Tennessee Hot Dogs

Junior Burger
2011/10/12 12:35:01
Any recommendations for hot dogs in Tennessee? I'm going to be there next week (Nashville, Memphis, and everything in between) but all I can find on-line are Chicago-Dog places and "Wacky-topping" places.. I'd like to find something more unique to Tennessee.. if it's out there?? I'm thinking this might be the sort of state where the best hot dogs come from Gas Stations?? Any advice much appreciated.. !
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Tennessee Hot Dogs 2011/10/12 16:45:40
Gilberts Sausages
Junior Burger
Re:Tennessee Hot Dogs 2011/10/13 18:33:08
I asked a buddy of mine who lived in Knoxville for about 6 years.  Here's his response (he's from Chicago obviously).  You might be on your own on this one...

"No. Not one. Portillos should make a killing if they ever open one down there. Nothing compares to Chicago hot dogs."
TnGuy
Hamburger
hkrall
Junior Burger
Re:Tennessee Hot Dogs 2011/10/14 17:38:13
Thanks all. 
Will give some of these a shot!

Holly Moore gave me a good tip on Dyer's in Memphis - deep fried burgers and dogs (and baloney sandwiches) .. sounds great..
yuppicide
Cheeseburger
Re:Tennessee Hot Dogs 2011/10/16 11:21:00
I've never been there, but from the looks of it I think you will like Dyers. I don't know the exact story, but I saw them on Food Network.. The oil they use has been the same oil for 100 years! They clean it out or something. I don't totally know. The oil has been there since day one. When they opened another location they took some of that oil with them as a starter.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Tennessee Hot Dogs 2011/10/17 01:11:04
yuppicide

I've never been there, but from the looks of it I think you will like Dyers. I don't know the exact story, but I saw them on Food Network.. The oil they use has been the same oil for 100 years! They clean it out or something. I don't totally know. The oil has been there since day one. When they opened another location they took some of that oil with them as a starter.

They strain & filter the fat every day. Their burger meat is a 73/27 blend. The fat from the burgers replentishes what ever they loose. They also add something to the fat everyday but don't say what it is.

Davwud
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Tennessee Hot Dogs 2011/10/17 11:34:56
hkrall

Thanks all. 
Will give some of these a shot!

Holly Moore gave me a good tip on Dyer's in Memphis - deep fried burgers and dogs (and baloney sandwiches) .. sounds great..

I've been and while the burgers aren't the great they're certainly very good and the whole 100 year old oil thing makes it for a pretty unique experience.

DT