Window fix

Junior Burger
2011/09/19 16:11:35
I have a food truck that I installed a concession window that has a pull open awning that is attached by a hinge.  When my awning is up and if it happens to rain, the rain drips onto my serving shelf.  I am wanting to rig something up that would cover the hinge when it is opened and closed. 
I was thinking of running a piece of material(vinyl) or something like that and rivet it above and below the hinge so it will channel the water to either side of the window.
Anyone have this problem and how did you handle it.
Thanks.
B.
roadkillgrill
Cheeseburger
Re:Window fix 2011/09/19 17:47:33
Yes vinyl is what we used, but use 3m double face tape. That will give you as water tight seal. Just make sure the surfaces are completely clean.
THE WILD DOG
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Window fix 2011/09/19 23:33:21
or take a piece of aluminum angle iron ( silver ) that you can get at home depot and such, rivit it above the window and it will act like a gutter and the water will go to either side and run off that way. I have one above my window and my door.
Barry Digman
Cheeseburger
Re:Window fix 2011/09/20 00:14:51

Here's what mine has. I honestly can't tell ya whether they work or not since we don't get enough rain to find out.

post edited by Barry Digman - 2011/09/20 09:51:54
Pablo73
Junior Burger
Re:Window fix 2011/09/20 12:03:09
You might want to look at shoprvparts . com and look up drip caps in their search.. there reasonably priced and look good... 
post edited by Pablo73 - 2011/09/20 12:05:51
BackAlleyBurger
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Window fix 2011/09/20 18:36:23
barry, 
i dont think your work....
if you look at the pic you see that the awning is higher out at the edge the it is at the hinges, so all the rain that collects on the awning itself will run down strait to the hinges
Barry Digman
Cheeseburger
Re:Window fix 2011/09/20 19:51:02
BackAlleyBurger
barry, 
i dont think your work....
if you look at the pic you see that the awning is higher out at the edge the it is at the hinges, so all the rain that collects on the awning itself will run down strait to the hinges

Yeah, I'm gonna have to pull it somewhere that has rain to find out for sure. I think I can do something with the lifts to bring the angle down if I need to.

Kokomo_Sno
Junior Burger
Re:Window fix 2012/11/22 16:30:21
Or just toss a hose and sprinkler on the roof and see what it does.

Would seem to me if you reversed what you have, and put a bead of sealant and reattached it, it would channel water away. 

Or as you said, you hardly get rain so it's not much of an issue.

I landed here trying to find ideas for a serve window. :)
RodBangkok
Cheeseburger
Re:Window fix 2012/11/22 18:08:09
Look into something like one of these:
http://www.yellowdogextrusion.com/extmold01.htm

I would not recommend doing it as pictured.