Kinda Krabby Konklusion

Sirloin
2011/11/27 18:50:22
Those of you might remember a couple of months ago I conducted a poll  recommending where I should go for my final Roadfood Trip of the year. Although Maryland's Eastern Shore was the front runner, due to expenses which were higher than I expected, I chose the runner up- Philadelphia.
I was all set and ready to go until an unexpected October snow storm let loose and as a result cancelled my plans.

Well it seems that all worked out for the best- fares and rental car costs into Baltimore dropped so as you all know majority rules.

Saturday November 19

Catching an early flight into Baltimore  I grabbed my rental car and had some time to kill before my breakfast plans for so a quick stop for some  java at Big Bean in Severna Park was in order. 

Afterwards I headed a couple of miles down the road to The Breakfast Shoppe

and met up with former roadfood poster Meowzart aka Webgoddess (Debbie)  and her Poolboy (Thomas) for those familiar with the website formerly known as Roguefood.  In addition, Signman also joined us as well. 

Arriving a little early, I was expecting the place to be crowded, however there was only about a 20 minute wait.

Debbie ordered the pumpkin pancakes, Thomas ordered this huge gargantuan breakfast casserole, I believe Signman ordered pancakes and homefries and of course being the regionalist I had to go with the mid atlantic specialty Creamed Chipped Beef on Toast.

Actually this is chipped beef on Challah- it was quite good and very filling and definitely held me over till my next meal. 

Debbie is a baker extraordinaire and made some salted oatmeal cookes for me which I ended up nibbling the entire length of my trip.

It was great to see this motley bunch of characters and I'm hoping that the next time around there won't be such a gap in time.

After breakfast I took my first drive over the Chesepeake Bay bridge and arrived in St Michaels MD around noon time.

It's a quaint town with a nautical bent nestled along the Chesapeake Bay.

This sign caught my attention prompting me to get an iced coffee

fortunately or unfortunately there was no blue crab in my coffee..

Strolling around town, I stopped by a local microbrewery called Eastern Shore Brewing. They had a tasting room and I ordered sampler. The wheat ale and porter were my favorites...

After some further strolling it was time for lunch at The Crab Claw.

Being a steamed crab virgin, I was about to be "de-virginized".

Luckily the place setting provides instructions, however my waitress said she would assist as well.

I started out with the oyster soup. 

Unfortunately I wasn't impressed. It was bland and only had a few measly oysters. I'm hoping the crab picking experience will be better

I ordered a dozen medium crabs (that's the biggest they had)

I was in complete awe at what was delivered to my table. There were actually more like 15 crabs that were set in front of me. I spent the next hour or so (at least) just pick- pick- picking away.  I really enjoyed my first experience and it actually led to a happy ending...

Smith Island Cake- A unique regional specialty found only on Maryland's Eastern Shore. It's a multi layer cake and the frosting had  a unique taste and consistency, almost like a hershey's candy bar- it was a fine conclusion to this meal

Since I passed a good part of the afternoon pickin' crab, it was after 3pm when I left the restaurant which didn't give me much time for my final destination in St Michaels.

The Cheseapeake Bay Maritime Museum located actually right next door to the Crab Claw
I had less than an hour to look around since they close at 4pm, however the fee was reduced to $5.00

The museum which is actually comprises several structures depicts the history of bay life including boat building, oystering and crabbing. 

Unfortunately the light house was closed so I couldn't get in

I believe this is a re creation of an eastern shore oyster bar. 

and this is a crab processing plant

There were approximately 15 exhibits, unfortunately I only got to see about 10. 

Afterwards I left St Michael's and stopped in Easton another quaint town on the eastern shore with interesting shops.

I believe this is the courthouse.

It was  dark when I left Easton and just in  time for my  dinner stop.

The Suicide Bridge Resaurant in Hurlock- practically in the middle of no where.   

I started out with Crab Vegetable Soup.The soup was chockfull of crab meat, however I found the broth was bland..

The jumbo lump Crab Cake I ordered was divine

I don't think you can find a better crab cake, my only regret is that I ordered one instead of two.

The sides

onion rings  (not home made) and stewed tomatoes were ok...

In retrospect the main course was obviously the star of this meal. Perhaps next time if  ever return, it will be for lunch so I can enjoy the view.

It was just over an hour drive back to my hotel, about 3 miles outside of Annapolis. I did end up driving into town and spent the evening walking around. I  did stop for a night cap at the Rams Head Brewery, and continued to walk around town afterwards. When I thought my evening was over and was ready to return to my car, I observed an Ice Cream Shop with quite a few people inside. Since it is November, I was surprised the ice cream shop would be crowded.
http://www.annapolisicecream.com/

The Annapolis Ice Cream Company
I walked in and asked the young lady behind the counter if they make their own ice cream and she pointed to the room next door. I ordered one scoop but was told I could get two flavors (or half a scoop of each)  since it twas the season, I got half pumpkin and  half cinnamon.  I think I preferred the cinnamon over the pumpkin but both were certainly above average. 
Unfortunately no photos since I left my camera at the hotel

A sweet end to a long and busy day..

The final chapter tomorrow.

post edited by wanderingjew - 2011/11/29 19:48:21
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
Re:Kinda Krabby 2011/11/27 20:21:20
The crabcake looks very much like the one I had at Faidleys, except it looks like the crab is in smaller pieces, rather than in big chunks

Agreed - two of those and ditch the sides
post edited by TJ Jackson - 2011/11/27 20:27:23
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Kinda Krabby 2011/11/27 21:42:22
TJ

I thought the crab cakes at Suicide Bridge were better than Faidley's

It's been 6 years since I've been to Faidley's, but what stands out is that they nuked my Crabcake when I ordered one there. It kind of put me off.
leethebard
Sirloin
Re:Kinda Krabby 2011/11/28 04:57:10
Great report..looking forward to the final chapter!
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:Kinda Krabby 2011/11/28 17:27:59
Great pictures!I am enjoying this report...looking forard to the rest of the story!
CajunKing
Sirloin
Re:Kinda Krabby 2011/11/28 17:44:31
WJ

A great start to your final RF trip of the year, it is good that you got to catch up with Debbie, Thomas and Signman.  It is always a better meal when friends can share in it with you.

Loooking forward to viewing the rest of the trip.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Kinda Krabby 2011/11/28 17:55:31
WJ, you had blue skies and great scenery and mostly good looking food.  Picking at those crabs can be work

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
carlton pierre
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Kinda Krabby 2011/11/29 08:01:44
I love the eastern shore of MD.  I get that way about 2x a year and your pictures and tales are wonderful.
Re:Kinda Krabby 2011/11/29 08:48:32
Great report so far, WJ.  That pile of crabs looks fantastic!

Brad
AndreaB
Re:Kinda Krabby 2011/11/29 10:43:10
Great report and pics!  I want crab!
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re:Kinda Krabby 2011/11/29 10:45:15
Great report. Keep it coming.
tcrouzer
Cheeseburger
Re:Kinda Krabby 2011/11/29 15:12:31
As usual, a wonderful report filled with so many great photos, some that tell a story all by themselves.
Thanks, WJ!
josefinajoisey
Hamburger
Re:Kinda Krabby 2011/11/29 18:44:53
Are you going near Chestertown?  My favorite place on the Eastern Shore!
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Kinda Krabby 2011/11/29 19:44:34
Thanks everyone......

now on with the crustaceans....

Sunday November 20

Unfortunately unlike yesterday, today was a cloudy day, although no rain was in the forecast which is always good.
Having done some research I imbibed on some morning Joe at Zu Coffee in Suburban Annapolis. The dark roast was surprisingly better than I expected and If I return to Annapolis I would likely sooner return there than head directly into town to try to scope coffee downtown.

After coffee,  and a couple of Debbie's Salted Oat Meal Cookies to hold me over, i left Annapolis and headed down to St Mary's County in Southern Maryland to an old favorite  St Mary's Landing.

The restaurant was pretty  packed with locals when I arrived.  The waitress asked if I wanted the buffet and I quickly replied "no, menu please" I knew what I wanted, "The Charlotte Hall"

With the local specialty, stuffed ham as the star of the meal. Stuffed ham is a "corned ham" stuffed with kale, cabbage, onions and spices. It came with a potato cake and choice of bread, in my case, whole grain.  The menu noted that the stuffed ham is served hot, however it is traditionally served cold, my only regret is that I didn't request it cold, because this is the way I've preferred it in the past, but it was still just as good as I remembered.

After breakfast I wanted to explore some of St Mary's County but didn't want to venture too far south since I wanted to head back north for the remainder of the day.

I wanted to head to Copsey's Seafood Market I wasn't sure if I was going to buy anything but just wanted to take a gander.......unfortuately...

Copsey's is no more ....out of business and has been replaced by the Big T's Crab Shack and Seafood Market which was closed anyway.

I walked over to the Drug Store next door and one of the ladies in the pharmacy in back, recommended Thompson's Seafood Market a couple of miles down the road in Mechanicsville.

And I'm glad she did.

I had a nice conversation with the owner who presented with several of their wares....

Including crabs...

both alive

and dead

Oysters

and Rockfish

I mentioned that I just had a big breakfast and was looking for a snack to hold hold me over until I returned to Baltimore...

After perusing the menu

I knew what I really wanted...Since I wasn't having the greatest luck with Soups on this trip, I asked for their crab vegetable soup..

And all I could say is 

WoW!  This is probably the best Crab Soup I've ever had. A spicy broth and chock full of crab meat. As I left the market, I didn't see any seating in the immediate area and in order to get a photo I had to slurp some of the soup because I didn't want to spill any on the hood of the rental car, of course afterwards I observed some picnic tables in my peripheral vision in the distance......Thompson's Seafood was a great find, and if the rest of their seafood is anything like their crab soup, then it truly deserves a Roadfood review.

After exploring "Old Charlotte Hall" I realized there really wasn't anything to see and returned to Baltimore (after hellacious traffic in the DC area due to the Redskins game) 

It's been a while since I had a pit beef sandwich, in fact the last time I enjoyed one was back in 2007. Unfortunately the place I really wanted to check out Pioneer Pit Beef, is closed on Sundays and I really didn't want to return to Chaps since I heard that there is better.  

After doing some research, I decided to check out this place..

Kirkwood Pit Beef

in Catonsville. Their sign advertised free samples
When I entered inside I didn't realize it was take out only, however the counterman said that I could eat in the adjoining pizza parlor, next door, Sorrento's.

I asked for my pit beef, medium rare served with horseradish and a smattering of raw onion and bbq sauce (I forgot to ask for mayo) with sides of beans and fresh cut fries with a request for a sprinkling of old bay and a spritz of cider vinegar on the fries....

This sandwich certainly delivered and was just as good as it looks. Loaded with  pink, tender  and flavorful pit beef. Certainly better than what I remembered Chaps to be and as good as this sandwich was, I can't imagine how much better Pioneer would have been had they been open. 
In the parking lot of Kirkwood Pit Beef and Sorrento's  Pizza Parlor I noticed a sign for sweet potato pumpkin shakes. 
Curiousity got the best of me. After I finished my meal inside Sorrento's
I asked for the pumpkin shake and was told it was actually made from Sweet Potato. I ordered one in the interest of "research"

and it was actually quite good, the thick and refresing shake not only tasted like pumpkin pie but it had actual bits of pie dough in the shake.

After lunch, I drove to downtown Baltimore and parked in the heart of Little Italy and strolled around admiring the architecture and signage.

I walked by the flag house and star spangled banner museum and unfortunately they were closed. This is where the flag was made that
inspired Francis Scott Key to write our national anthem.

I also walked by the Shot Tower

I believe this is where they manufactured Musket Pellets in the old days. It too was closed. I understand Michael Hoffman was a regular customer. 

On my walk over to fells point I also caught glimpse of

The Baltimore Tattoo Museum- they were open but I had no desire to check the place out..

Fells Point, an old Baltimore Neighborhood full of cobblestone streets and brick building which houses quaint shops, bars and restaurants is a fun place to spend the afternoon.

One of the landmarks....

Bertha's, is famous for their Mussels. I visited their bar which appeared to be as old as dirt, sat down, actually had a Brew out of Philadelphia's Yards Brewing Company called Thomas Jefferson's Tavern ale and watched the Ravens play Cincinnati....In fact while walking around Fells Point it appeared everyone was at a bar watching the Ravens Game....

After walking around a little more I stopped at one of my favorite coffee houses, the Daily Grind for an iced coffee..

At this point, around 4pm it was starting to sprinkle a little, this surprised me because the forecast called for no rain.  It wasn't too bad though and I made my way back through little Italy to Harbor East. I've never been to this part of the Inner Harbor before and strolled around a bit before heading to my final stop for dinner.. 

Joining the Ravens game  traffic out of Baltimore I slowly made my way to this favorite standby...

The G & M Restaurant
 When I arrived, Signman was already there, and shortly afterwards Buffetbuster's  "Cousin Johnny" well actually, he's everyone's  favorite cousin. I hadn't seen Johnny in two years since the Buffalo Bus tour.
I knew what I was getting....

The double Crabcake plate- I wasn't making the same mistake I did the day before by just ordering one...

Signman I believe got one crabcake...

and Cousin Johnny got the baked stuffed oysters

The crabcakes were just as good as I remembered, I couldn't tell you which were better the crabcakes at G & M or the crabcakes at Suicide Bridge. They were both fantastic.

Unfortunately the onion rings were not as good as the ones I remembered enjoying on my last visit 4 years ago and Signman warned me about that before hand.

After dinner and saying our goodbyes I headed back to the airport for my flight back home. I was actually back home just after 11pm..

--

Stay tuned since there are no more trips planned for the year, however I will  begin "2011 the year in review" sometime within the next week or two. 
post edited by wanderingjew - 2011/11/30 21:50:20
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Kinda Krabby 2011/11/29 22:25:33
I haven't spoken to Johnny for a while, so I wasn't aware that he did meet up with you and Signman.  Excellent!  Great report WJ!  Man, I love stuffed ham!
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Kinda Krabby 2011/11/29 23:12:33
Thanks for the report WJ, as always, a great read!
CajunKing
Sirloin
Re:Kinda Krabby 2011/11/29 23:25:08
WJ

you were even the entertainment for the evening @ St Mary's Landing
"The Wanderers" were there performing.

I miss that part of the world, The friendly little seafood markets and the great CRABS (no Im not talking about Michael Hoffman either)

Thanks for bringing us along Dale.
Re:Kinda Krabby 2011/11/30 08:52:28
WJ, do you remember what G & M's oysters are stuffed with?  I hope they tasted as good as they looked, without the celery overload I've encountered in some stuffed seafood dishes.

Great writeup!

Brad
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Kinda Krabby 2011/11/30 09:46:09
ScreamingChicken

WJ, do you remember what G & M's oysters are stuffed with?  I hope they tasted as good as they looked, without the celery overload I've encountered in some stuffed seafood dishes.

Great writeup!

Brad

Brad

I didn't have the stuffed oysters so I don't know what they were stuffed with.
If they're anything like the crabcakes I enjoyed then it's very unlikely that there was one iota of celery in those stuffed oysters.

Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Kinda Krabby 2011/11/30 10:55:37
I was there a year ago with Iwanago.  She was in a meeting and I had the chance to explore.  We enjoyed G&M crabcakes.  They were outstanding but the ones you had previously looked better.  I walked a lot in the downtown area and our hotel was located next to the harbor.  Lotsa stuff going on there.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Kinda Krabby 2011/11/30 11:29:44
buffetbuster

I haven't spoken to Johnny for a while, so I wasn't aware that he did meet up with you and Signman.  Excellent!  Great report WJ!  Man, I love stuffed ham!

Thanks,

and once again, after we all turned down dessert, your face popped into my head with an intense expression of dissaproval.
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
Re:Kinda Krabby Konklusion 2011/11/30 15:37:19
wanderingjew
...I was about to be "de-virginized".

Luckily the place setting provides instructions, however my waitress said she would assist as well.

I really enjoyed my first experience and it actually led to a happy ending...

Say WHAT????

I swear this web site gets racier and racier every time I log on here.

As to the question of what the oysters are stuffed with at G&M, I believe it is crab - almost the same consistency as the crab cakes, themselves.  I think one time I was there, I ordered the stuffed shrimp and that was the way they were presented at the table.  Perhaps signman could offer some additional guidance.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Kinda Krabby Konklusion 2011/11/30 18:56:48
TTM:  That was very good however knowing WJ, the words were probably taken out of contex????

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
ChrisOC
Re:Kinda Krabby Konklusion 2011/11/30 19:33:45
Very nice trip report.  The bit on St Michael's brought back memories.  When I kept a sailboat on the eastern shore, one of our favorite destinations was St Michael's.  We would anchor off the museum, have our cocktail time, and summoned by a blast from our horn, the launch from the Crab Claw would pick us up and ferry us to dinner.  Afterwards they would take us back to our boat.  Great crabs there!
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Kinda Krabby Konklusion 2011/11/30 21:56:58
Josefinajoisey

Sorry, didn't make it to Chestertown this time, maybe next time

ChrisOC

This was my first visit to the Eastern Shore, I really enjoyed it and will return again.

Paul

I deliberately peppered that phrase with subliminal cliches knowing that only TTM 
could "crack the code"
Afterall, we all know TTM's hangout  which he pointed out to me when we were in Charleston which is where he scopes out   Charleston's top illustrious Cougars 

post edited by wanderingjew - 2011/11/30 21:58:43
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
Re:Kinda Krabby Konklusion 2011/12/01 05:18:39
G&M stuffs the oysters with crab (we has some shipped here).
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
Re:Kinda Krabby Konklusion 2011/12/01 05:24:00
Great little tour, wanderingjew!

Smith Island Cake, MD stuffed ham and Baltimore pit beef are still on my bucket list.
eruby
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Kinda Krabby Konklusion 2011/12/01 15:28:32
Great report and truly excellent pictures wanderingjew.

I've been to Pioneer Pit Beef many times but have never even heard of Kirkwood.  It's now on my short list of places to visit. As always, Roadfood.com is the best!
Howard Baratz
Cheeseburger
Re:Kinda Krabby Konklusion 2011/12/01 17:43:38
The Travelin Man

wanderingjew

Say WHAT????

It seems to me that losing your virginity and getting crabs at the same time is just bad luck. 

post edited by Howard Baratz - 2011/12/01 17:45:14
CajunKing
Sirloin
Re:Kinda Krabby Konklusion 2011/12/01 18:07:39
Howard Baratz

The Travelin Man

wanderingjew

Say WHAT????

It seems to me that losing your virginity and getting crabs at the same time is just bad luck. 

He Shoots and SCORES!!!!
ChrisOC
Re:Kinda Krabby Konklusion 2011/12/01 19:07:41

wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Kinda Krabby Konklusion 2011/12/01 19:17:29
Howard Baratz

The Travelin Man

wanderingjew

Say WHAT????

Ok I'll confess- I truly never connected the two- Our "wry" friend Howard Baratz did that all on his own.
ChrisOC
Re:Kinda Krabby Konklusion 2011/12/01 19:27:43
wanderingjew 
Sorry, didn't make it to Chestertown this time, maybe next time 

There is a place in Chestertown, The Old Wharf, That had the best crab bisque I have ever had, but that was many years ago. Don't know if it is still there, or the same.
carlton pierre
Re:Kinda Krabby Konklusion 2011/12/16 18:04:12
Great photos!!  I love Little Italy in Baltimore.  I get there about once a year and I have a "Eat Bertha's Mussels" bumper sticker.  Great place as well.
Benzee
Re:Kinda Krabby Konklusion 2011/12/16 22:21:20
Hello all ,
Fantastic review , with some great folks , always enjoy reading !!

Benzee