Snoots- St Louis

Sirloin
2011/08/17 08:11:22
I'll be in St. Louis in a few weeks. I was initialy going to be there for 2 days but decided to spend 3 days there since there are so many great things to eat, unfortunately that means I won't be able to get to Springfield IL.

I've narrowed down snoots to three places
C & K BBQ- touted here on Roadfood but slammed everywhere else (1 1/2 stars on Yelp!)

Smoki O's- great reviews elsewhere

Roper's Ribs- even better reviews elsewhere

If I only have time for one place- which should I hit?

I know some may have other suggestions- but these are the three I've narrowed down.

Also it apperas C & K and Smoki O's have Pork Steak on the menu- another local specialty- is it worth trying?

Thanks

The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
Re:Snoots- St Louis 2011/08/17 09:15:27
I have had good experiences both times that I ventured out to Roper's.  I did not order snoots, but their ribs are more than passable.  Understand, the place is in a pretty rough neighborhood and some folks would not be excited about going there.  That said, I have always been welcomed with open arms by Mr. Roper and his family (probably making an assumption that EVERY one who works there is family, but it sure seems  like ALMOST every one is family).  

Having answered your question, my personal favorite BBQ is at Pappy's Smokehouse.  I am not sure that they would even have snoots on the menu, but the folks that run the place are fantastic - they took me out to their smokers, encouraged me to take pictures, etc.  I am heading to STL in October, and I am sure that Pappy's will be a stop for me.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Snoots- St Louis 2011/08/17 11:10:38
Thanks TTM
Looks like Roper's it is.
I knew I could rely on you when it comes to anything "Q"

BTW I remember when they had their own Sitcom- It didn't last very long...

Extreme Glow
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Snoots- St Louis 2011/08/17 11:23:34
For snouts, I would say Roper's.  It's in an African-American neighborhood but it is more middle class.  You have to park in the closed grocery store lot across the street and they have very few tables.  Most business is take out.  Lots of road construction around them last time I went.  I've never had their snouts but their other products are pretty good.  Very nice people.  Smoki-O's is more accessible in that it is closer to downtown in an industrial area.  Again, few tables and mostly takeout.  I've never been to C&K as it is out of the way for me and in the least appealling neighborhood of the three.  All three have heavily sauced product.

For BBQ in general, I would say Pappy's.  It is convenient and un-sauced (the way I prefer).  The pulled pork and ribs are first rate and the sides are very good too.  They don't have snouts or pork steaks though.

For pork steaks, you might want to try Pennie's in south STL county.  I'm not a fan of pork steaks but a friend of mine who is, says that they have the best.  Everything is pre-sauced which is how pork steaks are usually prepared.
http://www.urbanspoon.com...ies-BBQ-House-St-Louis
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Snoots- St Louis 2011/08/17 11:31:06
Thanks Extreme Glow

Looks like the consensus is definitely with Roper's for snoots-
I'm still on the fence about pork steak- again I'll be squeezing in alot and I'm still not certain which places will be open on Labor day (one of my days I'll be in town falls on Labor Day) If I call the places I plan to visit in advance then I can plan my itinerary accordingly
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
Re:Snoots- St Louis 2011/08/17 13:03:14
wanderingjew

Things would have been better if the Ropers replaced Mr. Furley and then Mr. Furley got his own show.  Think of all the wacky adventures that could have ensued.

Extreme Glow is spot on re: the heavily sauced 'que (in St Louis, in general) and the lack of tables.  Come to think of it, I don't know that I have ever seen anyone else "dine in" at Roper's on either of the occasions I have visited.  I think every other purchase has been carry out.  

I haven't been to either of the other two locations you are considering, so I can't say for sure that Roper's is the best, but I have had good experiences there, and would recommend the place overall.  
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Snoots- St Louis 2011/08/17 14:42:27
The Travelin Man

wanderingjew

Things would have been better if the Ropers replaced Mr. Furley and then Mr. Furley got his own show.  Think of all the wacky adventures that could have ensued.

I thought he did get his own show...

Didn't he retire to Mayberry NC and started hanging out with Goober, Aunt Bee and Floyd the Barber?

The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
Re:Snoots- St Louis 2011/08/17 17:29:18

Well, Golllllllllly.

That sure doesn't sound right.
zataar
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Snoots- St Louis 2011/08/17 18:22:37
Second the recommendation of Pappy's. Roper's sounds like somewhere to go the next time we are in St. Louis.

Any KC plans in your future?
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
Re:Snoots- St Louis 2011/08/17 18:34:45
Sort of....maybe.  :)

I will keep you posted.  I am compiling my work travel schedule right now.  So far, I know I have Dallas, Austin, Houston, St. Louis, San Antonio, Denver, Boise, Spokane, Portland (OR), Seattle, Little Rock, and Indianapolis (not necessarily in that order).  I would LIKE to make Kansas City....
Sfreader
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Snoots- St Louis 2011/08/18 09:42:44
I didn't care much for C&K. All of their dishes (snoots, chicken, ribs, etc) are served in a to-go box with two slices of bread and a serving of potato salad. By the time you eat it, the sauce, bread and salad are all mixed.

The snoots were OK, but no treat. The BBQ chicken was about like you get from a supermarket.