Todays butt head customer

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 60 of 89
chewingthefat
  • Total Posts : 6103
  • Reward points : 0
Todays butt head customer - Mon, 10/10/11 5:23 PM
Guy and his wife and 3 kids come in, the oldest child is a little girl 6 or7. The woman asks the waitress is your Chili spicy? My daughter wants Chili. The waitress says yes indeed it is spicy. The woman says ok, give us a cup with cheese and onions. I'm sitting at the computer thinking, spicy Chili with raw onions and cheese for a 6-7 yr. old kid??? The waitress brings it, the kid takes a bite, says it's too spicy, the woman says she so sorry but you'll have to take it back, I say sorry, you were told, it was spicy, I'll take it back but you will be charged half price. This doesn't go over with hubby, and he starts bitching, I told him that were not some chain that can be played like that. I got the old we'll never be back line. they got my old line good, and tell your friends, if you got any, to stay away. I will not be abused by the public, I don't care if he writes 1000 bogus negative reviews on Yelp! Your reaction?
PS. The Chili has a kick, but in almost  11 years, never had any sent back, for it's heat.
<message edited by chewingthefat on Mon, 10/10/11 5:26 PM>

DawnT
  • Total Posts : 1286
Re:Todays butt head customer - Mon, 10/10/11 5:45 PM
I admire your resolve Chewey, but one thing I've learned over the years  is a customer scorned can be a nightmare. The buck ends with you and no upper management governace to interfere is great, but the word of mouth and online reputation damage isn't worth it for a compromise. I wouldn't comp it out of principle either, but I certainly would have given them full credit for it towards the rest of their ticket or exchage for something else. Most people woudn't have done this anyways. There a some kids at that age that truly do like spicy foods. I used to be like that and wasn't a picky eater. I realize that it's now PC not to give young kids highly spiced foods, but that wasn't the case when I grew up where you ate what everybody else did and not some kid friendly food.

Foodbme
  • Total Posts : 9587
Re:Todays butt head customer - Mon, 10/10/11 6:10 PM
Possible Solution would have been to offer a small sample of chili to the kid before placing the order. Would have defussed the whole situation and they would have no recourse if they went ahead and ordered it.

chewingthefat
Re:Todays butt head customer - Mon, 10/10/11 10:08 PM
Foodbme

Possible Solution would have been to offer a small sample of chili to the kid before placing the order. Would have defussed the whole situation and they would have no recourse if they went ahead and ordered it.

Your right! Got bye me!!

DawnT
  • Total Posts : 1286
Re:Todays butt head customer - Mon, 10/10/11 11:12 PM
RU Serious? Micromanaging and looking over the shoulder of a waitstaff and making a call on the judgement of a customer? If I ordered something off the menu and someone came back to the table and told me that I what I ordered may not be suitable for me and to try a sample b4 they serve it, I'd really be miffed. Suffice to note on the menu or have the waitress mention that it's up there on the scoville scale instead of saying it's just spicy.

Foodbme
  • Total Posts : 9587
Re:Todays butt head customer - Tue, 10/11/11 3:31 AM
DawnT

RU Serious? Micromanaging and looking over the shoulder of a waitstaff and making a call on the judgement of a customer? If I ordered something off the menu and someone came back to the table and told me that I what I ordered may not be suitable for me and to try a sample b4 they serve it, I'd really be miffed. Suffice to note on the menu or have the waitress mention that it's up there on the scoville scale instead of saying it's just spicy.

Yes, I'm serious! Your intrepretation of what I was saying is way off the mark.
I was not implying that CTF get involved or micromanage the situation.
You can train your waitstaff to handle a situation like that in a tactful manner.
Have them say something like, "Since our chili is on the spicy side, would you like me to bring your son a little sample for him to try to make sure he likes it?"
You can't do it with every item on the menu but you can with chili.
Most parents would appreciate that. If they say no, then the Monkey's on their back.
That way you head off a potential problem.
<message edited by Foodbme on Tue, 10/11/11 3:33 AM>

eruby
  • Total Posts : 587
Re:Todays butt head customer - Tue, 10/11/11 8:26 AM
Foodbme

I was going to say this as well.  A little condiment cupful as a taste would likely have solved the problem.  Of course some buttheads cannot be satisfied no matter what you do. 

mayor al
  • Total Posts : 15076
Re:Todays butt head customer - Tue, 10/11/11 11:35 AM
Yeah the taste-test would have saved you a lot of hassle ! Like the tiny-spoon ice cream tasters, they help steer the customer to the right decision.   Now, , if you were having a bad day, and wanted a chance to dump on someone other than an employee, then you found the way to do it, Ehhh.

chewingthefat
Re:Todays butt head customer - Tue, 10/11/11 12:07 PM
mayor al

Yeah the taste-test would have saved you a lot of hassle ! Like the tiny-spoon ice cream tasters, they help steer the customer to the right decision.   Now, , if you were having a bad day, and wanted a chance to dump on someone other than an employee, then you found the way to do it, Ehhh.

Al and the rest of you who suggested a sample, your right, it got by me because she was so definitive about ordering it. I give samples every day to lots of people, I have no problem with samples, that said, when I first opened, I did have a problem with samples, I learned samples sell a lot of food. This place however is not a pay if you feel like it, place!

fishtaco
  • Total Posts : 742
Re:Todays butt head customer - Tue, 10/11/11 3:17 PM
chewy, Good deal. So many customer today feel so "entitled". I think more owners need o do like you do and stop kissing their butt's.

UncleVic
  • Total Posts : 6025
Re:Todays butt head customer - Wed, 10/12/11 3:45 AM
I also agree with the partial portion cup sample...  It also works when a customer walks in asking is you chili good?  We've handed out dozens of samples and a good 90% of them became sales.

Phottoman
  • Total Posts : 111
Re:Todays butt head customer - Wed, 10/12/11 9:46 AM
I've been the customer that asked for a sample, but for me it was sauce used on spaghetti.  There are some places that don't know the difference between spaghetti sauce and chilli sauce, and I am NOT a fan of chilli on my spaghetti.  Getting a chance to taste the sauce BEFORE ordering the meal has been a deal saver several times for me.

Photto

Russ Jackson
  • Total Posts : 2257
Re:Todays butt head customer - Sun, 01/13/13 5:11 PM
The downside is customers don't play fair. They will bury you on the internet and you will have no recourse. Should have gone for the sample idea. Did you actually expect the Husband to step up and be a man? He most likely wasn't even the kids Dad. Maybe just the lady's shack-up. NOBODY TAKES RESPONSIBILITY FOR THEIR OWN ACTIONS! I am amazed they did not want you to comp the whole bill because the little creep burned her mouth. WHERE HAVE ALL THE REAL MEN GONE? WHERE ARE THE FATHERS?...Russ
Sorry for the rant but I am in the service business and get held hostage by customers all the time.

flyseye
  • Total Posts : 467
Re:Todays butt head customer - Sun, 01/13/13 8:47 PM
Did you ever stop and figure out how much it costs to get a customer to walk through your front door? More than a bowl of chili,thats for sure. You asked for opinions, and I have to say that in MY opinion you acted rather childish.

CCinNJ
  • Total Posts : 7762
Re:Todays butt head customer - Sun, 01/13/13 9:28 PM
Yikes. It's over a year later.

Ice Cream Man
  • Total Posts : 1370
Re:Todays butt head customer - Mon, 01/14/13 11:51 AM
flyseye

Did you ever stop and figure out how much it costs to get a customer to walk through your front door? More than a bowl of chili,thats for sure. You asked for opinions, and I have to say that in MY opinion you acted rather childish.

It's over a year old but still very relevant.
I know exactly what it costs to get a customer but not only that to keep a customer.
It takes an excellent product. Chewy did the right thing, kick the bad ones out they are only 2% of the people who walk through the door, the good thing about C T F's action they will not likely walk through the door again. I say not likely because even though you tell some of them their not welcome they still come back.

Mosca
  • Total Posts : 2936
Re:Todays butt head customer - Mon, 01/14/13 12:34 PM
My thought is that the guy wasn't coming back no matter what. Might as well let him know you agreed that it was for the best, I say.

chewingthefat
Re:Todays butt head customer - Mon, 01/14/13 5:08 PM
Ice Cream Man

flyseye

It's over a year old but still very relevant.
I know exactly what it costs to get a customer but not only that to keep a customer.
It takes an excellent product. Chewy did the right thing, kick the bad ones out they are only 2% of the people who walk through the door, the good thing about C T F's action they will not likely walk through the door again. I say not likely because even though you tell some of them their not welcome they still come back.

On the money ICM, exactly!

flyseye
Re:Todays butt head customer - Mon, 01/14/13 6:20 PM
We are talking about a CUP OF CHILI here,right ? OK, I give, I would have set them all on fire.

The Travelin Man
  • Total Posts : 3699
Re:Todays butt head customer - Mon, 01/14/13 6:43 PM
Russ Jackson

He most likely wasn't even the kids Dad. 

Wow. This seems like needless inflammatory commentary. How on Earth would you know if the man was the children's father? And, for that matter, why would that be relevant to the story?

ann peeples
  • Total Posts : 8317
Re:Todays butt head customer - Mon, 01/14/13 7:13 PM
I work at Target in the food area.It is basically a make and serve area-pretzels, hot dogs, french fries, etc. You get the picture. We do make ham and turkey ciabatta sandwiches, and two types of salads, but minimal.I had a very snotty guest one day who wanted honey mustard for her sandwich.I am sorry-we didnt have it( at the time). She went on, and on, and on how we should provide said condiments.I am bound by a corporation-if I have ANYTHING in my dept not approved by Target, I am in big trouble.Point being, her rant led me to make a comment-I said, politely, we are not a full service restaurant. God, she went on and on again about how people would die for my job( not really) and there are people out there that could be better at this job.....anyway, she complained to my team lead-he laughed after she left.I never get complaints as I am a people person, but she pissed me off.Chewy was right in his response. Yes, I offer samples( is the popcorn fresh, etc), but sometimes enough is enough.

CCinNJ
Re:Todays butt head customer - Mon, 01/14/13 7:13 PM
Are there other customers in the area...when these things happen?

MetroplexJim
  • Total Posts : 3708
Re:Todays butt head customer - Mon, 01/14/13 7:28 PM
I know it's over a year ago, but it is an excellent topic.

Referring to your menu (nice web-site, BTW!): the item in question (which is in a COGS sense high-margin) was $5.25 - around 10% of the total tab. 

Step 1:  COMP IT AND SMILE!  "Oops!  Seems like your server told you the truth about the chili.  Check the kids menu and let's get this wonderful child fed"!

Step 2:  Take the $35 gross profit on the total ticket to the bank, -ing all the way.

To borrow the words of Mario Puzo:  "This is the business (you) have chosen".

"These days" when every a-hole is "empowered" by the internet, I would kiss every wallet.  

(The beauty of this is that those arrogant fools mistake this for their a$$es being kissed and will go out of their way to write wonderful reviews on the "net").
<message edited by MetroplexJim on Mon, 01/14/13 7:49 PM>

CCinNJ
Re:Todays butt head customer - Mon, 01/14/13 7:37 PM
I guarantee if anyone here went out to a nice Roadfood lunch or dinner and did not know any of the participants but started a thread about "this is what happened while I was just minding my own self trying to enjoy my meal"....nobody would really pick a side.

I think I'd go run over with $5.25 and maybe that would make it stop.
<message edited by CCinNJ on Mon, 01/14/13 8:03 PM>

lleechef
  • Total Posts : 6259
Re:Todays butt head customer - Mon, 01/14/13 8:12 PM
As sure as the sun comes up, those of us that deal with the general public in one way or another are going to come across butt heads.  It's inevitable.  You deal with it according to the situation.  The trick is turning a truly obnoxious, rude, nasty customer into a loyal patron who loves your product. 

ces1948
  • Total Posts : 1499
Re:Todays butt head customer - Mon, 01/14/13 8:16 PM
I wonder what a customer should do if they don't like the taste of something served, grin and bear it?

lleechef
  • Total Posts : 6259
Re:Todays butt head customer - Mon, 01/14/13 8:26 PM
Nope.  Tell the person that handed you the food that you just don't like it.  That could be a server, person at the window of a food truck, chef, etc.  Then I would expect that the customer be urged to try another item.

Ice Cream Man
Re:Todays butt head customer - Mon, 01/14/13 8:46 PM
First you can't fix ignorant people.
Second the customer isn't always right. (no matter what your T.V. told you).
Third A good business doesn't need that 2%.
Fourth these people don't write good reviews.
Fifth I have told these people to get lost and the rest of the customers are happy to see them go because the bad customers interfere with their enjoyment too.
Behave yourself or you get no soup today.  

Ice Cream Man
Re:Todays butt head customer - Mon, 01/14/13 8:51 PM
ces1948

I wonder what a customer should do if they don't like the taste of something served, grin and bear it?

Not the same thing, if C T F told you it was hot and it was suck it up. If it was just not good I'm sure you would get a new one unless you jumped up on the table and started to scream.
To all, remember were not discussing the average customer here.

CCinNJ
Re:Todays butt head customer - Mon, 01/14/13 9:00 PM
Other customers don't care who is right or wrong about the chili. They're not rooting for anyone or making a case. They are there to enjoy their meal.

What other customers may see are children sitting there through the whole silly mess and just feel bad that adults can't manage themselves in a better manner.

bartl
  • Total Posts : 1210
Re:Todays butt head customer - Mon, 01/14/13 9:52 PM
Re: Being near a butthead customer...

I may have told this story here before, but...
My wife and I were at an Indian restaurant we hadn't been to before; we had a coupon. There was a woman sitting at a table who was putting out very negative vibes. She also happened to be African American, so when I told my wife that I wanted to sit at a table further away, and she got stubborn, of course I couldn't say "I do not want to sit near this woman." So we sat in the next table, and the woman's boyfriend/husband joined her. They ordered two tandoori platters. They came to the table, and the woman says, "I can't eat that!" The waiter asked why, and she pointed to a couple of shrimp in the platter and said, "I'm allergic to shrimp! I can't eat it!" The waiter offered to remove the shrimp, to which she replied, "But the shrimp touched the other food! I'm not paying for this!" and stepped up, and insisted that the boyfriend/husband not pay (he did manage to slip a $20 to the waiter). That's a slightly shortened version; there was a dispute as to whether or not she had told the waiter she was allergic to shrimp, and, based on the boyfriend's demeanor, I believe that she had not told the waiter.

Well, my wife's and my food arrived, and, after watching that scene, we really didn't want to use the coupon. On the way out, I told my wife, "I would have made them an offer for the two platters, but they really don't reheat so well." My wife told me, "The food we did order would have reheated fine; you should have made them an offer for the platters and then brought the food we ordered home with us!" Duh!

And, yeah, I know the health department would have looked askew at them serving us the platters, even though we saw that nobody except the waiter had touched them.

Bart

CCinNJ
Re:Todays butt head customer - Mon, 01/14/13 10:06 PM
If walnuts were in the dish...you'd eat it?

What does African American have to do with anything?

1bbqboy
  • Total Posts : 4542
Re:Todays butt head customer - Mon, 01/14/13 10:07 PM
So African Americans are allergic to shrimp? Who knew?

felix4067
  • Total Posts : 3306
Re:Todays butt head customer - Mon, 01/14/13 10:16 PM
As someone with a food allergy, and if it appears on the plate I truly cannot eat anything on it, I can't see how she was being a "butthead customer". Unless it stated on the menu there was shrimp and she ordered it anyway (always a possibility, and then she's an idiot), she could very well have been surprised by it. Me, I'm allergic to melon. It sometimes crops up as a plate garnish, and I have to apologize for not being able to eat anything on the plate (I admit, it does not always occur to me to tell the waiter/waitress that I'm allergic on the off chance they use it). Of course, I'm not obnoxious about it, and I've never had a problem getting a new plate of food sans melon. I've only ever had to pay for one plate of food, since that's all I ordered.

That is, however, a completely different scenario from asking if the chili is spicy, being told that it is, and then complaining about the chili being spicy as advertised.
<message edited by felix4067 on Mon, 01/14/13 10:17 PM>

CCinNJ
Re:Todays butt head customer - Mon, 01/14/13 10:20 PM
The spicy aside...when it comes to being obnoxious the lady said "I'm so sorry...you'll have to take this back" before anything else followed.

CCinNJ
Re:Todays butt head customer - Mon, 01/14/13 10:34 PM
No mention if there was a word said about paying for it or not paying for it before they were told they would be paying 1/2 price for it...by the owner of the establishment who walked over to the table while they were still eating.

You could always bring the waitress aside and tell her to charge whatever you decide (1/2 price full-price) and wait until the meal was complete to either mention the 1/2 price charge or present the bill and take it from there.

When you ordered your club sandwich and it came without bacon...you called the waitress over to ask her about it...and you got bacon without any charge.

If you asked the waitress about the bacon and the owner saw fit to come over before or while you were eating to tell you there was no bacon mentioned on the menu description...sorry this is not a Diner. If you want bacon you will be charged for it...I believe you'd have something to say.
<message edited by CCinNJ on Tue, 01/15/13 12:06 AM>

ann peeples
Re:Todays butt head customer - Tue, 01/15/13 6:04 AM
In the case I stated, I bent over backwards to accomodate this woman before making my comment( no, there were no other customers around) i offered her every condiment we had-including yellow mustard and honey.She had an attitude the minute she came to my area, of which I know how to handle.But her ranting and snobbery were over the top. She was looking for a fight. Even the team leader said that-she wouldnt let him get a word in edge wise. I did apologize to her, saying I was wrong for my statement.However, if I go in to ANY establishment and treat people poorly, I would expect to be treated poorly back. And I certainly didnt treat her as she did me. And yes, its Target, folks, not a four star, full sevice restaurant.

eruby
  • Total Posts : 587
Re:Todays butt head customer - Tue, 01/15/13 7:30 AM
flyseye

We are talking about a CUP OF CHILI here,right ? OK, I give, I would have set them all on fire.
I have to disagree with this logic.

First, it's only a cup of chili. Next, it's only a hamburger. Then, it's only a filet mignon.  Where does one draw the line.

Chewy (or the waitress) could have offered a small taste. Chewey could have removed the chili from the tab.  The customer could have not acted like an azzhat.

It's my cynical opinion that wherever, and whenever people can suck, they will suck, and Chewey's customer and ann peeple's customer only re-inforce my opinion.

ann peeples
Re:Todays butt head customer - Tue, 01/15/13 9:04 AM
Exacty, eruby. I have absolutley no control( something I am not used to) at Target. I was wrong with my comment, but she was completely difficult.......

Ice Cream Man
Re:Todays butt head customer - Tue, 01/15/13 9:09 AM
It's my cynical opinion that wherever, and whenever people can suck, they will suck, and Chewey's customer and ann peeple's customer only re-inforce my opinion.
Only 2% of them, 23% are reasonable, 75% are what makes the service industries enjoyable.

ann peeples
Re:Todays butt head customer - Tue, 01/15/13 9:11 AM
Bartl-probably not the best story, as you kinda profiled.. However, Bob is severly allergic to cucumbers. We make it clear , upon ordering, he cant even have a salad if a cucumber has been in one.

ann peeples
Re:Todays butt head customer - Tue, 01/15/13 9:13 AM
Ice Cream Man-you are right-we still laugh at my response as i am totally customer friendly.......

Ice Cream Man
Re:Todays butt head customer - Tue, 01/15/13 9:25 AM
Ann, I try to be but sometimes you just lose it.
I'm lucky, I sell happiness, if you are having a bad day Ice Cream makes it better but nothing will help some people. 

SeamusD
  • Total Posts : 942
Re:Todays butt head customer - Tue, 01/15/13 9:57 AM
I have food allergies too, and I make it a point to grill the server about exactly what ingredients are in/on/around the food I'm ordering. Luckily, I'm not very allergic to many things, so I haven't had any trouble, and I've only had to send something back maybe twice that I can remember in the past 20+ years.

I did have to sign a waiver at a Japanese restaurant once, that I wouldn't sue them if I got sick after eating my meal cooked on the same surface as the shrimp, rice, and eggs, none of which I can eat. And that was only because my then loudmouth girlfriend who liked to cause drama made a big deal about it. I'm not so allergic that it would have bothered me much as long as I didn't actually eat any of it, so it was all unnecessary and a little embarrassing as it held up everyone else at the table from getting served while they wrote up the form.

jman
  • Total Posts : 1277
Re:Todays butt head customer - Tue, 01/15/13 10:36 AM
I liken this discussion regarding the shoulda, coulda, woulda advice offered to the OP to watching an exchange of two people on TV, then reading the transcript.  There's a good chance your perception of the exchange will differ when watching/hearing or reading either.  In other words, the reality of the actual exchange sometimes gets lost in the telling. Emotion and inflection are rarely replicated when a written account is offered.

CCinNJ
Re:Todays butt head customer - Tue, 01/15/13 10:43 AM
Employees should be taught that no matter what the "percentage of people that suck" happens to be...they should never become part of that issue. Diffuse it. Don't become part of it....with a rant of your own that any part of the 98% have to endure.
That instruction and example comes from the top (or not) but it usually follows suit with employees or employees will run and it happens again and again.

Ice Cream Man
Re:Todays butt head customer - Tue, 01/15/13 10:47 AM
We have customers that come in and ask us to wash the scoops and serve them from a new container to try and eliminate cross contamination. I find this to be a reasonable request.
I had forgotten about a customer that used to come in regularly but I haven't seen her for a lone time. She would ask the server to remove watches and jewelry. She told me it was the only place she could come that the electricity didn't bother her. She wanted to know it we did anything special with our machines. I always expected her to come in with a foil hat on one day.   

Ice Cream Man
Re:Todays butt head customer - Tue, 01/15/13 10:52 AM
CCinNJ

Employees should be taught that no matter what the "percentage of people that suck" happens to be...they should never become part of that issue. Diffuse it. Don't become part of it....with a rant of your own that any part of the 98% have to endure.
That instruction and example comes from the top (or not) but it usually follows suit with employees or employees will run and it happens again and again.

No matter what you think I won't require or teach my employees to eat **** served by the 2% and in my experience the 98% are on the servers side and say so.

CCinNJ
Re:Todays butt head customer - Tue, 01/15/13 10:55 AM
Yes...there will be people like this. Always. That's part of business.

The solution is to find a way to handle whatever happens so the other customers who have nothing to do with that...don't have to anything to do with that (on your part) and if someone is acting-out...not to join them because those other customers behaving see either one party behaving badly and a good business approach to the matter or are party to listening to both sides go on and on...about some silly things.

What action cause this woman to be the 2%?

She ordered chili and said sorry this has to be taken back.

From there it escalated to the current situation.

If your employees are young people and part of your 2% is much older or elderly many of the customers will just see a smartass kid with no respect for their elders no matter what happens.
<message edited by CCinNJ on Tue, 01/15/13 11:03 AM>

pnwchef
  • Total Posts : 2251
Re:Todays butt head customer - Tue, 01/15/13 11:11 AM
Think back, a small restaurant in your home town, the owner opens the door, welcomes you and your family. Welcome to my Restaurant he say's, sit, eat, enjoy. No one ever had a customer complaint that wasn't taken care of. The owner came to the table, asked, How is your food, Wonderful we all replyed . The owner was always there to make sure you and your family had a good experience, if not, he/she would make it right.
  In all the Restaurants I have managed/Chefed or owned, I always worked/walked the floor, making sure the guests were taken care of. I would be able to correct a complaint before it became a complaint. If you walk the floor, you see/hear everything. I was able to see someone picking at their food, look as though something was wrong. I could see someone looking at their watch look agitated. I was able to correct the problem in midstream. If you work the room, you control the room, it doesn't control you. If someone has a bad meal, it's to late if you find this out at the register.
 In the past 35 yrs, if it could happen in a restaurant, it did happen in mine. I have seen everything from people bringing in their own flys to put in the mashed potatoes to get a free meal, to my life and families life being threatened my some crazy guy in Hawaii. I have found that 99.9% of the people are nice, want a good meal, then move on. The small amount of people, that are out to make trouble, or think the world owes them something will always be a problem. These people are not your regular customers. I always got these people out of my dining room, talked to them away from my other guests. These are the people that screw it up for the others. Once they know you have them pegged,  can't be fooled, they move on to hook onto other fish......This is all part of being in business, just be happy these people are not your family.............pnwc

CCinNJ
Re:Todays butt head customer - Tue, 01/15/13 11:22 AM
If your child was there and wanted chili and you decided to order it...and everything else followed (without knowing the owner) and the owner got angry...all you would care about is your child listening to that.

Again...where is the trouble?

I'm sorry you'll have to take the chili back. Let them eat their meal without an announcement that they are charged whatever for it. Offer samples or that the next time so there are no more issues in the future that cause a rant in the middle of the dining room on your part

If they didn't say anything about the charge while eating...you are part of the problem. I don't know anyone who would not have a problem with an owner showing up at a table in the middle of a meal not to find solution but to tell someone they made a mistake and will be charged for it.

Especially if no mention was made about charge...just a request to have it taken away. That's a request made by parents all the time. It's too hot...take it so we won't revisit the chili in the mind of a 7 year-old throughout the meal. No problem...if they didn't mention anything about the charge when the request was made.
<message edited by CCinNJ on Tue, 01/15/13 11:48 AM>

Ice Cream Man
Re:Todays butt head customer - Tue, 01/15/13 11:50 AM
You can say it as many times as you like but it doesn't change the fact that most owners will draw a line in the sand.
Nor does it change my belief that as owners we have to eat ****.
Believe it or not it doesn't hurt our businesses at all, it just allows us to sleep a little better.

felix4067
Re:Todays butt head customer - Tue, 01/15/13 11:53 AM
SeamusD

I have food allergies too, and I make it a point to grill the server about exactly what ingredients are in/on/around the food I'm ordering. Luckily, I'm not very allergic to many things, so I haven't had any trouble, and I've only had to send something back maybe twice that I can remember in the past 20+ years.

I did have to sign a waiver at a Japanese restaurant once, that I wouldn't sue them if I got sick after eating my meal cooked on the same surface as the shrimp, rice, and eggs, none of which I can eat. And that was only because my then loudmouth girlfriend who liked to cause drama made a big deal about it. I'm not so allergic that it would have bothered me much as long as I didn't actually eat any of it, so it was all unnecessary and a little embarrassing as it held up everyone else at the table from getting served while they wrote up the form.

Very jealous! There is a place here in town I frequent, that serves mixed fruit with one of my favourite sandwiches. I always substitute chips because of the melon. One day the manager asked me why, and I explained. Whereupon she told me they only mix the fruit just before serving, and it lives in separate containers until then. She went back to the kitchen and had them take my fruit out of the containers they hadn't yet used in case of cross-contamination, using tongs fresh out of the dishwasher. It was wonderful! About 30 minutes after I got back to work, I started coughing and wheezing and my throat started closing. Luckily, I was carrying Benadryl and it mostly took care of it, although my voice was two octaves too low for a couple of days. Turns out they used the same knife and cutting board to chop the fruit in the morning, something that honestly never occurred to me.

The next time I went, she asked me if I wanted fruit, so I explained what happened. She was mortified and wanted to comp my lunch. I refused, because seriously...she had bent over backward to accommodate me, and it was totally my fault for not thinking of it. Luckily, mine isn't a life-threatening allergy, I just break out in hives wherever the melon or its juice touches me (which gets interesting to say the least if I eat something). But if I didn't already love this place, I definitely would  now! Customer service is an understatement for what they do.

Still completely different from being told chili is spicy, and then complaining because it actually is.
<message edited by felix4067 on Tue, 01/15/13 11:54 AM>

CCinNJ
Re:Todays butt head customer - Tue, 01/15/13 11:55 AM
That's fine with me. I just don't know where the line is when someone decides to order something and it does not work out. If someone does not mention anything about being charged and just says this did not work out...that's the line. Ok. Got it. Time to go over there.
<message edited by CCinNJ on Tue, 01/15/13 11:56 AM>

joerogo
  • Total Posts : 4469
Re:Todays butt head customer - Tue, 01/15/13 12:00 PM
 What... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

CCinNJ
Re:Todays butt head customer - Tue, 01/15/13 12:03 PM
I'm so sorry. I didn't know I'm so sorry you'll have to take this back was an egregious offense by a customer that warrants a visit.

At least it will cut down on the complaints here when people are dining out themselves.

Eat that chili Suzy or put it in your Hello Kitty bag. I knew you were gonna be trouble for us since the day you were born.
<message edited by CCinNJ on Tue, 01/15/13 12:13 PM>

felix4067
Re:Todays butt head customer - Tue, 01/15/13 12:06 PM
joerogo

What do you mean? An African or a European swallow?

joerogo
  • Total Posts : 4469
Re:Todays butt head customer - Tue, 01/15/13 12:28 PM
felix4067

joerogo

What do you mean? An African or a European swallow?

Huh? I... I don't know that.

Auuuuuuuugh!!!

flyseye
Re:Todays butt head customer - Tue, 01/15/13 1:42 PM
Nevermind, not worth the effort.
<message edited by flyseye on Tue, 01/15/13 1:44 PM>

chewingthefat
Re:Todays butt head customer - Tue, 01/15/13 2:01 PM
Ok CC, how do you handle a customer who complains that his Sprite is too cold, as I had happen a few years back. My answer to follow.

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 60 of 89