Paper plates

Sirloin
2011/08/19 13:22:07
I just got shot down by an acquaintance for showing him a picture of what I had for dinner last night.  He's a snob and loves to pick on how others live or what they do.  Reason number one for his being an acquaintance and not a real friend.  (To shoot him down, he lives for chains!)

Dinner is potato blintz, my newly found ripe green olives and a couple pepperoncini.   I couldn't find my vodka so I added the juice from the bottle of pepperoncini to V8 and it was delicious.

My dishwasher was running and I didn't feel like messing up more plates. I usually use paper plates with the rattan holders under them for sandwiches.

Anyway, I told him this:

If you think about it, people of means should be the ones using them as opposed to poor people because you're throwing away money when you are through with them...  making them a luxury item.

I forgot to mention to the snob that he missed the Cutco steak knife.

How do you feel about paper plates?

ScreamingChicken
Filet Mignon
Re:Paper plates 2011/08/19 13:54:48
I'd eat that meal if you served it in a wheel cover from a '57 DeSoto.

I don't mind paper plates but prefer to use them only when they're the most practical option, which truthfully isn't very often.

Brad
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Paper plates 2011/08/19 14:01:42
Thanks, Brad.

I'd sell your  '57 De Soto Hub Cap.

It was a simple meal, but hit the spot on a lazy day.

I found those blintze  (plural of blintza)  in the frozen section of a Polish delicatessen.  They were hiding in the back of my garage freezer and I rediscovered them yesterday when looking for something to eat.

I'd buy more than one package the next time!  There were ten in the package.
felix4067
Filet Mignon
Re:Paper plates 2011/08/19 14:15:44
We use paper plates all the time, primarily because we don't own a dishwasher, and with only two of us dishes get washed every 2-3 days at best. I believe we pay something like $1.50 for 500 of them. Actual dinner is always served on real plates, but pretty much everything else that isn't too liquidy comes on a paper plate.
kland01s
Filet Mignon
Re:Paper plates 2011/08/19 14:19:28
We don't use paper but we did keep a supply around when the niece and nephews came around when they were 12 and under. Boy, those kids could go though plates.
eruby
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Paper plates 2011/08/19 14:22:56
LOVE the paper plate. Easy clean up!

Tasty looking blintzes.

As for your naysayer, I'd paraphrase Godfather II:

Your nothing to me now XXXXXX.
You're not an acquaintance, and you're not a friend.
I don't want to know you, or what you do ...........
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Paper plates 2011/08/19 14:43:43
Ouch, that's rough!  
SeamusD
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Paper plates 2011/08/19 16:07:10
I'm a bachelor, take a wild guess.
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:Paper plates 2011/08/19 16:18:25
I use paper plates often. Its just Bob and I, and for lunch, especially, they make sense.
Your meal looks lovely!
mbrookes
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Paper plates 2011/08/19 17:15:36
I use paper plates for sandwhiches and the like, but I am picky about them. I will only use Chinet. They are sturdy and do not soak up juice and fall apart. 
ken8038
Re:Paper plates 2011/08/19 17:46:18
Raise two kids and you learn all about using paper plates. The kids are grown now but we still use them. We actually have two types on hand, the real cheap ones (like 500 for $3.99) and the better ones (the Dixie ones that Costco sells) for greasier food. We do use real plates too. The one thing we will never use are the  styrofoam ones, for all sorts of reasons.

This discussion brings to mind Calvin Trillin's famous line about the time a yuppie-ish acquaintance of his wanted to take him to a great BBQ place he knew. Trillin was skeptical and asked him: Do they use plates? The acquaintance answered: OF COURSE they use plates.
Trillin said that while he didn't have any objection to plates at a BBQ place, he didn't really have any desire to go to a BBQ place that OF COURSE used plates.

mar52
Sirloin
Re:Paper plates 2011/08/19 17:51:17
I use the cheap paper plates because they are what fit the rattan holders.  I layer them about 4 deep.

I'm a dish nut.  I have at least without really counting 8 sets of different dinner plates, twelve in a set.  It helps when I do theme dinners.

But I have no problem with paper and use them often.

claracamille
Cheeseburger
Re:Paper plates 2011/08/20 14:24:15
It has been just my husband & I for a long time so we use heavy duty plastic coated paper plates a lot.  I get the store brands(really reasonable).  We use "real" dishes for steaks, roasts, pork chops ect.  When all the kids, grandkids are here(17 total, 18 in Feb- 9th grandchild due then)  I get nice heavy duty plates, bowls, etc.  We sit all youngest grandkids  at the table & everyone else takes a seat, you can hardly walk across the floor. 
Food & fellowship,everthing else is optional-that is our motto.
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Paper plates 2011/08/20 15:28:28
I was awake all night realizing that my paper plate holders are not rattan.  Now I can't think of what type of material they're made from.  Some sort of woven cane.

Maybe they're wicker.  I think they're bamboo for sure.
CajunKing
Sirloin
Re:Paper plates 2011/08/20 22:28:05
I each summer I buy 2 sets of those plastic divided plates from wm. 10 plates for $2.00.  They last through the year and by the next summer they are ready to be recycled.

It just reminds me of being in grade school with the divided plates, but for the price you can't beat them.
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:Paper plates 2011/08/21 09:46:21
Sorry, no paper plates for me.  We have a dishwasher but even if we didn't I would wash them by hand.  I hate paper plates.
sk bob
Re:Paper plates 2011/08/21 20:55:00
mar52, you don't need an aquantice like that. drop him like you would paper plate in the trash. paper plates are great for anyting that doesn't require a plate like real juicy stuff.
we have a dishwasher & for the 2 of us we run it once a week. it usually works out to be Sunday, today, its running now.
did this snob ever show you a picture of what he cooked? 
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Paper plates 2011/08/21 21:29:53
As a matter of fact, he does post pictures, but only when he's eating what he considers fancy stuff.

He's the one who buys the stuffed salmon at the market.

ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:Paper plates 2011/08/21 21:46:47
Poor guy.........
DawnT
Re:Paper plates 2011/08/21 23:30:16
 We never used disposable plates and cups unless the girls had sleep overs and the entire night over could be carried out in a garbage bag the next afternoon or we went on an outing like to the beach or a park. What we did use and I still continue to use for sandwiches, finger foods, and light meals is the Tablecraft type plastic baskets and a box of 500 sheet fan fold deli paper as liners. All the convenience of a disposable paper plate for a fraction of the cost. We have both the bowl type and the flat base type. You're not going to serve a steak or a bowl of soup in them, but for many meals, they are far cheaper and more convenient then paper plates. I've actually received many compliments on them as if being served in a restaurant.
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Paper plates 2011/08/22 00:39:16
I like that idea.  I guess you get them at a restaurant supply?
DawnT
Re:Paper plates 2011/08/22 02:15:12
There's quite a few retail sources Marlene.
I've seen the red 10" bowl type Tablecraft baskets at BBB packaged 6 to a pack where they have their own display with the catsup bottles and the table dispensers. This is the size I use the most. It's really convenient. You might also want to check out a few dollar stores. I have some green, 12" ones that I found at one. Also you can find them at web retailers like Webstaurant Store. They sell all the sizes and colors and break case lots reasonable for home use. If you buy from a supplier, they have many nicer colors then the red, green, or black ones you find in the insitutional supply places.

The fan fold paper that I buy is 15" x 10 3/4" / 500 sheets for around $10. It would be much cheaper, near half if I could buy by the case. I've also seen it at party goods suppliers often in the catering aisle in different sizes. The 15" ones are a bit overkill for the 10" baskets, but I also use them in the larger baskets or sometimes on plates and it's also the perfect size for wrapping standard sized bread sandwiches. The next size smaller would probably be cheaper, but this size seems to be a great all-around fit for a single size.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Paper plates 2011/08/22 09:08:25
A blintz without sour cream is an abomination upon the Earth.

... unless you were my screwy father who liked his with cinnamon and sugar.
NascarDad
Cheeseburger
Re:Paper plates 2011/08/22 10:54:21
We keep small paper plates out all the time, mostly to reheat stuff in the microwave, a lot of it during breakfast.
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Paper plates 2011/08/22 13:11:12
Dawn, thank you for the information.

The new Dollar Tree in my neighborhood should expect a visit from me today. 
casybing
Junior Burger
Re:Paper plates 2012/04/04 01:08:06
Everything has its place. We often serve dinner for 20 and I always use china and flatware. We have friends who invite us to dinner at their home and they always use plastic plates and forks and it drives me crazy, they have a dishwasher. I do not like eating off plastic unless I'm packing a picnic and just want to throw everything away after eating.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Paper plates 2012/04/04 05:26:11
I'm a snob. I'll only use Chinet, thank you very much. The flimsy cheapo ones don't cut it. With just the 2 of us, we usually eat at different times whenever we're hungry. We'll sit down together maybe 2-3 times a week, then we use regular dishes.
Hate the plastic plates and the plastic forks, knives & spoons. AND NEVER styrofoam.
If takeout food comes in styrofoam, I take it out and put it on a paper or regular plate.
post edited by Foodbme - 2012/04/04 05:28:01
fattybomatty
Re:Paper plates 2012/04/04 08:33:26
I only use paper plates if I am having more people over than I have plates for.

For me, it is not a disdain for paper plates it is more about trying to be environmentally friendly (I hate the term green) and to save money. While paper plates are cheap taking a couple moments to wash my plate is cheaper. And right now, every penny counts.

My Dad despises paper plates and Styrofoam cups. The cups because of the texture and I think the plates are because he associates them with being messy. The man can't stand any food items on his plate touching so paper plates increase the chance of that happening and flimsy ones might cause a mess when.he is eating. Heaven forbid! Haha
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Paper plates 2012/04/06 03:10:19
PP and I used paper plates for years, I still do.
porkbeaks
Re:Paper plates 2012/04/06 08:59:53
MikeS.

PP and I used paper plates for years, I still do.

Right on, Mike! Power to the paper! pb
pnwchef
Re:Paper plates 2012/04/06 09:35:25
We had dinner at an Italian Market last night, My little Mollie had her Spaghetti dinner on a disposable plate, plastic fork and knife. The Antipasto came on the same kind of plate, my Italian Sausage & Pepper sandwich was in a paper boat. All the food was great, who cares what it's served in or on, it's the quality of food I go for.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Paper plates 2012/04/07 00:47:55
The beauty of paper plates is you can pick them up, turn them into a funnel and pour the food down your gullet!
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Paper plates 2012/04/07 02:24:53
I love measuring my spices out on to a paper plate.
Fold it and funnel the spices in to the pot or bowl.  Toss.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Paper plates 2012/04/07 04:26:29
mar52

I love measuring my spices out on to a paper plate.
Fold it and funnel the spices in to the pot or bowl.  Toss.

Good Idea!