill them, then I put it in a small hero type roll. If you are looking for the "Perfect" Speidie Sandwich roll, you might want to travel to Westchest County, New York to a store called Turco's. There is one store in White Plains, and another in Yorktown Heights,and they have a great selection of everything. Yes, some of the prices are expensive, but it is worth every cent.
Cosmos
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1449
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2004/07/02 12:37:48 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by tiborfrekko

I am making spiedies of chicken and beef with Salamida. What can you put on top once they are cooked and in the bun? I think more Marinade might be a little too much. Does anyone have any suggestions? - and recipes?

I serve them in oversized pitas with tsatsiki sauce;

8 oz plain yogurt
one small crushed clove of garlic
diced cucumber (2 tablespoons ?)
dried or fresh dill to taste
a little mint won't hurt if you've got it

Mix it all up and slop it on your sandwich. (PS try pork, I think you'll like it better than beef.)
booboobirdie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 143
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2004/07/02 13:36:26 (permalink)
Well, after reading all of the pretty enthusiastic comments, I'm convinced. Just ordered a case of the stuff.
santacruz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 372
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2004/07/02 15:01:21 (permalink)
My Brother lives in Vestal N.Y. and he turned me on to spiedies. I can never thank him enough...although he is now a die hard vegetarian, which brings up my question. I see at the annual spiedie event in the Binghamton area there is actualy a tofu or vegetation spiedie. Has anyone tried these? Most likely they are horrible
I was wondering because maybe he would like em.

Also I have found a great marinade sauce out here in the Bay area it is Basque meat marinade from Madera Ca. It is excellent once mixed with good extra virgin olive oil and lemon. I use it the same as State Fair brand from NY....excellent for chicken grilling. I like to then take the grilled meat and put it on Good Italian or Portuguese rolls, and cover with sauteed green peppers, onions and black olives.

This is what it is all about
Cosmos
  • Total Posts : 1449
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2004/07/02 17:14:24 (permalink)
Hey, I've marinated vegetables in speidie sauce as well, in fact we're grilling portabellas with speidies sauce tonight
Danmel
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 193
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2004/07/25 19:36:38 (permalink)
We were in Binghamton last year and bought a sampler of different spiedie sauces. PReviously I had just used Salamidas. We tried a restuarant based sauce from a place called the "Spiedie Pit", Luo's and Salamidas. I liked the Salamidas best and continue to order them by mail. The last shipment, a bottle of "Lemon Garlicious" Sauce opened and the Salamida people graciously replaced the product and threw in a bonus bottle of Italian seasoning.
gmimi67
Junior Burger
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2005/03/30 18:20:21 (permalink)
I grew up in Upstate NY and my family has been making Speidies my whole life. Our family normally makes our own marinade, but Stae Fair Sauce is the best bottled sauce you can get! We always use fresh Italian bread to serve our speidies on, it is the traditional way, if you have ever been to Sharkey's that is how it was served, the skewer of speidies, with a slice of bread on the end of the skewer. YUM!!!!!!
Sirhymenrex
Junior Burger
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2005/05/30 18:23:14 (permalink)
I am from Binghamton so I thought I would chime in on the Spiedie conversation. First all this talk of spiedies on Pita is sacreligios. Spiedies are traditionally and best served ona slice of Felix Roma Italian bread, as it is the only bread tough enough not to tear when removing spiedies from the skewer.
As far as the best commercially available Spiedie Sauce, for me it is a toss up between Lupo's and Salamida's. I grew up pn Lupo's restaurants, and I lean slightly in favor of their sauce.
On the topic of marinating your spiedies.. you must marinate for at least 3 days. Perhaps longer for chicken.
Best Meat for spiedies..... Lamb or Pork as they absorb the marinade better than any other meat. Chicken is the most popular, but not the tastiest of Spiedies.
Spiedies are typically served without toppings, but they can also be enjoyed "endwell style" with onions mushrooms and cheese. YUM YUM YUM.
That is my 2 cents for now ....
Allen
Please order some Spiedie Sauce online from Lupo's or Salamida's and spread the word
scottmahaffy
Junior Burger
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2005/05/30 19:18:30 (permalink)
Thanks for your input Allen & welcome to the spiedie forum! Do you know where you can order Lupo's spiedie sauce? Online website? I stop at Lupos when Im in the area, and do reccomend them to all!
SPIEDIE LOVERS UNITE! Taking over the world One grill at a time!quote:
Originally posted by Sirhymenrex

I am from Binghamton so I thought I would chime in on the Spiedie conversation. First all this talk of spiedies on Pita is sacreligios. Spiedies are traditionally and best served ona slice of Felix Roma Italian bread, as it is the only bread tough enough not to tear when removing spiedies from the skewer.
As far as the best commercially available Spiedie Sauce, for me it is a toss up between Lupo's and Salamida's. I grew up pn Lupo's restaurants, and I lean slightly in favor of their sauce.
On the topic of marinating your spiedies.. you must marinate for at least 3 days. Perhaps longer for chicken.
Best Meat for spiedies..... Lamb or Pork as they absorb the marinade better than any other meat. Chicken is the most popular, but not the tastiest of Spiedies.
Spiedies are typically served without toppings, but they can also be enjoyed "endwell style" with onions mushrooms and cheese. YUM YUM YUM.
That is my 2 cents for now ....
Allen
Please order some Spiedie Sauce online from Lupo's or Salamida's and spread the word
scottmahaffy
Junior Burger
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2005/05/30 19:28:04 (permalink)
Here is a little bit of Spiedie history for you all http://www.geography.ccsu.edu/harmonj/atlas/spiedie.htm
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 222
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2005/05/30 20:15:55 (permalink)
Salamida's from the bottle is a little bland. I usually add 3 tablespoons of cumin per bottle.
Just the thing on deer and moose meat.
carlton pierre
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2005/05/30 20:45:14 (permalink)
I've made my own Spiedes since I can get Salamidas at Ingles here in Knoxville. However, never having had the real thing I don't know how much better the real thing would be.
NYNM
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3053
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2005/08/28 22:37:47 (permalink)
Nice to see all this info on spiedies! I remember the first time I heard about them. It was the 70's and I went to visit friends who had moved to Binghamton. When they asked me if I wanted some spiedies, I got little nervous because I thought they were offering me drugs!

Its also neat to hear about a really regional very localized food that hasn't been too "discovered!"
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5546
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2005/08/29 10:34:15 (permalink)
IT's time for the Great New York State Fair! I'm from upstate, NY area and while spiedies is certainly a summer picnic/bbq favorite, I ALWAYS got spiedies at the location they were originally meant for...The Fair!

Today is day 5 of the Fair, if I could go, I would. It's a roadfooders wet dream, from Gianelli Sausage and Hoffman Hots, to Spiedies and Gyros, to NYS wine and the freshest milk, ice cream and butter you can find (milked just a day earlier than the day you consume it)

Show up hungry, leave full and be sure to have a spiedie where spiedies were meant to be eaten!

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 2 of 5
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1