How do you prepare hot dogs at YOUR house?

Junior Burger
2011/09/04 18:50:25
I'm sure this has probably been discussed on here sometime in the past, but...  I couldn't find any related posts using the search engine - and it's a fun topic anyway, that can bear gettin' taken back out, dusted off and offered up to the denizens of this sub-forum of Roadfood...

So...  How do you prepare your hot dogs in the privacy of your own home?

I generally do them one of two ways:

1) Since I don't have one of those nice ol' Viking grills in the front window of my house - I bust out Gramma's cast iron skillet* and roll 'em around in there until they've achieved my desired degree of char...  I usually even remember to turn on the exhaust fan.  (The times that I've forgotten...  the smoke detector makes a great timer!)

or...

2) Trim the bushes that have grown up around the grill in my backyard, make sure the grill still exists under the shrubbery, turn on the propane (if there's still any in the tank) - then fire it up.  I don't feel compelled to play around with charcoal - I'm not looking for the fire to flavor the franks, but just to warm 'em up and get a nice "char" on 'em...

Your turn...
----------
*It's not really Gramma's cast iron skillet.  I don't think my "Gramma" ever used a cast iron skillet...  But - I - do...!
post edited by Wienie Will - 2011/09/06 05:38:11
MellowRoast
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:How do you prepare hot dogs are YOUR house? 2011/09/04 19:24:34
You're right, the search engine is frustrating and doesn't always yield good results, but here it is: http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/How-do-YOU-cook-your-hotdogs-when-at-home-m657969.aspx
post edited by MellowRoast - 2011/09/04 19:26:55
John Fox
Re:How do you prepare hot dogs are YOUR house? 2011/09/05 08:33:35
I've prepared hot dogs all different ways. Most of the time when I have a beef dog I heat in water then finish it off on the beackyard grill. I prefer beef/pork dogs on my griddle. But I've gotten lazy and don't like dragging it up from the basement and making room for it. So I heat in water and transfer to a cast iron griddle.

I love the German style beef/pork franks from a few pork stores I patronize. These franks (along with Thumann's) are more loosely packed as they don't go through a process known as vacuum chopping which sucks the air out of the meat mixture and makes for a denser frank. No matter how low I keep the heat level, these franks burst open. Not a little but like an inch. I suspect that part of the reason is my grill. The other is the tender franks. So I spray my skillet with Pam (I don't like butter) and cook in the skillet after heating (not boiling) in water. They turn out great.

I've even started doing this with beef dogs with the exception of the Best Provisions 5/1 natural casing (previously served at Syd's) beef frank. This particular hot dog, while good on the griddle or skillet is much better finished off on a gas or charcoal grill.
Wienie Will
Junior Burger
Re:How do you prepare hot dogs are YOUR house? 2011/09/05 12:07:48
John FoxMost of the time when I have a beef dog I heat in water then finish it off on the beackyard grill.

I've often wondered about this approach (as I don't use it myself).  Obviously, when warming a hot dog in water, some of the flavor is leeched out.  Since pork/beef hot dogs have such a mild flavor, leeching any of the flavor out would be a bad thing.  It seems to me that this approach would work much better with an all beef hot dog with a much stronger flavor profile.

John FoxI prefer beef/pork dogs on my griddle. But I've gotten lazy and don't like dragging it up from the basement and making room for it.So I heat in water and transfer to a cast iron griddle.

I've read several times you mention your "griddle" (as opposed to your "cast iron griddle") - making me believe you have both.  Would you mind describing your "griddle"?  I'm intrigued and believe I may be missing out on something...

John FoxI love the German style beef/pork franks from a few pork stores I patronize.

I'm fortunate to have a German butcher shop within 10 miles of my home.  Having spent six years in Bavaria (care of the U.S. Air Force) I've been in love with their meats ever since - and get over there  as often as I can.  (They have limited hours of operation so timing is critical!)

I'm guessing the whole "hot water" thing is used just to warm the franks - in order to keep from having them on the grill or griddle too long - where they may split before achieving their desired temperature.

John Fox
Re:How do you prepare hot dogs are YOUR house? 2011/09/05 12:51:12
I heat the franks in water for about 5 minutes. I haven't noticed a loss of flavor. I do this to heat the dogs through evenly. Sometimes on a grill the dogs might appear done on the outside but when I eat them I find they're not as hot on the inside as I would like.

Heating in water also reduces the amount of time they have to stay on the grill. I don't have to watch/turn them as often. With kosher or kosher style dogs some of the excess salt is removed in the water.

I have a cast iron skillet and a griddle. My griddle is a cheap electric griddle that you can buy in any department store. I don't know where my wife purchased it. I haven't used it in awhile, but I like to put foil on it (like Papaya King) and grill the dogs on it. Beef/pork franks more so than all beef. The beef franks usually go outside on the grill or in the skillet.
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:How do you prepare hot dogs are YOUR house? 2011/09/05 13:04:09
Microwave them until the casing bursts. Perfect every time.

Now if I'm in a hurry ...
Wienie Will
Junior Burger
Re:How do you prepare hot dogs are YOUR house? 2011/09/05 14:46:10
John FoxI heat the franks in water for about 5 minutes. I haven't noticed a loss of flavor. I do this to heat the dogs through evenly.

John FoxHeating in water also reduces the amount of time they have to stay on the grill.

That was my guess...

John FoxWith kosher or kosher style dogs some of the excess salt is removed in the water.

I hadn't thought of that...  I generally eat more port/beef franks than kosher or kosher-style beef franks...

John FoxI have a cast iron skillet and a griddle. My griddle is a cheap electric griddle that you can buy in any department store.

Is this the type of griddle you're referring to?  (Or something similar?)

John FoxThe beef franks usually go outside on the grill or in the skillet.

I assume this is the type of skillet you're referring to...

-=WW=-
John Fox
Re:How do you prepare hot dogs are YOUR house? 2011/09/05 17:59:24
Griddle and skillet pictured are what I use.
yuppicide
Cheeseburger
Re:How do you prepare hot dogs are YOUR house? 2011/09/05 23:15:04
I fry them in a pan with butter. Sometimes I cut them in half almost all the way and press them down with my sandwich/bacon press thing.

This way not only the outside gets crispy, but the inside too.

I usually top them with a homemade Texas Weiner sauce. I've let a few people taste it and they all agree it tastes pretty close to what I'd get back where we used to live.. G&J Texas Weiner in Dunellen, NJ. The only thing everyone agrees on is there is a bit too much of one spice in the recipe, but other than that they love it.
fishtaco
Double Cheeseburger
Re:How do you prepare hot dogs are YOUR house? 2011/09/06 14:09:10
Anyone else put Mayo on their hot dog?
MellowRoast
Re:How do you prepare hot dogs are YOUR house? 2011/09/06 14:37:39
I occasionally do for a change of pace.  I can't say the same for kethcup, though.
post edited by MellowRoast - 2011/09/06 14:38:57
ChrisOC
Double Cheeseburger
Re:How do you prepare hot dogs are YOUR house? 2011/09/08 09:28:09
When I was in the Navy, I had a shipmate who liked to put peanut butter on his hot dogs.
fishtaco
Double Cheeseburger
Re:How do you prepare hot dogs are YOUR house? 2011/09/08 14:27:33
ChrisOC

When I was in the Navy, I had a shipmate who liked to put peanut butter on his hot dogs.

Havn't tried it on a dog yet. It is most wonderful on a burger.

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:How do you prepare hot dogs are YOUR house? 2011/09/08 17:31:12
Split and grilled, then served in a buttered, toasted split-top bun with mustard, relish and sauerkraut (and sometimes chopped raw onions).
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re:How do you prepare hot dogs are YOUR house? 2011/09/08 19:19:35
ChrisOC

Was his name, Elvis?
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re:How do you prepare hot dogs are YOUR house? 2011/09/08 19:25:40
Thumannn's (brand) natural casing dogs boiled gently then grilled whole on my heavy, coated aluminum flat top burger/pancake griddle.
Buns very lightly toasted on the same flat top. Condiments; Mustard and chopped raw onions and sometimes, relish and/or sauerkraut.
post edited by Twinwillow - 2011/09/08 19:29:28
gostillerz
Cheeseburger
Re:How do you prepare hot dogs are YOUR house? 2011/09/08 20:04:47
Usuals: Steamed bun, Hebrew Nationals on a skillet either Chicago or Coney style.
On occasion: horseradish sauce and cold sauerkraut, or sriracha, shredded cabbage/radish, or barbecue sauce with coleslaw.
007bond-jb
Double Cheeseburger
Re:How do you prepare hot dogs at YOUR house? 2011/09/10 15:56:02
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:How do you prepare hot dogs at YOUR house? 2011/10/08 19:18:54
For hotdogs, even though I have a microwave, a Cuisinart Griddler, and a Viking stove, I realize that my mother (and NYC hotdog carts) knew best:  throw them into boiling water for a few minutes.

For sausages, the Griddler works best.
jaylhorner
Cheeseburger
Re:How do you prepare hot dogs at YOUR house? 2011/10/08 22:49:58
bbq!
charlottesailor
Junior Burger
Re:How do you prepare hot dogs at YOUR house? 2011/10/09 07:06:56
Since I grew up in a Chicago suburb, they go into simmering water.  Then on a bun with mustard,  sweet relish, chopped onions, tomato wedges and slice of pickle.
UncleVic
Sirloin
Re:How do you prepare hot dogs at YOUR house? 2011/10/09 07:28:10
When I was living in Michigan I would cook my Koegles in hot water (not boiling).  But since moving down to Florida, I've been less picky. Here I'll cook a Hebrew National in hot water, bbq grill or microwave (the 4/1 version)... They come out really good in the microwave!  Also, I use Nathans which seem to only be acceptable if slow cooked in hot water (not boiling), and the same with Sabretts... Both don't taste right if microwaved. My last selection is National Deli which come out good any way you cook them.
As for toppings, if I bbq them, I like the traditional toppings (Mustard, Onion, sweet relish), but with the other methods I found this great sauce called Green Lava which is a Jamaican Pepper Sauce. (Made with Avocado's, Jalapeno's and red wine vinegar). Adds a nice kick to the dogs!  Otherwise I'll defiantly be making a chili dog (which by the way will be todays lunch).