Hot!generator mounted on the front of a food truck VS the back bumper...

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
THE WILD DOG
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1465
2011/09/10 23:18:07 (permalink)

generator mounted on the front of a food truck VS the back bumper...

What are you thoughts on this? I have a HUGE front bumper with two poles on it that will allow room for my generator vs modifiying my back bumper to attach it there.  Is there a real diff where it should go ? My serving window is towards the back of the truck.

33 Replies Related Threads

Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3716
    Re:generator mounted on the front of a food truck VS the back bumper... 2011/09/11 09:50:51 (permalink)
    Dog,
    I have been struggling with this question for months. I even have considered a small pull behind trailer that could be hand wheeled some short distance from the truck when parked.

One other thought I have had is to front or back mount and run the generator exhaust into the truck exhaust system to help keep the noisy level down. I'm not sure what effect the length of the generator exhaust system (exhaust pipe) may have if any on the generator. And frankly I have not found anyone here in town that has any solid knowledge on this topic. Lorna may have some links from here favorite RV groups. Please post what you learn, try, or your success so the rest of us may learn.
    THE WILD DOG
    Re:generator mounted on the front of a food truck VS the back bumper... 2011/09/11 10:54:18 (permalink)
    i was thinking if I mount it to the front and run a short pipe under the truck to extend the exhaust, if that would make it quieter or if the engine alone since it is just a 420 cc 16 hp engine. I imagine it's a 4 stroke and not entirely annoyingly loud. Lol
    BackRhodes
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 726
    Re:generator mounted on the front of a food truck VS the back bumper... 2011/09/12 18:58:32 (permalink)
    Something to consider is WHERE the exhaust will go & discharge...remember that it contains lethal CO (Carbon Monoxide) ... which you don't want even a little bit entering your enclosed spaces...(CO is odorless, colorless, and tasteless)

I like the idea of the small trailer for it...make sure the wire size is adequate for the load versus the distance of the wire run...IF in doubt you might want to buy 12 AWG "contractors cords" with twist lock connectors...

IF you live in a state that has SMOG requirements for motor vehicles, you might end up voiding your DMV certification if you modify the stock exhaust system by tapping into it (every RV I've seen on the west coast has a separate exhaust for the built in genny)...

A local caterer in my area has a medium sized trailer, with generous hitch tongue length, and they mounted a genny on the tongue in a VERY nice looking "diamond plate" metal box which protects it from weather and stupid humans...I think the genny is a Honda gasoline 4 stroke at 3,500 to 5,000 watts...(I'd avoid a smelly diesel fueled genny)
    BackAlleyBurger
    • Total Posts : 1077
    Re:generator mounted on the front of a food truck VS the back bumper... 2011/09/12 20:50:47 (permalink)
    you really do sound like a misguided school teacher....and you think we are all 5 years old.....

please just stop
    THE WILD DOG
    Re:generator mounted on the front of a food truck VS the back bumper... 2011/09/12 23:54:22 (permalink)
    did i miss something ?
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    Re:generator mounted on the front of a food truck VS the back bumper... 2011/09/13 00:16:16 (permalink)
    BackAlleyBurger

you really do sound like a misguided school teacher....and you think we are all 5 years old.....

please just stop

GREAT POST!
    JodyP
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 322
    Re:generator mounted on the front of a food truck VS the back bumper... 2011/09/13 07:16:24 (permalink)
    There is something to consider when you start to change out the exhaust systems on the generator motor. Most of the motors are designed to operate only with the exhaust system they come with. Has something to do with the amount of back pressure to the motor. I have been told by several small engine shops that if you change the exhaust system, unless there is an O.E.M. equivalent that you will drastically shorten your engine life. I have a large Generac that supplies over 50 amps, but the darn thing is so nosy even 75’ away from my trailer it is still loud. If I have to use it I will leave it on the back of my truck and try to park the truck behind something else. I decided to bite the bullet and look for a Honda. Because I operate a trailer I will have to mount it on the tongue but would prefer to mount it on the rear away from oncoming elements.
    BackRhodes
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:generator mounted on the front of a food truck VS the back bumper... 2011/09/13 21:11:44 (permalink)
    BackAlleyBurger      you really do sound like a misguided school teacher....and you think we are all 5 years old.....    please just stop     

Bite me...!!!

You seem to feel it is your God appointed duty to jump on me...and you sound like a very cranky type person...

Only a very INsecure person would take offense and accuse me of treating somebody as a five year old...

The entire reason I try to give a "heads up", and safety warnings is that MANY people jump into things without full knowledge of their consequences...such as voiding a cars smog system (which may or maynot apply where you live, it's possible you don't have smog safety inspections in your state)...

How many times have we heard of somebody trying to kludge something together...???  Lots...!!!

How many times have we heard of somebody gassing themselves with carbon monoxide...???

IF you already know these things, great...if you don't know these things then somebody has to mention it...not all DIY folks think these things out...and that's what I'm addressing...the idiots that would unknowingly create a potentially lethal hazard...
    Do you have a problem with that...???

We ALL start on the same end of the learning curve...including YOU...people are not born with knowledge, it has to be learned...or are you the rare exception...???

Chill out and take your meds...
    BackRhodes
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:generator mounted on the front of a food truck VS the back bumper... 2011/09/13 21:18:56 (permalink)
    JODY...

Honda's are good genny's...

One thing I'd suggest...buy a spare regulator spring...it's a very thin coil spring about 10" long (or so) and it goes between the throttle linkage and the regulator vane near the flywheel...once it breaks, the genny will not go faster than an idle...and of course it will break when you least expect it, and IF you don't have a spare, you're SOL...mine seem to last about 2 years, depending on how often the genny is used...it;s a thin, fragile spring...DeWalt genny's with Honda engines use the same spring...(I learned my lesson a few winters ago when the grid power was out for about a week and the genny was the only power source I had)...

Just a heads up that I learned along the way...

Rootsman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 235
    Re:generator mounted on the front of a food truck VS the back bumper... 2011/09/21 12:53:00 (permalink)
    I've seen them on the front and the back.   No comment as to which is better, and if front end or rear end collisions are more common.  One I like a lot was on the front and tied in to the vans gas line.  Not sure about the exhaust system.

The funny think was they showed up at an event and the gen would not work, even though it worked fine earlier.  Turns out the van needs 1/4 tank or more of gas for the gen to work.
    billyp
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 87
    Re:generator mounted on the front of a food truck VS the back bumper... 2011/09/21 16:48:59 (permalink)
    I struggled with this question and one thing I didn't want was the noise of the generator to bother my customers and I didn't want the noise and vibration bothering me all day long either. I ended up mounting a cargo carrier with a fold down ramp on the rear trailer hitch receiver. When I set up I roll the generator off and put it at the front driver's side corner of the truck on the ground. (Truck has exterior receptacle for generator cable).  My serving window is toward the rear on the passenger side.  Noise is minimal at the serving window  and hardly noticable in the truck.
    It adds just a minute or two to set up vs. leaving the generator on the rig.
    Here is a picture of the carrier with the generator on it:

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcd...2_482888_3800171_n.jpg
    billyp
    Hamburger
    Re:generator mounted on the front of a food truck VS the back bumper... 2011/09/21 16:54:20 (permalink)
    Not sure, but I think most RVs are set up that way too so you don't get stranded......
    BackAlleyBurger
    • Total Posts : 1077
    Re:generator mounted on the front of a food truck VS the back bumper... 2011/09/21 18:47:27 (permalink)
    Rootsman I've seen them on the front and the back.   No comment as to which is better, and if front end or rear end collisions are more common.  One I like a lot was on the front and tied in to the vans gas line.  Not sure about the exhaust system.
     The funny think was they showed up at an event and the gen would not work, even though it worked fine earlier.  Turns out the van needs 1/4 tank or more of gas for the gen to work.

yeppers, i already have the supply line for my genset gas installed in the new gas tank, you want to set it at about the 1/4 tank level or so, so you dont let the genny suck the tank dry and leave you stranded
    Midnights
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 225
    Re:generator mounted on the front of a food truck VS the back bumper... 2013/10/29 10:40:29 (permalink)
    billyp

I struggled with this question and one thing I didn't want was the noise of the generator to bother my customers and I didn't want the noise and vibration bothering me all day long either. I ended up mounting a cargo carrier with a fold down ramp on the rear trailer hitch receiver. When I set up I roll the generator off and put it at the front driver's side corner of the truck on the ground. (Truck has exterior receptacle for generator cable).  My serving window is toward the rear on the passenger side.  Noise is minimal at the serving window  and hardly noticable in the truck.
    It adds just a minute or two to set up vs. leaving the generator on the rig.
    Here is a picture of the carrier with the generator on it:

This is similar to what I was going to do. The picture no longer shows up, do you have it posted somewhere else?
    Also, for those who have mounted a trailer hitch to a step van, do you have any recommendations as to type/style, model, or brand?

Rcoy
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 97
    Re:generator mounted on the front of a food truck VS the back bumper... 2013/10/29 19:43:51 (permalink)
    Dr of BBQ

Dog,
    I have been struggling with this question for months. I even have considered a small pull behind trailer that could be hand wheeled some short distance from the truck when parked.

One other thought I have had is to front or back mount and run the generator exhaust into the truck exhaust system to help keep the noisy level down. I'm not sure what effect the length of the generator exhaust system (exhaust pipe) may have if any on the generator. And frankly I have not found anyone here in town that has any solid knowledge on this topic. Lorna may have some links from here favorite RV groups. Please post what you learn, try, or your success so the rest of us may learn.

You don't want to run the genset exhaust into the truck exhaust. One will fill the other with exhaust when only one is running and there is the potential for conflict when you run both at the same time. All the manufacturers recommend against it.

As long as the exhaust isn't restrictive any length of pipe will be fine (within reason) Some rvers use a slip on stack with a muffler built in that both quiets the exhaust and dumps it above roof height.
    roadkillgrill
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 179
    Re:generator mounted on the front of a food truck VS the back bumper... 2013/10/30 08:41:41 (permalink)
    Mine is on the front mounted. I like it much better. Now for the down side. Luckily I mounted mine with dual receiver hitches. The genset will have to be removed for towing which I was glad I had made it this way. but that is the case if its mounted on the rear also. I run a Honda so exhaust isnt a problem. Sounds like you have a bumper that is on utility trucks. I would bet that it's heavy enough to be used for towing as long as the genset doesn't protrude past the edge. I wish I had the lighted poles on the front. Good Luck
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    Re:generator mounted on the front of a food truck VS the back bumper... 2013/10/30 12:33:09 (permalink)
    Rcoy You don't want to run the genset exhaust into the truck exhaust. One will fill the other with exhaust when only one is running and there is the potential for conflict when you run both at the same time. All the manufacturers recommend against it.

Would you post some links to the manufacturers recommendations? I have done more research on this and have been told just the opposite is true and my information comes from a very reliable source. The guy that built my truck motor (long time friend)  is considered to be one of the finest race car motor builders in the country. In fact hes now building them for a bunch of customers in Japan. LOL I have no idea what they are doing with them.  And he also races and builds Go Cats. And builds go cart motors for people all over the country. He told me the longer the exhaust pipe on a generator the better and there would be no problem running my generator exhaust into my engine exhaust. He explained the theory on the length but I just don't have time to post it right now. It's 11:00 AM and I just opened for the day. But I'd really like to see the factory recommendations on this issue?????
    Rcoy
    Hamburger
    Re:generator mounted on the front of a food truck VS the back bumper... 2013/10/30 20:52:49 (permalink)
    Dr of BBQ

Rcoy You don't want to run the genset exhaust into the truck exhaust. One will fill the other with exhaust when only one is running and there is the potential for conflict when you run both at the same time. All the manufacturers recommend against it.

Would you post some links to the manufacturers recommendations? I have done more research on this and have been told just the opposite is true and my information comes from a very reliable source. The guy that built my truck motor (long time friend)  is considered to be one of the finest race car motor builders in the country. In fact hes now building them for a bunch of customers in Japan. LOL I have no idea what they are doing with them.  And he also races and builds Go Cats. And builds go cart motors for people all over the country. He told me the longer the exhaust pipe on a generator the better and there would be no problem running my generator exhaust into my engine exhaust. He explained the theory on the length but I just don't have time to post it right now. It's 11:00 AM and I just opened for the day. But I'd really like to see the factory recommendations on this issue?????

The exhaust issue can be resolve by inches of water back pressure, less than 2 I believe and you are good to go. Your buddy is correct in regards to length, as long as back pressure stays at or below spec.

This is a quote from the install manual from my onan.

"CAUTION Interconnecting the engine exhaust systems will allow exhaust condensates and soot to migrate into the engine that is idle, causing engine damage. 11.Do not connect the genset to the vehicle engine exhaust system."

"12.Exhaust back pressure under full load must not exceed 2 inches (51 mm) water column (WC) as measured within 6 inches (154 mm) of the muffler outlet flange.
    post edited by Rcoy - 2013/10/30 20:58:27
    RodBangkok
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 401
    Re:generator mounted on the front of a food truck VS the back bumper... 2013/10/30 22:03:51 (permalink)
    Rcoy

Dr of BBQ

The exhaust issue can be resolve by inches of water back pressure, less than 2 I believe and you are good to go. Your buddy is correct in regards to length, as long as back pressure stays at or below spec.

This is a quote from the install manual from my onan.

"CAUTION Interconnecting the engine exhaust systems will allow exhaust condensates and soot to migrate into the engine that is idle, causing engine damage. 11.Do not connect the genset to the vehicle engine exhaust system."

"12.Exhaust back pressure under full load must not exceed 2 inches (51 mm) water column (WC) as measured within 6 inches (154 mm) of the muffler outlet flange.

The onan quote from above is correct.  If a secondary engine is connected, and not running at sufficient output power or in fact not powered up, the primary engines exhausts condensates, will push this back into the secondary units engine thru its exhaust system, over time causing damage to the secondary engine.  I believe references to this can also be found on Cummins or Cat tech sites, as that is where I first encountered it a long time ago.
    post edited by RodBangkok - 2013/10/30 22:04:55
    fishscale28
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 251
    Re:generator mounted on the front of a food truck VS the back bumper... 2013/10/31 02:58:43 (permalink)
    One way valve/flap/butterfly at the junction of your engine and gennys exhaust will be the perfect solution-if you're looking to run them together.
    RodBangkok
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 401
    Re:generator mounted on the front of a food truck VS the back bumper... 2013/10/31 04:50:45 (permalink)
    fishscale28

One way valve/flap/butterfly at the junction of your engine and gennys exhaust will be the perfect solution-if you're looking to run them together.

You've got a whole new set of variables now, forward pressure from the secondary engine to open a valve, while on the other side of that valve you have exhaust pressure from the primary engine pushing against it, these pressures along with the valve diameter and then throw in engine speed of both and your going to have fun balancing a valve that would work all the time.  Not as simple as it sounds.  
    gonzojuice
    Hamburger
    Re:generator mounted on the front of a food truck VS the back bumper... 2013/10/31 09:49:06 (permalink)
    I mounted my genny to the front, and I definitely have a problem with my generator exhaust filling my engine compartment and then filling the truck with exhaust. I need to extend the generator exhaust pipe up over the windshield
    fishscale28
    Cheeseburger
    Re:generator mounted on the front of a food truck VS the back bumper... 2013/10/31 23:25:22 (permalink)
    I'm pretty sure that wouldn't be too hard to overcome. Exhaust valves and flaps are pretty common place in quite a few applications so as long as back pressure isnt restricted by downsizing or limiting diameter too drastically it could work just fine? Easier than running two exhausts? Nope...but doable nonethess
    Rcoy
    Hamburger
    Re:generator mounted on the front of a food truck VS the back bumper... 2013/10/31 23:28:27 (permalink)
    fishscale28

I'm pretty sure that wouldn't be too hard to overcome. Exhaust valves and flaps are pretty common place in quite a few applications so as long as back pressure isnt restricted by downsizing or limiting diameter too drastically it could work just fine? Easier than running two exhausts? Nope...but doable nonethess

Back in the day people ran cable controlled dumps @ the header collector, you could rig something like that, but as you say 2 exhausts would probably be easier, and you wouldn't have to remember to open/close the valves
    Rcoy
    Hamburger
    Re:generator mounted on the front of a food truck VS the back bumper... 2013/10/31 23:30:47 (permalink)
    gonzojuice

I mounted my genny to the front, and I definitely have a problem with my generator exhaust filling my engine compartment and then filling the truck with exhaust. I need to extend the generator exhaust pipe up over the windshield

If you don't mind setting up and breaking down, a lot of rv owners reall like gen-turis.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/...ref=pd_sl_1km42f7kcq_e
    post edited by Rcoy - 2013/10/31 23:32:25
    fishscale28
    Cheeseburger
    Re:generator mounted on the front of a food truck VS the back bumper... 2013/11/01 03:11:53 (permalink)
    they're certainly great for getting the exhaust up and away from anyone...great for events with a lot of trucks (or camping).  I've even seen a few more permanent style applications that fit what we do a bit better
    gonzojuice
    Hamburger
    Re:generator mounted on the front of a food truck VS the back bumper... 2013/11/01 10:46:28 (permalink)
    Perfect. Thank you
    Midnights
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 225
    Re:generator mounted on the front of a food truck VS the back bumper... 2013/11/01 18:28:38 (permalink)
    So, with mounting it on the exterior of the truck, do most of you put a box around it? I can see how this would help with noise, keep it out of the elements, and reduce the chances of theft or tampering.
    I saw a video on YouTube of a generator box made from Suncast shed. The person who did it said that it does not get too hot (I would be worried about the heat melting the box).
    Another video showed a box lined with synthetic cork underlayment (normally used under tile floors. This material is fire resistant and would also help dampen the sound. I've also seen many with more standard insulation.
    One box I saw at "learn more stuff: Generator Cabinet" used a large box fan. Many of the boxes I found in my research had a difficult time dealing with airflow, but this one seems like it would solve that problem. The ones that just use dryer vents and home heat vent grates seems like they wouldn't give the engine enough air.
    I want to dampen the sound, protect it, and reduce the chances of it gettin stolen at night, but I don't want to create a situation where I'm burning up the generator. What are your thoughts and experiences?
    post edited by Midnights - 2013/11/01 18:30:13
    TamaleTrolley
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 45
    Re:generator mounted on the front of a food truck VS the back bumper... 2013/12/23 03:44:45 (permalink)
    I went through holy hell over this. I've had mine (6500 watt diesel) mounted on the back bumper where it was noisy and smelly, moved it to a carefully built enclosure inside the cargo area where it was still noisy and constantly overheated no matter how much air I moved through there with fans.

Then I mounted it on the roof. Built a marquee to make it less visible, put nice graphics on the marquee. BEST THING I ever did for the truck. It's quiet, it doesn't stink, it doesn't even affect the handling of the truck as I had feared.

I have to use a ladder to add fuel which sucks, but soon I'll install a diesel tank aft of the gas tank under the floor.
    I will never go back. Give it some thought. 

[tried to upload images but I can not because I am only a junior pickleburger or whatever it is, sorry]
    post edited by TamaleTrolley - 2013/12/23 04:02:07
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1