"Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs

Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 60 of 147
scottmahaffy
  • Total Posts : 28
  • Reward points : 0
"Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs - Wed, 04/9/03 12:47 AM
If you have never heard of a spiedie -- well you are in for a TREAT!! A spiedie is meat(usually cubed like stew beef or pork) marinated in a very special sauce called "The Original State Fair Spiedie Sauce" from The Rob Salamida Co. Johnson City, NY (Near Binghamton). This company is THE ONLY place that you can get this product. Luckily if not in the area they now are available online at: http://www.spiedie.com/index.htm . Order enough for the whole neighborhood - because as soon as you you start cooking - neighbors will be asking what smells so good!

OK - heres how to make a spiedie-

You will need:

A bottle or two of Original State Fair Spiedie Sauce.

Boneless pork loin - cubed in 2 inch square cubes.(substitute stew beef if you like, but pork is best)

Bamboo or metal skewers.

Your favorite Sub / Hogie Bun

A BBQ Grill.

First cube the meat and place in a glass bowl large enough to accomadate the meat and marinade. Shake and pour Salamida's"Original State Fair Spiedie Sauce" over the cubed meat. Cover and refrigerate, stiring occasionally. (Marinate overnight for best flavor) Place cubes onto skewers and fire up the BBQ! When the meat is fully cooked - slice the rolls from end to end(like a hot dog roll). For best results serve hot off the grill by placing the skewer of meat into the roll and hold the roll - while pulling the skewer from the meat, all in one fluid motion. I also recommend drizzling some fresh marinade over the top of the cooked meat for best flavor. (DO NOT use the marinade that you soaked the raw meat in, use a fresh bottle) Thats it - ENJOY!!

Michael Stern
  • Total Posts : 1021
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs - Wed, 04/9/03 3:58 AM

Cosmos
  • Total Posts : 1448
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs - Wed, 04/9/03 8:12 AM
We serve ours on pita...the big ones (brush with oil on one side and toss on the grill until it gets warm and soft), with tsatziki sauce (I use plain yogurt, crushed garlic, chopped cucumber, and dill). Another summertime favorite.

The State Fair Spiedie Sauce is Great!!! I use it on chicken and game hens too.

RC51Mike
  • Total Posts : 443
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs - Wed, 04/9/03 2:35 PM
Didn't have to ask me twice. I went right over to the website and ordered four bottles (a case was probably a bit much for my pantry.) I hadn't had one in years. I guess I haven't been stopping in that neck of the woods during lunch time lately. Thanks.

Sundancer7
  • Total Posts : 13400
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs - Wed, 04/9/03 2:40 PM
Is spiedie sauce like a BBQ sauce? Sounds good but I need a little more verbage

Thanks
Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Cosmos
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs - Wed, 04/9/03 2:53 PM
It is a marinade, largely oil and vinegar, and clotted with herb seasoning. The seasonings take up the bottom third of the bottle. I use it as a marinade and in basting during grilling.

scottmahaffy
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs - Wed, 04/9/03 9:18 PM
Just a quick note:

If you enjoy the recipe for Spiedies - please tell all your friends and family, and dont forget to give them the website; so they too may order their own sauces. I have been an avid spiedie consumer for over 15 years, and have e-mailed The Rob Salamida Company on several occasions. On every occasion they have most graciously contacted me; and are always the most upstanding and friendly company I have been priviledged to come in contact with. So ENJOY your spiedies and take comfort in knowing that you are supporting a small comapny that appreciates their customers with all the zest and vigor that makes you more than happy to continue to buy and support their products. So SPREAD THE WORD - EAT Spiedies - You will be so glad you did!!

Bringing Spiedies to the world - One Grill at a time! Scott

redhillman
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs - Thu, 05/29/03 2:30 AM
How about the sub ?

scottmahaffy
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs - Fri, 05/30/03 10:38 PM
Spiedie's may be served in any bread or roll. I prefer to have them in a soft Sub/Hogie roll. Some people eat them right off the skewer. Wichever way you prefer, there is no right or wrong. Enjoy! Scott

RockyB
  • Total Posts : 120
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs - Mon, 06/23/03 2:30 PM

Originally posted by scottmahaffy

Just a quick note:

If you enjoy the recipe for Spiedies - please tell all your friends and family, and dont forget to give them the website; so they too may order their own sauces. I have been an avid spiedie consumer for over 15 years, and have e-mailed The Rob Salamida Company on several occasions. On every occasion they have most graciously contacted me; and are always the most upstanding and friendly company I have been priviledged to come in contact with. So ENJOY your spiedies and take comfort in knowing that you are supporting a small comapny that appreciates their customers with all the zest and vigor that makes you more than happy to continue to buy and support their products. So SPREAD THE WORD - EAT Spiedies - You will be so glad you did!!

Bringing Spiedies to the world - One Grill at a time! Scott
Scott:
Either you are in the employ of Rob Salamida, or you are deeply biased against Lupo's Spiedies and their sauce. Spiedies are wonderful things. Whether you use Salamida's, or Lupo's or make your own!

Cosmos
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs - Mon, 06/23/03 5:57 PM
I've seen Lupo's at Tops, but haven't tried it yet...its hard to pass up Salamidas, but I'll give it a try.

scottmahaffy
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs - Sat, 07/5/03 1:57 PM
Lupo's Is a spiedie stand near Binghampton NY (the home of Salamida's State Fair Spiedie Sauces) - They used to use Salamida's State Fair Spiedie Sauces in thier stand - but maybe now have created their own copy cat sauce and are marketing it at the local area TOPS supermarkets.(a practice I find distasteful! and just plain wrong) As for me I grab a spiedie at Lupo's when ever I am back in the area, but as far as the sauce goes - I am sticking with the ORIGINAL! Salamida's State Fair Spiedie Sauce!

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmos

I've seen Lupo's at Tops, but haven't tried it yet...its hard to pass up Salamidas, but I'll give it a try.

wanderingjew
  • Total Posts : 7407
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs - Tue, 07/8/03 2:35 PM
Just returned from a family visit in Albany NY for the Fourth of July weekend. Before returning to Rhode Island, I decided to back track and checked out a B-Mets AA baseball game in Binghamton NY. I stopped at Sharkey's before the game. I had the stuffed cabbage which was not bad and the Pierogies which I thought were so-so. However the stand out was the Spiedie Sandwich....YUM!! Absolutely Delicious

jpatweb
  • Total Posts : 232
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs - Tue, 07/8/03 4:07 PM
By chance, did you come across the coil sausage at the stadium?
quote:
Originally posted by wanderingjew

Just returned from a family visit in Albany NY for the Fourth of July weekend. Before returning to Rhode Island, I decided to back track and checked out a B-Mets AA baseball game in Binghamton NY. I stopped at Sharkey's before the game. I had the stuffed cabbage which was not bad and the Pierogies which I thought were so-so. However the stand out was the Spiedie Sandwich....YUM!! Absolutely Delicious

wanderingjew
  • Total Posts : 7407
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs - Tue, 07/8/03 4:12 PM
quote:
Originally posted by jpatweb

By chance, did you come across the coil sausage at the stadium?

Yes, but I couldn't eat another bite after dinner. I did knock back a couple of Yuenglings

redtressed
  • Total Posts : 1017
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs - Sun, 08/24/03 11:36 PM
We're very fortunate here in the hills of West-By-Gawd Virginny to have Salamida's State Fair Spiedie marinade, as well as some of their other sauces, in a couple of our local grocery chains. I buy 6 bottles of each , every time...and they rarely last the month out....

scottmahaffy
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs - Mon, 08/25/03 3:10 PM
quote:
Originally posted by redtressed

We're very fortunate here in the hills of West-By-Gawd Virginny to have Salamida's State Fair Spiedie marinade, as well as some of their other sauces, in a couple of our local grocery chains. I buy 6 bottles of each , every time...and they rarely last the month out....

GREAT! Thanks for sharing this -- Spiedie sauce gets harder to fing the farther south you go.

Hey everyone as a service to others please list WHERE you are able to buy the sauces EXAMPLE: Ingles Markets, 100 Anystreet, Mytown, TN USA

chezkatie
  • Total Posts : 1329
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs - Mon, 08/25/03 3:26 PM
We always have the speidi sauce on hand........have our family members bring it down from central New York. One of our favorite ways of using this is to marinade chicken parts in it (in fridge) for 24 hours and then cook on the grill..........it smells just wonderful and tastes just as good as it smells!!!!

redtressed
  • Total Posts : 1017
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs - Tue, 08/26/03 12:23 PM
In Morgantown, West Virginia, the sauces are availiable at Bi-Lo Grocery located on Collins Ferry Road

scottmahaffy
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs - Wed, 09/3/03 10:21 PM
REPLY to post quoted below:
I am NOT nor have I ever been affiliated with Rob Salamida Co. except for being a great fan of his product and his company - not to mention his personal grateful attitude toward his customers. Also I LOVE to stop and eat at LUPOS when ever I am back in New York States southern region. NO BIAS HERE, except for my passion for SPIEDIES!

(Original quote)
Scott:
Either you are in the employ of Rob Salamida, or you are deeply biased against Lupo's Spiedies and their sauce. Spiedies are wonderful things. Whether you use Salamida's, or Lupo's or make your own!

scottmahaffy
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs - Wed, 09/3/03 10:46 PM
SPIEDIE's HIT ATLANTA Georgia Area -

http://www.insidegwinnett.com/archive/1_03_Food_spiedie%20Grill.htm

http://www.spiediegrill.com

Spiedie Grill open in Atlanta!! I also know Salamida Original State fair Spiedie sauce is available at most INGLES MARKETS around the south.

PLEASE NOTE: I have not visited this restaurant yet -- but as soon as I do I will give you a full report!
PLEASE POST ANY ESTABLISHMENTS THAT YOU KNOW THAT SERVE SPIEDIES and don't forget to list places where you can get the sauces too!

lleechef
  • Total Posts : 6254
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs - Thu, 09/4/03 2:32 PM
Spiedies........yummmm!!! My best friend in Boston was from the Binghamton area and every time she went to visit her folks she'd come back with bottles and bottles of the stuff. Haven't had one since moving to Alaska..now I have a craving for a spiedie!

Rimbaud37
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs - Thu, 09/4/03 8:04 PM
You can make your own spiedie marinade. I like to cube chicken breasts and let them sit two day in the marinade before grilling.

2-3 pounds chicken breast cubed.
6 oz extra virgina olive oil
6 oz marsala wine or sherry
4 oz balsamic vinegar
0.5 teaspoons of Salt
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon oregeno
1 teaspoon basil
1 clove of garlic ( I use elephant garlic)

I use a food processor to mix everyhing but the chicken together. To release the flavor of the spices, roll them between you palms to crush them. As I say, mix all ingreadients but the chicken together in the food processor. Place the chicken in a non-reactive container ( those cheap plastic tupperwarelike ones from WallyWorld work grand for this} and pour the marinade over the chicken. Refrigerate at least twenty-four hours before cooking. Drain marinade and cook by either grilling or even sauteeing.

About the wine: I like marsala wine to cook with. It works for marinade and pasta sauces. You can use whatever you find to liking. I do caution against using cooking wines as they have salt added and change the tatse more than I like.

seafarer john
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs - Thu, 10/23/03 10:52 PM
Driving east on NY Rt 17 today we decided to get off in Binghamton and try to find a spiedie for lunch. We were directed by a nice lady
to the OLD WORLD DELI on Water st . No spedies there - but the guy at the cash register directed us to LUPO'S on State St. Good fast friendly service and a pork spedie on a foot long hero roll that was delicious.

Question: Is Rob Salamida co. a restaurant, and how about directions from 17 to get a spiedie with that sauce in Binghamton?

Paulie
  • Total Posts : 119
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs - Fri, 10/24/03 10:49 AM
I was in Binghamton last week and tried both the spiedie and the city chicken at Sharkey's. I thought the city chicken was excellent, the spiedie so-so (less flavor than I expected). This was my one and only spiedie experience, however, so I'm a long way from being an expert on the topic, and I'd gladly try again.
My question involves the recipe for spiedie marinade submitted by a reader. This recipe looks a lot like plain old Italian salad dressing. Can one be used in place of the other? Just wondering...

scottmahaffy
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs - Sun, 10/26/03 1:31 AM
I have not heard of the place you dined. I recommend Lupo's Char Pit in Endicott (just west of Binghamton) - Although it has been a few years since I last visited, They have a great spiedie - If anyone local to the area knows of others please post them. as far as spiedie sauce resembling that of Italian dressing -- in looks only - in taste - it is as unique as you can get. I again recommend going straight to the master Salamida's ORIGINAL State Fair spiedie sauce - click this link and enjoy!!:

http://www.spiedie.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SMS&Product_Code=COSS
quote:
Originally posted by Paulie

I was in Binghamton last week and tried both the spiedie and the city chicken at Sharkey's. I thought the city chicken was excellent, the spiedie so-so (less flavor than I expected). This was my one and only spiedie experience, however, so I'm a long way from being an expert on the topic, and I'd gladly try again.
My question involves the recipe for spiedie marinade submitted by a reader. This recipe looks a lot like plain old Italian salad dressing. Can one be used in place of the other? Just wondering...

scottmahaffy
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs - Sun, 10/26/03 1:38 AM
John- Im glad you liked Lupo's! As far as Salamida's they as far as I know do not have a spiedie stand, although many spiedie stands use the Salamida Original state fair spiedie sauces. Lupo's used to use it (Salamidas) as well - but I have learned they started making thier own sauces now. I will contact Rob Salimida for more information and post it here as soon as I hear back.
quote:
Originally posted by seafarer john

Driving east on NY Rt 17 today we decided to get off in Binghamton and try to find a spiedie for lunch. We were directed by a nice lady
to the OLD WORLD DELI on Water st . No spedies there - but the guy at the cash register directed us to LUPO'S on State St. Good fast friendly service and a pork spedie on a foot long hero roll that was delicious.

Question: Is Rob Salamida co. a restaurant, and how about directions from 17 to get a spiedie with that sauce in Binghamton?

scottmahaffy
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs - Sun, 10/26/03 10:35 AM
In response to Seafarer John and Paulie -- I immediately wrote Rob Salamida on Sunday morning around 1 a.m. in the morning, the next morning around 10:00am I checked my e-mail and Rob had already responded. Now if that isn't showing great concern and respect for the customer - I don't know what is!! Try getting that from any 9-5 M-F National Company. I am posting my email, and Rob's Response below as I feel it may be of service to some of you as well --NOTE: Rob mentions WEGMANS Supermarket ( http://www.wegmans.com/ ) as serving spiedies in His sauce - I have been there and have purchased the GALLON size Jug of the spiedie sauce in the condiment isle - so if you are there - pick a jug up and save some money as an alternative to buying the smaller 16oz. bottles The wegmans he is talking about is: http://www.wegmans.com/about/storeLocator/display.asp?store_nbr=73 - Thanks Scott

********************EMAIL COPY BELOW THIS LINE***********************
Sunday, October 26, 2003 12:54 AM

Dear Rob Salamida,

A while back I started a public message board at roadfood.com about spiedies : http://www.roadfood.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=215

I have a question I was wondering if you could help me answer - Does your company have any "Official" spiedie stand recommendations around the Binghamton area that use your product? Is there any stands you prefer and would recommend to the readers of the forum?

Do you ship the GALLON sized jugs of State Fair Spiedie sauce? ( I use it in bulk - 3-4 small bottles at a time.)

Thank you again for such a GREAT product! I am honored to spread the word of spiedies to the world via my forum at roadfood.com - gaining converts - "One grill at a time!"

Thank You Again-

Scott Mahaffy

- - - - - - - -Rob Salamidas Responce (QUOTED UNEDITED) - - - - - - -

Sun, 26 Oct 2003 08:25:58 -0500

Hi Scott,

Thanks for you email.

We do ship gallons of our sauces. Best thing to do is to call the 800 # and get the pricing since we have to carefully pack the gallons. Even though they are plastic, UPS likes to see if they can test our ability to pack them.

The only restaurant that we make our spiedie sauce for in Binghamton has been Wegmans. They have an upscale food court in their grocery store which is right across from the mall.

Other local eateries may use our sauce but are buying it from wholesale distributors.

We did get a write up in June in MONEY Magazine. They featured our Spiedie Sauce along with other unique food items across the country. Then in the same month one of the guys who uses our Chicken BBQ Sauce touted the sauce as being his secret recipe in Gourmet Magazine. No photo like we got in Money Mag. but it was still a kick.

BTW, we also make our sauces in half gallons and in 32 oz. jugs. And we have been making a wild game marinade for many years that is similar to our Spiedie Sauce. Our website is being revamped an should be looking much better in a few weeks.

Thanks for your support....and I love that line: One Grill At A Time.

Rob Salamida
info@spidie.com

----------------------End Original Message---------------------------

Sorry for the huge length of this post - Hope it helped - Scott

seafarer john
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs - Sun, 10/26/03 1:16 PM
Thanks Scott: cleared up a mystery for me as to where to get the "real original genuine Salamida Spiedie" - there apparently aint no such thing - so it's every man for himself and I'll have no compunctions about experimenting with some sauces to put on my homemade spiedies as i find the ones I've had otherwise to be a bit on the dry side.

scottmahaffy
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs - Sun, 10/26/03 11:32 PM
Salamida's doesnt make spiedies just the marinade - buy it at http://www.spiedie.com . As for the "Real Original Genuine Salamida Spidie" -- Rob Salamida invented it so its as original as you are going to get. ( and as far as I am concerned the ONLY one) You can get one made with the sauce at Wegmans food markets in the Binghamton area as stated in Robs posted letter. As for the dryness problem, make sure to marinate the meat in the sauce for at least 24 Hours and avoid overcooking. Also save a quarter bottle of the marinade from the bottle to pour over the meat as it is served. GoodLuck - Scot
quote:
Originally posted by seafarer john

Thanks Scott: cleared up a mystery for me as to where to get the "real original genuine Salamida Spiedie" - there apparently aint no such thing - so it's every man for himself and I'll have no compunctions about experimenting with some sauces to put on my homemade spiedies as i find the ones I've had otherwise to be a bit on the dry side.

seafarer john
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs - Mon, 10/27/03 7:01 AM
Scott: I've tried to use the marinade ( fresh from the bottle, not the used marinade) as a sauce, but it just seems to be more of the same and I'm looking for some kind of contrast.
Someone put a recipe for "Tsatziki sauce" for use on spiedies a while back. I'd copied it
but never got around to using it. Seems like the sauce used on Gyros which I like a whole lot. The Salimida marinade is available in our local supermarkets and has been for the last couple of years. And, the Lupo's we visited is on State St. about six or seven blocks north of Court St. next door to a place called "Anthony's" - they share a parking lot. Next time I'm in Binghamton I'll try the Wegman's food court - must be OK if Salimida himself recommends it.

bumper
  • Total Posts : 96
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs - Thu, 11/6/03 6:10 PM
Ingles in on Oak Ridge Hwy. IN Knoxville TN has this sauce and I'm cooking some pork tonite that has been in the marinade for 2 days !

scottmahaffy
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs - Fri, 11/7/03 11:16 AM
Great Bumper! Im in the Knoxville Area too, Hope you enjoy your Spiedie experience! I have some in marinade right now too - I am drueling as we speak. Spread the word and keep us posted - Enjoy! Scot
quote:
Originally posted by bumper

Ingles in on Oak Ridge Hwy. IN Knoxville TN has this sauce and I'm cooking some pork tonite that has been in the marinade for 2 days !

fafaru
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs - Mon, 11/24/03 8:15 PM
I ate at Sharkey's recently and was most impressed at the friendliness of the people there. Less enthralled with the spiedie, and disappointed in myself for letting my focus on trying a spiedie causing me to not order some other great things available, like the smelts.

scottmahaffy
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs - Mon, 11/24/03 9:57 PM
Sorry you had a bad experience with the spiedie at sharkies - so far a thumbs up, a so-so, and a thumbs down on sharkies spiedie. I hope this doesn't jade your spiedie experience -- I recommend cooking spiedies yourself at least once - that way you can control the entire process, and not have to wonder if the cook at a restaurant may be having a a good or bad day.PLEASE EVERYONE keep us posted on your spiedie experiences - but keep in mind that with every new thing you try you will have good and bad expieriences - just keep trying!(This in my opinion is one of the worst things to happen to the restaurant industry -- one time you go its great - next time you go its awful -- hope they work on QUALITY CONTROL!)
quote:
Originally posted by fafaru

I ate at Sharkey's recently and was most impressed at the friendliness of the people there. Less enthralled with the spiedie, and disappointed in myself for letting my focus on trying a spiedie causing me to not order some other great things available, like the smelts.

spiedielvr
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs - Sun, 01/4/04 3:45 AM
The best spiedie snadwich is is done with the meat placed on the skewers so that it is not only touching, but relativly tight. This gives a nice charred outside, and contrasting texture on the inside. Most commercial spiedie joints don't use skewers, and in the case of Sharky's, they do use skewers, but space the meat apart so it doesn't really touch on the skewer. I suspect that this is so it is easier to cook through. It probably keeps the cost from getting out of control too. They do serve your spiedie to you with sliced Italian bread. This is the right thing to do! Pull the meat off the skewer with the bread. If this operation were done for you in the kitchen, you may change your mind about eating. This is what I suspect is the reason for the Hoagie roll. You can take the meat off the skewer and put it in the hoagie roll without mangling the roll. There is more to a good spiedie than properly marinated meat cubes.

circle48
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs - Sun, 01/18/04 6:59 PM
spiedies, Grew up on them, spent many hours eating at sharky's
clams,spiedies,and city chicken We order from rob all the time.
We cook them at the RIR races, Everyone wants to know what we are cooking.
Our problem is the italian bread, Can't get the real thing here in the south. close but not quite
Maybe I'll e-mail rob

jm199
  • Total Posts : 215
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs - Sat, 02/7/04 3:48 PM
Thought that this might come in handy. Here is a site from the PBS show, Sandwiches You Will Like, that has a recipe for Spiedies, and other information on Sharkey's and Lupo's. Enjoy!

www.wqed.org/tv/natl/sandwiches/cookbook.shtml

JDSpiedies
  • Total Posts : 48
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs - Sat, 03/13/04 4:45 PM
Being that I from the NY Metro Area, I travel to Middletown< NEw York to Price Chooper and sometimes Hanneford to buy the State Fair Spiedie Sauce. I have been taking some cooking classes at my local community college and I made some Spiedies. THEY WERE A HIT!!!!!

scottmahaffy
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs - Sun, 03/14/04 1:53 PM
quote:
Originally posted by JDSpiedies

Being that I from the NY Metro Area, I travel to Middletown< NEw York to Price Chooper and sometimes Hanneford to buy the State Fair Spiedie Sauce. I have been taking some cooking classes at my local community college and I made some Spiedies. THEY WERE A HIT!!!!!
GREAT NEWS - thank you for participating -- Once again it is time to dust the snow off the BBQ and get fired up for nice weather and SPIEDIES on the Grill! Lets convert America to SPIEDIE LOVERS - "One Grill at a time!" - keep us posted! Bring your friends - after all SPIEDIES are too good to keep to ourselves! Scott

DisneyHokie
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs - Mon, 04/5/04 9:49 PM
Ohhh my god..Sharkey's city chicken..I'm so glad a lot of family is from there so I luckily grew up with that awesome stuff :)

Ort. Carlton.
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs - Mon, 04/5/04 10:41 PM
ScottMahaffy, All Y'all,
Thank you so much, Scott, for posting about Spiedie Grill in Norcross. When I am mobile again, I will spied over there and report back and tell y'all what I think. By the way, what was your verdict on the place, or have you managed to get there yet?
We can find the Rob Salmadia (sp.?) sauce here with little difficulty. The influx of outlanders to Georgia is expanding everyone's culinary horizons. This is a prime example.
Thanks again.
Absent From Sanitaria Springs (That's 6 Miles NE of Binghamton), But Sleeping At The Endofmycott, Ort. Carlton in Amazing Athens, Georgia.

scottmahaffy
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs - Mon, 04/5/04 10:59 PM
Great to hear we are making life a little better here in the Spiedie Forum. I have not tried the spiedie grill as I live near Knoxville, TN but I formerly have lived all over the Atlanta area unfortunately BEFORE such a culinary delight was available - BUMMER! But I hope they do the spiedie legend justice so it may thrive and multiply all over the area and points beyond. As far as I know they offer only chicken spiedies. Please let us know how they rate after you get to try them. We here at the Spiedie Forum eagerly await your restaurant critique! Bon Apetite! I am envious
quote:
Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

ScottMahaffy, All Y'all,
Thank you so much, Scott, for posting about Spiedie Grill in Norcross. When I am mobile again, I will spied over there and report back and tell y'all what I think. By the way, what was your verdict on the place, or have you managed to get there yet?
We can find the Rob Salmadia (sp.?) sauce here with little difficulty. The influx of outlanders to Georgia is expanding everyone's culinary horizons. This is a prime example.
Thanks again.
Absent From Sanitaria Springs (That's 6 Miles NE of Binghamton), But Sleeping At The Endofmycott, Ort. Carlton in Amazing Athens, Georgia.

jomstac
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs - Sun, 05/16/04 7:10 PM
I've lived in the Endicott area my whole life and I know that Salamida's gets all the publicity for their Spiedie Sauce, but if you're ever in the area, the ABSOLUTE BEST spiedies are at Lupo's Char-Pit on Main Street in Endwell. Go for the pork spiedies. The spiedies are always very moist and really flavorful. I've tried spiedies from many local restaurants, but too many times they're too dry and not real tasty. You can also buy the marinated meat at Lupo's and cook the spiedies yourself.

scottmahaffy
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs - Sun, 05/16/04 10:13 PM
I agree wholeheartedly! Lupos is the best "grab and Go" hot and ready spiedie place, but for home use Salamida's is the only one
quote:
Originally posted by jomstac

I've lived in the Endicott area my whole life and I know that Salamida's gets all the publicity for their Spiedie Sauce, but if you're ever in the area, the ABSOLUTE BEST spiedies are at Lupo's Char-Pit on Main Street in Endwell. Go for the pork spiedies. The spiedies are always very moist and really flavorful. I've tried spiedies from many local restaurants, but too many times they're too dry and not real tasty. You can also buy the marinated meat at Lupo's and cook the spiedies yourself.

tiborfrekko
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs - Wed, 05/19/04 11:10 AM
I am making spiedies of chicken and beef with Salamida. What can you put on top once they are cooked and in the bun? I think more Marinade might be a little too much. Does anyone have any suggestions? - and recipes?

JDSpiedies
  • Total Posts : 48
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs - Thu, 07/1/04 8:36 PM
Sometimes when I make the speides, I usually put the meat/chicken on a skewer and grill them, then I put it in a small hero type roll. If you are looking for the "Perfect" Speidie Sandwich roll, you might want to travel to Westchest County, New York to a store called Turco's. There is one store in White Plains, and another in Yorktown Heights,and they have a great selection of everything. Yes, some of the prices are expensive, but it is worth every cent.

Cosmos
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs - Fri, 07/2/04 12:37 PM
quote:
Originally posted by tiborfrekko

I am making spiedies of chicken and beef with Salamida. What can you put on top once they are cooked and in the bun? I think more Marinade might be a little too much. Does anyone have any suggestions? - and recipes?

I serve them in oversized pitas with tsatsiki sauce;

8 oz plain yogurt
one small crushed clove of garlic
diced cucumber (2 tablespoons ?)
dried or fresh dill to taste
a little mint won't hurt if you've got it

Mix it all up and slop it on your sandwich. (PS try pork, I think you'll like it better than beef.)

booboobirdie
  • Total Posts : 143
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs - Fri, 07/2/04 1:36 PM
Well, after reading all of the pretty enthusiastic comments, I'm convinced. Just ordered a case of the stuff.

santacruz
  • Total Posts : 372
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs - Fri, 07/2/04 3:01 PM
My Brother lives in Vestal N.Y. and he turned me on to spiedies. I can never thank him enough...although he is now a die hard vegetarian, which brings up my question. I see at the annual spiedie event in the Binghamton area there is actualy a tofu or vegetation spiedie. Has anyone tried these? Most likely they are horrible
I was wondering because maybe he would like em.

Also I have found a great marinade sauce out here in the Bay area it is Basque meat marinade from Madera Ca. It is excellent once mixed with good extra virgin olive oil and lemon. I use it the same as State Fair brand from NY....excellent for chicken grilling. I like to then take the grilled meat and put it on Good Italian or Portuguese rolls, and cover with sauteed green peppers, onions and black olives.

This is what it is all about

Cosmos
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs - Fri, 07/2/04 5:14 PM
Hey, I've marinated vegetables in speidie sauce as well, in fact we're grilling portabellas with speidies sauce tonight

Danmel
  • Total Posts : 193
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs - Sun, 07/25/04 7:36 PM
We were in Binghamton last year and bought a sampler of different spiedie sauces. PReviously I had just used Salamidas. We tried a restuarant based sauce from a place called the "Spiedie Pit", Luo's and Salamidas. I liked the Salamidas best and continue to order them by mail. The last shipment, a bottle of "Lemon Garlicious" Sauce opened and the Salamida people graciously replaced the product and threw in a bonus bottle of Italian seasoning.

gmimi67
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs - Wed, 03/30/05 6:20 PM
I grew up in Upstate NY and my family has been making Speidies my whole life. Our family normally makes our own marinade, but Stae Fair Sauce is the best bottled sauce you can get! We always use fresh Italian bread to serve our speidies on, it is the traditional way, if you have ever been to Sharkey's that is how it was served, the skewer of speidies, with a slice of bread on the end of the skewer. YUM!!!!!!

Sirhymenrex
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs - Mon, 05/30/05 6:23 PM
I am from Binghamton so I thought I would chime in on the Spiedie conversation. First all this talk of spiedies on Pita is sacreligios. Spiedies are traditionally and best served ona slice of Felix Roma Italian bread, as it is the only bread tough enough not to tear when removing spiedies from the skewer.
As far as the best commercially available Spiedie Sauce, for me it is a toss up between Lupo's and Salamida's. I grew up pn Lupo's restaurants, and I lean slightly in favor of their sauce.
On the topic of marinating your spiedies.. you must marinate for at least 3 days. Perhaps longer for chicken.
Best Meat for spiedies..... Lamb or Pork as they absorb the marinade better than any other meat. Chicken is the most popular, but not the tastiest of Spiedies.
Spiedies are typically served without toppings, but they can also be enjoyed "endwell style" with onions mushrooms and cheese. YUM YUM YUM.
That is my 2 cents for now ....
Allen
Please order some Spiedie Sauce online from Lupo's or Salamida's and spread the word

scottmahaffy
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs - Mon, 05/30/05 7:18 PM
Thanks for your input Allen & welcome to the spiedie forum! Do you know where you can order Lupo's spiedie sauce? Online website? I stop at Lupos when Im in the area, and do reccomend them to all!
SPIEDIE LOVERS UNITE! Taking over the world One grill at a time!quote:
Originally posted by Sirhymenrex

I am from Binghamton so I thought I would chime in on the Spiedie conversation. First all this talk of spiedies on Pita is sacreligios. Spiedies are traditionally and best served ona slice of Felix Roma Italian bread, as it is the only bread tough enough not to tear when removing spiedies from the skewer.
As far as the best commercially available Spiedie Sauce, for me it is a toss up between Lupo's and Salamida's. I grew up pn Lupo's restaurants, and I lean slightly in favor of their sauce.
On the topic of marinating your spiedies.. you must marinate for at least 3 days. Perhaps longer for chicken.
Best Meat for spiedies..... Lamb or Pork as they absorb the marinade better than any other meat. Chicken is the most popular, but not the tastiest of Spiedies.
Spiedies are typically served without toppings, but they can also be enjoyed "endwell style" with onions mushrooms and cheese. YUM YUM YUM.
That is my 2 cents for now ....
Allen
Please order some Spiedie Sauce online from Lupo's or Salamida's and spread the word

scottmahaffy
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs - Mon, 05/30/05 7:28 PM
Here is a little bit of Spiedie history for you all http://www.geography.ccsu.edu/harmonj/atlas/spiedie.htm

• Total Posts : 222
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs - Mon, 05/30/05 8:15 PM
Salamida's from the bottle is a little bland. I usually add 3 tablespoons of cumin per bottle.
Just the thing on deer and moose meat.

carlton pierre
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs - Mon, 05/30/05 8:45 PM
I've made my own Spiedes since I can get Salamidas at Ingles here in Knoxville. However, never having had the real thing I don't know how much better the real thing would be.

NYNM
  • Total Posts : 3037
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs - Sun, 08/28/05 10:37 PM
Nice to see all this info on spiedies! I remember the first time I heard about them. It was the 70's and I went to visit friends who had moved to Binghamton. When they asked me if I wanted some spiedies, I got little nervous because I thought they were offering me drugs!

Its also neat to hear about a really regional very localized food that hasn't been too "discovered!"

Scorereader
  • Total Posts : 5546
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs - Mon, 08/29/05 10:34 AM
IT's time for the Great New York State Fair! I'm from upstate, NY area and while spiedies is certainly a summer picnic/bbq favorite, I ALWAYS got spiedies at the location they were originally meant for...The Fair!

Today is day 5 of the Fair, if I could go, I would. It's a roadfooders wet dream, from Gianelli Sausage and Hoffman Hots, to Spiedies and Gyros, to NYS wine and the freshest milk, ice cream and butter you can find (milked just a day earlier than the day you consume it)

Show up hungry, leave full and be sure to have a spiedie where spiedies were meant to be eaten!

Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 60 of 147