Fruit Flies

mar52
  • Total Posts : 7609
  • Reward points : 0
Fruit Flies - Sat, 10/15/11 2:06 PM
May I swear here?

This could probably be put in the misc...  food forum, but I want to keep this as far away from food as possible.

No matter what we do we can't get rid of them!  We've tried the cider vinegar in a bowl, cider vinegar in a bowl with soap, bleach, actual cleaning.... everything!

These tiny bastards are everywhere.  They've even come upstairs making two turns to get here.

rebeltruce
  • Total Posts : 698
Re:Fruit Flies - Sat, 10/15/11 2:13 PM
I have the same problem...and I have no fruit out in the open....I don't know where they are coming from.

It's a fairly recent invasion....my only hope is that fall is here and the temps are dropping.....

seafarer john
  • Total Posts : 3481
Re:Fruit Flies - Sat, 10/15/11 2:21 PM
Put an inch of wine in a glass, cover it with saran wrap, punch a few holes in the wrap and the fruit flies will migrate to that and die.

Cheers, John 

mar52
Re:Fruit Flies - Sat, 10/15/11 2:28 PM
I will try that!  Be back in a couple of minutes.

mayor al
  • Total Posts : 15073
Re:Fruit Flies - Sat, 10/15/11 2:35 PM
Any time we have bananas in the house (often), we get a bunch of the tiny fruit-flies. No Bananas= no bugs for us.

So Bananas must be consumed the same day we buy them...House rule.

mar52
Re:Fruit Flies - Sat, 10/15/11 2:39 PM
I'm back.

Red or white with flies?

I'm kidding!

mar52
Re:Fruit Flies - Sat, 10/15/11 2:39 PM
We had bananas last week!

DawnT
  • Total Posts : 1286
Re:Fruit Flies - Sat, 10/15/11 3:08 PM
Every so often we would have an infestation in the student laboratories since they were used for genetics labs and they would be everywhere. I don't know if they still sell them, but Shell used to make "No Pest Strips".  Those took care of the problem pretty fast when the guys from maintainance hung them up around the labs and corridors. These aren't flypaper, but a chemical insecticide strip if they are still made.

Root-Beer Man
  • Total Posts : 331
Re:Fruit Flies - Sat, 10/15/11 4:14 PM
I get the same problem this time of year. Wish I had a solution that you haven't already used or had suggested for you. The pest strips do seem to work pretty well. I see these same flies hanging out in the produce section of my local stores. Usually near the onions. I always make sure to give the bags a decent shake before they hit my basket.
<message edited by Root-Beer Man on Sat, 10/15/11 5:52 PM>

felix4067
  • Total Posts : 3305
Re:Fruit Flies - Sat, 10/15/11 4:23 PM
mar52

I'm back.

Red or white with flies?

I'm kidding!

Definitely red!

Beer also works. By the way...when you tried the vinegar with dish soap thing, did you put saran wrap with holes poked in it over the top of the dish? If not, then that would be why it didn't work.

Dump some bleach down all of your drains, too. A lot of times they end up living in the crook of the pipe because food gets stuck there. Especially if you have a garbage disposal.
<message edited by felix4067 on Sat, 10/15/11 4:24 PM>

mar52
Re:Fruit Flies - Sat, 10/15/11 4:43 PM
Aha!  No Saran on the cider/soap dish.  It was amazing to me how either evaporation was very fast in my kitchen or those suckers drank a lot.

I forgot about those fly paper things.  I have some of those somewhere, but I find them disgusting hanging in the kitchen.

chewingthefat
  • Total Posts : 6100
Re:Fruit Flies - Sat, 10/15/11 4:53 PM
Better yet, get 3 bottles of Merlot or Cabernet, chug them, you won't see any fruit flies.

DawnT
  • Total Posts : 1286
Re:Fruit Flies - Sat, 10/15/11 5:46 PM
The No Pest Strips aren't flypaper, it used to be a piece of plastic the color of yellow cheese that sat inside a cardboard holder and sort of smelled like a dog's flea collar. They appear to be available at Home Depot and Lowes.  

mar52

I forgot about those fly paper things.  I have some of those somewhere, but I find them disgusting hanging in the kitchen.

mayor al
Re:Fruit Flies - Sat, 10/15/11 9:21 PM
Remember the Malathion Helicopter spraying that was done over many parts of SoCal in the 90's to kill the Mediterranean Fruit Fly? I recall globs of the sticky insecticide sticking to cars in Beverly Hills and causing a huge legal problem for various govt. agencies.
Different bug, but bigger issue!

mar52
Re:Fruit Flies - Sat, 10/15/11 9:35 PM
Al, I remember that well.

I was sure they were going to kill me.

ann peeples
  • Total Posts : 8317
Re:Fruit Flies - Sun, 10/16/11 9:51 AM
I think chewingthefat has the best solution!
I had a small problem this summer, ( I had a bowl of fresh tomatoes on the counter, the bottom one was rotting) so I threw the offender away, washed the bowl and wiped the counter down with vinegar.Didnt have any problems after that, thankfully.

mar52
Re:Fruit Flies - Sun, 10/16/11 1:44 PM
I have a cemetary of fruit flies floating in wine!

However, millions more are celebrating by having sex on top of the glass while crying over their friends and relatives.

chewingthefat
  • Total Posts : 6100
Re:Fruit Flies - Sun, 10/16/11 4:56 PM
mar52

I have a cemetary of fruit flies floating in wine!

However, millions more are celebrating by having sex on top of the glass while crying over their friends and relatives.

This brings to mind the old saying, "if you can't beat em, join em"!

chefbuba
  • Total Posts : 1956
Re:Fruit Flies - Sun, 10/16/11 10:02 PM
mayor al

Remember the Malathion Helicopter spraying that was done over many parts of SoCal in the 90's to kill the Mediterranean Fruit Fly? I recall globs of the sticky insecticide sticking to cars in Beverly Hills and causing a huge legal problem for various govt. agencies.
Different bug, but bigger issue!

My car got hit by that stuff in the 80's in the SF Bay area. It was a bitc# to get off.

Foodbme
  • Total Posts : 9579
Re:Fruit Flies - Mon, 10/17/11 1:36 AM
If you have one of those outdoor electric Bug Zappers with the blue light in it, bring it inside. Turn out the house lights and plug it in at night when you go to bed. The bugs are drawn to the light and zapped when they hit the grid of electrical wires. A little noisy as they fry thmselves but you'll get used to it!
When the Neighbors see the errie blue light and the sparks flying, they'll just think you're getting ready for Halloween!

mar52
Re:Fruit Flies - Mon, 10/17/11 2:17 AM
I have three of those zappers.  I used to sell them.

These flies are too small, but I'll try tomorrow.  I think one of my zappers might have a vacuum feature to suck them in.

These things multiply faster than rabbits.

mayor al
Re:Fruit Flies - Tue, 10/18/11 2:52 PM
Hmmmm, Comparing reproduction rates of bunnies vs. fruit flies ???   Must be a dull day in The City of Angels !!! 

ChrisOC
  • Total Posts : 902
Re:Fruit Flies - Tue, 10/18/11 8:07 PM
They are driving me crazy here in Ocean City as well!!

stricken_detective
  • Total Posts : 2330
Re:Fruit Flies - Sun, 10/23/11 7:17 PM
If you have an empty salsa jar, clean it out, fill it with apple cider vinegar & a drop of Dawn dishwashing liquid. Poke holes in the top of the lid, then screw it on. Watch & wait. They want the sugar, so they will fly in the holes. They will get so drunk on the vinegar, they won't be able to fly back out. OR the soap kills them. I forget which.

mar52
Re:Fruit Flies - Mon, 10/24/11 1:33 AM
Right now I'm wining them while cruelly killing what seems like thousands of them on fly strips.

These flies get in to everything.  One tiny air hole in a bag of bolillo rolls and overnight the bag is taken over by flies.

I've tried the cider vinegar with soap drop.  I may add it to the countertop lineup.

These flies are digusting.

Foodbme
  • Total Posts : 9579
Re:Fruit Flies - Mon, 10/24/11 2:46 AM

SeamusD
  • Total Posts : 942
Re:Fruit Flies - Mon, 10/24/11 2:58 PM
Can of aerosol hairspray and a grill lighter.

mar52
Re:Fruit Flies - Mon, 10/24/11 3:58 PM
I have a sprayer bottle with water and bleach by the kitchen sink and I spray everything when I'm done cooking or cleaning.

I can't believe the fly out of the refrigerator when I open it.

dimmie2
  • Total Posts : 238
Re:Fruit Flies - Mon, 10/24/11 6:42 PM
Time to open all the windows and doors and freeze the suckers to death, once and for all.

FruitFlyBarPro
  • Total Posts : 2
Re:Fruit Flies - Fri, 02/10/12 9:45 PM
PEST STRIPS HERE -
I HAVE YOUR ANSWERS!!  All these posts never have a method of killing them or ridding them, but a method of trapping them.  You're still not getting rid of them!  Go to and you can purchase a single unit or a case (10 units)  the units last between 3-4 months.  Overall it's worth it!  People talk... and when you have tons of fruit flies people tell others not to go there because of how ANNOYING the fruit flies are!

BelleReve
  • Total Posts : 1138
Re:Fruit Flies - Tue, 02/14/12 2:05 PM
This worked for me, can't say which, or a combination of the methods worked:

Pour a little ammonia down the drains every 2-3 days.

Make traps - fill custard cups with about 1/2 cup white vinegar, secure the top and sides tightly with aluminum foil, then punch holes in the top with an ice pick.  I left a couple on the kitchen counter, and one in the bathroom.  You'll be tempted to peek but will get discouraged.  Wait 4-5 days.  You'll be amazed at how many you trap.  You could probably go on forever but the thought of all those little fly bodies floating on top was kind of gross, so I threw it out, and started a second application.  By the second round, most were gone, and I didn't catch many after that.

I keep a spray bottle of glass cleaner, in the kitchen when they land, give them a spritz, and wipe down with a paper towel.  You can catch a few that way, and your walls will be sparkling.

agnesrob
  • Total Posts : 1790
Re:Fruit Flies - Fri, 02/17/12 6:12 PM
Wow, I wish I had noticed this thread last October when we also had an infestation. My daughters blamed it on their brother's room! I couldn't find fly paper but found a yellow jacket trap and used it. It worked really well. Next time I will use some of these suggestions.

BackRhodes
  • Total Posts : 652
Re:Fruit Flies - Sun, 02/19/12 5:18 PM
"Time flies like crazy, but fruit flies like bananas"   (the late Townes Van Zandt, during a live KFAT-Gilroy radio show during the time San Jose (CA) was being sprayed at night by air and ground for a very serious fruit fly infestation a few decades ago)
<message edited by BackRhodes on Sun, 02/19/12 5:20 PM>

apul
  • Total Posts : 6
Re:Fruit Flies - Tue, 02/21/12 6:46 AM
Check and see if there is a Natural Insect Control business close to you. There will be a "something" that fruit flies like better than you and your store.