Jucy Lucy condiments?

ScreamingChicken
  • Total Posts : 4710
  • Reward points : 0
Jucy Lucy condiments? - Tue, 09/27/11 9:23 AM
Is there a specific condiment or topping that's traditional/popular/common for a Jucy Lucy?  Or is it like other burgers in that anything goes?  I was asked this question and don't know the answer, although I personally would add nothing but mustard.

Brad

wanderingjew
  • Total Posts : 7379
Re:Jucy Lucy condiments? - Tue, 09/27/11 9:32 AM
Nothing that I'm aware of that's any different from a regular cheeseburger..

Frankly I'm still scratching my head about what makes the "Juicy Lucy" so unique or special-  it's a good stuffed cheeseburger that you can get just about anywhere- the only difference is that a name was coined for it in the Twin Cities
<message edited by wanderingjew on Tue, 09/27/11 10:06 AM>

kaszeta
  • Total Posts : 655
Re:Jucy Lucy condiments? - Tue, 09/27/11 9:56 AM
The only condiments I've seen on my many trips to Matt's Bar were onions (either fried or raw), mustard, and ketchup.

Jim2903
  • Total Posts : 232
Re:Jucy Lucy condiments? - Tue, 09/27/11 11:52 AM
Had my first Juicy Lucy earlier this year, at the 5-8 Club in Minneapolis. I have to say it was one of the best burgers I've ever eaten. Pickle and onion were sufficient toppers -- I saw no reason to cloak the fine beef flavor with ketchup or mustard.

ann peeples
  • Total Posts : 8317
Re:Jucy Lucy condiments? - Tue, 09/27/11 1:14 PM
My Mom was making "Jucy Lucy's" in the 70's. She stuffed burgers with cheese AND onion. I personally never ate it with a bun( too big for my little mouth), used a knife and fork, dipped each piece in ketchup and mustard. However, am quite anxious to try one if ever in the twin cities!

BuddyRoadhouse
  • Total Posts : 4074
Re:Jucy Lucy condiments? - Tue, 09/27/11 1:45 PM
I've made the "cycle"; Matt's, 5-8 Club, and The Nook, and I've always used the standard Burger condiments: ketchup, mustard, pickle and onion.  Don't remember if tomato was involved, but it certainly wasn't needed and wouldn't be missed if it wasn't there.  Lettuce is totally unnecessary.

Buddy