KRCB-TV Wine Auction

Double Cheeseburger
2011/10/17 01:27:53
GOOD NEWS: the fantastic KRCB-TV wine auction has amazing wines for bid

BAD NEWS: Tonight is the LAST night...until next weekend

Non commercial KRCB TV & FM has a couple of auctions during the year...Travel + Home For The Holidays are the other auction themes besides this wine and food theme...

KRCB is a PBS tv station  just south of Santa Rosa, but is carried on all (or at least most) the SF Bay Area cable tv system, and also on Dishnet, so this is very accessable to folks in the SF Bay Area (we have a total of 4 PBS tv stations in the SF Bay Area)

While the traditional "Wine Country" (Napa, Sonoma, Mendocino, & Lake counties) wines are very well represented, so is the SLO / Paso Robles area...

This is not only a great way to raise money for the Tv & radio station, it also gives folks a chance to bid on wines they've never heard of from semi obscure wineries, not just the big wineries, which are often owned by faceless corporations far away...

For me, It's like traveling back to my old hometown (Calistoga)...

Food is also on the block, and speaking of Calistoga, 2 nihghts ago I won a dinner for 4 at cafe Sarafornia in Calistoga (this is either at the old hardware store, or at the former Village Green (used to be owned by Jim Atkinson's mother)...

I don't get over to Calistoga very much these days...it really got yuppied out since the 1980's...and for us "old timers" that used to dance at the White Swan Saloon on Saturday nights, the town is no longrer our small bucholic village of 3,500 population...but the entire Napa Valley HAS changed over the last few decades...95% of us "old locals"  that are from the Napa Valley are NOT food gourmats and really don't give a rip about the hoo-haa made about places like the French Laundry, and while many of us actually worked in wineries (including muself) we don't go gaa-gaa over wines...we're just crusty old farts that don't give a sh!t about what tourists come to experience...

That said, check out the KRCB-TV wine auction at www.krcb.org ...

The wine auction will continue NEXT WEEKEND...

I don't know about shipping to out of area bidders...us locals just go to the TV station in Rodent Puke (Rohnert Park) for Pay & Pickup...

OMG...I just discovered that Barefoot Wines is now out of (ugh) Modesto...it used to be a spin off of Davis Bynum Wines on Westside Rd in the Russian River appelation (west of Healdsburg) and although he sold it, but it was still produced on the second floor of the Davis Bynum winery...we never thought of Barefoot as being anything but swill, and I doubt moving to Modesto has improved it any...

Who will I take to dinner...???  friends that I've known for 39 years...they still live in Calistoga, and they were married a week before I was, and he and I hiked up Mt St Helena many times, Hikes up Oat  Hill Mine Rd to the stage coach way station, and often had the canoe out on Lake Berryessa...and during the middle of big storms, we'd put the canoe in the Napa River around Tubbs Lane and zip down the river on the water surge to Pioneer Park in downtown (Calistoga) and walk the canoe 2 blocks to our homes...

Living in the Napa Valley is much different than visiting there...and Calistoga and St Helena has a strong baseball rivalry...and in the trunk of my Cadillac in those "old" days you'd find a baseball mitt, and a hibachi...and it was common to see me riding one of my horses in downtown St Helena back in the 1970's, or down in the Napa River at the Rutherford & Oakville crossroads...

Ah, how I miss those old days 40 years ago...

post edited by BackRhodes - 2011/10/17 01:35:43
Rusty246
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:KRCB-TV Wine Auction 2011/10/17 09:00:49
I work for a PBS station in Gainesville, FL we have a wine tasting event/silent auction every February for our FM station it's very successful and thanks to our governor cutting us out of half a mil we need everything we can get!  So feel free to call us and make a donation at 1-800-338-9838!  Just kidding...sort of.