Buckeyes, Hoosiers and Redbirds

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 60 of 120
wanderingjew
  • Total Posts : 7384
  • Reward points : 0
Buckeyes, Hoosiers and Redbirds - Sun, 09/11/11 8:38 PM
Just returned from my final big trip of the year this past Thursday evening.

Perhaps you might be able to tell where I've been from the title.

This will be broken out one segments per day for a total of 8 segments.

Thursday September 1

Flying out of TF Green in Rhode Island, I arrived in Pittsburgh later on that morning. I didn't stay in Pittsburgh though, I got my rental car and drove to in a Northwesterly direction. 

My first stop in the South Suburbs of Cleveland

Babushka's Kitchen 
in Northfield OH

Off the bat I knew this place was promising when I saw they won the Pierogi cook off..

After salivating over photos on the Roadfood review, I already knew what I wanted

The Warsaw- Roast Pork and gravy with sauerkraut and onions sandwiched between two potato pancakes with a scoop of sour cream on top. What I didn't know is that tiny dumplings were also included with this sandwich and what a sandwich it was! One choice of side is included, that's stuffed cabbage soup in the background, loaded with zesty cabbage, rice and meat more of a hearty stew than soup.  

Here's a better view of the soup.

You know you're starting a good road trip when your first meal is a home run.

After my stellar meal, I was compelled to come here

You got it- the Polka Hall of Fame, in Euclid OH....

It was a very interesting and informative museum

I always thought the Polka was of Polish derivation

any relation to "Weird Al"?

I had no idea that the Polka had it's golden years?

Or that there was a "Cleveland Style"?

I guess this is how they did it in the "old country"

I guess one of the prerequisites for Polka is that you have to grow an unusually large and thick mustache.

Of course you can't polka without an accordian!

It is a real shame that I'll be missing out on the Sausage Fest....but if you're in the area........

My next stop was downtown Cleveland.  After checking into my hotel, and walking through downtown towards the lake  I realized that Cleveland finally got it's  stamp of approval

With a sigh of relief I headed over to the The William Mather Steamship Museum

Docked in Lake Erie, this steam ship which was built in the 1920's was one the flagship freighters on the Great Lakes.  It was also one of the first to have radar...

Here are some select photos

Of course there is the engine room

Radar Equipment

While I was on the boat, I enjoyed great views of

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Museum by I.M. Pei

Cleveland Browns Stadium

and

The Great Lakes Science Center

After spending most of the afternoon on the boat, dinner time was fast approaching..

I had concerns about my dinner stop..

When rumours were floating around the internet that Freddie's Rib House was closed , I called them to double check and their phone was disconnected..

Visiting confirmed my worst fears

But never fear!

Freddie's Rib House 

Has a spiffy new location in suburban Lyndhurst (the one downtown closed  due to a fire)

Of course I came here for one reason

The Polish Boy...

Kielbasa in a sturday bun slathered in BBQ Sauce, topped with creamy slaw and fresh cut fries...
What surprised me was the size of the Kielbasa- I didn't realize it would be so thick, either way, the charred sausage snapped with each bite and retained it's juicyness...

What  a mess! It didn't take long for the roll to disintegrate....it was good, but a little overwhelming...

After dinner, I realized I was close to my favorite custard stand in the Cleveland area.

East Coast Original Frozen Custard

a small mini chain in the Cleveland metro area

The flavor of the day was 

Raspberry....

It was good, but my favorite still was Apple Cobbler I enjoyed on my last visit 3 years ago...

Heading back to my hotel downtown, I thought about heading to the Great Lakes Brew Pub in Ohio City but didn't feel like driving, I walked a few blocks over to this Irish Pub and they had Great Lakes on tap there....
After one or two, I headed back to my hotel and called it a night...

Much more to come..

<message edited by wanderingjew on Thu, 09/22/11 6:50 PM>

lleechef
  • Total Posts : 6227
Re:Buckeyes, Hoosiers and Redbirds - Sun, 09/11/11 9:19 PM
If that is only one segment, I'm afraid to read the next 7!  Another great report and I really am looking forward to the next ones.

ann peeples
  • Total Posts : 8317
Re:Buckeyes, Hoosiers and Redbirds - Sun, 09/11/11 9:26 PM
Great start, and am waiting with baited breath for more...

mar52
  • Total Posts : 7598
Re:Buckeyes, Hoosiers and Redbirds - Sun, 09/11/11 9:32 PM
I'd order that Warsaw in a heartbeat.  Maybe be my last, but....

As for the Polish Boy and have to order something else...

knife and fork.

Then I'd scrape everything off of it.

Did you eat the whole thing?

What did you wash it down with?

Great report as always.  Looking forward to more.

BuddyRoadhouse
  • Total Posts : 4074
Re:Buckeyes, Hoosiers and Redbirds - Sun, 09/11/11 10:26 PM
What, no Sokolowski's???  Okay, it's just the beginning, I'm sure you'll get there before leaving Cleveland.

My personal pick for a Polish Boy is Mt. Pleasant BBQ at 127th and Kinsman.  I've never been to Freddie's, and with the limited amount of time I have when I visit Cleveland, and my loyalties to Mt. Pleasant, it's not likely I'll get there any time soon.

I did manage to get into Babushka's last time I was in town and was very impressed.  I had the sampler plate and had enough for breakfast the next morning.  Although I was very happy with my choice, looking at your photo of that roast pork sandwich, I wish I would have gotten that.  Next time.

There's an amazing Polish restaurant here in Chicago called Smak Tak (literally translated as "Delicious Yes!") that serves a similar dish.  I'm trembling here, just thinking about it.  Next time you're headed through Our Town we'll need to make a stop there.

Nice report.  Looking forward to the rest.

Buddy
<message edited by BuddyRoadhouse on Mon, 09/12/11 12:57 AM>

mr chips
  • Total Posts : 4715
Re:Buckeyes, Hoosiers and Redbirds - Mon, 09/12/11 12:04 AM
Great start, dale.

leethebard
  • Total Posts : 6080
Re:Buckeyes, Hoosiers and Redbirds - Mon, 09/12/11 6:41 AM
What a great trip, so far....would love to try that stuffed cabbage soup...what a great idea for me to try....Looking forward to the continuation....

ChiTownDiner
  • Total Posts : 2631
Re:Buckeyes, Hoosiers and Redbirds - Mon, 09/12/11 7:30 AM
WJ -
You teasded me with photos all week long, but this is even better!
Great mix of food and fun!
Lovin your choices...compare the custard to Kopp's, my persoanl favorite. 
And...how were the perogies?

ScreamingChicken
  • Total Posts : 4722
Re:Buckeyes, Hoosiers and Redbirds - Mon, 09/12/11 9:39 AM
WJ, so that you'll be able to sleep at night:

EDIT: Frankie Yankovic is is not Weird Al's dad.  I don't know why I thought he was...

Great start!  How neat would it be if you could actually eat at the table aboard the museum?

Brad
<message edited by ScreamingChicken on Mon, 09/12/11 3:21 PM>

ann peeples
Re:Buckeyes, Hoosiers and Redbirds - Mon, 09/12/11 1:34 PM
Apparently weird Al and Frankie are no relation...but his parents chose the accordian for him BEACAUSE of their love for Frankie Yankovic.
<message edited by ann peeples on Mon, 09/12/11 1:42 PM>

ken8038
  • Total Posts : 1559
Re:Buckeyes, Hoosiers and Redbirds - Mon, 09/12/11 1:49 PM
(Frankie Yankovic is Weird Al's dad)

Actually, no. As far as Weird Al has been able to determine, they are not related at all.  In fact, both of Weird Al's parents died tragically due to carbon monoxide poisining several years ago.

Great report! Looking forward to the rest of it. Thanks.

rumaki
  • Total Posts : 967
Re:Buckeyes, Hoosiers and Redbirds - Mon, 09/12/11 2:12 PM
I was in Cleveland several years ago to give some lectures at Cleveland-Marshall College of Law.  They always arrange for their lecturers to have one "cultural" excursion, and apparently most people choose the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.  Not me.  The one thing I wanted to do was to visit the William G. Mather.  Even though the ship was closed at the time I was there (it is open to the public only on certain days and certain months of the year), the law school was able to arrange a private tour for me with my very own personal docent.

Great ship and a great ship museum! 

wanderingjew
Re:Buckeyes, Hoosiers and Redbirds - Mon, 09/12/11 6:35 PM
Mar

Believe it or not I ate the whole thing- save a few french fries- I believe I had a diet pepsi or diet coke with the sandwich
You can only imagine the odd looks I got from my coworkers here in RI when I told them I was looking forward to going to Cleveland and having a "polish boy"  - I told them they would probably get strange looks in Cleveland if they told them that they enjoyed "dough boys" back in RI! 

Buddy

Yes you're jumping ahead of yourself- stay tuned for the next chapter- As much as I love polish food I'm not certain I would scope it out in Chicago considering all the other great things to eat (I'm now waiting for Nancypalooza to comment and ask if I'm prejudiced against Polish people) 

Chi Town Diner

As much as you (and Buffetbuster) inspire me on these trips- there is no way I could have fit a Pierogi into that meal- however stay tuned for the next chapter

Screaming Brad

I'll let this glich squeak by- I thought you got all of your facts from the Cliff Claven book of trivia???

Rumaki

Touring the William Mather was certainly one of the non food highlights of the trip

wanderingjew
Re:Buckeyes, Hoosiers and Redbirds - Mon, 09/12/11 9:07 PM
Friday September 2

Going to one of my favorite coffee houses in the country, The Phoenix Coffee House, a local chain of about 5 in the Cleveland area is a great way to start the day- even better it was a block away from my downtown hotel.
Feeding the meter to allow me some time, I fed myself with a "fill in the blank" muffin- that and a great cuppa joe- I was a happy camper- Having only spent 5 bucks and change to park in downtown Cleveland (because I was touring the steamship the day before) priceless- ok- actually 5 bucks and change...

Feeling invigorated, I took the short drive over the Cuyahoga River into Ohio City to..

The West Side Market

This was my first visit- Similar to other urban markets such as the Reading Terminal Market in Philly or the Lexington Market in Baltimore, the market offers local purveyors selling their wears..

What threw me off were some of the items being hawked

Pepperoni Rolls?? !!!

Pasties??!!!

Kuchen?? !!!!

I thought I was in West Virginia, Michigan (and Sometimes Montana) and North Dakota all at once...
BTW - The Kuchen I had in North Dakota last year looks nothing like this!

However I think what really led me to the deep end was this!!!

Where am I????

and 

and

ahhh!!! now THAT'S more like it!

You can even find some oddities such as...

baby goat leg 

and

pretzel encrusted german mice

or

some good old fashioned produce...

either way....

spending time at the West Side Market was a great way to fill up the morning...

Since I had a busy agenda and some more driving to do. I had to hit one more place in Cleveland before I left
Of course how can anyone depart cleveland without a stop here?

Sokolowski's University Inn

Only about a mile or so from the Westside Market Place..

I arrived shortly before they opened and there was already a short line of people waiting to get in...

I first told Buddyroadhouse about this place several years back- I visited back in 2003 for the first time and it actually was included in my first trip report here on Roadfood

Service is cafeteria style- and since it's friday - I knew what was on their menu that day- and I've been waiting to try it since my last visit back in 2008 did not fall on a friday...

Hot and Crispy fried perch sided by some of the most luxurious pierogies I've ever enjoyed  along with some halushka (cabbage and noodles) I'm not certain if you can get more classically Cleveland than this...

Of course I had to top it off with some moist carrot cake..

After lunch, I was on the road again....
About 2 1/2 hours later I found myself in the center part of the state- Columbus OH to be exact...
Staying at the Downtown Hyatt (another great deal for $60 on priceline) I decided to splurge and pay the extra $13 for parking since I would be driving around alot and figured it would be tough to find a spot when the ballgame started that evening....

This was my first visit to Huntington Park- home of the Triple A Columbus Clippers- A relatively new and apparently a very popular park. Even though the game was still several hours away, since I was only about a half mile walk from the ballpark I thought it would be a good idea to walk over and get tickets now since it was the last series of the season- and I'm glad  I did because there weren't that many seats left .

After relaxing at the hotel a bit-  I decided to head here for an early dinner before the game begins..

The Gahanna Grill-

In beautiful, lovely downtown Gahanna OH- A suburb of Columbus...
I had a couple of Roadfood guests join me here too.....You'll all have to keep on guessing!

Of course I went with their famous Beanie Burger

Topped with Bacon, cheese, lettuce, tomato, grilled onions and homemade slaw- this was truly a solid respectable burger. Extra slaw was served on the side- my only grip is that the fries were not fresh cut...

After spending well over an hour chatting away it was time to head back to town...

These photos were actually taken before dinner when I walked over to buy my ticket...

I've been going to minor league ballgames now for 12 years. In these 12 years I guestimate that I've been to well over 50 minor league parks. Today was the first time in 12 years that I encountered certified  TICKET SCALPERS at a minor league baseball game . Let alone I was pissed off that my seats were not the greatest- but ticket scalpers ???!!

Entering the park- I could see why.....after my extremely disappointing experience at the new triple A park in Omaha- - 
I regained my faith in minor league parks...

This is what a triple A park should look like...

The ushers- were extremely strict about viewing tickets, so I was unable to change my seats at first

As you can see they were not the greatest...
After the fifth evening, I looked around and inconspicuously walked over closer to third base, sat down and was able to get a better view of the game...

The Clippers played and beat the Toledo Mudhens that evening...

I forgot the name of the clippers' Mascot but he looks alot like the Pittsburgh Parrot

What I also liked about Huntington Park is they didn't have any of those extremely cheesey in between inning games such as musical chairs etc- that seemed rampant at the new Omaha ballpark.
They did have some interesting musical entertainment thouigh

The bucket boys- out of Chicago - And you guessed it - they're playing "buckets"

Although Cooper Stadium was a classic, Huntington Park is certainly a respectable and suitable replacement..

After the game ended I had one last stop to make...

The Hey Hey Bar and Grill

Located in the German Village section about a couple of miles south of downtown. Although Buffetbuster texted me earlier and suggested Jeni's Ice Cream, unortunately I couldn't fit in both.

Judging from the sign- you probably guessed what they serve- and yes this is the only food item on the menu..

Sauerkraut Balls come  in two sizes- either 4 per serving or 10 per serving...

Filled with Sauerkraut, potato and onion, breaded, deep fried and served with horseradish on the side these are certainly home made- in fact the owner has a German Restaurant nearby as well, however it's not Schmidt's Sausage Haus.
The Sauerkraut balls were very addictive, I easily could have ordered 10, but I guess it's a good thing I didn't.

I had  a local brew from Barley's Brewing Company  as well..

After my late night snack I headed back downtown and called it a night..

much more to come...

<message edited by wanderingjew on Mon, 09/12/11 9:14 PM>

BuddyRoadhouse
Re:Buckeyes, Hoosiers and Redbirds - Mon, 09/12/11 9:11 PM
wj,
Given your proclivity for geographically and culturally indigenous foods, I'm amazed you wouldn't want Polish food in Chicago.  There are more Poles in the City of Chicago than in any other city in the world except Warsaw!  Without the influence of the Poles, the classic Chicago Style Hot Dog might not be served exactly the way it is today.

While I understand your passion for the local foods (Hot Dogs, Deep Dish Pizza, and Italian Beef in this instance), the real draw to Chicago dining is the almost infinite, international choices available to eaters in this city.  We have a remarkable range of Polish restaurants here and they are a vital and integral part of the Chicago dining scene.

Trust me, next time you're in town, Smak Tak is absolutely worth a trip.

Buddy
<message edited by BuddyRoadhouse on Mon, 09/12/11 9:20 PM>

wanderingjew
Re:Buckeyes, Hoosiers and Redbirds - Mon, 09/12/11 9:41 PM
BuddyRoadhouse

wj,
Given your proclivity for geographically and culturally indigenous foods, I'm amazed you wouldn't want Polish food in Chicago.  There are more Poles in the City of Chicago than in any other city in the world except Warsaw!  Without the influence of the Poles, the classic Chicago Style Hot Dog might not be served exactly the way it is today.

While I understand your passion for the local foods (Hot Dogs, Deep Dish Pizza, and Italian Beef in this instance), the real draw to Chicago dining is the almost infinite, international choices available to eaters in this city.  We have a remarkable range of Polish restaurants here and they are a vital and integral part of the Chicago dining scene.

Trust me, next time you're in town, Smak Tak is absolutely worth a trip.

Buddy

Buddy
Of course I agree that the ethnic Polish population was a great contributor  towards Chicago's indigenous foods, however you'll remember a similar argument I used to have with Davydd about Vietnamese and Hmong Cuisine in The Twin Cities (and thankfully silenced him forever on that issue when I randomly went into several local cafes and found "hotdish" on the menu. )
I guess I rely more on Pittsburgh and Cleveland for local Polish food, moreso than Chicago, and that's because I have my standby's and additionally  I'm still  constantly searching for another equally good or better deep dish pizza, hot dog or italian beef- Speaking of Polish- I will have to try a Maxwell St Polish the next time I'm in town.

BuddyRoadhouse
Re:Buckeyes, Hoosiers and Redbirds - Mon, 09/12/11 10:56 PM
I understand your position on indigenous foods (I don't necessarily agree with it, but I understand it).  The difference between Davydd's argument and mine is that the Twin Cities' Vietnamese and Hmong are newcomers to the area.  The Poles have been in Chicago for generations and helped shape this city and it's food scene.  The well known "street foods" are better known, but the Polish menu is just as important and indigenous to this town as the other stuff.

Pittsburgh and Cleveland?  Our Polish population kicks their Polish populations' dupa.

Buddy-ski

P.S. I also ordered the Beanie Burger on my one and only visit to Gahanna Grill.  I loved all of it except the cole slaw.  I thought the slaw on the burger made it near impossible to eat, and along with the bowl of slaw on the side, it was double overkill.  I hope to find myself back in Columbus someday for a return trip to the GG.  I'll order one of their less complex burgers when I get there.

B.
<message edited by BuddyRoadhouse on Tue, 09/13/11 2:07 AM>

mr chips
  • Total Posts : 4715
Re:Buckeyes, Hoosiers and Redbirds - Tue, 09/13/11 1:58 AM
Columbus' ballpark looks great. Enjoyed your photos of the west-side market. I wonder if your Columbus buddy was mr. hoffman.

lleechef
Re:Buckeyes, Hoosiers and Redbirds - Tue, 09/13/11 7:22 AM
As ususal, lovely photos and great trip report.  That burger looks good enough to eat!  Who were the two mysterious Roadfooders?

ScreamingChicken
  • Total Posts : 4722
Re:Buckeyes, Hoosiers and Redbirds - Tue, 09/13/11 8:32 AM
Huntington Park looks really nice.  Who's memorialized in bronze by the front gate?  Given that Ohio has produced more presidents than any other state I'm going to take a wild guess and say William McKinley even though the safer bet would be the park's namesake.

I'd take a plate of that perch any day!  Was the batter as thin and crisp as it looks?

I wonder how the Hey Hey Bar & Grill got its name.  "Hey hey!" was Jack Brickhouse's trademark exclamation when he was a Cubs broadcaster (I believe it's even emblazoned on one of the foul pole screens at Wrigley Field) but obviously you were a long way from Chicago.

I'd like to see the look on a 5-year-old's face when handed a German pretzel mouse and told to peek inside...

Brad

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17823
Re:Buckeyes, Hoosiers and Redbirds - Tue, 09/13/11 8:39 AM
The statue is of Harold Cooper. He was head of the International League, and the man who breathed life into Columbus AAA baseball, starting as a ball-boy for the old Columbus Redbirds in the '30s. A former Franklin County (Columbus' county) commissioner, the old ballpark was Cooper Stadium -- named for him.

By the way, the ballpark's "naming rights" were purchased by Huntington Bank. 
<message edited by Michael Hoffman on Tue, 09/13/11 8:41 AM>

wanderingjew
Re:Buckeyes, Hoosiers and Redbirds - Tue, 09/13/11 9:35 AM
Buddy

I completely agree with you, but as you know, my time when I travel is limited, and I can't visit places with the frequency    and/or  intensity  as other Roadfooders, so call it what you might- but it's a self imposed selection of where I may go or visit. If I'm ever in Chicago for a longer than usual stay (a week or more) then I would certainly check out that Polish Restaurant..

Oh and regarding The Beanie Burger- I'm going to revisit a recent "incident" here on Roadfood  where the shoe was on the other foot
"I like Coleslaw on Burgers- are you insinuating that I'm a second class citizen?-That's it- I'm done with you Buddyroadhouse!"

Mr Chips

Since there were no photos to prove it- the world may never know!

lleechef
That burger looks good enough to eat! 

Then you shouldn't have had the salad!

Brad

The perch was everything that fried perch is meant to be- another great place to enjoy perch in Cleveland is The Flat Iron Cafe- written up in Eat Your Way Across the USA back in the late 90's, unlike Sokolowski's its available on a daily basis- they too have pierogis on the menu as well

Regarding the Hey Hey Bar and grill, I'm not certain how the bar got their name but there  an interesting article about the friendly rivalry between them and Schmidt's Sausage Haus
http://www.thisweeknews.com/live/content/food/stories/2010/03/03/saurkraut-balls.html

I actually thought about heading to Schmidt's afterwards since they don't close till 11PM on the weekend to compare- but I didn't want to over do it.

ChiTownDiner
  • Total Posts : 2631
Re:Buckeyes, Hoosiers and Redbirds - Tue, 09/13/11 11:19 AM
Were you dieting at University Inn...might small plate...

Mystery guests - more than likely Carolina Bob and a good friend...am I right?  Is there a prize?

Michael Hoffman
Re:Buckeyes, Hoosiers and Redbirds - Tue, 09/13/11 11:23 AM
Salad? She had salad? What could she have been thinking?

buffetbuster
  • Total Posts : 9785
Re:Buckeyes, Hoosiers and Redbirds - Tue, 09/13/11 12:05 PM
lleechef

Who were the two mysterious Roadfooders?

I don't know, but I bet they were good company!

CajunKing
  • Total Posts : 6317
Re:Buckeyes, Hoosiers and Redbirds - Tue, 09/13/11 1:32 PM
WJ
You first legs of your trip sounded and looked wonderful.  When I had doctor's appts at the Cleveland Clinic I loved enjoying the local scenery and the diversity of the food.

Freddie's Rib House was a favorite, sorry to hear about the fire but good to know they are still around.

I love the German Mice Pretzel, but doesnt the mouse inside make the pretzel soggy??

Looks great so far, even with your mystery guests who shall remain nameless.

Looking forward to more.

BuddyRoadhouse
Re:Buckeyes, Hoosiers and Redbirds - Tue, 09/13/11 2:18 PM
wanderingjew

Oh and regarding The Beanie Burger- I'm going to revisit a recent "incident" here on Roadfood  where the shoe was on the other foot
"I like Coleslaw on Burgers- are you insinuating that I'm a second class citizen?-That's it- I'm done with you Buddyroadhouse!"

Hmm, must've missed that thread.  Not sorry I did, though.

Saving a place for you at the Smak Tak table,
Buddy

wanderingjew
Re:Buckeyes, Hoosiers and Redbirds - Tue, 09/13/11 6:14 PM
Chi Town Diner

And that's why you're the first that came to mind when I used the word "intensity" to describe other roadfooders in my prior comment to Buddy.

Regarding your guess on the mystery roadfooders- 

Michael

I guess someone's gonna to have to straighten her out and put her on the right path.

CK

I guess it depends on how long it's been molting ! 

Buddy

Here's  what you missed

<message edited by wanderingjew on Wed, 09/14/11 7:42 AM>

lleechef
Re:Buckeyes, Hoosiers and Redbirds - Tue, 09/13/11 7:02 PM
What's wrong with a salad?  I still want to know who ate the Beenie Burger and who the two mysterious Roadfooders were.

Michael Hoffman
Re:Buckeyes, Hoosiers and Redbirds - Tue, 09/13/11 7:12 PM
"(S)traighten her out and put her on the right path."?

Not me! There's no way I'm going to try anything like that. I hear she has a mean left hook.

BuddyRoadhouse
Re:Buckeyes, Hoosiers and Redbirds - Tue, 09/13/11 8:12 PM
Based on the conversation here, and on his willingness to travel great distances for good Roadfood and good Roadfood company, I'm going to guess wanderingjew's two dining companions were buffetbuster and lleechef.

Gold star?

Buddy

wanderingjew
Re:Buckeyes, Hoosiers and Redbirds - Tue, 09/13/11 8:31 PM
BuddyRoadhouse

Based on the conversation here, and on his willingness to travel great distances for good Roadfood and good Roadfood company, I'm going to guess wanderingjew's two dining companions were buffetbuster and lleechef.

Gold star?

Buddy

Buddy.....

As much as it would have been great to have Buffetbuster with us that evening, you'll notice that I had previously written that Buffetbuster texted me and suggested I check out Jeni's Ice Cream, if he was present, there would have been no need to text me and he could have suggested it in person..

I can neither confirm nor deny that lleechef was present at the Gahanna Grill...

Now to answer lleehef's question...

Ok, I'll give a hint, one person had a salad and the other person cannot be verified to lack of photographic evidence 

TJ Jackson
  • Total Posts : 4482
Re:Buckeyes, Hoosiers and Redbirds - Tue, 09/13/11 8:41 PM
I am gonna go with MH plus either Russ Jackson or Hatteras

You should have run over the New Haven before your flight and brought the old dude an apizza....maybe not with clams though

ann peeples
Re:Buckeyes, Hoosiers and Redbirds - Tue, 09/13/11 9:15 PM
Well, I am going to venture a guess and say Mr. Hoffman and llechef. Just a guess mind you.

wanderingjew
Re:Buckeyes, Hoosiers and Redbirds - Tue, 09/13/11 9:34 PM
Saturday September 3

I was on the road again this morning, but not before a stop at another tried and true coffee house in Columbus- Cup o' Joe- another local mini chain- the short north location was just a short 1/2 mile walk from my hotel- and yes Cup O' Joe serves a mighty fine cuppa joe.

After nearly a three hour drive I finally made it!  ......I reached nirvana...

Nick's Kitchen,

which according to our expert Davydd is the pantheon of breaded pork tenderloins

Inside it looks like your typical midwestern small town cafe. But can a place so  unassuming hold a key to the holy grail of Breaded Pork Tenderloins ?

If the key is in JeanAnne's hands then yes it can 

JeanneAnne as many of you  know is the proprietor of Nicks' Kitchen

and I can assure you that once this plate landed in front of me, this Breaded Pork Tenderloin was everything that Davydd said it was and everything it lived up to be. A crisp lightly breaded exterior and a juicy flavorful exterior. Not sure if others will agree with me but it seems that the Hoosier way to order the BPT is with lettuce tomato and mayo- so that's how I went with it.

And to complete my meal

A sliceoof JeanAnne's fine home made sugar cream. This is the first time I've ever had sugar cream pie- and it certainly created a lasting impression.

JeanAnne and I chatted a bit and we talked about other roadfooders who visited including Buffetbuster, Davydd (of course) and Cajun King, as well as the big cheese himself, Michael Stern.

I would be surprised if Nick's Kitchen did not find a spot on my top 10 list for 2011.

Heading south from there my destination was Indianapolis, aka Naptown, India- no- place or Brickhouse in the Cornfield. 20 years ago I would have agreed with this assermation, however it's naptown no longer, downtown Indy is alive and hopping. Stopping by my downtown hotel, the Marriot Courtyard  just to check in(for a mere $45 on priceline) I knew I would need to pay for parking later that day but certainly not the $23 per day in their lot...

After checking in I was on the road again for another 55 mile drive to..

Pat's Gnawbone Sorghum Mill

in yes....you've guessed it- Gnawbone IN....

Lots of interesting stuff to check out- I spent probably a good hour hear just checking out all the cool stuff..

Keep in mind this is Persimmon Country so you'll find

persimmon fudge

persimmon preserves....

however.....I came here for one thing and one thing only...

Persimmon Pudding....

More of a moist cake than a pudding.....It seems very similar to something I've had before but honestly I've tried and tried and can't quite place it- it was actually pretty good.....

Heading to my dinner stop, I went through scenic Nashville IN, it would have been nice to stop there if I had time...
But I had to get back to Indianapolis in time for my ballgame... but not before a re-visit to...

Gray Bros Cafeteria 

in Mooresville

The line was not really as bad as I was expecting.....
And I knew what I wanted however I had difficulty deciding what kind of pie I wanted.....So as the old saying goes...
WWBBD?

Order two slices of pie of course!

The Fried Chicken was exquisite- meaty with a light crisp exterior

The porky green beans were limp but quite flavorful

And although I was hoping for scalloped potatoes like I had last time, they werent available, however aftera  bite of the fried potatoes as well as the bean salad, all feelings of disappointment went away...

Now for  the pies...

The banana cream still ranks as my favorite 

and 

the raisin pie is no slouch either

Now as you know I can't eat two slices of pie at once- I only had half of each, now since I don't want a certain Pittsburgher to Jump off the Fort Pitt Bridge, we'll keep it a secret as to what really happened to the other pie slice halves....

Heading back to Indy between the ballgame, a  football game at Lucas Oil Stadium and The RibFest I knew there was no way in hell I would find street parking and didn't even bother to look.  I did find a $10 24 hour hour parking lot just a couple of blocks away from my hotel, which was actually just across the street from

Victory Field
Home of the triple A Indianapolis Indians
I did the right thing by calling the day before and reserving a ticket- considering that this was the last game of the season on labor day weekend- it was a sellout..

Victory Field is another fine example of a solid triple A park.
By the time I arrived in Indy- temps were averaging at or close to 100 degrees and it was humid...
Something had to give...
Of course about 1/2 hour before the game began, there was a massive thunderstorm. It passed quickly and the starting time was delayed by a half hour....

The Indians played the Louisville Bats for the final series and won this game- I don't remember the score..

But then again I'm trying to figure out what the mascot is- it looks like it could be an escapee from the German Pretzel Mice Factory at the Westside Market back in Cleveland...

After the game, they had a nice display of fireworks- afterwards I walked back to my hotel and called it a night...

more to come...

<message edited by wanderingjew on Tue, 09/13/11 10:04 PM>

wanderingjew
Re:Buckeyes, Hoosiers and Redbirds - Tue, 09/13/11 9:46 PM
ann peeples

Well, I am going to venture a guess and say Mr. Hoffman and llechef. Just a guess mind you.

And ann peeples

for guessing correctly.....you win.....

this!

wanderingjew
Re:Buckeyes, Hoosiers and Redbirds - Wed, 09/14/11 6:45 AM
BUMP

tcrouzer
  • Total Posts : 430
Re:Buckeyes, Hoosiers and Redbirds - Wed, 09/14/11 7:10 AM
Thanks for this great report, Dale! You have certainly got this trip report thing down to a fine art! Cafeterias everywhere could learn a thing or two from Gray Bros.! I'm looking forward to the other installments in this latest trip saga.

Teresa

cavandre
  • Total Posts : 1597
Re:Buckeyes, Hoosiers and Redbirds - Wed, 09/14/11 7:46 AM
While at the West Side Market, did you try any of Czurhraj's jerky?

wanderingjew
Re:Buckeyes, Hoosiers and Redbirds - Wed, 09/14/11 8:51 AM
tcrouzer

I completely agree. I was going to go to Jonathan Byrd's the following day but didn't because I was told if you hit both in one trip, then nothing can stand up to Gray Bros
Because it was labor day weekend I had to do alot of shuffling since many places were closed (some anticipated and one unexpected) but we'll get into that in the next couple of segments...

cavandre,

The only thing I had at the West Side Market was an iced coffee.  As you've probably seen I'm not a big guy (just tall) and can't quite pack in as much as others. I probably could have spent all day eating at the West Side Market if I didn't eat anywhere else, however as much as it was tempting, if I gave in, I probably would have had to forego lunch at Sokolowski's

Davydd
  • Total Posts : 6222
Re:Buckeyes, Hoosiers and Redbirds - Wed, 09/14/11 9:40 AM
wanderingjew

Buddy
Of course I agree that the ethnic Polish population was a great contributor  towards Chicago's indigenous foods, however you'll remember a similar argument I used to have with Davydd about Vietnamese and Hmong Cuisine in The Twin Cities (and thankfully silenced him forever on that issue when I randomly went into several local cafes and found "hotdish" on the menu. )

WJ,

You can believe you randomly went into several local cafes to find "hotdish" but I suspect you did a lot of internet searching to find them. But if that is what gets your rocks off about Minnesota regional foods you are welcome to that bland church supper fare often parodied by Garrison Kiellor in Prairie Home Companion. You really don't get it. I love your reports but at the same time I thought you drove past some of the better offerings in seeking out your pre-conceived hunts.

Davydd
Re:Buckeyes, Hoosiers and Redbirds - Wed, 09/14/11 10:06 AM
WJ,

On the other hand, great report on Indiana. Maybe I am softer on you there because you seek out what I knew 50 years ago. Gray Bros. Cafeteria is a vestige of what used to be common place in just about every Hoosier town before there were chain restaurants and fast food. In my first job with an architectural firm in 1962 lunch was at a different cafeteria every day. We had a circuit reachable from the office just north of Butler University. As I remember I could eat for about $1.05. My take home pay was just over $32 per week.

I used to watch the Indianapolis Indians at the old Victory Field that was on 16th Street in the days of Rocky Colavito and Herb Score. That dates me. I haven't been to the new park.

Nashville is the local version to Brown County State Park as Gatlingburg is to Smokey Mountain National Park. People stream down to Brown County to shop and especially enjoy the fall colors of Brown County. Outside of Vermont it is one of my favorite fall color spots.

In Gnaw Bone did you see or stop at the old Gnaw Bone Food & Fuel? I understand it re-opened this year and is serving their breaded pork tenderloin sandwich again. They broasted theirs. It garnered fame because it was a politician opportunity stop and got featured on national TV. And, of course, the unique name.

buffetbuster
Re:Buckeyes, Hoosiers and Redbirds - Wed, 09/14/11 10:10 AM
A two pie lunch at Gray Brothers?  I tip my hat to you, even if you only ate half of each one.  Gray Brothers is one of the all-time Roadfood greats IMHO.  Now that I think about it, I don't believe I have ever tried their banana cream pie.

So glad you got to meet JeanAnne and visit Nick's Kitchen, another fantastic place.  That BPT and sugar cream pie look amazing!

By the way, my favorite place at West Side Market is Frank's Bratwurst.

wanderingjew
Re:Buckeyes, Hoosiers and Redbirds - Wed, 09/14/11 10:15 AM
Davydd

wanderingjew

Buddy

WJ,

You can believe you randomly went into several local cafes to find "hotdish" but I suspect you did a lot of internet searching to find them. But if that is what gets your rocks off about Minnesota regional foods you are welcome to that bland church supper fare often parodied by Garrison Kiellor in Prairie Home Companion. You really don't get it. I love your reports but at the same time I thought you drove past some of the better offerings in seeking out your pre-conceived hunts.

It's all a matter of opinion
-I  went to three places that served hotdish- only one I researched in advance and that was the place that had chicken wild rice hotdish. I went to Bev's Cafe in Red Wing because I visited before and really enjoyed my meal there and I went to another restaurant in Bemidji because it was recommended by the visitors center when I happened to walk in asking for a place for lunch.  I like HotDish- I thought it was delicious and I would have it again if I ever returned to the Twin Cities- same for Scandinavian food. There may be places that YOU find more interesting, but I don't and have no desire to go to.  Ironically over the summer, I was told very few cafes serve hotdish, however I was told by all the locals that it's actually quite easy to find during the winter months
Incidentally when I did do some research, I did find an interesting interreaction between you and another poster on chowhound- apparently there are locals who feel otherwise
http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/604322
-There are many people here   that think that Jewish Deli is still as  popular as ever in NYC with local young jewish families frequenting them on a daily basis- as a born and bred through and through New Yorker I can tell you that can't be further from the truth  - the few that are left  (out of Hundreds that used to be in Manhattan alone "decades ago") are basically museums that cater to tourists, however the first suggestion here on Roadfood for anyone looking for "local regional food" in NYC is a Jewish Deli. If anyone is looking for contemporary regional cuisine in NYC- the last thing I would recommend is a Jewish Deli
-there are others who will recommend loosemeat joints for Iowa- in my roadfood experiences, I can think of very few things that tasted so bland and uninteresting, and frankly I think that anyone who would chose a loosemeats over a classically regional thick Iowa Chop is completely out of their minds-
-now that's it  besides Buddyroadhouse I'm done with you too Davydd - can someone now pass me a pitcher of BUDWEISER please?

<message edited by wanderingjew on Wed, 09/14/11 10:19 AM>

rumaki
  • Total Posts : 967
Re:Buckeyes, Hoosiers and Redbirds - Wed, 09/14/11 12:48 PM
WJ -- You said the sugar cream pie created a "lasting impression."  Was it a favorable one?

I love sugar cream pie.  I grew up in Indianapolis, and the late lamented Laughner's cafeteria chain produced excellent sugar cream pie, which I had almost every time my family went  there for dinner -- except that occasionally I'd have fresh strawberry pie, instead.   The fresh strawberry pie at  Gray Bros. is very good, but I don't think it is quite as good as Laughner's was. 

In Kentucky, I've noticed (and enjoyed) a variant of sugar cream pie -- BROWN sugar cream pie.  The best I've found is at Science Hill Inn in Shelbyville, KY.  It's always served warm there, and is luscious.

TJ Jackson
Re:Buckeyes, Hoosiers and Redbirds - Wed, 09/14/11 2:07 PM
Lisa traveled all the way from Anchorage Alaska to have a Beanie Burger?

Thats it!   I have got to have me one of these burgers.......

BuddyRoadhouse
Re:Buckeyes, Hoosiers and Redbirds - Wed, 09/14/11 2:44 PM
Trust me TJ, while the burgers themselves at Gahanna Grill are excellent, the Beanie Burger incarnation is an over the top gimmick.  It's construction is similar to other burgers on the menu, with the sloppy addition of cole slaw on top.  It's a mess to eat, and actually detracts, IMHO, from any enjoyment of the experience you might have had otherwise.

This is not some anti-slaw-on-a-sandwich rant.   I enjoy a good scoop of the stuff on a Southern style pulled pork sandwich.  But the Beanie Burger is already piled high with extra ingredients.  The slaw just makes it all slide around unnecessarily.

Plus there's the extra dish of slaw on the side.  Really, does anyone love cole slaw that much?

Buddy

mar52
Re:Buckeyes, Hoosiers and Redbirds - Wed, 09/14/11 4:05 PM
Wow!  I didn't know there were so many things I haven't eaten or tried or even knew about.  (Some I have)

Pat's Gnawbone Sorghum Mill is the type of place I'd pull over for.  I love that type of place.

Banana cream pie with a meringue topping?  Unheard of!

I still can't understand any facination with raisin pie.

Keep 'em coming!

wanderingjew
Re:Buckeyes, Hoosiers and Redbirds - Wed, 09/14/11 6:33 PM
Davydd

Wow- 1962??? That was before I was even born Sorry I had to add that in there..
For some reason I thought Gnawbone Food and Fuel and "Pat's Gnawbone Sorghum Mill were one and the same- I thought Food and Fuel closed and re-opened as the Sorghum Mill .  I guess I was wrong. Either way, I would have had no room left for another BPT.

Buffetbuster, 

I'm just relieved that I didn't have to console you for only having half a slice of pie...
I thought you had banana cream pie at Gray's? I am absolutely shocked.....SHOCKED...I tell you that there is a slice of pie that you HAVEN'T had???!!! 

Rumaki

By all means, the Sugar Cream Pie left a very favorable lasting impression hence noting that Nick's Kitchen will without any uncertainty earn a top 10 award at the end of the year.

No, TJ

Lisa came all the way to the Gahanna Grill from  Anchorage Alaska for SALAD.....

Buddy

If you keep insulting the cole slaw- then I'm really done with you! 

Mar

I like RAISIN PIE
Are you suggesting that I'm a second class citizen?  - pass the BUDWEISER again please- I'm getting thirsty.

mar52
Re:Buckeyes, Hoosiers and Redbirds - Wed, 09/14/11 6:55 PM

Davydd
Re:Buckeyes, Hoosiers and Redbirds - Wed, 09/14/11 7:15 PM
mar52,

There is a big difference between raisin pie and sour cream raisin pie. They are nothing alike.

wanderingjew
Re:Buckeyes, Hoosiers and Redbirds - Wed, 09/14/11 8:19 PM
Sunday September 4

What a dismal day-  weather wise the worst of the trip-damp, muggy, dreary, on and off rain, at least it was cooler  than it had been the last few days...

I started my day with a walk to an old Stand By- Mo Joe's Coffee House in downtown Indianapolis- their java was ok- but not as good as I remembered in the past. I was glad they were open...

I had no idea where I was going for lunch- My plans initially prior to taking this trip was to check out John's Famous Stew Saturday for an early Dinner  and then go to Gray's Cafeteria on Sunday for lunch, however when I found out that John's would be closed for labor day weekend, I had to do a switcheroo which left no plans for lunch on Sunday. A call from Travelin Man complicated things further, I first thought about going to Jonathan Byrds but he mentioned that Buffetbuster said that a visit to Gray's and Jonathan Byrd's on the same trip might make Jonathan Byrd's disappointing. Travelin Man suggested Plump's Last Shot- but they were closed. He also recommended King's BBQ and Shapiro's. I seriously considered King's BBQ. However when I got off the phone,  I thought that since my plans were to head to Shelbyville for the afternoon to a museum, it would make sense to do some research and try a real hoosier "small town" southern Indiana Cafe. Well..... it turns out most are closed on Sundays the day before labor day.. There was one place I really wanted to check out...Bev's Country Diner - "almost famous" for their pan fried chicken and pies- Well I was planning on pan fried chicken for dinner- but their pie's caught my attention- I called them- closed......Another place seemed promising....I called and they were open...

Shirley's Chapparal Cafe
in Shelbyville

Since 1968- as the sign says- and Shirley still prepares the meals..
I arrived and the place was exactly as I expected...

Empty- actually- not exactly- I took the photo after lunch- at 2pm this is "well after" noon lunch hour here in Southern Indiana...

They have a buffet on Sundays- 
Or you can order off the menu- They did have the classic midwestern salad bar- so  I hesitated but went with the buffet..

The tomatoey vegetable soup was fine but nothing out of the ordinary..

From the salad bar- I actually thought that was corn bread on the right- it was actually lemon cake- good but it through me off when I was expecting corn bread. Again- fine but nothing out of the ordinary..

Salisbury Steak and Fried Chicken- both obviously homemade- I actually liked the fried chicken- I actually ended up going for seconds and got a thigh- it had a nice crunchy exterior. The green beans had bacon it, the salisbury steak again was fine but nothing out of the ordinary, I'm not convinced that the mashed potatoes were homemade- I don't think they were...

And for dessert

German Chocolate cake and a very rich and moist chocolate bundt cake...

Overall a decent meal- but it didn't blow me away. I would like to see what their specials are during the week, or ven better,  visit Bev's Country Diner instead when they're open...

Afterwards my plans were to visit the Grover Museum here in Shelbyville

WRONG!!!!- They were closed- looks like Triple A lied again...

I ended up consoling myself by  going here 

For some local homemade ice cream- the lady at the counter told me the ice cream was made there and butter pecan is a favorite- she was right- it was creamy and full of pecans- unfortunately I forgot to take my camera out of the car- so unfortunately no photos...

What do do??? I still have a couple of hours to kill before dinner..
After checking my GPS for tourist attractions and making a couple of calls- I ended up at...

The Decatur County Historical Society in Greensburgh...

Sure it's a  historic museum with the typical stuff...

But that's not why I came here...

The museum houses a great display on the famous world war II women's baseball league made famous in the 1992 movie, A League of Our Own..

Here are some of the team uniforms

and a map with some of the team names...

Now you're all probably wondering why a museum in Decatur County would have such an exhibit?- well Janet Rumsey a native of Decatur county was one of the star pitchers on one of the teams....This exhibit was a nice unexpected surprise.

As I left the museum- I had to take a photo of the Decatur County Court house...

Ummm.....I believe there's a tree stuck in the clock tower....

I drove the back way to my dinner destination....

The Kopper Kettle

in Morristown IN.
I arrived a few minutes after 5pm and Cajun King was there waiting for me...
The hostess approached us and seated us- the atmosphere was quite retro- I loved it!

Now this place screams ROADFOOD

Enough of the decor, though, let's get to the food....

Dinner which is served "family style"

begins with a salad- I believe the waitress said the thousand island was homemade- I'm not sure...

I then moved on to some chicken noodle soup

Green beans and real mashed potatoes along with some cream gravy arrived shortly afterwards...

along with some warm dinner rollls

and some corn wich Cajun King already took a scoop of before I could grab a photo....

However the star of the meal was of course

The fried chicken- a nice thin but crunchy exterior coating that was actually nicely spiced and the chicken itself was actually quite juicy- not dry at all..

I'd easily put this in the same league as Hollyhock Hill

We skipped the sundaes for dessert and went with the sugar cream pie..

It's amazing how something so simple could be so good, but honestly I think it was just a slight notch below the pie I had at Nicks's Kitchen the day before...
Either way- The Kopper Kettle is another winner....

Afterwards the waitress (who told me I look like the guy from Weeds- I've never watched weeds so I don't know who she's talking about) suggested we check out the garden out back- 

The decor out back was somewhat reminiscent of Lynn's Paradise Cafe in Louisville

Here are two ladies enjoying there meal "al fresco"

And there's Cajun King who fits in nicely with the surrounding decor...

It was good to see Cajun King we hadn't seen each other in over 3 and a half years- I believe the last time we saw eachother was at Killer Seafood in Mexico Beach Florida back during the presidential day weekend glee club event on the way to Mobile AL back in 2008. 

I was surprised that the drive back to downtown Indy was only 25 miles- it seemed like I was so far out in the country when I was at the Kopper Kettle.
I did end up finding street parking a few blocks away from my hotel. I ended up going to the Slippery Noodle Inn- the oldest bar in Indy for a night cap- they had free live blues that evening and I ended up enjoying a local brew.
Afterwards I walked back to my hotel and called it a night...

more to come...

<message edited by wanderingjew on Wed, 09/14/11 9:08 PM>

TJ Jackson
Re:Buckeyes, Hoosiers and Redbirds - Wed, 09/14/11 9:20 PM
wanderingjew

No, TJ

Lisa came all the way to the Gahanna Grill from  Anchorage Alaska for SALAD.....

That must be the best salad in the whole damn universe, then

After I post this, I am hopping in the car and heading up I-71 for that salad

TJ Jackson
Re:Buckeyes, Hoosiers and Redbirds - Wed, 09/14/11 9:26 PM
wanderingjew

I look like the guy from Weeds- I've never watched weeds so I don't know who she's talking about

That'd be

Kevin Nealon
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005265/

lleechef
Re:Buckeyes, Hoosiers and Redbirds - Wed, 09/14/11 10:06 PM
Well, after all, it was just a salad.  I was hamburgered out, especially after you've had a green chile cheeseburger at Bobcat Bite in NM.  Sharing a meal with Dale was a real treat.  Ann peeples wins the prize about the mystery guests.  She wins a Beenie burger at the Gahanna Grill.

buffetbuster
Re:Buckeyes, Hoosiers and Redbirds - Wed, 09/14/11 10:26 PM
.....with extra cole slaw!

TJ Jackson
Re:Buckeyes, Hoosiers and Redbirds - Wed, 09/14/11 10:51 PM
lleechef

Well, after all, it was just a salad.

Couldn't be, since you traveled all the way from Anchorage to eat it........

BuddyRoadhouse
Re:Buckeyes, Hoosiers and Redbirds - Thu, 09/15/11 2:06 AM
I know this dead horse has been sufficiently whipped, but let me just clarify for the record; I have no problem with cole slaw.  I have no problem with cole slaw on a sandwich.  I have no problem with people who like cole slaw on a sandwich.  I just think cole slaw on that particular burger, The Beanie Burger, is pointless overkill.  Especially when there is an additional bowl of cole slaw served on the side.  And I happen to know that Gahanna's most prominent citizen, although we may disagree with each other on many other issues, agrees with me on this point.

Buddy

billyboy
  • Total Posts : 2363
Re:Buckeyes, Hoosiers and Redbirds - Thu, 09/15/11 2:29 AM
Dale, fantastic report, man!  Just fantastic.  Loving the BPTs and the fried chicken.  Just drooled a bit over Gray Bros.  Thanks!  I'm wondering if the persimmon pudding reminded you of sticky toffee pudding?  So great that you were able to see JeanAnne and chow down on some Hoosier classics!  I totally see the Kevin Nealon resemblance.  He used to do the Weekend Update on Saturday Night Live.  Keep 'em coming!

CK, good to see you on the road!  Glad you could break bread with WJ!

ann peeples
Re:Buckeyes, Hoosiers and Redbirds - Thu, 09/15/11 3:23 AM
I accept my prizes graciously, thank you!!!

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 60 of 120