Hot!The next Contingent gathering...Sun Wah!

Page: 12345 > Showing page 1 of 5
Double Cheeseburger
2011/11/13 18:32:44
Some of you may still be digesting from the Chicago-Milwaukee tour two weeks ago, but it's time to start looking ahead to the next Contingent get-together, and I think I've found just the place.  

Sun Wah BBQ

I went there for the first time last night, and I'm pretty sure I could die happy now.

Regrettably, I did not take pictures, but here's some from other sources:

The Beijing Duck, part 1:
I've never had it before, so I'm not sure if this is how they do it in other restaurants.  The whole duck is brought to your table and carved there.  They give you bao, the little steamed buns, hoisin sauce and some pickled and julienned veggies...the resulting sandwich is a little pillow of happiness.

The Beijing Duck, part 2 (scroll down that post a little for what happens to that duck carcass!):
They take the torso of the duck away and several minutes later, it returns in the form of duck fried rice and duck soup.  

We also ordered the Beef Chow Fun (scroll down that post a little for the picture) and the Pork Belly With Taro Cake, and we were not disappointed.  

All of that food for 4 people (with everyone going home with leftovers) was $20/head, including a 20% tip.

They are very capable of serving large groups, so I think this would be a great pre- or post- holiday excursion.  My guess is that most people's schedules will be more flexible in January, but throw some dates out there even if they're in December and maybe there will be one that works....now if there's a blizzard that day...
abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
Re:The next Contingent gathering...Sun Wah! 2011/11/13 18:37:38
I'll go first...December 10th and 11th are bad for me, and one day the weekend of 12/2 will be bad (mother-in-law's b-day on the 3rd, but not sure what day we're celebrating).  January's wiiiiiiiide open.

ETA: The Beijing Duck requires 24 hours notice, and assuming we're going to be a big group, we'll need even more notice.  If we pick a day in December, I'd like to make the reservation about 5-7 days in advance (they say reservations are harder to get around the holidays).  If we go with a January date, I think 3 days notice should be plenty.
post edited by abe_froeman - 2011/11/13 18:40:21
Gyp
Cheeseburger
Re:The next Contingent gathering...Sun Wah! 2011/11/13 18:39:31
I'm interested. I'll be gone the week before Christmas but other than that the rest of December and all of January should work.
abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
Re:The next Contingent gathering...Sun Wah! 2011/11/13 18:43:45
Oh, and they do a whole roasted pig, too.  Their website doesn't say that needs advance notice, but I'm thinking it's safe to assume it does.
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
Re:The next Contingent gathering...Sun Wah! 2011/11/13 21:05:04

Ah Abe, some wonderful whole Sun Wah  BBQ pig  pictures courtesy of the LTH Forum can be found here: http://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=19738&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=30
and 20 pages on Sun Wah , many with pictures here http://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=2086

Mr. Pig

Mr. Pig sliced

If we get enough diners, perhaps we could order a pig?
abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
Re:The next Contingent gathering...Sun Wah! 2011/11/13 21:17:11
I hope we can!
quijote
Double Cheeseburger
Re:The next Contingent gathering...Sun Wah! 2011/11/13 22:12:05
This sounds like a great place to try. My availability for December and January (so far) is:

December 3, 4, 10, 11, 17, 18
January 14 & 15 (maybe), 21, 22, 28, 29

BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:The next Contingent gathering...Sun Wah! 2011/11/13 22:39:47
Count your Mommy and Daddy in on this one.  If we're going to do this in December, it will need to be before the 20th, that's when we leave for our annual Kansas City Christmas trip.  I can arrange my schedule to accommodate the group, but we'll need to lock in a date in the next 36 hours.  I have to turn in my "availability calendar" to WGN for my December schedule, and it's due by the 15th.  I prefer that we skip all Saturdays due to commitments at Burt's.

If we can't make this happen in December, then January is fine by us.  Same story though, we need to lock in that date by 12/15 so I can turn in my schedule at WGN.

I've been wanting to get over to Sun Wah for awhile now.  Really looking forward to this dinner.  BTW, it looks like Sun Wah could be a real gorge-fest.  Is everyone in agreement that this should be a stand alone dinner as opposed to part of a larger tour?  Maybe we can do a separate dessert thing at another location.  Any suggestions?

Buddy

P.S. abe, have you sent out PMs to all Contingent members?  Some of our folks aren't on Roadfood as much as they used to be and might require some "personal attention".

B.
post edited by BuddyRoadhouse - 2011/11/13 22:41:58
abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
Re:The next Contingent gathering...Sun Wah! 2011/11/13 23:17:53
Oh yes, I was intending for this outing to be this location only.  For every Beijing duck you get, they give you two dishes of sorbet (the flavor when we went was mango-ginger :drool:) but it's a pretty small scoop.  We could probably ask for more, though.

If we want to go somewhere else, this place is right down the block.  In addition to some fabulous pork jerky (more savory than sweet), they make some really good Thai desserts.  Unless it's really windy and/or snowy, we should easily be able to walk there.  

I did not send PM's, but this was also posted on FB, and I talked about it on FB with stricken, but if you need an answer that soon for WGN, I guess I'll send out a PM, too.  
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
Re:The next Contingent gathering...Sun Wah! 2011/11/13 23:33:43
I would not be at all opposed to this being a lunch get together. Boudreaux could then make Burt's n'est pas?

abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
Re:The next Contingent gathering...Sun Wah! 2011/11/13 23:38:45
Yeah, a lunch could be good.  They open at 9:00am (for all your morning Beijng Duck needs!) so could we go early for you to still make it to Burt's on a Saturday, Buddy?  Or lunch on a Sunday, too?
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:The next Contingent gathering...Sun Wah! 2011/11/14 02:24:48
MilwFoodlovers
I would not be at all opposed to this being a lunch get together. Boudreaux could then make Burt's n'est pas?

Not really.  Although we don't open until 4:30, I'm usually there by 2:00-2:30 doing prep work for that evening.

Besides, if I'm going to spend quality time at a great restaurant with my friends, I don't want work looming over my head.  I can adjust my schedule to the group, and I will be happy to devote a day to this outing.  I just need to lock in the day on the 15th of the month prior to the month we're going to get together.  If we're shooting for December, we need to pick a firm date by this Tuesday.  If we're going to wait until January (okay by me), then we need to pick that date by 12/15.

And yes, I do work Sundays, unless I tell them I'm otherwise engaged.  So if we want to go on a Sunday (okay by me), I need to schedule that ahead of time like any other day of the week.

Droolingly yours,
Buddy
X1
Double Cheeseburger
Re:The next Contingent gathering...Sun Wah! 2011/11/14 05:47:58
Sounds good to me. Jan is better than Dec, because of the holidays and also because I'll be in NOLA Dec 1 - 7. 
As far a I know, every weekend (except New Year's Eve weekend) in Jan. is available. 
I'd rather a lunch than a dinner, especially if it's on a Sunday.

Re:The next Contingent gathering...Sun Wah! 2011/11/14 08:15:29
January would be better for us, too, as Mrs. SC works in retail and is likely to be working every weekend through Christmas.

I looked at the map and see that a little northwest of Sun Wah, on Clark Street, is a place called Hamburger Mary's.  The name makes it sound interesting...what's the 411?  (Hamburger Mary J. Blige's?)

Brad
X1
Double Cheeseburger
Re:The next Contingent gathering...Sun Wah! 2011/11/14 08:50:22
Hamburger Mary's is a chain...they just opened a place on KK in Bay View in Milwaukee, too. I haven't been yet, but it's on my list. 
It's LGBT-friendly, which seems to be one of their major selling points, but apparently the burgers are pretty good, too. 

abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
Re:The next Contingent gathering...Sun Wah! 2011/11/14 11:03:53
Sounds like it's a gay-themed Applebee's.  Here's LTH's thread about it.  If you want a good burger in that area, go to Moody's.  It's cozy and dark in the winter and in the summer, they have the best beer garden.

abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
Re:The next Contingent gathering...Sun Wah! 2011/11/14 11:04:46
So, are we leaning towards January?  Seems like that might be better for all.
Re:The next Contingent gathering...Sun Wah! 2011/11/14 12:10:48
MilwFoodlovers
If we get enough diners, perhaps we could order a pig?

Depending on who the diners are 1 pig might be only enough for 2 or 3 people...

Abe, thanks for the tip about Moody's.  I realize that Sun Wah has the potential to be a 1-stop gathering but if I'm going to make that kind of a drive I'd like to at least consider the possibility of 1 or 2 other stops along the way, especially if it's a Saturday.  I can just nibble on a pig hoof...

Brad
irisarbor
Double Cheeseburger
Re:The next Contingent gathering...Sun Wah! 2011/11/14 12:17:43
Another great item at Sun Wah is Mike's Fried Chicken which is off the Secret menu -
At the LTH dinner there we also had a ? clay pot casserole with frog legs that was so delicious.
I love Sun Wah, and am happy for any excuse-
Count me in for a minimum of 2- maybe even the whole clan (6)
Dec 3 is out- Dec 11 has just become out as well...
January probably is better-- whatever is good for the group we can probably make it work.
post edited by irisarbor - 2011/11/14 15:28:24
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
Re:The next Contingent gathering...Sun Wah! 2011/11/14 12:21:28
January is better for me...
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:The next Contingent gathering...Sun Wah! 2011/11/14 14:11:45
Sounds like January is the way to go.  Gives us more time to plan, plus we'll all be suffering from Cabin Fever about then.  This will give us a good excuse to get out and hit the road.

Can we lock in a January date by one month from today?  I'm hearing people leaning toward a Sunday lunch.  Am I interpreting that correctly?  If so, let's pick a Sunday and lock it in.  Other than New Year's weekend we're wide open.

Heck I might even save room for dinner--join the ChickenMan for a burger at Moody's!

Buddy
Re:The next Contingent gathering...Sun Wah! 2011/11/14 15:28:56
Either Saturday or Sunday is usually good for me (except for Jan. 28-29) and depending on things on the home front maybe I could even convince the missus that we should make a weekend of it.  Or convince her to let me make a weekend of it...
post edited by ScreamingChicken - 2011/11/14 15:30:40
AlyceinRoadfoodland
Junior Burger
Re:The next Contingent gathering...Sun Wah! 2011/11/14 15:40:19
I would fly in from California for the whole roasted pig!!
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:The next Contingent gathering...Sun Wah! 2011/11/14 15:48:07
AlyceinRoadfoodland

And you'd be welcome to join us as an auxiliary member of The Contingent.
abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
Re:The next Contingent gathering...Sun Wah! 2011/11/14 16:24:32
Later in the month is usually better for us, so how about Sunday, January 22nd?  Lunch or dinner, I don't have a preference.
AlyceinRoadfoodland
Junior Burger
Re:The next Contingent gathering...Sun Wah! 2011/11/14 16:29:16
How many people do we need to order the whole pig?
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:The next Contingent gathering...Sun Wah! 2011/11/14 16:49:01
abe_froeman

Later in the month is usually better for us, so how about Sunday, January 22nd?  Lunch or dinner, I don't have a preference.

That works for the Bears fans, but the Packers will still be playing on 1/22.
abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
Re:The next Contingent gathering...Sun Wah! 2011/11/14 17:02:30
Homercles cares not for football

post edited by abe_froeman - 2011/11/14 17:06:14
quijote
Double Cheeseburger
Re:The next Contingent gathering...Sun Wah! 2011/11/14 22:39:32
Sunday, January 22 works great for me.... A stop at Moody's for a lite pre- or post-BBQ snack might be a good thing, too.
post edited by quijote - 2011/11/14 22:40:54
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:The next Contingent gathering...Sun Wah! 2011/11/14 22:51:04
JRPfeff

abe_froeman

That works for the Bears fans, but the Packers will still be playing on 1/22.

Maybe.  Okay, probably.  Alright, fine, absolutely.  Happy now?

The point is, playoff games could be played on Saturday or Sunday, afternoon or night game; no way to tell when that game will be scheduled.  Plus, if it's an evening game and we do lunch, you could be back in your safe little Packer cave watching the game and digesting some crispy duck.  Or, we could even hit a local sports bar and watch the game together.  In fact, if it's the conference championship, it could be the Bears versus the Packers.  That might be fun.  Or it could be the downfall of The Contingent.

Anyway, if football is going to be the determining factor, we might just as well wait until after The Superbowl to schedule this outing.  Which I guess is okay with me.

Buddy
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:The next Contingent gathering...Sun Wah! 2011/11/14 23:27:07
BR - I think the conference championships are both on the 22nd.  The next weekend there are no games.  Super Bowl is the following weekend.
abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
Re:The next Contingent gathering...Sun Wah! 2011/11/15 00:06:57
Will we know by December 15th who'll be in the game on January 22nd (or at least who *won't* be?)  
abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
Re:The next Contingent gathering...Sun Wah! 2011/11/15 00:07:50
Will we know by December 15th who'll be in the game on January 22nd (or at least who *won't* be?)  

I like the idea of a sportsbar afterwards...maybe a round of buffalo wings to cleanse the palate!
Re:The next Contingent gathering...Sun Wah! 2011/11/15 08:56:40
BuddyRoadhouse

Or, we could even hit a local sports bar and watch the game together.  In fact, if it's the conference championship, it could be the Bears versus the Packers.  That might be fun.

After having to eat in that revolting Packer-themed room at Beer Belly's I think some serious payback is in order!

JRPfeff
AlyceinRoadfoodland

And you'd be welcome to join us as an auxiliary member of The Contingent.

That sounds so much better than yet another victim...
post edited by ScreamingChicken - 2011/11/15 09:21:29
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:The next Contingent gathering...Sun Wah! 2011/11/15 14:01:39
Brad, I keep forgetting you're still a Flatlander at heart.  Life must be tough for you from roughly training camp through the end of December, and occasionally beyond.  Come into the warm and comforting arms of your fellow Illinois-ing friends; we will ease your pain.

Now keep it down on that "victim" stuff.  We've almost got her.

Buddy
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:The next Contingent gathering...Sun Wah! 2011/11/15 14:22:05
abe_froeman

No.

We'll have pretty a good idea of who will be going into the playoffs, which start after New Year's.  For all you non-football fans out there, six teams from each conference will start in the playoffs with two of those teams being eliminated each week.  First week; the Wild Card games.  Second week; Divisional Playoffs.  Third week, which would be January 22nd, will be the Conference Championship.  The winners of those two games play each other in the Super Bowl.  Last year the Bears and Packers played each other in the Conference Championship game with the Packers coming out on top.  Both teams are playing exceptionally well right now and seem to be on a path to a repeat of last year's scenario.  If that happens, January 22nd will be a crazy day in this town, even though the game is likely to be played in Green Bay.

Now, the weekend of January 7th & 8th, the dates of the Wild Card games has strong potential.  Unless they have a complete breakdown between now and then, the Packers will probably have a bye week.  And even though the Bears would be playing that weekend, it's not as big a deal as the later games, and I would have no problem missing it if that meant I'd spend the day with my friends eating a good meal.  Besides, the Bears might even be playing on Saturday.

So, how does that sound?

Buddy

abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
Re:The next Contingent gathering...Sun Wah! 2011/11/15 15:31:24
7th or 8th is okay if it means no ones mind will be on football (at least as little as some of you may be capable of ) and we don't have to wait until February to go to Sun Wah.
irisarbor
Double Cheeseburger
Re:The next Contingent gathering...Sun Wah! 2011/11/15 15:39:23
the 7th or the 8th sounds good to me if we can stop talking about the Packers
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:The next Contingent gathering...Sun Wah! 2011/11/15 22:35:34
Sunday the 8th was the date I had in mind.

What's the verdict from the rest of the group?

Buddy
quijote
Double Cheeseburger
Re:The next Contingent gathering...Sun Wah! 2011/11/15 23:38:05
BuddyRoadhouse

What's the verdict from the rest of the group?

Buddy

That won't work for me-- January 14 and 15 is probably the earliest weekend in January I can do something, and the 21st and 22nd (and after) is a surer bet.
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:The next Contingent gathering...Sun Wah! 2011/11/16 02:41:12
Any Sunday in January is fine by me.  I suggested the 8th as the one day when the Milwaukee folks, more than likely, wouldn't be consumed with football.  I love my Bears, but given a choice between watching a game and eating a whole roast pig and some crispy duck with my friends, the Monsters of the Midway come in second every time.

You guys tell us when you want to do this.  I just ask that we avoid Saturdays.  Probably a good idea anyway, given Sun Wah's popularity.

Buddy
Re:The next Contingent gathering...Sun Wah! 2011/11/16 09:22:08
BuddyRoadhouse

That works for me, as long as you don't show up in a sequined jumpsuit...
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:The next Contingent gathering...Sun Wah! 2011/11/16 14:34:12
I had to go to Google just to make sure you were talking about what I thought you were talking about.

And you were.

No sequined jumpsuits for me, thang you vurry mudge...

Swivelingly yours,
Buddy
abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
Re:The next Contingent gathering...Sun Wah! 2011/11/16 19:09:03
Maybe we should try this for the next get-togther, or this time, if we can't decide soon:

http://www.doodle.com/

We'd have to use email addresses, though.  Hmm....
abe_froeman
Double Cheeseburger
Re:The next Contingent gathering...Sun Wah! 2011/12/05 11:47:38
We have 10 days to decide so Buddy can make sure he has the day off...other than the football conflict, it sounds like the 22nd was a good day....was there a reason the 29th wouldn't work, since it would avoid the football issue?

Re:The next Contingent gathering...Sun Wah! 2011/12/05 14:35:19
I'll be in Appleton on the 29th but I'm but 1 person, so if that's what the majority wants it'll be my loss.

Brad
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:The next Contingent gathering...Sun Wah! 2011/12/05 18:15:15
I hate to "kick this can down the road", but it's looking like a post-Super Bowl gathering is more realistic for everyone.  Besides, by February 12th the cabin fever should have kicked in sufficiently to get everyone out of their houses, insuring a bigger group and a better shot at the whole pig.

So what does does February look like for everyone?

Buddy
Re:The next Contingent gathering...Sun Wah! 2011/12/06 08:10:15
Looks like 29 days of about 24 hours each for me...

Would we be losing anyone to the Glee Club's annual Presidents' Day weekend?

Brad
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
Re:The next Contingent gathering...Sun Wah! 2011/12/06 11:12:24
I'll be eating jerk pork and drinking cold Red Stripes in February.
For the first time, I plan on being connected and would love to show my Jamaican friends a Contingent gathering and food feast!
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:The next Contingent gathering...Sun Wah! 2011/12/06 14:09:30
So, if we go on January 29th, the weekend in between the Playoffs and the Super Bowl, we lose ScreamingChicken.  If we wait until February, we lose MilwFoodlovers.  Not sure what to do, so you guys tell us.  MFL, are you gone the entire month of February?

Anybody else have any conflicts in February?

Buddy
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
Re:The next Contingent gathering...Sun Wah! 2011/12/06 17:49:45
4th through the 18th.
I think I'm in Chicago more than our pseudo-FIB S.Chicken.
I say wait for him and go in February. If it rocks I'll be there in March, April, May, etc.
I still want Kalbe/Galbi cooked over charcoal with lots of panchan some day. Maybe I'll start the first Spring Contingent get together; maybe to coincide with the re-opening of Kaufmann's Deli/Bakery or the first robin in spring sighting.

BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:The next Contingent gathering...Sun Wah! 2011/12/06 21:16:10
You know it's a leap year, so we get an extra Sunday in February.  We can do this on February 26th if that works for everyone.

If you're already looking at a Contingent spring trip to Chicago, there's Cemita Puebla and Troha's already on the list.  On the other hand, it's been a while since the Cheeseheads have put together a Milwaukee run, so you're due.

And you can still get great bagels (maybe even better than Kaufmann's) at New York Bagel & Bialy.

Buddy

P.S. Wouldn't ChickenMan be a pseudo-Cheesehead since he was born in Illinois and only makes his home in Wisconsin these days?

B.
quijote
Double Cheeseburger
Re:The next Contingent gathering...Sun Wah! 2011/12/07 22:32:24
As far as I know, February 26 works fine for me.
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:The next Contingent gathering...Sun Wah! 2011/12/08 00:21:10
Can we get an "Amen" from the rest of the group for Sunday, February 26th?

Buddy
X1
Double Cheeseburger
Re:The next Contingent gathering...Sun Wah! 2011/12/08 05:30:23
As far as I know, Feb 26 is fine for me too.

MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
Re:The next Contingent gathering...Sun Wah! 2011/12/08 06:18:57
Sweet!

Re:The next Contingent gathering...Sun Wah! 2011/12/08 09:47:45
February's a pretty quiet month for me so I'd say the odds are good for the weekend of Feb. 25-26.

Brad

P.S. I claim dual citizenship between Illinois and Wisconsin.
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
Re:The next Contingent gathering...Sun Wah! 2011/12/08 13:13:31
SC, we'll take you.
Now just sign this binding document renouncing all things Bears and Cubbie's; Sox fans are OK to live here.
(and if you're old enough, NFL Cardinal fans are copecetic)
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:The next Contingent gathering...Sun Wah! 2011/12/08 13:26:04
Sounds like a date is falling into place.  What about our other Chicago members; ChiTownDiner, irisarbor, does that date work for you?  Milwaukee people? Gyp? stricken_detective?  ann peeples? chicagostyledog?  cjucoder?  living4funwi?  Pie Diva (and your travelin' man, JRPfeff)?

There's a roast pig calling your names.  Will you answer?

Buddy
Gyp
Cheeseburger
Re:The next Contingent gathering...Sun Wah! 2011/12/09 01:44:13
Thanks Q for the FB heads up. And thanks Buddy, yes I'm in. Gyp/Chuck T, party of one.
Page: 12345 > Showing page 1 of 5