Five Guys "haters" - check this out

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Filet Mignon
Re:Five Guys "haters" - check this out 2011/10/09 18:36:19
I gave Five Guys a second chance this week and was very happy with my burger and fries.  I am no longer a HATER.
jrp
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:Five Guys "haters" - check this out 2011/10/09 19:06:16
JRPfeff

I gave Five Guys a second chance this week and was very happy with my burger and fries.  I am no longer a HATER.
jrp

Te absolve.
Pax vobiscum.
ChrisOC
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Five Guys "haters" - check this out 2011/10/09 19:38:02
It looks like friendly service is a big factor in rating these outlets.  Like the friendly server at McD who responded to my order of a quarter pounder and a milkshake with a friendly "Do you want anything to drink with that?"
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
Re:Five Guys "haters" - check this out 2011/10/09 20:13:27
Five Guys is a  smelly loud  madhouse. Never stayed long enough to taste their overdone burger. I hate the Yankees
(baseball) but I merely disdain Five Guys.

Cheers, John  
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
Re:Five Guys "haters" - check this out 2011/10/10 06:50:17
seafarer john

Five Guys is a  smelly loud  madhouse.

Well said!

I am not a hater - just don't like them much.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:Five Guys "haters" - check this out 2011/10/10 08:33:55
ChrisOC

It looks like friendly service is a big factor in rating these outlets.  Like the friendly server at McD who responded to my order of a quarter pounder and a milkshake with a friendly "Do you want anything to drink with that?"

In all fairness, the server was probably distracted by all the pictures on the register and really meant to say "Do you want fries with that?"

Did you get your "free" apple pie?  In Texas recently the policy has been that if you are not offered apple pie, ask for one and it's "free"!
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:Five Guys "haters" - check this out 2011/10/10 08:44:45
seafarer john

Five Guys is a  smelly loud  madhouse. Never stayed long enough to taste their overdone burger. I hate the Yankees
(baseball) but I merely disdain Five Guys.

Cheers, John  

I certainly agree about the loud part.  When I visited Five Guys #1 next to Brenner's Bakery in Arlington, VA Jerry's kids played DC101 so damn loud I couldn't digest the free peanuts.  I told Jerry about this and only got a shrug and a comment:  "Jim, you've got kids, too". 

And, I do recall that when they expanded #2 (on King & Beauregard) into an ajacent laundromat in order to provide seating and a restroom, there was a "funky" smell.  I killed it by sniffing the complimentary malt vinegar.
cavandre
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Five Guys "haters" - check this out 2011/10/10 09:43:01
I'll never understand why they think that putting their french fries in a plastic cup & them sealing them up in a paper bag improves the product.
SeamusD
Re:Five Guys "haters" - check this out 2011/10/10 11:26:34
I'm not a "hater", I can just get a bigger, better burger for less money right down the street. I don't think they live up to their hype is all.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
Re:Five Guys "haters" - check this out 2011/10/10 11:29:57
Five Guys is meh in my opinion, so I dont classify myself as a hater, but given the fairly high price of their burgers, I don't plan on returning

That said, if there was a survey on cilantro that said 99.9% of people think it is the very best herb in all of existence, it would not change my personal opinion about Cilantro - that it tastes like dish soap - and so it is with this Five Guys survey as well

Now if you told me they were lowering their prices by half - THAT might well change my opinion on the place, or at least earn them a second visit to re-evaluate.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:Five Guys "haters" - check this out 2011/10/10 12:43:39
cavandre

I'll never understand why they think that putting their french fries in a plastic cup & them sealing them up in a paper bag improves the product.

I agree. 

I've been "after them" since Reagan was President to offer a paper plate for those dining in.  That way the burger wouldn't look "smooshed" and I'd have a semi-civilized place for my ketchup instead of a piece of ripped paper bag.

Regarding the cup:  why waste good styrofoam when more than half your serving is overflowing into the bag?  Maybe they are trying to be Mama Celeste and show that their serving is "abodanza".

Next time I go by I'll take a china plate and tell them to "hold" the foil wrap, paper bag, and styro-cup.  Ever since I married "blue blood" I've become fussy about "presentation".
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:Five Guys "haters" - check this out 2011/10/10 15:02:09
Jim-Blue blood or not-you are dining in a fast food restaurant!! Thats their schtick, and apparently thay are sticking to it. I would prefer Mcdonalds would serve my food, while dining in, on plates, but they dont.And their products in my opinion, are often squished, fries cold etc. Come on guys!!
kland01s
Filet Mignon
Re:Five Guys "haters" - check this out 2011/10/10 15:20:38
A few weeks ago we stopped at a Boston Market. We were in an unfamiliar area and it was the best option because you can just get an order of vegetables. I don't know if they are all doing this, but when you eat in your meal is now served and brought on a china plate! Seemed kind of inefficient because the runner who was delivering the food would go overboard on service getting items, filling drinks and such. Fast food has it's place because most times you are on a lunch break or in a hurry and you want your food, well, fast!
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:Five Guys "haters" - check this out 2011/10/10 16:23:20
ann peeples

Jim-Blue blood or not-you are dining in a fast food restaurant!! Thats their schtick, and apparently thay are sticking to it. I would prefer Mcdonalds would serve my food, while dining in, on plates, but they dont.And their products in my opinion, are often squished, fries cold etc. Come on guys!!

I'm just wishing.

But not kidding.

For years (due to their service system) I have seen my burger - literally within my reach -standing fresh and tall on the prep table. 

Yet, in the 20 seconds it takes to wrap it in foil and throw it into that @%$* - ing bag with my fries it is smooched when I unwrap it. 

Yes, it tastes good; but, we also "eat" with our eyes.  And Five Guy's "presentation" is a stye!
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:Five Guys "haters" - check this out 2011/10/10 17:42:27
Okay, Jim.I agree......
David_NYC
Re:Five Guys "haters" - check this out 2011/10/10 19:33:16
It is interesting that the top Market Force survey findings are very similar to the ones from the Consumer Reports survey in October 2010, which we discussed in another thread here on RF:
http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/Consumer-Reports-Readers-Rate-Best-Burgers-m609636.aspx
http://www.biteofthebest.com/the-worst-burger-in-america/

Another survey we discussed here conducted by trade publication NRN shows In-N-Out the champ:
http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/tm.aspx?high=&m=667889

But I firmly agree with Jim in Dallas that Five Guys could be better if they didn't have nails in their head. Besides their schtick, they do use fresh meat and potatoes rather than frozen. 
I think corporate-owned Nathan's do it right by serving their freshly peeled and sliced fries in paperboard boat containers and hamburgers in paperboard clamshell boxes - keeps the burger from shifting while carrying it to the table.

As for why Five Guys became so popular, one thing I was not able to learn was how much the burgers cost for fresh meat and potatoes during their early years. If they served fresh for the price of others' frozen ingredients, it would account for part of their success. 
EDITED to correct various errors. 
post edited by David_NYC - 2011/10/11 11:45:26
Glenn1234
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Five Guys "haters" - check this out 2011/10/10 21:03:12

I agree with Ann Peeples.  Five Guys is FAST FOOD.  It is not fine dining.  For waht they are, they are pretty darn good fast food.   Some of you are saying they would be better if they were not priced so high.   That has nothing to do with whether they are good, only if they are a "good value".   "Good food"  versus "good value" are 2 separate issues.  

I have eaten at top dollar fine dining reataraurants that were very good, but they weren't 8 times better as their prices might suggest.   The fine dining wasn't a "good value".  That doesn't mean the food wasn't good. 

A lot of the Five Guys bashing might be just a matter of preference.  I happen to like thinner, well done burgers  along the lines of Steak 'N Shake, Five Guys, Shake Shack, etc.  (Though Five Guys is not quite as thin as Steak 'N Shake, etc.).  

Others prefer thicker, less well done burgers.   I don't find the sight of pink/red, undercooked (or nearly undercooked) beef particularly appetizing.   (They don't put those warnings on menus for nothing.)  
  The recent featured photo of the Bobcat Bite burger, with bloody pink/red juice soaked soggy bottom half of the bun was an extreme turnoff to me.  But, I understand, ... there are different tastes for different folks.  

My preference is for well-done.  And I find Five Guys juicy, despite being well-done.   Not many places can pull off being both juicy and well-done.   Five Guys seems to do it every time...at least the ones local to me. 
Maybe the Five Guys closer to the original location in northern VA helps?   I don't know. 

Glenn

post edited by Glenn1234 - 2011/10/10 21:09:43
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Five Guys "haters" - check this out 2011/10/11 16:59:53
This is not a bash-post. We have (had) two Five Guys on our side of the river in So Indiana.  It doesn't take much of a marketing expert to figure out that they were fighting an uphill battle in the Burger Wars in this area...Not because of the product, for sure. I think thay make a pretty good Burger. However, their pricing is a bit above the mainstream FF Burger, and that is a Big Deal in the market-share equation, at least in this area.....This side of Louisville is NOT Yuppieville, for sure. While there are some 'nice' neighborhoods, the middle and lower-middle class brackets more closely describe the area. Five Guys has the reputation (deserved or not is not important) that it is an upper-middle class focal point...maybe due to it's origins in the Urbane East??  Culvers, on the other hand is pricing at or above Five-Guys, but pushings it's Mid-west (Wisconsin ) origin and thus "is acceptable".
The second cause for the demise of our two examples of Five-Guys is the lack of a drive-thru service. Folks here want to order-pickup-and get out. No drive-thru was the point of the dagger that brought these two franchise outlets down, IMHO.
Thus the market team blew it in these two cases...not the quality of the product.
rebeltruce
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Five Guys "haters" - check this out 2011/10/11 19:09:55
I've had Five Guys all over Va, incuding the first two stores at least 15-20 times each, I go to my local Five Guys here in Culpeper, Va on average once a month or so.

I've never had a bad experience, the burgers have always been excellent and the fries have always been great, unless you try and take them home, they don't travel well at all, because of this I never get my burger and fries to go.

I enjoy  rare burger as much as the next guy...I've been known to spread a hunk of sourdough with some fresh ground chuck, a bit of salt and pepper and a beer and I'm in heaven....but Five Guys does well done very well.

The service has always been top notch, he restroom always spotless......

Glenn1234
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Five Guys "haters" - check this out 2011/10/11 20:47:54

mayor al -

That's interesting stuff.   So, basically, the Louisville / southern Indiana locals perceive (rightly or wrongly) that they get more value from a midwestern product, and are willing to pay for it.  
I have never eaten at Culver's, but their online menu looks great.  Looking forward to trying it some time. 

rebeltruce - 

Like you, I have never been disappointed by Five Guys ...... except for the fries, which I rarely get any more.    I'm one of few people who don't rave about their fries, ... which are often not very crisp.  I'm just not a big fan of that peanut oil / boardwalk style fries.  I usually just get the burger, and it has always been good.  

My favorite fries anywhere are at Dixie Bones in Woodbridge, VA.   That place is well worth the drive for you from Culpeper for BBQ, fries, and pies.   

Glenn

post edited by Glenn1234 - 2011/10/12 15:01:17
ppezalla
Junior Burger
Re:Five Guys "haters" - check this out 2011/10/12 21:49:53
" I'm one of few people who don't rave about their fries, ... which are often not very crisp."

I generally ask for extra crisp on the fries and they do it. Not many place will do fries "your way".
ces1948
Re:Five Guys "haters" - check this out 2011/10/12 23:49:18
ppezalla

" I'm one of few people who don't rave about their fries, ... which are often not very crisp."

I generally ask for extra crisp on the fries and they do it. Not many place will do fries "your way".

I'm surprised they are able/willing to do that. I do know quite a bit about their operating procedure and it would be hard to accommodate that.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Five Guys "haters" - check this out 2011/10/13 00:19:14
Glenn,
  In the upper-end suburbs on the NorthEast side of L-ville the source of the company tends to get blurred by the marketing efforts...But when the customers are a step down from that level, there are those who avoid the contact with things from the "East". As you say,   'rightly' or not it is a train of thinking that does affect the decision making of the burger-buyer !
Funny that White Castle who origins come out of the NE also doesn't face the same competition...the lower prices seem to make a difference in this case.
Glenn1234
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Five Guys "haters" - check this out 2011/10/13 18:24:50

Mayor Al -

Thanks for the info.  I have heard of people favoring local places,  ... either out of local pride,  ... or these days because of some of the "buy local" movement.    But, Culver's isn't even based out of the Louisville area.   It looks like their home turf is WI.  

Doesn't Louisville consdier itself a "southern" city?  if so, maybe the local Five Guys should market themselves as originating in "the south" (Virginia), versus the "northern" Culvers.    Or, does Lousiville consider itself more midwestern than southern, therefore aligning with the midwestern Culver's out of WI? 

As for White Castle, I think they originated in Kansas?

Glenn

post edited by Glenn1234 - 2011/10/13 18:30:47
claracamille
Cheeseburger
Re:Five Guys "haters" - check this out 2011/10/15 11:31:59
MiamiDon

seafarer john

Five Guys is a  smelly loud  madhouse.

Well said!

I am not a hater - just don't like them much.

Miami Don,
I agree I am not a hater,it just here in Indy there are much better, cheaper burgers & fries- -Steak n Shake, Culvers, 96th St Steakburgers(my favorite burger spot, fresh fries, crispy edged burgers).   If you want to go in & sit down there are many more better places- Bubs Burgers in Carmel,IN for one.   Five guys seems to do a bigger lunch business than dinner.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:Five Guys "haters" - check this out 2011/10/21 08:36:07
David_NYC
As for why Five Guys became so popular, one thing I was not able to learn was how much the burgers cost for fresh meat and potatoes during their early years. If they served fresh for the price of others' frozen ingredients, it would account for part of their success. 

Very true, it is significantly less expensive to buy bulk ground beef than frozen patties.  Back in the late 1980's bulk ground chuck was significantly < than $1./# and potatos by the 50# bag were then (and now) almost "free".  If I had to guess, they were paying Brenner's Bakery a < a nickel per outstanding bun.  As I recall, a single patty sandwich was then $1.79 and a double was $2.69 so they were still making a high margin even on their burgers.  As the cost of fries and sodas are < 10% (the most expensive component of a Coke is the cup it is served in), Five Guys was always a high-margin concept.  Good for them!

geez70
Junior Burger
Re:Five Guys "haters" - check this out 2011/10/30 10:50:39
I'm not a hater...  just don't understand what all the hype is about.  Yes it is good but not memorable and wouldn't go out of the way for it.
db1105
Cheeseburger
Re:Five Guys "haters" - check this out 2011/11/05 21:09:41
Any place afraid to cook your burger to your desired doneness is not worth eating. Since 5 Guy fries their burgers beyond burnt and squeezes every bit of natural juices out of the patty, I can only assume that they don't trust the quality of the meat, or thier employees. All the free toppings confirm my fears.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:Five Guys "haters" - check this out 2011/11/06 10:08:33
db1105

Any place afraid to cook your burger to your desired doneness is not worth eating. Since 5 Guy fries their burgers beyond burnt and squeezes every bit of natural juices out of the patty, I can only assume that they don't trust the quality of the meat, or thier employees. All the free toppings confirm my fears.

"Since 5 Guy fries their burgers beyond burnt and squeezes every bit of natural juices out of the patty".  This is simply not true.  They fry their burgers until the juice runs clear (which means that they have reached an internal temp of 165), NOT until no juice remains.  (See Glenn1234's "testimony" above).

And the reason they do this has nothing whatsoever to do with "not trusting the quality of their meat or employees".  As has been recognized by most above, Five Guys is is "fast food".  Success in the "fast food" category requires a consistent, predictable product:  visit any McD's in the world and their food is the same; I have choked down their crap in New Castle, PA, NYC, Paris, McKinney, TX, B.A., and Rio and it's always the same

Of that group, (McD's, Wendy's, BK, In-N-Out, Steak 'n Shake, Culver's, Whattaburger, DQ, Jack-in-the-Box, etc.) they serve the juiciest burger. 

If you want to order something less than well-done, then bitch about what you are served, go to Chili's, TGI's, Ruby T's, or Applebee's!  With wait service they are confugured to cook-to-order -- and they charge accordingly!

As Five Guys originated in Northern Virginia where (I know it's hard - and somewhat frightening - to believe) one out of every eleven adults has a law degree, their frying their burgers until the juice runs clear has everything to do with avoiding litigation!  Back in the 1980's when Jack-in-the-Box had an e-coli "incident" in the Pacific NW, their NOVA stores closed almost immediately - never to return to that lucrative market.

---------------------
(And before Mr. Hoffman tells us yet again how Waffle House prepares his burger to order I will, based on my former Maryland and Virginia food & health certifications, assert that the highest risk of e-coli comes from cooking frozen patties to anything less than well-done)!
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
Re:Five Guys "haters" - check this out 2011/11/06 11:08:34
You did not include Smashburger in that group, and I think Smashburger compares more directly with them in terms of price, toppings, and target market

I have only had one Smashburger thus far, but the juicyness of that one burger was far and away greater than any burger I have had from the mediocre Five Guys lineup

I am not trumpeting (or intending to trumpet) Smashburger as the greatest thing out there, mind you.
db1105
Cheeseburger
Re:Five Guys "haters" - check this out 2011/11/13 20:51:01
your response makes no sense. I watched them squeeze every bit of juice out of my burger wit h my own two eyes. The only clear thing was the lack of any moisture left in the burger. There are still some real burger joints out these that will serve you a burger cooked rare. They are obviously not afraid of the meat they serve or the help they hire. 5 guys are afraid of something with their cooking methods. so, it has EVERYTHING to do with the quality of the meat the serve and the people they hire to cook it. Since 5 guy's do not charge fast food prices, you would expect higher quality. When I can get a burger down the road cooked the way I like, basically for the same price, your claims are baseless. The 5 guys i went to was anything but fast or cheap.
MetroplexJim

db1105

"Since 5 Guy fries their burgers beyond burnt and squeezes every bit of natural juices out of the patty".  This is simply not true.  They fry their burgers until the juice runs clear (which means that they have reached an internal temp of 165), NOT until no juice remains.  (See Glenn1234's "testimony" above).

And the reason they do this has nothing whatsoever to do with "not trusting the quality of their meat or employees".  As has been recognized by most above, Five Guys is is "fast food".  Success in the "fast food" category requires a consistent, predictable product:  visit any McD's in the world and their food is the same; I have choked down their crap in New Castle, PA, NYC, Paris, McKinney, TX, B.A., and Rio and it's always the same

Of that group, (McD's, Wendy's, BK, In-N-Out, Steak 'n Shake, Culver's, Whattaburger, DQ, Jack-in-the-Box, etc.) they serve the juiciest burger. 

If you want to order something less than well-done, then bitch about what you are served, go to Chili's, TGI's, Ruby T's, or Applebee's!  With wait service they are confugured to cook-to-order -- and they charge accordingly!

As Five Guys originated in Northern Virginia where (I know it's hard - and somewhat frightening - to believe) one out of every eleven adults has a law degree, their frying their burgers until the juice runs clear has everything to do with avoiding litigation!  Back in the 1980's when Jack-in-the-Box had an e-coli "incident" in the Pacific NW, their NOVA stores closed almost immediately - never to return to that lucrative market.

---------------------
(And before Mr. Hoffman tells us yet again how Waffle House prepares his burger to order I will, based on my former Maryland and Virginia food & health certifications, assert that the highest risk of e-coli comes from cooking frozen patties to anything less than well-done)!

MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:Five Guys "haters" - check this out 2011/11/14 09:38:09
db1105, all I am saying is that Five Guys' served product has a higher moisture content than any "fast food" burger I have ever eaten, including In-N-Out, Culver's, and Whattaburger, saying nothing of the heated, frozen frisbees served by McD's and BK.

Your local burger restaurant that will cook rare does not have 900 locations and a high media profile.  More to my point, your local restaurant does not have pockets deep enough to elicit the interest of the tort lawyers.  Five Guys does.

Clearly, Five Guys is not for you and that is perfectly fine with me.  Chacun a son gout.
eruby
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Five Guys "haters" - check this out 2011/11/14 09:38:29
Different 5 Guys have different procedures.  I'm not saying your local one isn't dessicating the burgers, but I'm in MetroplexJim's camp. All the burgers I've had have been good and none have been dry.  Are they the best I can get locally? No.  But for the price and convenience, when I sometimes go, they are good.

Again, I'm not saying your local 5 Guys isn't giving you a big bag of suck, but I disagree that MetroplexJim's post makes no sense.
db1105

your response makes no sense. I watched them squeeze every bit of juice out of my burger wit h my own two eyes. The only clear thing was the lack of any moisture left in the burger. There are still some real burger joints out these that will serve you a burger cooked rare. They are obviously not afraid of the meat they serve or the help they hire. 5 guys are afraid of something with their cooking methods. so, it has EVERYTHING to do with the quality of the meat the serve and the people they hire to cook it. Since 5 guy's do not charge fast food prices, you would expect higher quality. When I can get a burger down the road cooked the way I like, basically for the same price, your claims are baseless. The 5 guys i went to was anything but fast or cheap.
MetroplexJim

db1105

---------------------

Glenn1234
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Five Guys "haters" - check this out 2011/11/14 17:35:16
db1105 -

Try another location.   Maybe your location dries them out.  I have had good luck with our local locations, and I have easily eaten well over 100 of these burgers over the years here in nothern VA, where they have been around since the 1980s.  I can't recall more than a couple that were dried out. 

It's possible that you will never be satisfied with them if you crave rare meat. 

Glenn 

MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:Five Guys "haters" - check this out 2011/12/11 08:06:59
Glenn1234

db1105 -

Try another location.   Maybe your location dries them out.  I have had good luck with our local locations, and I have easily eaten well over 100 of these burgers over the years here in nothern VA, where they have been around since the 1980s.  I can't recall more than a couple that were dried out. 

It's possible that you will never be satisfied with them if you crave rare meat. 

Glenn 

Sadly, I am forced to conclude that db1105 is a Five Guys "hater".  No skin off my nose.
rebeltruce
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Five Guys "haters" - check this out 2011/12/11 08:20:09
I'm with Glen and Metro....I have eaten at 5 Guys literally 100's of times...and I have never had a dry burger. Could be because, other then being to a 5 Guys in York, Pa. all of my visits have been in NOVA/Va..where they got their start.

So what, they smoosh their burgers on the grill and cook them through...my burgers have always been juicy, to me that's talent.

As I've said before I enjoy a nice rare burger just like the next guy.....but for my money 5 Guys is a great burger, head and shoulders above any fast food joint and most mom and pops, at least in my little corner of the world.
leethebard
Sirloin
Re:Five Guys "haters" - check this out 2012/01/05 15:08:42
ann peeples

Ann, you are the voice of reason and common sense on this web-site!!!! Well said!
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:Five Guys "haters" - check this out 2012/01/05 16:41:48
leethebard

ann peeples

Ann, you are the voice of reason and common sense on this web-site!!!! Well said!

This is all I'm looking for in the way of "presentation" from Five Guys:

Is an unsquished burger served on wax paper in a mesh basket really too much to ask for at Five Guys prices?

(Photo courtesy of JRPfeff, taken at Smashburger)
leethebard
Sirloin
Re:Five Guys "haters" - check this out 2012/01/05 17:00:46
Metroplex,
   We ate at our local 5 Guys last night, and although our burger( I had it with the works!) was wrapped as usual..it was unsquisshed and "unsmashed" perfectly fine.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:Five Guys "haters" - check this out 2012/01/05 18:26:25
leethebard

Metroplex,
  We ate at our local 5 Guys last night, and although our burger( I had it with the works!) was wrapped as usual..it was unsquisshed and "unsmashed" perfectly fine.

Lee,

I've been patronizing Five Guys since the Reagan Administration.  This is what my burger usually looks like:

It is delicious, but could be so much better with a "Smashburger presentation".  Also, perhaps this is just a personal quirk, but damp bread stimulates a gag reflex in me.
leethebard
Sirloin
Re:Five Guys "haters" - check this out 2012/01/05 19:55:41
metroplexjim,
    I've seen 5 Guys pictures like that often..and even got one once or twice...but,the last few times we've gone to our local location, they looked fine. Maybe there's an effort afoot to improve...soggy or not, the taste is great(and for me that's what counts).
sk bob
Re:Five Guys "haters" - check this out 2012/01/05 21:41:39
MetroplexJim

leethebard

ann peeples

This is all I'm looking for in the way of "presentation" from Five Guys:

Is an unsquished burger served on wax paper in a mesh basket really too much to ask for at Five Guys prices?

(Photo courtesy of JRPfeff, taken at Smashburger)

the only thing that looks good in that picture are the onion straws or whatever they call them on that over smashed burger.
thats a real good presentation; small slice of yellow cheese, one slice of yesterdays bacon,on a dead dead burger. frozen fries with something that looks like dried parsley sprinkles  .
at least the bun is toasted.
post edited by sk bob - 2012/01/05 21:45:36
leethebard
Sirloin
Re:Five Guys "haters" - check this out 2012/01/06 09:23:14
I think he was just talking about the presentation on a tray...but I agree. I didn't say anything when I saw this post, but the food LOOKs average..especially those fries(Definately not 5 Guys!!!)...but who knows how they taste!
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:Five Guys "haters" - check this out 2012/01/06 09:41:18
Presentation is something separate and apart from the food itself.  Whether or not the food in Smashburger illustration above appeals to you is totally beside the point! 

So, to make myself perfectly clear, VISUALIZE your beautiful Five Guys Burger as it appears on their "assembly" table (before the wrapping and throwing it in a poke process). 

Now IMAGINE its being placed in the "Smashburger-style" paper-lined mesh tray where beside it is a huge mound of those delicious Five Guys fries.

Now that's a pretty mental picture, isn't it?
leethebard
Sirloin
Re:Five Guys "haters" - check this out 2012/01/06 12:40:34
I agree..it would look nice on that tray...but given a forced choice, I'll take taste over presentation any day!!!
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Five Guys "haters" - check this out 2012/01/06 13:27:45
I don't think I could eat a wet bun.  Do they take returns?

A 5 Guys just opened not far from here so it is somewhere in my future.  At least once.
pnwchef
Re:Five Guys "haters" - check this out 2012/01/06 14:45:18
mar52

I don't think I could eat a wet bun.  Do they take returns?

A 5 Guys just opened not far from here so it is somewhere in my future.  At least once.

Mar, wet buns are never good, I had some the other day, I went home and changed........
leethebard
Sirloin
Re:Five Guys "haters" - check this out 2012/01/06 15:33:45
Our infants always had wet bun problems......only one's I ever  cared about!
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:Five Guys "haters" - check this out 2012/01/06 16:03:10
leethebard

Our infants always had wet bun problems......only one's I ever  cared about!

And never a gag reflex?
(Even when the "presentation" was green? )
post edited by MetroplexJim - 2012/01/06 16:06:07
Greymo
Filet Mignon
Re:Five Guys "haters" - check this out 2012/01/06 17:16:13
My youngest grandaughter begged me to take her to a "Five Guys" because so many of her friends had eaten there.  I took her.......we ordered our food.  We sat at one of the high top tables and she said "Gramma, how come this bag looks like a garbage bag of food?"   and "Why are people throwing peanut shells on the floor?"    You can see that at age 9, she was not impressed!
leethebard
Sirloin
Re:Five Guys "haters" - check this out 2012/01/06 17:58:00
Ya know, all the times we've been to our 5 Guys,I've never seen a peanut shell on the floor. We put our shells in an empty cardboard used to put the peanuts in...and so do all the people around us...or they put them in the empty brown bag....I guess we people on the Jersey shore are neat!!!
leethebard
Sirloin
Re:Five Guys "haters" - check this out 2012/01/06 17:58:51
oh...Snooki excluded!!!
Greymo
Filet Mignon
Re:Five Guys "haters" - check this out 2012/01/06 18:33:26
Empty browm bag?  What in the world is that?  People are eating peanuts before they get their brown bag of food.............have no idea what  the cardboard is that you are talking about.................must be that you guys are more "highclass" up there!
post edited by Greymo - 2012/01/06 19:23:23
leethebard
Sirloin
Re:Five Guys "haters" - check this out 2012/01/06 21:57:01
We have stacks of small cardboard containers to put the scooped peanuts in...Our kids take a few extra empties for the shells...and after the burgers and fries are taken out of the bag and passed out...many people dump the shells into the brown bag...if that makes us here in Jersey "highclass" then so be it...but that's what goes on here.
sk bob
Re:Five Guys "haters" - check this out 2012/01/06 23:12:27
don't tell me the food in that picture came out like that.
it was arranged for the picture.
when you're eating at a burger joint, from McD's to 5 Guys, YOU KNOW the presentation is NOT going to look like the picture.
I go to those places for the taste, not the presentation.
if you go there for presentation, YOU ARE PRETTY DELERIOUS.
I don't care how they market them,they're still BURGER JOINTS. NOT resteraunts. 
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
Re:Five Guys "haters" - check this out 2012/01/07 06:09:03
Greymo

My youngest grandaughter begged me to take her to a "Five Guys" because so many of her friends had eaten there.  I took her.......we ordered our food.  We sat at one of the high top tables and she said "Gramma, how come this bag looks like a garbage bag of food?"   and "Why are people throwing peanut shells on the floor?"    You can see that at age 9, she was not impressed!

MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:Five Guys "haters" - check this out 2012/01/07 08:48:18
Greymo

Clearly, your grandaughter is a refined young lady who is benefitting from an excellent upbringing. 

Even the young appreciate proper presentation.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
Re:Five Guys "haters" - check this out 2012/01/07 09:28:20
sk bob

don't tell me the food in that picture came out like that.
it was arranged for the picture.  When you're eating at a burger joint, from McD's to 5 Guys, YOU KNOW the presentation is NOT going to look like the picture.

JRPfeff took the picture at Smashburger and noted that it was not "arranged".  Further, my experiences there regarding presentation have been identical to the one illustrated. 

sk bob
I go to those places for the taste, not the presentation.

If I must choose, I agree. 

Clearly though, Smashburger has chosen as one of their "product differentiations" an attractive way to present their food.  Good for them!  Now they earn more of my money than does Five Guys.

All I am saying is that everything else being equal (including the quality of the food, of course) I will choose the business with the more appetizing presentation. 

You are setting up the classic "strawman":  the choice here is not "crap" artfully arranged vs. good food slopped into a trough!  

Throughout the history of free enterprise appealing product differentiations are a key to corporate success.  Presently, the Apple Computer Corporation is an excellent example of this.

sk bob
if you go there for presentation, YOU ARE PRETTY DELERIOUS.

Presentation appeals to the eye.  All the senses, including sight, are involved in gustatory delight.  Otherwise, we would be content with Maricopa County prison-style protein loaf served up in a trough! 

(Once upon a time in Mao's China everyone was made to dress alike in unisex "Mao Jackets".  Are the Chinese now "delerious" because they have now "gone for fashion" where the basic product - clothing to protect one from the elements - is now differentiated in eye-pleasing ways?). 
sk bob
I don't care how they market them,they're still BURGER JOINTS. NOT resteraunts. 

To me at least serving food in a wire mesh basket lined with waxed paper is far more "burger jointy" than "restauranty". 

Five Guy's "presentation" is pretty damn close to slopping the hogs.  Worse yet, it yields  damp bread.
post edited by MetroplexJim - 2012/01/07 10:14:09
leethebard
Sirloin
Re:Five Guys "haters" - check this out 2012/01/07 11:31:37
I agree "all things equal"...but I and many here do not find the smashburger(love that name:Do they press the burger down like 5 Guys?) 5 guys equal...and you agree the fries are inferior.....so in this case, taste trumps!. That said I would choose my 5 guys wisely. As I said, ours isn't wet,usually. Now, I've eaten loaded burgers at pubs that get soggy with wet toppings, if you use a burger roll...it's the nature of the beast...simple patty. lettuce and tomato, no...Add all kinds of sauces,grilled onions,mushrooms,jalapenos etc..maybe.
    I've taken a chunk of 5 guys burger out of my everything burger and tasted just the meat. Great taste...don't do that with some trash burger!
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2